Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
XC60 or CR-V 15:17 - Oct 30 with 1419 viewsZx1988

After some car-buying advice please.

Mrs ZX and I are in the market for a used SUV, and are quite taken with either a Volvo XC60 or a Honda CR-V. We're hoping to book a couple of test drives at the weekend to see if either comes across as a stand-out option.

Based on our budget we're probably going to be looking at up to a 2017 version of either, with at least 50,000-75,000 miles on the clock, although there seem to be some good deals to be had on higher-mileage Volvos.

Two questions:

Would any of you recommend one of these over the other?

Are Volvos still renowned for having the thick end of 200k+ miles in their engines, or are they not as good as they used to be? Would it be less of a risk buying a high-mileage Volvo, assuming that it has FSH etc.,?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

XC60 or CR-V on 15:42 - Oct 30 with 1351 viewsScotBlue

Withouty blowing my companies own trumpet try these
https://www.whatcar.com/volvo/xc60/4x4/used-review/n978
https://www.whatcar.com/honda/cr-v/estate/used-review/n19839
We also have a reliability that takes account of a large amount of customer feedback so genuine faults that customers have with their vehicles.
Hope this helps. I used to work for Honda so have always liked the CRV but both are pretty bulletproof. It will as ever come down to your preference on driveability as well as the best deal that you can get for either.
XC60 or CR-V on 15:45 - Oct 30 with 1325 viewsZx1988

XC60 or CR-V on 15:42 - Oct 30 by ScotBlue

Withouty blowing my companies own trumpet try these
https://www.whatcar.com/volvo/xc60/4x4/used-review/n978
https://www.whatcar.com/honda/cr-v/estate/used-review/n19839
We also have a reliability that takes account of a large amount of customer feedback so genuine faults that customers have with their vehicles.
Hope this helps. I used to work for Honda so have always liked the CRV but both are pretty bulletproof. It will as ever come down to your preference on driveability as well as the best deal that you can get for either.

Cheers for that - I put a great deal of stock in the WhatCar used car reviews as it is!

Glad to hear that they're much of a muchness in terms of reliability. I've currently got a Civic Tourer that's still going great guns after 110k miles, so the CR-V would definitely be an obvious choice there. Glad to see that Volvo hasn't lost its reputation for bulletproof motors either!

XC60 or CR-V on 16:04 - Oct 30 with 1291 viewsDaninthecampo

I preferred to drive the Volvo over the CRV but our previous car Hyundai Tuscon was very nice, probably cheaper than the other 2 so you should get a newer car within budget and comes with a 5 year warranty so should be well maintained
XC60 or CR-V on 17:01 - Oct 30 with 1200 viewsPlums

XC60 or CR-V on 15:45 - Oct 30 by Zx1988

Cheers for that - I put a great deal of stock in the WhatCar used car reviews as it is!

Glad to hear that they're much of a muchness in terms of reliability. I've currently got a Civic Tourer that's still going great guns after 110k miles, so the CR-V would definitely be an obvious choice there. Glad to see that Volvo hasn't lost its reputation for bulletproof motors either!

I part-exchanged my Civic Tourer for a Volvo XC40 but had a XC60 auto as a courtesy car and loved it.
TBH, I would have stuck with Honda if they'd made another Tourer or equivalent as I thought it was an excellent car but the Volvo won the day for me when it came to looking at the SUV market. It hasn't been without its niggles though - which I never had with my Honda.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

XC60 or CR-V on 17:02 - Oct 30 with 1193 viewsZx1988

XC60 or CR-V on 17:01 - Oct 30 by Plums

I part-exchanged my Civic Tourer for a Volvo XC40 but had a XC60 auto as a courtesy car and loved it.
TBH, I would have stuck with Honda if they'd made another Tourer or equivalent as I thought it was an excellent car but the Volvo won the day for me when it came to looking at the SUV market. It hasn't been without its niggles though - which I never had with my Honda.

Thankfully we're keeping hold of the Tourer. It's Mrs ZX's 2009 Astra that's getting the chop. It's decided to do that whole Vauxhall thing of deciding that after 100k miles it's just had enough.

Good old British engineering, eh!?

XC60 or CR-V on 19:18 - Oct 30 with 1096 viewssoupytwist

Diesel or petrol engine version of them? At around 50-75,000 miles it might make a difference.

Also, the inside of a modern Volvo is quite a nice place to be but I had a bottom of the range V60 estate as a courtesy car a little while back and it did lack a certain something.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 19:19]
XC60 or CR-V on 20:48 - Oct 30 with 1021 viewsZx1988

XC60 or CR-V on 19:18 - Oct 30 by soupytwist

Diesel or petrol engine version of them? At around 50-75,000 miles it might make a difference.

Also, the inside of a modern Volvo is quite a nice place to be but I had a bottom of the range V60 estate as a courtesy car a little while back and it did lack a certain something.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 19:19]

Diesel version of either.

Going to try and get pretty much the uppermost spec of either - the EX on the Honda, or the SE-Lux/Momentum for the Volvo.

XC60 or CR-V on 09:13 - Oct 31 with 864 viewsDubai_Blue

XC60 or CR-V on 20:48 - Oct 30 by Zx1988

Diesel version of either.

Going to try and get pretty much the uppermost spec of either - the EX on the Honda, or the SE-Lux/Momentum for the Volvo.

Don't discount the Mitsubishi Outlander.
I had the diesel one of that before getting the PHEV version.
Probably cheaper also
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024