Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We don’t need another striker….. 17:39 - Dec 23 with 3730 viewstetchris

But we do need a really good centre half.

Giving away to many goals especially from corners
We don’t need another striker….. on 17:41 - Dec 23 with 3044 viewsBlueBadger

Read all of that to the tune of 'we don't need another herp'

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We don’t need another striker….. on 17:46 - Dec 23 with 3007 viewsstrikalite

Think we do need another striker, nothing has changed there and that'll be first on their list, Hirst needs back up and competition too, an upgrade on Ladapo is a serious must now..
We don’t need another striker….. on 17:53 - Dec 23 with 2973 viewsKev_W

We don’t need another striker….. on 17:46 - Dec 23 by strikalite

Think we do need another striker, nothing has changed there and that'll be first on their list, Hirst needs back up and competition too, an upgrade on Ladapo is a serious must now..

Main needs are stronger physicality and pace. This applies across the team.
We don’t need another striker….. on 17:53 - Dec 23 with 2965 viewssouthnorfolkblue

We’ve only conceded 2 goals from corners all season.

Don’t disagree with you about getting another defender in, but an alternative to Hirst is the priority for me. We need a viable option if he has an off day or gets injured

Poll: Our final position

We don’t need another striker….. on 17:56 - Dec 23 with 2937 viewsle2blue

Yep, 2nd headed goal conceded from a corner this season, utter disaster.

We've lost our 3rd game of the season which is incredible. There's no need to overreact, take it on the chin and believe in our incredible manager to sort things that need fixing.
We don’t need another striker….. on 18:03 - Dec 23 with 2885 viewsbilllm

Deffinatly need another striker
We don’t need another striker….. on 18:10 - Dec 23 with 2848 viewsNutkins_Return

A fully fit and firing Tuanzebe is probably the best CB in this league. It's easy to throw it all at the defence but we play a risk reward style. This isnt all on the defence as frustrated as I am today.

There was an element of damaged limitations second half today. We just need to move on quickly.
We don’t need another striker….. on 18:44 - Dec 23 with 2737 viewsTonytown

We need whatever upgrades can be afforded within ffp in all areas of the pitch.

More pace and power across the team where possible
Login to get fewer ads

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:47 - Dec 23 with 2724 viewspointofblue

For all the plaudits for Morsy and Luongo, they both went missing today. Especially Luongo. Maybe we should look at midfield so we're harder to play through?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:57 - Dec 23 with 2679 viewstextbackup

Don’t need another striker??

You watched and saw Hirst today, didn’t you? Held up nothing, won sod all.

Another option up top is an absolute must

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We don’t need another striker….. on 19:05 - Dec 23 with 2615 viewscbower

We don’t need another striker….. on 17:53 - Dec 23 by Kev_W

Main needs are stronger physicality and pace. This applies across the team.

This is correct. We lack pace all over the pitch to some extent. Chaplin and Broadhead are technically very good. Broady lacks pace though and although Chapper looks quick, he isn't. Hirst's has plenty of assests but pace is not one of them. Burns is quick to be fair but Mass, Morsy, Taylor, Ball are certainly not. Our paciest players are generally substitutes - Jackson, Harness, Hutchinson. Ladapo is reasonably quick but can't seem to get on the pitch - see also the departing Scarlett. At the back, Burgess is certainly not rapid and Clarke looked exposed to pace today as did Axel. Similarly, Wolf has been caught wanting on occasions. Leif is quickish but it's his engine that's impressive rather than his 0-60 figures.
We have to remember how well we have done, the great position we are in but an injection of a bit more pace and physicality would be nice to see in this window.

bluescouser

We don’t need another striker….. on 19:09 - Dec 23 with 2593 viewscbower

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:10 - Dec 23 by Nutkins_Return

A fully fit and firing Tuanzebe is probably the best CB in this league. It's easy to throw it all at the defence but we play a risk reward style. This isnt all on the defence as frustrated as I am today.

There was an element of damaged limitations second half today. We just need to move on quickly.

He really didn’t look like that at times today. He was calamitous on a number of occasions. To coin Mick Mac I think - a bit world beater and panel beater today.

bluescouser

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:18 - Dec 23 with 2405 viewsArnieM

We don’t need another striker….. on 19:05 - Dec 23 by cbower

This is correct. We lack pace all over the pitch to some extent. Chaplin and Broadhead are technically very good. Broady lacks pace though and although Chapper looks quick, he isn't. Hirst's has plenty of assests but pace is not one of them. Burns is quick to be fair but Mass, Morsy, Taylor, Ball are certainly not. Our paciest players are generally substitutes - Jackson, Harness, Hutchinson. Ladapo is reasonably quick but can't seem to get on the pitch - see also the departing Scarlett. At the back, Burgess is certainly not rapid and Clarke looked exposed to pace today as did Axel. Similarly, Wolf has been caught wanting on occasions. Leif is quickish but it's his engine that's impressive rather than his 0-60 figures.
We have to remember how well we have done, the great position we are in but an injection of a bit more pace and physicality would be nice to see in this window.

Absolutely on the money. We played tight into Leeds’ hands today. They hit us on the break (pace) every time. Our forwards lost possession far too easily, often just bundled off the ball ( physicality). The same happened against the budgies. Burns and Chaplin going to ground at the slightest touch . These weren’t given. We need to man up to these challenges.

If we play the same open, expansive style of game against Leicester on Boxing Day we will quite likely lose that game too. We were naive today …. Are we going to repeat this again I wonder?

We all know this squad is not PL standard, so maybe not be too hard on the players that have given their all this season snd so far played really well. But today’s game tells us a lot about where we really are snd what needs to change to go forward.

All is not lost. But as McK says we need to learn from it. In Ashton & McKenna I honestly do trust. This Club’s development is an ongoing project. One game is not going to alter that course but it does highlight where we are and what our weaknesses are. That can’t be changed in one January window . We’re another level higher in the football pyramid and that quality takes time …. And money to achieve. So let’s keep the faith and get down to PR on Boxing Day and let’s go again.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:31 - Dec 23 with 2343 viewsjayessess

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:18 - Dec 23 by ArnieM

Absolutely on the money. We played tight into Leeds’ hands today. They hit us on the break (pace) every time. Our forwards lost possession far too easily, often just bundled off the ball ( physicality). The same happened against the budgies. Burns and Chaplin going to ground at the slightest touch . These weren’t given. We need to man up to these challenges.

If we play the same open, expansive style of game against Leicester on Boxing Day we will quite likely lose that game too. We were naive today …. Are we going to repeat this again I wonder?

We all know this squad is not PL standard, so maybe not be too hard on the players that have given their all this season snd so far played really well. But today’s game tells us a lot about where we really are snd what needs to change to go forward.

All is not lost. But as McK says we need to learn from it. In Ashton & McKenna I honestly do trust. This Club’s development is an ongoing project. One game is not going to alter that course but it does highlight where we are and what our weaknesses are. That can’t be changed in one January window . We’re another level higher in the football pyramid and that quality takes time …. And money to achieve. So let’s keep the faith and get down to PR on Boxing Day and let’s go again.

Not sure why today's game, rather than the other 22 games we've played this season, tells us "where we really are".

Also, not sure what part of calling our forwards weak, our manager naive, declaring we'll lose if we keep playing the same way we have been all season (record so far: 16 wins 4 draws 3 losses), constitutes "keeping the faith".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:33 - Dec 23 with 2326 viewsArnieM

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:31 - Dec 23 by jayessess

Not sure why today's game, rather than the other 22 games we've played this season, tells us "where we really are".

Also, not sure what part of calling our forwards weak, our manager naive, declaring we'll lose if we keep playing the same way we have been all season (record so far: 16 wins 4 draws 3 losses), constitutes "keeping the faith".

It tells us where we are ( IMHO) because Leeds to all intents and purposes are a premier league outfit . As are Leicester and Saints. It’s how we perform against these better players thst tells us where we are.

If we play the same way against Leicester ( also a strong, quick on the break, team like Leeds) the same way as we’ve played against Leeds today I’d say that would be naive not to learn from this defeat today wouldn’t you? We’ve played against Leeds twice now, and we’ve not adapted how we play to meet their threat (strengths) ….. is that good then?

Edit: and for the record( since there are a few in here who like to trust my words), I think our manager is absolutely outstanding! We’re VERY lucky to have him and I hope he stays for several years to come. But he is an inexperienced manager, however what he ( and his staff ) have achieved so far is nothing short of a miracle at this club. I just hope he tweaks things a bit against Leicester, because we can’t be do open in our play against these really good PL experienced sides.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 20:53]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:47 - Dec 23 with 2255 viewsWickets

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:44 - Dec 23 by Tonytown

We need whatever upgrades can be afforded within ffp in all areas of the pitch.

More pace and power across the team where possible

Yes we struggled in midfield but honestly we struggled all over the pitch .Leeds really up for it with several Premier league quality players maybe one eye on being g in the shop window ,
We don’t need another striker….. on 21:06 - Dec 23 with 2204 viewsjayessess

We don’t need another striker….. on 20:33 - Dec 23 by ArnieM

It tells us where we are ( IMHO) because Leeds to all intents and purposes are a premier league outfit . As are Leicester and Saints. It’s how we perform against these better players thst tells us where we are.

If we play the same way against Leicester ( also a strong, quick on the break, team like Leeds) the same way as we’ve played against Leeds today I’d say that would be naive not to learn from this defeat today wouldn’t you? We’ve played against Leeds twice now, and we’ve not adapted how we play to meet their threat (strengths) ….. is that good then?

Edit: and for the record( since there are a few in here who like to trust my words), I think our manager is absolutely outstanding! We’re VERY lucky to have him and I hope he stays for several years to come. But he is an inexperienced manager, however what he ( and his staff ) have achieved so far is nothing short of a miracle at this club. I just hope he tweaks things a bit against Leicester, because we can’t be do open in our play against these really good PL experienced sides.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 20:53]

But we don't play in the Premier League, we play in the Championship and as it stands we are the second best team in it, halfway through the season. That's where we are.

I think it's naïve to imagine there's a tactical magic wand (or even a transfer window magic wand) you can wave that means you never get beat, even in difficult away games, even when you execute the plan you do have badly, even when you concede to the opposition's first shot on goal and everything goes from bad to worse from then on.

Also pretty naïve to suggest we can just abandon our usual patterns of play in one-off games and somehow be a first-class low-block-counter-punch team with a click of the fingers. Doesn't work like that.

Finally, who knows how we'd have played today if we'd kept the scoresheet blank for longer than 8 minutes. At Middlesbrough, Southampton, Watford at times, even Bristol City, when we were drawing/winning we did defend our box and let them play in front of us for long periods. But you've no option but to be a bit more proactive at 1-0/2-0 down.

For me "keeping the faith" is understanding that even if we end getting promoted, we'll have lost games along the way, but you keep faith in the manager, his players and his principles.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 21:42]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We don’t need another striker….. on 23:42 - Dec 23 with 1969 viewscressi

We definitely do we only have one half decent one at the club at present
We don’t need another striker….. on 00:34 - Dec 24 with 1888 viewsIllinoisblue

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:10 - Dec 23 by Nutkins_Return

Is he still not fully fit? It’s taking a while

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We don’t need another striker….. on 08:11 - Dec 24 with 1661 viewsHerbivore

We don’t need another striker….. on 00:34 - Dec 24 by Illinoisblue

Is he still not fully fit? It’s taking a while

Definitely not match sharp. He had a bit of a shocker yesterday but wasn't the only one. If Woolf had played like that he'd be getting crucified by some though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We don’t need another striker….. on 08:12 - Dec 24 with 1649 viewsHerbivore

And to the thread in general, I'm not sure I've seen a player/position that's been spared the need to be replaced. Remarkable that we're second in the table, 7 points clear of third, sat on 52 points with a group of players that needs completely replacing.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 8:13]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We don’t need another striker….. on 08:26 - Dec 24 with 1598 viewsbournemouthblue

We don’t need another striker….. on 17:53 - Dec 23 by southnorfolkblue

We’ve only conceded 2 goals from corners all season.

Don’t disagree with you about getting another defender in, but an alternative to Hirst is the priority for me. We need a viable option if he has an off day or gets injured

We tend to finish games poorly with Hirst off the field, whoever we have tried, hasn't given us the same level of territorial control

Ladapo I think it probably better suited to games where you have the opposition pinned back and they're sitting deep, which is probably why he was more effective in League One

We need another mobile foward who can hold the ball up and work their socks off. A player like that is going to be difficult to find but I'm sure McKenna will find someone.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

We don’t need another striker….. on 08:40 - Dec 24 with 1557 viewsMK1

Not sure we need another CB. Strong CM and a beast of a CF would be my main priority.
We don’t need another striker….. on 09:18 - Dec 24 with 1499 viewsGarv

We don’t need another striker….. on 18:57 - Dec 23 by textbackup

Don’t need another striker??

You watched and saw Hirst today, didn’t you? Held up nothing, won sod all.

Another option up top is an absolute must

Strange choice of player to be criticizing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We don’t need another striker….. on 09:19 - Dec 24 with 1495 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thunderdome.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024