Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? 12:53 - May 5 with 1009 viewsGeoffSentence

Rather than doing everythng to delay it.

In the end they finished 7 points clear of Leeds, which may well have been 10 points if their players had not already been on the beach yesterday, and 10 goals clear as well.

From what we've seen in the past, i don't think anyone has had a points deduction big enough to cancel out that lead.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:04 - May 5 with 937 viewsmylittletown

I suspect that we could do with them getting a big points deduction next year.

Although the really huge points deduction should be handed to ManC, who are about to cheat their way to another title. (And yes, they are the best side, but how do they fund it within the rules)
[Post edited 6 May 11:15]
Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:36 - May 5 with 838 viewsRadlett_blue

I don't think the Football League were entitled to deduct points from Leicester as their offences were committed when they were in the PL.
They definitely wanted to delay the process as they had effectively gambled their financial future on getting straight back into the PL. The son of their late ThaI owner is apparently nowhere near as shrewd as his father.
A large points deduction for next season would suit us nicely. One out of Norwich & WBA to win the play offs & that's 2 clubs we have a good chance of outpacing next season, although I think McKenna will be aiming a lot higher than that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:41 - May 5 with 811 viewsGeoffSentence

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:36 - May 5 by Radlett_blue

I don't think the Football League were entitled to deduct points from Leicester as their offences were committed when they were in the PL.
They definitely wanted to delay the process as they had effectively gambled their financial future on getting straight back into the PL. The son of their late ThaI owner is apparently nowhere near as shrewd as his father.
A large points deduction for next season would suit us nicely. One out of Norwich & WBA to win the play offs & that's 2 clubs we have a good chance of outpacing next season, although I think McKenna will be aiming a lot higher than that.

Yep, suits us nicely. Just wonder if Leicester could have held up their hands and aid its a fair cop, we'll take the penlty thi year.

Of course they ould have needed hindsight to risk that, but in the event it probably would have been better for them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:42 - May 5 with 807 viewsSwansea_Blue

Arguably, yes. Given the quality of their squad for this league, it would be much easier for them to overcome a deduction that puts them in the POs than to survive 38 games next season with a -10 point start.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:43 - May 5 with 802 viewsstonojnr

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:36 - May 5 by Radlett_blue

the football league cant, but only because theyve not got an agreement with the FA/EPL to do so, which is pretty stupid because clearly they did benefit in the football league by breaking those rules in the prem.

and lets say they ended up like we did and didnt get back to the Premier league for 22 years, would they really expect to wait that long to be sanctioned by the Premier league, by which time they could be owned by completely different people and clearly none of the playing staff or team would be the same.

its a loophole that both league and FA should be keen to close rapidly.
Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:45 - May 5 with 782 viewsRadlett_blue

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 13:43 - May 5 by stonojnr

the football league cant, but only because theyve not got an agreement with the FA/EPL to do so, which is pretty stupid because clearly they did benefit in the football league by breaking those rules in the prem.

and lets say they ended up like we did and didnt get back to the Premier league for 22 years, would they really expect to wait that long to be sanctioned by the Premier league, by which time they could be owned by completely different people and clearly none of the playing staff or team would be the same.

its a loophole that both league and FA should be keen to close rapidly.

Well, Leicester have form for this. They breached FFP when getting promoted in 2013-14 & while the PL couldn't touch them & neither could the FL, they made a £3.1m settlement with the Football League in 2018. nice bit of business by their owner!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Doctrine of Conflicting Defenses on 17:05 - May 5 with 569 viewsScottCandage

Leicester could not have done that. Their whole argument was the EFL does not have the authority to punish them for PL rule breaking. Once they made that argument, they could not then turn around and say, "You know, it benefits us if the EFL punishes us rather than the PL, so let's just say the EFL DOES have that authority."
Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 17:11 - May 5 with 532 viewsFrimleyBlue

We could have timed promotion at the best possible moment

Clubs getting point deductions and more very concerned about getting them.

There could be deals to be done with all clubs in the prem.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Would Leicester have been better off sttling for a points deduction this year? on 17:13 - May 5 with 527 viewsSawtrich

We are Champions morally for sure. Imagine breaking all the financial rules, being awarded 13 penalties to your main challengers 3 and then complaining these challengers are the lucky ones!! Absolutely bonkers. And they finished one point above us!!
The Doctrine of Conflicting Defenses on 17:15 - May 5 with 514 viewsExiled2Surrey

The Doctrine of Conflicting Defenses on 17:05 - May 5 by ScottCandage

Leicester could not have done that. Their whole argument was the EFL does not have the authority to punish them for PL rule breaking. Once they made that argument, they could not then turn around and say, "You know, it benefits us if the EFL punishes us rather than the PL, so let's just say the EFL DOES have that authority."

I think the point is that they argued that point strongly and won that argument - so kicked that can down the road

I dont know the rules, but If they had been able to translate that into a Championship points deduction, then in hindsight that might have been a smart move. But I would also say that at the time they were having these discussions, they were in freefall in the league and so they would not have been remotely confident of achieving a 10 point gap - so really it was a risk they could not take even if that was a possible outcome

now they are banking on being able to get away with it entirely - fingers crossed that does not happen, but who knows given what has happened elsewhere...
The Doctrine of Conflicting Defenses on 17:29 - May 5 with 467 viewsPinewoodblue

The Doctrine of Conflicting Defenses on 17:15 - May 5 by Exiled2Surrey

I think the point is that they argued that point strongly and won that argument - so kicked that can down the road

I dont know the rules, but If they had been able to translate that into a Championship points deduction, then in hindsight that might have been a smart move. But I would also say that at the time they were having these discussions, they were in freefall in the league and so they would not have been remotely confident of achieving a 10 point gap - so really it was a risk they could not take even if that was a possible outcome

now they are banking on being able to get away with it entirely - fingers crossed that does not happen, but who knows given what has happened elsewhere...

Suspect there will be a points next, for the season just ended, when Leicester are next relegated

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024