Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Angry Colchester fans 14:28 - May 8 with 5029 viewsMidlandBlue25

I’ve seen a lot of angry Colchester fans in recent days moaning about Ipswich fans from Colchester. How well supported are we there? Are there more Ipswich fans than Colchester fans in their own town?

Is that why they are so angry all the time, salty seeing Colchester station full of Town fans every other week 🤣🤣
Angry Colchester fans on 18:18 - May 8 with 788 viewsessexpaul64

Angry Colchester fans on 14:34 - May 8 by bluelagos

I went to school in Colchester in the 80s and I reckon it was 90% Ipswich fans back then where I schooled - certainly in terms of going to matches. No idea what it's like now, but fans of a certain age are defo more likely to follow Ipswich.

As an aside I went through Stratford on a match day a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe how many Chelmsford based West Ham fans got on the train. Hundreds of 'em which felt wrong to me - surely we are a better option for the poor deluded souls.

I remember coming back from our away game at Cardiff and as i passed through Reading, i couldnt believe how many West Ham fans were getting on the train.
Angry Colchester fans on 18:35 - May 8 with 730 viewsSharkey

Angry Colchester fans on 15:15 - May 8 by Europablue

You haven't seen a lot of angry Colchester fans because there aren't a lot of Colchester fans!
There probably are more Ipswich fans in Colchester, especially now. I'm from Chelmsford and there were always more Ipswich fans than Chelmsford fans.
It's difficult to say who one should support. I've always considered myself a proper fan. My Dad always drove us past Colchester and we're originally from Southend, so I could have supported them, but we started supporting Ipswich because my Dad was annoyed at having to pay full price for a child ticket at Southend, and he's been watching them ever since.
I represented Ipswich in the playground in Essex for years and never stopped supporting them. I do have family in Suffolk, so maybe I qualify to support Ipswich!

It’s that ‘especially now’ bit of course that strikes a special note with Colchester fans who lately have seen people getting all excited who they didn’t even know liked football.

But I honestly don’t think Town’s success does any damage to the U’s. If anything it helps. People talk about football, Town is sold out, people feel they’re missing out and fancy going to a game. even after four miserable years, and despite being the team thats gone longest without promotion, crowds have been on the up rin recent seasons, most noticeably in the last few months. If the U’s could just do a half-decent season I’m confident crowds would be up to about 6 or 7000, which may not sound a lot but which is of course more than they got when finishing above Town in the Championship.

Personally I’m heartened to see the way young people are developing a positive fan culture at Colchester, with flags and so on. ( I particularly like the Lua Lua flag).
Angry Colchester fans on 18:46 - May 8 with 708 viewsstonojnr

I went to school in Colchester in the 80s and I reckon it was 90% Ipswich fans back then where I schooled - certainly in terms of going to matches. No idea what it's like now, but fans of a certain age are defo more likely to follow Ipswich.

As an aside I went through Stratford on a match day a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe how many Chelmsford based West Ham fans got on the train. Hundreds of 'em which felt wrong to me - surely we are a better option for the poor deluded souls.

tbf most of them probably were town fans back in the day, but you know 22 years is a fair old time, and then moving to Stratford made it even easier for them especially when they werent charging that much for season tickets, had a bit of success etc etc.
Angry Colchester fans on 18:59 - May 8 with 699 viewsLeaky

Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 by Guthrum

Don't forget the ITFC diaspora. There are people travelling from as far afield as Cornwall for most home games.

Probably a large proportion of town fans come from outside Ipswich
Angry Colchester fans on 19:21 - May 8 with 663 viewsDBaldy

Angry Colchester fans on 15:00 - May 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

I get pelted with eggs on PE Way as I drive out of Cheltenham for a Ipswich game.
"Why aren't you at Whaddon Road?" they shout.

"Because its sh*t", I mouth from behind my closed windows
[Post edited 8 May 15:03]

Isn't Cheltenham's ground called the "Totally Suzuki Stadium" these days?

I went to the away game there last season and while Cheltenham itself is very nice, the stadium is indeed totally Suzuki.
Angry Colchester fans on 19:33 - May 8 with 645 viewsPlums

I bumped into a few at Cambridge services after the Exeter game last season. They were singing 'we support our local team' as quite a few Town fans were wandering in.
One asked me why there were so many of us.
'Because we're a big club mate'
The poor soul seemed baffled.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Angry Colchester fans on 19:38 - May 8 with 619 viewsSwansea_Blue

Angry Colchester fans on 14:41 - May 8 by homer_123

It's a weird thing.

Friday nights at Layer Road followed by Saturdays at Portman Road was a regular for an awful lot of Town fans back in the day.

Then we all became tribal w@ankers and wanted to beat the crap out of someone because their polyester shirt is a different colour.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Angry Colchester fans on 19:40 - May 8 with 614 viewsBlueBadger

Angry Colchester fans on 17:15 - May 8 by Europablue

It makes me sick too, but the reason there are so many West Ham fans in Chelmsford is that they are being pushed out of London and they come to Chelmsford with their knife and gun crime and push up house prices and push out local people.

State of this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Angry Colchester fans on 20:10 - May 8 with 580 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Angry Colchester fans on 19:21 - May 8 by DBaldy

Isn't Cheltenham's ground called the "Totally Suzuki Stadium" these days?

I went to the away game there last season and while Cheltenham itself is very nice, the stadium is indeed totally Suzuki.

It's the 'Totally Suzuki Stadium' in the media, on the gate, and on programmes, but no one from Cheltenham would ever call it that.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Angry Colchester fans on 21:26 - May 8 with 508 viewstiptreeblue

Angry Colchester fans on 17:25 - May 8 by Herbivore

Sorry, people who have the financial resources to buy property in Chelmsford are moving there from London and bringing gun and knife crime with them into the bargain? This sounds like complete dog whistle bullsh!t, which is no surprise given it's coming from you.

He obviously lives in Chelmsford, do you?, If not, how can you comment on his position? unless of course you have a grievance, with him which this comes across as
Angry Colchester fans on 21:26 - May 8 with 513 viewsPendejo

Bumped into sad and angry Colwho fan after getting back from Newcastle, he didn't believe we'd been to the game despite ticket stubs and programmes.
He really was a frightfully boring oik.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Angry Colchester fans on 21:35 - May 8 with 497 viewsDinnernotTea

Angry Colchester fans on 18:35 - May 8 by Sharkey

It’s that ‘especially now’ bit of course that strikes a special note with Colchester fans who lately have seen people getting all excited who they didn’t even know liked football.

But I honestly don’t think Town’s success does any damage to the U’s. If anything it helps. People talk about football, Town is sold out, people feel they’re missing out and fancy going to a game. even after four miserable years, and despite being the team thats gone longest without promotion, crowds have been on the up rin recent seasons, most noticeably in the last few months. If the U’s could just do a half-decent season I’m confident crowds would be up to about 6 or 7000, which may not sound a lot but which is of course more than they got when finishing above Town in the Championship.

Personally I’m heartened to see the way young people are developing a positive fan culture at Colchester, with flags and so on. ( I particularly like the Lua Lua flag).

What is the average crowd for the last 4 years at Col Who?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Angry Colchester fans on 08:29 - May 9 with 382 viewsHelp

There are a lot of London club fans in Colchester. Tots. Hams. Etc.
Angry Colchester fans on 09:59 - May 9 with 325 viewsglasso

I'm from Chelmsford and pretty much everybody back in the 90s/early 2000s was either Spurs or West Ham. Can barely remember another Ipswich fan from there - could name maybe three.

These days it's probably quicker to jump on a train from Chelmsford to Stratford than it is to Ipswich.

But the platform at Stratford is always rammed with Ipswich fans heading out of town on match days
Angry Colchester fans on 10:10 - May 9 with 294 viewsReusersTown

Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

Let me think. Not very far between the two towns really.

Ipswich, just promoted to the EPL and on the up.
Colchester, avoided relegation to Non-League football pretty late in the season.

Nope, anyone else know why there might be a lot of Town fans in Colchester?
I for one am shocked!
[Post edited 8 May 14:57]

It's always been the way since I've been alive, nothing new.
[Post edited 9 May 10:11]
Angry Colchester fans on 10:11 - May 9 with 292 viewsDinnernotTea

Angry Colchester fans on 09:59 - May 9 by glasso

I'm from Chelmsford and pretty much everybody back in the 90s/early 2000s was either Spurs or West Ham. Can barely remember another Ipswich fan from there - could name maybe three.

These days it's probably quicker to jump on a train from Chelmsford to Stratford than it is to Ipswich.

But the platform at Stratford is always rammed with Ipswich fans heading out of town on match days

Mid Essex and South Essex will always be West Ham. Especially now they're in Stratford. Hopefully we can now fully take over North Essex. Colchester, Clacton, Harwich etc - that's some population to tap into. It's always been there but survive Year 1 & Year 2 in the Prem and it could go to new levels.

Angry Colchester fans on 10:15 - May 9 with 287 viewsDinnernotTea

Angry Colchester fans on 09:59 - May 9 by glasso

Annoyingly loads of West Hams fans in Ipswich that I know of too. As much as I hate them, they have a ridiculous amount of support with nearby counties to London.

Angry Colchester fans on 10:16 - May 9 with 286 viewssoupytwist

Angry Colchester fans on 14:41 - May 8 by homer_123

It's a weird thing.

Friday nights at Layer Road followed by Saturdays at Portman Road was a regular for an awful lot of Town fans back in the day.

Same with Southend United and West Ham fans. Southend played at home on Friday nights for many seasons for exactly this reason.

And despite what Europa Blue has said elsewhere on this thread, any part of Essex from Chelmsford southwards (and east of the A12) has been heavily West Ham since all the lovable chirpy Cockneys started moving out of the East End after the second World War and when Basildon was built.

I was once told I was a glory hunting Ipswich Town fan in my Pitsea primary school playground when we won the FA Cup. Weren't too many of us in Southend when I went to secondary school either.

Col Utd probably need to be worried about the upwardly mobile Braintree Town.
[Post edited 9 May 10:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024