Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 13:11 - May 9 with 1932 viewsIllinoisblue

And marveling at us not scoring for SIX games in League 1 while enjoying this run of results:

Rochdale 0 Ipswich 0
Ipswich 0 MK Dons 0
Wimbledon 3 Ipswich 0
Charlton 0 Ipswich 0
Northampton 3 Ipswich 0
Ipswich 0 Wimbledon 0

And then being told in three years time we’d be in the premier league after two successive promotions, gaining the most points in all of English football along the way, and would be be sponsored by a global megastar.

Nae normal. Bonkers.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:13 - May 9 with 1880 viewsfooters

It's like 'Nam. Best not rake up old graves. Flashbacks and so on.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:17 - May 9 with 1842 viewshoppy

And the most goals scored in The Championship on the way as well, don't forget.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:21 - May 9 with 1804 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:17 - May 9 by hoppy

And the most goals scored in The Championship on the way as well, don't forget.

And home and away games selling out almost every week.

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:22 - May 9 with 1791 viewsElderGrizzly

4 clean sheets there. Stop moaning ;)
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:23 - May 9 with 1787 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:13 - May 9 by footers

I think around this time there were no fans allowed in the ground so Covid saved us from the full horror. I recall watching the Northampton game on iFollow and feeling very depressed.

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine being a Town fan in January 2023 on 13:36 - May 9 with 1736 viewsMisterBlue

and calling for McKenna to be sacked and replaced by Warnock !!
Imagine being a Town fan in January 2023 on 13:41 - May 9 with 1711 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine being a Town fan in January 2023 on 13:36 - May 9 by MisterBlue

and calling for McKenna to be sacked and replaced by Warnock !!

Wait, did someone do that?

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine being a Town fan in January 2023 on 13:44 - May 9 with 1696 viewsMisterBlue

Imagine being a Town fan in January 2023 on 13:41 - May 9 by Illinoisblue

Wait, did someone do that?

Not sure if it was on here, but definitely was on the Radio Suffolk phone in, when we were having a run of games without a win, much like this season really.
Login to get fewer ads

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:44 - May 9 with 1690 viewsChurchman

The days before Dementor Evans was bought out were a lot more depressing than those results, most of which occurred after the sale. Personally, I thought the depressing results, performances, the sheer shambles of it all that April tolerable only because I knew there was a chance of change.

It felt a gamble. Who were these people? Where they all wind and p%ss? Empty promises? Quick flip merchants? But it also felt a chance; a no lose gamble. No mistake, League 2 beckoned within a season or two and things were not going to get better.

Cook might have got a team together on nothing - he’s good at that tbf, but like McCarthy before him, there’s a limit to what you can do in that environment.

So depressing though those April results were, I was optimistic regarding the bigger picture at the time. Those results though were the pits reading them back though.

While he was wrong to do it publicly I can understand why the manager blew his stack. 45 minutes before the players were blowing through their rear ends was as much as they could manage. Now? It’s the opposition ventilating their shorts through the last third of the game. What a contrast in every way.

I thought that April post Gamechanger we’d get out of L1, possibly even the following season but never in my wildest dreams thought we’d get to the Premier League in 3 years in the way we have.

Waka waka, we’re going up again!
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:55 - May 9 with 1621 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

And just being talked about in the media and at work is quite the novelty. For so many years we were just irrelevant, making up the numbers in the football league, and on a gradual downwards trajectory. Without the takeover I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that we’d have eventually dropped into league two.

I’m not old enough to have enjoyed Town’s glory years, just the very brief PL stint was as good as it got. Now they have me dreaming of a trophy in the next few years (even a League Cup would be incredible)!
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:00 - May 9 with 1575 viewsITFC_Forever

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:23 - May 9 by Illinoisblue

I think around this time there were no fans allowed in the ground so Covid saved us from the full horror. I recall watching the Northampton game on iFollow and feeling very depressed.

Covid saved ME and Lambert from a full on revolt in the Spring of 2020, the peasants were starting to revolt as it was before the pandemic stopped the world.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:03 - May 9 with 1558 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:00 - May 9 by ITFC_Forever

Covid saved ME and Lambert from a full on revolt in the Spring of 2020, the peasants were starting to revolt as it was before the pandemic stopped the world.

That Fleetwood game at home. Just Tomas Holy smashing the ball up to Harry Souttar's head all evening. Proper proper grim.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:13 - May 9 with 1486 viewsSawtrich

Yes, a lot of that season was behind closed doors wasn't it? I remember sitting watching on the laptop on my own wondering why I was bothering. Wasn't there some dross from Evans about how there was good stuff happening but we couldn't appreciate it because we didn't get the full picture as we weren't in the ground?!?!
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:14 - May 9 with 1485 views_clive_baker_

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:55 - May 9 by SuperKieranMcKenna

And just being talked about in the media and at work is quite the novelty. For so many years we were just irrelevant, making up the numbers in the football league, and on a gradual downwards trajectory. Without the takeover I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that we’d have eventually dropped into league two.

I’m not old enough to have enjoyed Town’s glory years, just the very brief PL stint was as good as it got. Now they have me dreaming of a trophy in the next few years (even a League Cup would be incredible)!

Quite. Even when we briefly flirted with promotion under McCarthy we were pretty vanilla from top to bottom. Keane was probably the last 'era' when we were on the map, and that was all for the wrong reasons. Jewell, Hurst, Lambert, Cook, neither interesting nor effective. Just absolute bobbins really.

To think we're now the flavour of the month, the underdog who has defied expectations like have before in our illustrious past. Sheeran, Wardley, a young, fit, exciting side under a young and progressive manager who is tipped for the absolute top. It's a story that seems to have captured the whole county and beyond, it's nuts. Kids and old alike donning the blue of Ipswich Town. So many people I know who don't even support us have been buzzing for it, the media domestically and globally, the scale of the reach is crazy.

I was thinking last night, if you're a player of just about any club outside the 'big 6' or 8, you must look at our squad with such envy. There are very, very few better clubs to be at right now. Back to back promotions, improving every day, fanatic fan base, bank holiday weekends on the Town, getting p1ssed up with one of the biggest musicians on the planet. Our pulling power must be higher than its been in literally many decades right now.

Such an about turn and long overdue.
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:20 - May 9 with 1441 viewstractorboy1978

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:14 - May 9 by _clive_baker_

Quite. Even when we briefly flirted with promotion under McCarthy we were pretty vanilla from top to bottom. Keane was probably the last 'era' when we were on the map, and that was all for the wrong reasons. Jewell, Hurst, Lambert, Cook, neither interesting nor effective. Just absolute bobbins really.

To think we're now the flavour of the month, the underdog who has defied expectations like have before in our illustrious past. Sheeran, Wardley, a young, fit, exciting side under a young and progressive manager who is tipped for the absolute top. It's a story that seems to have captured the whole county and beyond, it's nuts. Kids and old alike donning the blue of Ipswich Town. So many people I know who don't even support us have been buzzing for it, the media domestically and globally, the scale of the reach is crazy.

I was thinking last night, if you're a player of just about any club outside the 'big 6' or 8, you must look at our squad with such envy. There are very, very few better clubs to be at right now. Back to back promotions, improving every day, fanatic fan base, bank holiday weekends on the Town, getting p1ssed up with one of the biggest musicians on the planet. Our pulling power must be higher than its been in literally many decades right now.

Such an about turn and long overdue.

Players are going to be queuing up to play for McKenna this summer.
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:22 - May 9 with 1425 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:20 - May 9 by tractorboy1978

This is an important point; clubs know their players will improve under KM. A win win.

62 - 78 - 81

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:27 - May 9 with 1373 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but that was all the fault of the players. Just like it was the following season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:35 - May 9 with 1323 viewsTractorCam

Alan Judge said Rochdale was a "tough place to go" following that draw. They were basically relegated and had only won once at home all season. TWTD.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:58 - May 9 with 1221 viewsBseaBlue

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:20 - May 9 by tractorboy1978

An excellent point to make. I read Watson's article on the interview that Hirst gave. Out of everything, that really hit me in the feels. I think it was purely because he was desperate to play for this football club. What a nice turn of events from some of the mercenaries we have had here in the banter era.

That desire to come and play here is a huge credit not just to KMac, but to the board, the staff and the supporters as well.
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 15:24 - May 9 with 1092 viewsBlueBadger

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:58 - May 9 by BseaBlue

An excellent point to make. I read Watson's article on the interview that Hirst gave. Out of everything, that really hit me in the feels. I think it was purely because he was desperate to play for this football club. What a nice turn of events from some of the mercenaries we have had here in the banter era.

That desire to come and play here is a huge credit not just to KMac, but to the board, the staff and the supporters as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a fair amount of luck securing some young European talent on loan, given how much Omari has progressed under McKenna.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 15:40 - May 9 with 1039 viewsArthur_Hayes

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 13:13 - May 9 by footers

Are you referring to CheltenNam away? That Bonne miss?
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 17:33 - May 9 with 856 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:03 - May 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

That Fleetwood game at home. Just Tomas Holy smashing the ball up to Harry Souttar's head all evening. Proper proper grim.

Haha! Holy! Do you remember him? Really tall chap.

Feels like an age ago!
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 18:07 - May 9 with 780 viewsBlueBadger

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:03 - May 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Joey F**king Barton being able to say, with justification, that this was the worst Town side ever.

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 18:32 - May 9 with 730 viewsFreddies_Ears

Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 14:35 - May 9 by TractorCam

Alan Judge said Rochdale was a "tough place to go" following that draw. They were basically relegated and had only won once at home all season. TWTD.

I was so pissed off to miss that Rochdale game due to it being BCD. Neither side registered a shot on goal. That'll never happen in a match again in my lifetime. And I missed it.
Imagine being a Town fan in April 2021 on 18:34 - May 9 with 702 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don’t have to imagine, I was*. Grim times.

*Know what you meant though, I’m just been a twit.
[Post edited 9 May 18:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024