Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton sideways move? 18:52 - May 18 with 5480 viewsNedPlimpton

Genuinely very surprised by people thinking that Brighton is a sideways move or wouldn't be appealing

For a big part of this season it looked like they could mount a challenge for a champions league place

They're a well established EPL club who seemingly haven't hit their ceiling yet and are probably up there with Villa as looking the most likely to properly break into the 'Big 6'

Think they're an enticing prospect for any manager on an upwards trajectory. I'm not saying that I think McKenna will go but it if he does stay it won't be because it's a sideways step
Brighton sideways move? on 18:54 - May 18 with 3393 viewsDarkBrandon

Why do you think they haven’t reached their ceiling yet? Serious question.

Won’t it be really tough for them to improve further?
Brighton sideways move? on 18:56 - May 18 with 3369 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"are probably up there with Villa as looking the most likely to properly break into the 'Big 6' "

Blimey. Well, that's nonsense.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:02 - May 18 with 3294 viewsMK1

I think Kieran would one day love to take over at Man Utd. As things stand today, Brighton offer him the fastest way of getting there. Obviously we are now in the same league and if he keeps us there and consolidates us as a Premier League club, then his stock would be even higher. There is that word "if" though. Brighton are where we would hope to be in 2 seasons time. Taking all the emotion out of it, I think, as we sit here today, it's a step up.
Brighton sideways move? on 19:03 - May 18 with 3280 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 18:54 - May 18 by DarkBrandon

Why do you think they haven’t reached their ceiling yet? Serious question.

Won’t it be really tough for them to improve further?

Had been on an upwards trajectory before this season finishing 9th then 6th. Were up there challenging for a big part of this season too

Run well and making a profit, so will have money to spend and I would have thought ambitions of regular European football
Brighton sideways move? on 19:05 - May 18 with 3260 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 18:56 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

"are probably up there with Villa as looking the most likely to properly break into the 'Big 6' "

Blimey. Well, that's nonsense.

How so?

They finished 6th last year so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that they do it again and again
Brighton sideways move? on 19:07 - May 18 with 3223 viewsSwansea_Blue

These sorts of clubs often struggle to stay in the PL for more than 8 or 9 years. Brighton seem to be doing better than most, but there are only 7 teams who’ve been in the PL for more than 12 years.

We’ve got some catching up to do, but with good decisions there’s no reason why we can’t become established ourselves. Let’s not forget Brighton were no bigger than us 7 or so years ago (whenever it was they got promoted).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:08 - May 18 with 3228 viewsTheBoyBlue

Brighton are clearly ahead of us on the curve and I think that it would be a better move for him than Man Utd, but I think the timing of leaving here would be odd. He and his young family are settled here, this as much of his project as anybody's. Having got us up to the PL, it would be strange for him to leave now. This would be his first season in the PL and he would be doing it with the support and set-up that he trusts and knows.

He'll know that he'll almost certainly get another chance in a bigger job in the near future. Indeed, even if he doesn't go anywhere now, we need to prepare for this being his last season here.
[Post edited 18 May 19:40]

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Brighton sideways move? on 19:13 - May 18 with 3166 viewsitfcserbia

But even their own fans are debating the same thing, what club is bigger.

My take is - if two sets of fans don't see it clearly as a step up, there is not enough of a step up for McKenna to see. Trsut the process.

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton sideways move? on 19:19 - May 18 with 3102 viewsBlueNomad

Brighton sideways move? on 19:03 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

Had been on an upwards trajectory before this season finishing 9th then 6th. Were up there challenging for a big part of this season too

Run well and making a profit, so will have money to spend and I would have thought ambitions of regular European football

It reads as if you hope he does go there.
Brighton sideways move? on 19:23 - May 18 with 3063 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"Run well and making a profit, so will have money to spend and I would have thought ambitions of regular European football"

In a nutshell, explain how you think the above won't apply to us?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:26 - May 18 with 3037 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:23 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

"Run well and making a profit, so will have money to spend and I would have thought ambitions of regular European football"

I haven't said it won't???

Just that they are the established EPL side and we're not
Brighton sideways move? on 19:28 - May 18 with 3023 viewsBluedandy

They have hit their ceiling ... in 2001 we were potentially one game away from the Champions League, the next season we were relegated.
Brighton sideways move? on 19:29 - May 18 with 3004 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Brighton sideways move? on 19:26 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

I haven't said it won't???

Just that they are the established EPL side and we're not

So your whole argument that it wouldn't be a sideways move is that they are more established than us?

I hope Wolves don't come calling.

Brighton sideways move? on 19:30 - May 18 with 3001 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:28 - May 18 by Bluedandy

They have hit their ceiling ... in 2001 we were potentially one game away from the Champions League, the next season we were relegated.

I don't think what happened to us 23 years ago means it will always happen
Brighton sideways move? on 19:31 - May 18 with 2980 viewsMK1

Brighton sideways move? on 19:23 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

It depends how quickly McKenna wants the Man Utd job. Today and I mean today, Brighton are a step up from us. In a couple of seasons, who knows, but right now, Brighton potentially gets him the Utd job quicker. Take the emotion out of it.
Brighton sideways move? on 19:32 - May 18 with 2972 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:29 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

So your whole argument that it wouldn't be a sideways move is that they are more established than us?

I hope Wolves don't come calling.

No, they also have higher league finishes recently and are profitable. I have said that already
[Post edited 18 May 19:35]
Brighton sideways move? on 19:35 - May 18 with 2935 viewsMJallday

Run so well they’ve just ditched their manager

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:38 - May 18 with 2909 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:35 - May 18 by MJallday

Run so well they’ve just ditched their manager

You honestly don't think Brighton are a well run club???
Brighton sideways move? on 19:39 - May 18 with 2906 viewsBluedandy

Brighton sideways move? on 19:30 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

I don't think what happened to us 23 years ago means it will always happen

Brief flirtations with Champions League qualification are fairly meaningless is the point ... Brighton currently have the same number of points as Bournemouth and frankly have as much chance as the Cherries of being a major force in European football.
Brighton sideways move? on 19:42 - May 18 with 2871 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:39 - May 18 by Bluedandy

Brief flirtations with Champions League qualification are fairly meaningless is the point ... Brighton currently have the same number of points as Bournemouth and frankly have as much chance as the Cherries of being a major force in European football.

I see your point, and yes this season they won't be in Europe. But I don't think any of us would have been surprised to see them there had they qualified again
Brighton sideways move? on 19:43 - May 18 with 2856 viewsNutkins_Return

I would say they are the definition of a team who has reached their ceiling. I would be surprised if McKenna goes there. They are not a Villa, Spurs, Newcastle etc who would be much more concerning.

They are still more established then is so there is still a risk!
Brighton sideways move? on 19:46 - May 18 with 2834 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Brighton sideways move? on 19:32 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

No, they also have higher league finishes recently and are profitable. I have said that already
[Post edited 18 May 19:35]

Jesus wept. Of course they've had higher league finishes, they've been in the Prem whilst we were dropping down the championship and into league one.

They're profitable because they buy low and sell high, which is exactly the same M.O. that we are now on.

What else makes it an upward move?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:46 - May 18 with 2833 viewsMJallday

Brighton sideways move? on 19:38 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

You honestly don't think Brighton are a well run club???

I think they’re a very different club to us

Anyone going there certainly won’t have the decision making freedom , support
From management , infrastructure , fan base or history that we do

I don’t think it’s a sideways move, it would be a downgrade

If you’d have asked me that question under the ME regime, absolutely
Now… not a hope in hell

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:48 - May 18 with 2817 viewsLeoMuff

Brighton sideways move? on 19:28 - May 18 by Bluedandy

Think that’s the point, things can change very quickly in the premier league, Brighton losing their manager may mean they struggle next season, we could conceivably finish above them, their budget may be bigger but not big enough to think a few wrong moves and they could be in trouble.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Brighton sideways move? on 19:51 - May 18 with 2787 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:46 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Jesus wept. Of course they've had higher league finishes, they've been in the Prem whilst we were dropping down the championship and into league one.

They're profitable because they buy low and sell high, which is exactly the same M.O. that we are now on.

What else makes it an upward move?

So an established EPL club, with European ambitions, a bigger budget, a bigger stadium and managers who have recently left to go on to bigger jobs isn't enough of a reason to think that moving from Ipswich to Brighton wouldn't be a sideways move?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024