Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The pressures of cancel culture 08:31 - May 19 with 1515 viewsvictorywilhappen

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/article/2024/may/19/its-all-been-preposterou
“it seems to me that there’s always been policing of comedy, of there being… guardrails. I think the difference is that it used to feel like it was the Right that was policing it. It feels like it’s the Left that’s doing it now, and it’s allowed the Right to become the arbiters of free speech. Which does feel like quite a significant shift.”
The pressures of cancel culture on 09:10 - May 19 with 1399 viewsArmaghBlue

I will always just say what I want, when I want. If someone feels offended? Oh well, never mind.
The pressures of cancel culture on 11:05 - May 19 with 1290 viewsBlueBadger

The pressures of cancel culture on 09:10 - May 19 by ArmaghBlue

I will always just say what I want, when I want. If someone feels offended? Oh well, never mind.

I'm not sure 'I'm an ignorant tosspot who doesn't want to make any effort to be civil to people' is QUITE the flex you think it is.

/edit LOL at the elite and ironic down vote.

//edit edit for clarity
[Post edited 19 May 12:47]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:25 - May 19 with 1236 viewsDJR

As someone who believes in free speech, my view is that cancel culture is not confined to certain elements of the left. Just look at things like measure against all things woke (eg. lanyards), attempts to no-platform people like Gary Lineker and condemnation of people peacefully protesting against the war in Gaza.

Indeed, when it comes to social illiberalism, the current Tory government is right up there with the Thatcher government (clause 28 et al). Indeed, it is only under Cameron and May, that social liberalism reared its head briefly in the Tory party.
[Post edited 19 May 11:26]
The pressures of cancel culture on 11:26 - May 19 with 1212 viewsJ2BLUE

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:25 - May 19 by DJR

As someone who believes in free speech, my view is that cancel culture is not confined to certain elements of the left. Just look at things like measure against all things woke (eg. lanyards), attempts to no-platform people like Gary Lineker and condemnation of people peacefully protesting against the war in Gaza.

Indeed, when it comes to social illiberalism, the current Tory government is right up there with the Thatcher government (clause 28 et al). Indeed, it is only under Cameron and May, that social liberalism reared its head briefly in the Tory party.
[Post edited 19 May 11:26]

Lanyards?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:27 - May 19 with 1209 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:05 - May 19 by BlueBadger

I'm not sure 'I'm an ignorant tosspot who doesn't want to make any effort to be civil to people' is QUITE the flex you think it is.

//edit edit for clarity

Spoken like someone saying what he wants, when he wants!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:28 - May 19 with 1191 viewsBlueBadger

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:26 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Lanyards?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/culture-war-rainbow-lanyard-ban-e

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cglvldr02vzo
[Post edited 19 May 11:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:29 - May 19 with 1168 viewsBlueBadger

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:27 - May 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Spoken like someone saying what he wants, when he wants!

And probably wonders why their kids don't speak to them.

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:30 - May 19 with 1174 viewsJ2BLUE

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:28 - May 19 by BlueBadger

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/culture-war-rainbow-lanyard-ban-e

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cglvldr02vzo
[Post edited 19 May 11:29]

Cheers. Wow. That's pathetic even by Tory standards.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:32 - May 19 with 1160 viewsDJR

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:26 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Lanyards?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/common-sense-minister-bans-rainbow-lanyards-i
The pressures of cancel culture on 11:36 - May 19 with 1112 viewspointofblue

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:30 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Cheers. Wow. That's pathetic even by Tory standards.

As much as it's called a Tory thing, the Scottish Parliament has already implemented that policy.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:44 - May 19 with 1089 viewstcblue

The real struggle is aging comedians not realising they're becoming the next generation of Bernard Manning in the eyes of their successors.

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!
- Grandpa Simpson
The pressures of cancel culture on 11:51 - May 19 with 1056 viewsjayessess

Think there's an irony in there that Ricky Gervais is mentioned as someone who transgresses the rules of "cancel culture" (such as they are) and his career is doing just fine (arguably better than much of his later output deserves). In reality, people in public life largely say what they want without any real consequences (especially if it's actually funny!), but continue to work themselves into a frenzy about what might happen if they say the wrong thing.

The article reflects a couple of the real reasons why it's become such a big deal. The interviewer is obliged to ask Merchant about it and put his response in the headline, when it doesn't strike me as a particularly important part of the interview. "Cancel culture" is above all a media trope.

I think the longer quote is also more revealing: “I’m also aware that sensitivities shift over time and that people are allowed to criticise and query things, and we do look back at old comedy and think we wouldn’t do that any more.” He takes a breath. “I have no objection to the sands shifting. I think that makes sense and I’m loth to become a kind of ‘old man of comedy’, railing against the younger generation. But you do feel like there’s a sensitivity to the words before they’ve even heard the joke or the context. And that is inevitably a straitjacket of sorts – it quashes experimentation.”

It's a straightjacket for people like Merchant because he doesn't want to feel bad, not because it'd ruin his career or anything. He doesn't want to think of himself as a 21st-Century Bernard Manning, he wants to think of himself as a decent, nice guy and doesn't like the idea that he might say something that would change people's impression of him. For me that feeling is just a normal part of life, perhaps intensified in the social media age, rather than some world-ending-free-speech-threatening censorship.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:03 - May 19 with 992 viewsredrickstuhaart

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:51 - May 19 by jayessess

Think there's an irony in there that Ricky Gervais is mentioned as someone who transgresses the rules of "cancel culture" (such as they are) and his career is doing just fine (arguably better than much of his later output deserves). In reality, people in public life largely say what they want without any real consequences (especially if it's actually funny!), but continue to work themselves into a frenzy about what might happen if they say the wrong thing.

The article reflects a couple of the real reasons why it's become such a big deal. The interviewer is obliged to ask Merchant about it and put his response in the headline, when it doesn't strike me as a particularly important part of the interview. "Cancel culture" is above all a media trope.

I think the longer quote is also more revealing: “I’m also aware that sensitivities shift over time and that people are allowed to criticise and query things, and we do look back at old comedy and think we wouldn’t do that any more.” He takes a breath. “I have no objection to the sands shifting. I think that makes sense and I’m loth to become a kind of ‘old man of comedy’, railing against the younger generation. But you do feel like there’s a sensitivity to the words before they’ve even heard the joke or the context. And that is inevitably a straitjacket of sorts – it quashes experimentation.”

It's a straightjacket for people like Merchant because he doesn't want to feel bad, not because it'd ruin his career or anything. He doesn't want to think of himself as a 21st-Century Bernard Manning, he wants to think of himself as a decent, nice guy and doesn't like the idea that he might say something that would change people's impression of him. For me that feeling is just a normal part of life, perhaps intensified in the social media age, rather than some world-ending-free-speech-threatening censorship.

More culture war nonsense.

Gervais says exactly what he wants. I largely agree with him about nothing being out of bounds for humour in principle, but of course the specifics, intent and context matter.

https://www.tiktok.com/@ha.thats_funny/video/7253922473882750213
The pressures of cancel culture on 12:08 - May 19 with 935 viewsDanTheMan

I love that the article mentions Sienfeld as well, someone who apparently hates cancel culture.

He's just written, directed and starred in his own film about how pop tarts are made and it's just bad. Not bad in a way where it's enjoyable either, just boring. Fairly clear that Larry David was the funny one. Chock full of "you remember this thing?" pop culture references.

It's so bad they managed to make Bill Burn unfunny.

I wonder whether some of these people moaning are just finding they aren't actually that funny any more and it annoys them.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:09 - May 19 with 922 viewsArmaghBlue

The pressures of cancel culture on 11:05 - May 19 by BlueBadger

//edit edit for clarity

Flex or not, I just don’t let idiots, (right or left wing) dictate what I can and can’t say.
[Post edited 19 May 12:13]
The pressures of cancel culture on 12:15 - May 19 with 890 viewsWeWereZombies

And yet a good comedian can get laughter (or tears) out of material however it is policed or under the most difficult circumstances. I'm thinking of some of the material Andy Zaltsman has delivered since the start of the Israeli Defence Force assault on Gaza following the 7th October atrocity.

'Then there was a remarkably worded introduction to the News Quiz in October, by another comedian, Andy Zaltzman, who began, “Hello, I am Andy Zaltzman. I will be honest with you. I prefer doing the News Quiz in weeks in which wars are not breaking out, in which acts of unspeakable barbarity have not been committed, and in which the world has not become even more horrifically, tragically brutal, but I guess that’s the problem with doing topical comedy shows in places like planet earth. I’m Jewish, I’m also human, and furthermore I’m related to and friends with other humans. But sadly this has been another week in which once again we learned that the only true lesson we ever learn from history is that we will never, ever, learn the lessons of history. The News Quiz is a comedy show which tries to concoct laughter from the world’s week, but with some stories, and some weeks when the tragedies, loss and suffering are so so vast, so raw, so unfathomably sad, that a comedy show like this one needs to stand aside to wait for a better time and a better place. So, I hope you will understand that we will focus on the rest of the weeks news, and hopefully prove that while laughter is scientifically not the best medicine, it can have some restorative properties that are significantly better for you than sitting on a sofa shouting ‘Why, why, why?’ into a void of despair. So, welcome to the news quiz.”'

https://intunepr.co.uk/a-positive-welcome-to-2024/

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:28 - May 19 with 826 viewsjayessess

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:08 - May 19 by DanTheMan

I love that the article mentions Sienfeld as well, someone who apparently hates cancel culture.

He's just written, directed and starred in his own film about how pop tarts are made and it's just bad. Not bad in a way where it's enjoyable either, just boring. Fairly clear that Larry David was the funny one. Chock full of "you remember this thing?" pop culture references.

It's so bad they managed to make Bill Burn unfunny.

I wonder whether some of these people moaning are just finding they aren't actually that funny any more and it annoys them.

Not like Seinfeld was edgy stuff. Meanwhile, his co-creator Larry David has gone on to make something objectively far more offensive (Curb Your Enthusiasm) to pretty much everybody's wild acclaim (because it's funny and original!).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:45 - May 19 with 744 viewsBlueBadger

The pressures of cancel culture on 12:09 - May 19 by ArmaghBlue

Flex or not, I just don’t let idiots, (right or left wing) dictate what I can and can’t say.
[Post edited 19 May 12:13]

I refer you to my previous answer.

The pressures of cancel culture on 13:00 - May 19 with 701 viewsvictorywilhappen

With much art and other avant-gard dissemination. Provocations and speculation aim to confront and change society.

Words are seemingly under scrutiny as much as actions in contemporary society. Perhaps they always have. However, the American litigation culture may have some responsibility.

Offensive to be offensive generally is only offensive and not worthy of much and then is cancelled for lack of worth.

At times society is just not ready for its reflection to be held up at a particular time.
[Post edited 19 May 13:02]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024