Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Programmes 18:31 - Sep 25 with 1528 viewsFrimleyBlue

Next fans forum. Can someone ask why programmes are not available to purchase online.

Imo. I'm happy to pay upto £5 for a match day programme. I'm sure there's plenty of profit in that for the club and I wouldn't be the only one doing so.

Seems like a missed opportunity for extra £

Oh to add. After the match day is fine too btw. So not to take away from hardcopy versions.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 18:34]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Programmes on 07:34 - Sep 26 with 1324 viewsDeano69

I got one at the Blackburn game. It was in the hospitality stuff tbf
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 7:35]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Programmes on 09:00 - Sep 26 with 1228 viewsSwansea_Blue

#BCWYWF if it goes online, they’d possibly stop the physical copy before too long. That’s what happened down here at Swansea. We’re better run though, so there’s no guarantee that would happen of course.

Agree it would be good to have the option though. I wouldn’t mind a look through when I can’t get to matches (which is often).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Programmes on 09:19 - Sep 26 with 1180 views_clive_baker_

Demand for matchday programmes has been on a steady decline for years, not just at Ipswich but all clubs. Guess we consume so much of our content digitally now, I would question if it's much of a profit driver at all. Someone needs to create the content for it, edit it, get it printed, physically man the stalls around the ground to sell it etc. I'm not surprised some clubs have stopped them altogether, the market seems to just be day trippers as keep sakes, a few collectors or a few fans who still buy one. I hardly see anyone carrying them around at games like you used to.

I like the tradition of them and the nostaligia. I hope Town carry on with them even if they only just about wash their face financially. As you say perhaps with a global audience of people that can't get to games they might sell a few online, don't see why any leftovers couldn't be added to the club shop. Would likely have to come with a delivery fee though.

Can't beat the smell of a programme, and the waft frying onions at a football match. Must admit I can't remember the last time I actually bought one though.
Programmes on 09:52 - Sep 26 with 1126 viewsMookamoo

Programmes on 09:19 - Sep 26 by _clive_baker_

Demand for matchday programmes has been on a steady decline for years, not just at Ipswich but all clubs. Guess we consume so much of our content digitally now, I would question if it's much of a profit driver at all. Someone needs to create the content for it, edit it, get it printed, physically man the stalls around the ground to sell it etc. I'm not surprised some clubs have stopped them altogether, the market seems to just be day trippers as keep sakes, a few collectors or a few fans who still buy one. I hardly see anyone carrying them around at games like you used to.

I like the tradition of them and the nostaligia. I hope Town carry on with them even if they only just about wash their face financially. As you say perhaps with a global audience of people that can't get to games they might sell a few online, don't see why any leftovers couldn't be added to the club shop. Would likely have to come with a delivery fee though.

Can't beat the smell of a programme, and the waft frying onions at a football match. Must admit I can't remember the last time I actually bought one though.

They must have do some sort of impact study at the end of every season to see how viable they actually are. Print is so expensive these days. They might also be factoring in the corporate connections from the advertisers and how they convert them to regular hospitality packages etc.

A digital, global, programme would kill the printed one. There is no point having local advertising in anything global, which would torpedo any physical copy if it impacted on-the-day print sales.

I'd imagine they will stop printing them in the next few years and throw out the 'we're becoming more sustainable' argument and frame it as a tree saving measure, not a cost saving.
Programmes on 10:07 - Sep 26 with 1110 views_clive_baker_

Programmes on 09:52 - Sep 26 by Mookamoo

They must have do some sort of impact study at the end of every season to see how viable they actually are. Print is so expensive these days. They might also be factoring in the corporate connections from the advertisers and how they convert them to regular hospitality packages etc.

A digital, global, programme would kill the printed one. There is no point having local advertising in anything global, which would torpedo any physical copy if it impacted on-the-day print sales.

I'd imagine they will stop printing them in the next few years and throw out the 'we're becoming more sustainable' argument and frame it as a tree saving measure, not a cost saving.

Yeah it's probably relatively easy to evaluate the profitability (or not) of them. Opportunity cost is probably a reduction in advertising revenues and programme sales revenues (genuinely don't think we sell many though), but a load of cost saved in generating the local advertisers, and the production, printing and distribution of them.

One option might be to make it more of a filleted version, last time I got one (ages ago) it was like a catalogue. Perhaps at £3 it could be offered as an add on with season tickets etc to just collect on the way in. I would possibly add it, and if 10,000 people are getting one it would be more attractive to advertisers.

I imagine its far down the priority list at the moment though. I would wager a whole seasons profit or loss on those things is probably only equal to Chaplin's wages for a week. When I was a kid it was always getting the programme outside the ground and turning straight to the back cover to see the line up. TWTD.
Programmes on 11:04 - Sep 26 with 1034 viewsSharkey

Colchester have taken a very different approach. The programme is always free, and you just pick it up in the concourse. Away fans are always mightily impressed.( And it's actually a top-notch programme, by far the most impressive thing the club does media-wise, and actually has information that you can't get anywhere else, notably detailed updates on injured players' progress.)

(You really get an idea of how big the modern football squad is when you see all the names listed on the back of the programme!)
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 11:10]
Programmes on 11:09 - Sep 26 with 1010 views_clive_baker_

Programmes on 11:04 - Sep 26 by Sharkey

Colchester have taken a very different approach. The programme is always free, and you just pick it up in the concourse. Away fans are always mightily impressed.( And it's actually a top-notch programme, by far the most impressive thing the club does media-wise, and actually has information that you can't get anywhere else, notably detailed updates on injured players' progress.)

(You really get an idea of how big the modern football squad is when you see all the names listed on the back of the programme!)
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 11:10]

Guess they need something to distract people from the football
Programmes on 11:12 - Sep 26 with 994 viewsSharkey

Programmes on 11:09 - Sep 26 by _clive_baker_

Guess they need something to distract people from the football

I don't think that's the logic. (Town were charging for a programme well before McKenna arrived.) I realise you're gently taking the mick, but I guess the thinking is if we're going to produce it, someone might as well read it. But I also think the club makes a big effort to welcome away fans, who can make quite a difference to the attendance and whom they want to come back next season. (Friendly stewarding, good view, mixed home-and-away bar at the ground.) And big away support usually makes the occasion more attractive to the home supporters.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 11:25]
Login to get fewer ads

Programmes on 12:05 - Sep 26 with 926 viewsRadlett_blue

Some people buy one if they bring a child to the game as it gives them something to look through if they get bored with the football. I think they're on the way out in the digital age.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024