Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue 17:13 - Nov 15 with 1512 viewsMiaow

My dad and I were walking back along Portman Road after the Swansea game and I mentioned how good the statue of SBR is (Sean Hedges-Quinn is very talented). He then commented on the backdrop (car park, concrete, office buildings) and how it doesn’t exactly complement the statue, something I agree with.

I suggested that maybe in the future there could be a small wall or something, not too wide but sufficiently high enough, that could gently curve around the back of the statue and its plinth so as to give it a better backdrop when viewed from the front. I then thought that this could possibly be added to with images/engravings of great players/moments from the Robson era, or perhaps others.

We have three excellent statues of our two greatest managers and, for many, our greatest player. When we sadly lose other major figures from the club’s past (Crawford, Mills, Wark, etc.), it may be a bit much to build a statue for each of them, and we don’t exactly have many stands left to rename, so this could be just one way of recognising them. Those from Ramsey’s era could potentially be honoured by creating something similar behind his statue.

The large pictures on the windows on the back of the Cobbold Stand look good and are a great way to highlight our history, though they will ultimately be gone and perhaps replaced with something else when the stand is eventually rebuilt - hopefully that won’t interfere too much with the positioning of the Robson statue.

What are people’s thoughts on this? I think it could be one way of improving the SBR statue’s surroundings whilst simultaneously recognising our ex-players and achievements.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:15 - Nov 15 with 1474 viewsSheffordBlue

That whole area is likely to be have some form of redevelopment in the next few years with the stand redevelopment and whatever the local authority ends up doing with some of the land. It wouldn't surprise me if it were to be moved during that and incorporated in a better way e.g if the Staples land becomes a Box Park type fanzone then it might well form a focal point of that.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:29 - Nov 15 with 1399 viewsHciwspi

I’d like to see the statue of Sir Bobby moved nearer to the Sir Bobby Robson stand. Perhaps where Sir Alf is. And Alf could be incorporated into the design of the new Stand or the area outside it.
An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:33 - Nov 15 with 1369 viewsBuhrer

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:15 - Nov 15 by SheffordBlue

That whole area is likely to be have some form of redevelopment in the next few years with the stand redevelopment and whatever the local authority ends up doing with some of the land. It wouldn't surprise me if it were to be moved during that and incorporated in a better way e.g if the Staples land becomes a Box Park type fanzone then it might well form a focal point of that.

Is there a possibility Sir Bobby could be placed Nelson like on a column, at the corner of a stand, so he can be seen from inside the ground? This needs to happen.
An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:36 - Nov 15 with 1353 viewsbournemouthblue

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:33 - Nov 15 by Buhrer

Is there a possibility Sir Bobby could be placed Nelson like on a column, at the corner of a stand, so he can be seen from inside the ground? This needs to happen.

At floodlight level so to speak?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:46 - Nov 15 with 1313 viewsBuhrer

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:36 - Nov 15 by bournemouthblue

At floodlight level so to speak?

Hopefully so everyone can see, and the giant shadow of Sir Bobby will also be intimidating to the opposition. Come on Town!
An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:57 - Nov 15 with 1271 viewsMiaow

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:15 - Nov 15 by SheffordBlue

It’ll be interesting to see how much Portman Road is narrowed when the new Cobbold Stand is built, and if it is completely pedestrianised between the two ends of the ground. And is the new swimming pool still set to be built on the car park land? Speaking of things being developed and upgraded, did we ever hear any more about the practice pitch getting replaced with a modern version? I remember that being mentioned during Lambert’s time.

I have wondered about the potential for moving one or more of the statues in time so that they are positioned more appropriately. In terms of that old Staples site, it could be an idea to have another club shop over there seeing as Planet Blue isn’t particularly large and can get pretty crowded on a matchday. Plus, it wouldn’t hurt to increase our merchandise takings even further.

It’s nice to be able to think about these things and know that we have an ownership group and management that are actively considering all areas of the club and its future, on and off the pitch, and the overall Portman Road experience and use of the stadium beyond matchdays. The joined-up thinking was missing for so long.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2023 18:01]

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 18:01 - Nov 15 with 1248 viewsgainsboroughblue

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:57 - Nov 15 by Miaow

It’ll be interesting to see how much Portman Road is narrowed when the new Cobbold Stand is built, and if it is completely pedestrianised between the two ends of the ground. And is the new swimming pool still set to be built on the car park land? Speaking of things being developed and upgraded, did we ever hear any more about the practice pitch getting replaced with a modern version? I remember that being mentioned during Lambert’s time.

I have wondered about the potential for moving one or more of the statues in time so that they are positioned more appropriately. In terms of that old Staples site, it could be an idea to have another club shop over there seeing as Planet Blue isn’t particularly large and can get pretty crowded on a matchday. Plus, it wouldn’t hurt to increase our merchandise takings even further.

It’s nice to be able to think about these things and know that we have an ownership group and management that are actively considering all areas of the club and its future, on and off the pitch, and the overall Portman Road experience and use of the stadium beyond matchdays. The joined-up thinking was missing for so long.

I was explaining the statues, stands and road names to somebody recently.

I think I just confused them when I said the SBR stand backs on to SAR Way and the SBR statue is further from the SBR stand than SAR is, who is also at the opposite end of the ground to the stand that bears his name.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 18:17 - Nov 15 with 1182 viewsEdwardStone

An idea for the Sir Bobby Robson statue on 17:57 - Nov 15 by Miaow

I think the new improved Planet Blue should have a special nominated till with a sign

"Indonesian Spoken Here"

In Indonesian of course.

And a range of Elkan Baggott leisurewear/ sportswear.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024