Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48833 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:50 - Oct 6 with 2660 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:58 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Don't think the Bontcho overhead kick was on TV. The Sheff Wed game, was that in the Coca-Cola Cup? Not sure that was live, might have been highlights.

I do recall a drab 0-0 with Leeds from that season-ish having been live one Sunday afternoon, listened to it on a rainy day in Hull. Great days.

The Blackburn Bontcho overhead game definitely wasn't alive on TV. It was a Saturday afternoon 3pm kick-off.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:52 - Oct 6 with 2658 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:45 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

I've been looking it up and found this:

So, what do we conclude from this? What is this clip taken from for starters? It's obviously something that's been put together years down the line (ie. look at the club badge)

Jon Champion never worked for Sky did he? Even then it doesn't necessarily offer an answer as to who broadcasted the game or indeed if it was live.

PS. The sound doesn't take long to go out of sync and do all kinds of weird stuff towards the end.

Ipswich 4 Leeds 2 was not on TV live. Featured game on Match of the Day on a Saturday night though.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:58 - Oct 6 with 2648 viewsKilburnBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:52 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

Ipswich 4 Leeds 2 was not on TV live. Featured game on Match of the Day on a Saturday night though.

Pretty sure there was no live premiership games whatsoever on a Saturday in the 90s

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:00 - Oct 6 with 2646 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:47 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Yes, pretty sure that was the case, although having had a look around the web and TWTD's archive can't find anything to back that up. Think it would have been difficult for people to watch it as so few pubs etc had the ITV box, which was why it all went awry, of course. There were reports of some matches being watched by more people actually at the game than on TV.

The Newcastle game was definitely on TV as I remember watching it. We were abysmal. Darren Bent scored his first ever goal for us.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:03 - Oct 6 with 2625 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:27 - Oct 6 by KilburnBlue

Others what have not been mentioned

When we beat reading 4-1 away early in the 1999/00 season where Naylor got two goals.

& early in the 1993 season where Dozzell equalised in the last minute when Lingham slipped in front of the north stand for Tottenham on his return

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:47]

Reading were relegated in 1998 so it wasn't them we beat 4-1.

I think you mean Swindon who we beat 4-1 near the start of the 99-00 season - that was on TV.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:09 - Oct 6 with 2616 viewsKilburnBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:03 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

Reading were relegated in 1998 so it wasn't them we beat 4-1.

I think you mean Swindon who we beat 4-1 near the start of the 99-00 season - that was on TV.

Oops thats the one I meant

Came just 4 months after we beat them 6-0 in the previous season.

edited - Has anyone mentioned the 1998/99 season opener against Grimsby (Steve M mentioned it)
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 17:33]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:26 - Oct 6 with 2584 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:09 - Oct 6 by KilburnBlue

edited - Has anyone mentioned the 1998/99 season opener against Grimsby (Steve M mentioned it)

Good job you said cos I missed it myself.

I have just two questions folks:

1) Can someone please confirm which game v Sheff Wed was broadcast live in 94/95? Home or away?
2) Is it right that the final home game against Cardiff was shown live in 03/04? Finished 1-1.

Thanks.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 17:37]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:39 - Oct 6 with 2533 viewsKilburnBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

I remember that Leicester game vividly as I watched it with my best mate who is a Leicester fan.

We went 3-0 up then they pegged us back to 3-2 before Marshall made it safe. I think we were both screaming at the TV in the last 15 minutes and nearly came to blows when Warky missed the penalty and Leicester went up the other end and scored.

Struggling to remember a more mental televised game than that.

Soz this was not the clip I meant to post. Have seen a clip somewhere that shows all the match highlights. Will see if I can find it.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 17:43]

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:11 - Oct 6 with 2496 viewsgainsboroughblue

Apologies if I missed it being mentioned, but Walsall on the opening day of 2002-03 was televised.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:47 - Oct 6 with 2475 viewsStNeotsBlue

Wasn't the Newcastle game in 2009 on the BBC, we got humped 4 nil and it was just after the death of Sir Bobby so was of significance to both sides. Sadly we were awful.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:03 - Oct 6 with 2444 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:09 - Oct 6 by KilburnBlue

The Grimsby game was a dire 0-0. Marco Holster made his debut and only ever start for Town.

I remember him being played through one-on-one and the way he handled it was similar to a regular Joe in the street - didn't have a clue what to do and shinned it a mile wide.

Richard Wright made a fantastic save from a penalty in the first minute. Grimsby were one of our bogey teams during those years. Apart from A hammering we gave them in the FA Cup when Bontcho scored a hat-trick I think we beat them once in about ten years.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:04 - Oct 6 with 2438 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:47 - Oct 6 by StNeotsBlue

Wasn't the Newcastle game in 2009 on the BBC, we got humped 4 nil and it was just after the death of Sir Bobby so was of significance to both sides. Sadly we were awful.

Probably our worst televised performance ever.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:08 - Oct 6 with 2432 viewsPaul_B

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

I have updated the list (see original post).

Please point out any errors or games that are missing.

They are all ordered by season but the games might not necessarily be in chronological order. I'll add in dates later down the line.

Cheers folks.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:08 - Oct 6 with 2425 viewsoultonblue

We lost 2:0 away to Coventry on 10-10-94. Quinn penalty and Wark OG. First Sky game I mIssed as my son was being born
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:33 - Oct 6 with 2387 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:08 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

I have updated the list (see original post).

Please point out any errors or games that are missing.

They are all ordered by season but the games might not necessarily be in chronological order. I'll add in dates later down the line.

Cheers folks.

Impressive stuff. Some of the UEFA Cup games in 2002/03 were on TV, although I'm not sure which. Sartid away was, I think as it was mid-afternoon. Channel Five tended to show them.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:40 - Oct 6 with 2374 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Am I going mad, or wasn't Keane's debacle at Carrow Road screened on either the Beeb or Sky?

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but also the 1-1 against Leicester away in January 2010 was a late addition to Sky's programme - I think the game had been arranged for the Sunday because of Leicester Tigers, but then all the Sunday Premier League games got called off because of snow so Sky decided at short notice to screen ours.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 19:40]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:40 - Oct 6 with 2370 viewsKarl_Fuller

I've been compiling a list over the last few weeks for a feature in my newspaper column and just waiting for a club archivist to come back to me to confirm games. I'll happily share that with you mate.

The Fuller Flavour
Blog: [Blog] The Critical State of Health of ITFC

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:41 - Oct 6 with 2365 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:40 - Oct 6 by NoCanariesAllowed

Am I going mad, or wasn't Keane's debacle at Carrow Road screened on either the Beeb or Sky?

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but also the 1-1 against Leicester away in January 2010 was a late addition to Sky's programme - I think the game had been arranged for the Sunday because of Leicester Tigers, but then all the Sunday Premier League games got called off because of snow so Sky decided at short notice to screen ours.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 19:40]

BBC I thought.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:43 - Oct 6 with 2352 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:33 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Impressive stuff. Some of the UEFA Cup games in 2002/03 were on TV, although I'm not sure which. Sartid away was, I think as it was mid-afternoon. Channel Five tended to show them.

Was Sartid the game we lost on pens?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:46 - Oct 6 with 2345 viewsgainsboroughblue

Barnsley at home last season is missed off list. Though, I can understand no one remembering that. Eminently forgettable.

Ps. Grimsby was 98 not 97.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:07 - Oct 6 with 2322 viewsTrequartista

don't forget the soccer sixes on Sportsnight.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:10 - Oct 6 with 2317 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:07 - Oct 6 by Trequartista

don't forget the soccer sixes on Sportsnight.

And the Central masters.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:26 - Oct 6 with 2300 viewsTrequartista

Was our defeat at Wembley in 1978 televised?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:26 - Oct 6 with 2300 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:43 - Oct 6 by gainsboroughblue

Was Sartid the game we lost on pens?

That was Slovan Liberec, Sartid we won 1-0, Marcus Bent penalty.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:35 - Oct 6 with 2280 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:33 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Was it? I recall the club screening it but didn't think it was on tv.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024