Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48668 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:57 - Oct 7 with 4785 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:40 - Oct 7 by The_Last_Baron

Sky didn't exist in 1987.

Technically it did. Sky Television was formed in 1980.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:04 - Oct 7 with 4776 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now we need to work out our win ratio!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:21 - Oct 7 with 4749 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:04 - Oct 7 by gainsboroughblue

Now we need to work out our win ratio!

This will all be going into a database so I'll be able to give you stats galore before long.

I'm just wondering how best to format the list on here to make it readable. It's easy to read now but once I start adding details like dates and channels it's going to look messy. Any suggestions welcome.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:23 - Oct 7 with 4713 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:21 - Oct 7 by Paul_B

This will all be going into a database so I'll be able to give you stats galore before long.

I'm just wondering how best to format the list on here to make it readable. It's easy to read now but once I start adding details like dates and channels it's going to look messy. Any suggestions welcome.

Some kind of table mode for sure.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:03 - Oct 7 with 4685 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:23 - Oct 7 by gainsboroughblue

That's just it. It's not possible to post something in a table format on here... or is there a way?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2015 19:04]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:26 - Oct 7 with 4642 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:23 - Oct 7 by gainsboroughblue

Always the best way, I say.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:45 - Oct 7 with 4620 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:03 - Oct 7 by Paul_B

That's just it. It's not possible to post something in a table format on here... or is there a way?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2015 19:04]

PM Gav, he can probably help with formatting a table for presentation on here.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:53 - Oct 7 with 4616 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:45 - Oct 7 by PhilTWTD

Especially if Hob Nobs were offered as an incentive.

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:43 - Oct 7 with 4581 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:45 - Oct 7 by PhilTWTD

Cheers, Phil.

Going back to something you and The_Last_Baron mentioned earlier, I've managed to find out that the League Cup game v Newcastle in 2001 was indeed shown on ONdigital - or whatever it was called at the time. I don't know a lot about it to be honest.

So just what was the situation with that service at the time? Was it pubs only or could people at home watch it? Did anyone here have a box/subscription? In other words, if anyone here reading this watched the game, how did you watch it?
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:57 - Oct 7 with 4566 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:43 - Oct 7 by Paul_B

Cheers, Phil.

Going back to something you and The_Last_Baron mentioned earlier, I've managed to find out that the League Cup game v Newcastle in 2001 was indeed shown on ONdigital - or whatever it was called at the time. I don't know a lot about it to be honest.

So just what was the situation with that service at the time? Was it pubs only or could people at home watch it? Did anyone here have a box/subscription? In other words, if anyone here reading this watched the game, how did you watch it?

I think it would have been ITV Digital at that point, changed from ONdigital when they got their football stuff up and running. Basically, it was ITV's attempt to sell their set-top boxes using a similar method to Sky, via football. They paid loads of money for Football League coverage to try to get people to buy their boxes.

The problem with this was that lots of people had already got Sky boxes and not enough people bought ITV's boxes, hence some matches were watched live by more than saw them on the telly.

ITV Digital collapsed which meant clubs didn't get the £2million they were due in 2002/03, which was a significant factor in Town going into administration, incidentally.

More here: http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2014/03/12/the-effect-of-the-itv-digital-co
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:10 - Oct 7 with 4547 viewsITFC_Forever

Cheers, Phil.

I can remember that Newcastle League Cup game, we lost 1-4 and Sheepy went walkabout in the away end to thank those who travelled, one of the smaller away followings of that era!

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:00 - Oct 7 with 4519 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:57 - Oct 7 by PhilTWTD

I think it would have been ITV Digital at that point, changed from ONdigital when they got their football stuff up and running. Basically, it was ITV's attempt to sell their set-top boxes using a similar method to Sky, via football. They paid loads of money for Football League coverage to try to get people to buy their boxes.

The problem with this was that lots of people had already got Sky boxes and not enough people bought ITV's boxes, hence some matches were watched live by more than saw them on the telly.

ITV Digital collapsed which meant clubs didn't get the £2million they were due in 2002/03, which was a significant factor in Town going into administration, incidentally.

More here: http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2014/03/12/the-effect-of-the-itv-digital-co

Thanks again.

I obviously knew of ITV Digital's collapse, it's just I wasn't too clear on how things worked (or should I say, didn't work) when it was in operation. Needless to say I never had it, knew anyone that did or saw it anywhere.

It's only now that I can even vaguely remember being aware that the game was on at the time.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:07 - Oct 7 with 4505 viewsTractorJack

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:21 - Oct 7 by Paul_B

You could set up a Google docs spreadsheet.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:25 - Oct 7 with 4473 viewsRadlett_blue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:57 - Oct 7 by PhilTWTD

That was all down to that buffoon, Keith Harris, who was chair of the FL, only agreeing a short form contract with a subsidiary of ITV, which they chose to liquidate. Amazingly, the same Keith Harris (without Orville, presumably) was brokering football deals not long afterwards.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 00:31 - Oct 8 with 4441 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Cheers, Phil.

I watched it while at work where we had access to all live football broadcast in the UK.

I can't remember which channel it was on but could well have been something along the lines of On Digital.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:42 - Oct 8 with 4378 viewsPaul_B

How about this one folks? The 1-1 draw at home to Cardiff in 2003/04 on the final day of the season? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3676111.stm

I don't know where I got this from but saw something to suggest it might have been on. It was on my 'maybe' list. Sounds feasible, given that it was a match involving a play-off chasing team but I really can't remember if it was on or not.

The Sheffield United away game was on TV just days before so perhaps not.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:49 - Oct 8 with 4369 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:42 - Oct 8 by Paul_B

How about this one folks? The 1-1 draw at home to Cardiff in 2003/04 on the final day of the season? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3676111.stm

I don't know where I got this from but saw something to suggest it might have been on. It was on my 'maybe' list. Sounds feasible, given that it was a match involving a play-off chasing team but I really can't remember if it was on or not.

The Sheffield United away game was on TV just days before so perhaps not.

Yes it was:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/6630
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:26 - Oct 8 with 4331 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:49 - Oct 8 by PhilTWTD

Yes it was:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/6630

Woo-hoo. That's another one then. Thanks.

I was going to ask which channel it was on but managed to find the answer. http://www.footballforums.net/showthread.php/63173-ipswich-vs-cardiff-and-palace

Gotta love the interweb.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:13 - Oct 8 with 4274 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:26 - Oct 8 by Paul_B

Woo-hoo. That's another one then. Thanks.

I was going to ask which channel it was on but managed to find the answer. http://www.footballforums.net/showthread.php/63173-ipswich-vs-cardiff-and-palace

Gotta love the interweb.

Paul B, you've got to put the Sheffield United home play-off game on your list. Extra-time was shown live, I am 100% sure on this - I remember watching it while a student. A very frustrating and depressing experience.

It may not be on any official listings anywhere but Sky switched from whatever they had been showing to our game. I've got a feeling it was the other semi-final between Wolves and Palace which ended on 90 minutes.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:58 - Oct 8 with 4249 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:13 - Oct 8 by The_Last_Baron

Paul B, you've got to put the Sheffield United home play-off game on your list. Extra-time was shown live, I am 100% sure on this - I remember watching it while a student. A very frustrating and depressing experience.

It may not be on any official listings anywhere but Sky switched from whatever they had been showing to our game. I've got a feeling it was the other semi-final between Wolves and Palace which ended on 90 minutes.

OK mate, added.

Is the note I've put beside it a fair comment?

I'll go through this thread again to try and tie up any loose ends.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:07 - Oct 8 with 4235 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:58 - Oct 8 by Paul_B

OK mate, added.

Is the note I've put beside it a fair comment?

I'll go through this thread again to try and tie up any loose ends.

Souds good.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:51 - Oct 8 with 4216 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:30 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

The home leg against Charlton was on TV. Not sure about the second leg at The Valley.

Yes, I believe it was. This is one I haven't added to the list yet...

Didn't Jamie Clapham score an own goal?

We've since established that the 2nd leg wasn't on TV, just shown on a big screen at PR.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2015 17:50]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:10 - Oct 12 with 4074 viewsPaul_B

New addition to the list:

2008/09
=======
Crystal Palace (H) 1-1 - 27th Sept 2008 (Sky Sports)
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:45 - Oct 13 with 3924 viewsPaul_B

Right then, folks. Would you be able to help me add an extra layer of detail to this list?

I've been able to find out the exact channels that each of the games in the main list were on apart from those listed below (which is quite a few). Generally speaking, I know which broadcaster it was - just not sure on which channel. Thanks guys!

1987/88
=======
Man Utd (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC 1 or BBC2 ?] (KO: 3:05 PM)

1993/94
=======
Wolves (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 5th Round, Replay [SKY OR BBC?] (KO: 7:45 PM)

1994/95
=======
Coventry (A) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Sheff Weds (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Norwich (A) L 0-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)

1997/98
=======
Norwich (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Sheff Utd (H) D 2-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Nottm Forest (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:05 PM)
Charlton (H) L 0-1 - Championship: Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)

1998/99
=======
Sunderland (H) L 0-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 6:00 PM)
Sheff Utd (A) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Sunderland (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Stockport (H) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Birmingham (A) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Sheff Utd (H) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:30 PM)

1999/00
=======
Brentford (A) W 2-0 - Capital One Cup: 1st Round, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Swindon (A) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Man City (H) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Nottm Forest (A) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Southampton (H) L 0-1 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
West Brom (A) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Bolton (A) D 2-2 - Championship: Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Barnsley (A) W 4-2 - Championship: Play-Off Final [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 3:00 PM)

2000/01
=======
Coventry (A) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Charlton (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Man City (H) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)

2001/02
=======
Blackburn (H) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Leeds (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Helsingborgs (H) D 0-0 - UEFA Europa League: 2nd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 8:05 PM)
West Ham (H) L 2-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 2:00 PM)
Bolton (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Inter Milan (H) W 1-0 - UEFA Europa League: 3rd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Aston Villa (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Man City (H) L 1-4 - FA Cup: 4th Round [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 7:00 PM)
Man Utd (H) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)

2002/03
=======
Norwich (H) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:00 PM)
Leicester (A) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 6:05 PM)
Portsmouth (H) W 3-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:15 PM)

2003/04
=======
Stoke (H) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)
Wigan (H) L 1-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)
Watford (H) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:00 PM)
West Brom (H) L 2-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:05 PM)
Sheff Utd (A) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:35 - Oct 14 with 3845 viewschevblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:45 - Oct 13 by Paul_B

Right then, folks. Would you be able to help me add an extra layer of detail to this list?

I've been able to find out the exact channels that each of the games in the main list were on apart from those listed below (which is quite a few). Generally speaking, I know which broadcaster it was - just not sure on which channel. Thanks guys!

1987/88
=======
Man Utd (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC 1 or BBC2 ?] (KO: 3:05 PM)

1993/94
=======
Wolves (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 5th Round, Replay [SKY OR BBC?] (KO: 7:45 PM)

1994/95
=======
Coventry (A) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Sheff Weds (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Norwich (A) L 0-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)

1997/98
=======
Norwich (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Sheff Utd (H) D 2-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Nottm Forest (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:05 PM)
Charlton (H) L 0-1 - Championship: Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)

1998/99
=======
Sunderland (H) L 0-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 6:00 PM)
Sheff Utd (A) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Sunderland (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Stockport (H) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Birmingham (A) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Sheff Utd (H) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:30 PM)

1999/00
=======
Brentford (A) W 2-0 - Capital One Cup: 1st Round, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Swindon (A) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Man City (H) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Nottm Forest (A) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Southampton (H) L 0-1 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
West Brom (A) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Bolton (A) D 2-2 - Championship: Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 1:00 PM)
Barnsley (A) W 4-2 - Championship: Play-Off Final [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 3:00 PM)

2000/01
=======
Coventry (A) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Charlton (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Man City (H) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)

2001/02
=======
Blackburn (H) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Leeds (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Helsingborgs (H) D 0-0 - UEFA Europa League: 2nd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 8:05 PM)
West Ham (H) L 2-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 2:00 PM)
Bolton (H) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:00 PM)
Inter Milan (H) W 1-0 - UEFA Europa League: 3rd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Aston Villa (A) L 1-2 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 8:00 PM)
Man City (H) L 1-4 - FA Cup: 4th Round [BBC ___ ?] (KO: 7:00 PM)
Man Utd (H) L 0-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)

2002/03
=======
Norwich (H) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:00 PM)
Leicester (A) W 2-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 6:05 PM)
Portsmouth (H) W 3-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:15 PM)

2003/04
=======
Stoke (H) W 1-0 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)
Wigan (H) L 1-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 5:35 PM)
Watford (H) W 4-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 12:00 PM)
West Brom (H) L 2-3 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 4:05 PM)
Sheff Utd (A) D 1-1 [SKY ___ ?] (KO: 7:45 PM)

1987/88
=======
Man Utd (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC ONE] (KO: 3:05 PM)
2001/02
=======
Helsingborgs (H) D 0-0 - UEFA Europa League: 2nd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ONE] (KO: 8:05 PM)
Inter Milan (H) W 1-0 - UEFA Europa League: 3rd Round, 1st Leg [BBC TWO] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Man City (H) L 1-4 - FA Cup: 4th Round [BBC ONE] (KO: 7:00 PM)

Info from the BBC Genome project…

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&q=ipswich+town&media=tv&yf=1923&yt=
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 10:36]

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024