Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48825 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:19 - Oct 16 with 3847 viewsPaul_B

So how does it work when games like Brighton at home this season are broadcast abroad? They tend to be the games that are featured on the Football League Show, or Football League Tonight as it is now. Does the UK highlights programme nominate which games cameras are taken to and the foreign broadcasters make use of it or vice versa?

Incidentally, I am only intending on listing games that are legally broadcast in the UK.

@The_Last_Baron I'll make arrangements for a fight between you and those that are saying it was on Sky as a means of settling this one.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:31 - Oct 16 with 3832 viewsITFC_Forever

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:11 - Oct 15 by The_Last_Baron

The replay between Town and Wolves was definitely NOT on TV. Highlights only later that night.

Haven't read the whole thread, but if you're talking about the Wolves replay in the mid-90s that we lost at home, that was definitely live on TV (assume Sky), I can remember watching it in the pub at Uni.
There was a League Cup semi (Man U v Sheff Weds I think) on one screen that a couple of mates were watching and I was watching our game on the other tele.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:32 - Oct 16 with 3832 viewsITFC_Forever

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:33 - Oct 15 by The_Last_Baron

Ipswich v Liverpool FA Cup tie at Portman Road was definitely on Sky. Sunday lunchtime kick-off.

Agree with you on that one - both Liverpool cup games in 1992 were on Sky.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:28 - Oct 16 with 3806 viewsblue_oyster

How this thread hasn't been pinned by the administrators is shameful.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:34 - Oct 16 with 3797 viewsDoobDude

And still you haven't got the home game against Crystal Palace on the 25th April 2000. Definitely watched it on TV, Ashley Cole was playing for them.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:23 - Oct 16 with 3776 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:34 - Oct 16 by DoobDude

And still you haven't got the home game against Crystal Palace on the 25th April 2000. Definitely watched it on TV, Ashley Cole was playing for them.

Apologies, I somehow missed your earlier post.

You're right, it was - http://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOTBALL%3A+IPSWICH+v+C+PALACE+live+on+Sky+Sports+

Thanks, I'll get this added.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:24 - Oct 16 with 3737 viewspatrickswell

Has anyone mentioned the 2-0 win over Sunderland in April 1998? Matt Holland and Alex Mathie the scorers in a Tuesday evening kick-off. Mathie also had a penalty saved. I had taken my then girlfriend away for the oxymoronic romantic few days at Alton Towers.

I watched the game a few days after it was played. One of those lovely, late in the season evenings, Burley's first fine side in its pomp - they had only lost one league game since the end of November, the crowd still singing "We beat the Scum, 5-0"....TWTD...

EDIT - yes, they had.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2015 19:28]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:35 - Oct 16 with 3704 viewsParisBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:23 - Oct 16 by Paul_B

Apologies, I somehow missed your earlier post.

You're right, it was - http://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOTBALL%3A+IPSWICH+v+C+PALACE+live+on+Sky+Sports+

Thanks, I'll get this added.

Leicester away in Jan 2010. Late choice by Sky due to bad weather postponing their planned game couple of days before .

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:03 - Oct 17 with 3625 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:35 - Oct 16 by ParisBlue

Leicester away in Jan 2010. Late choice by Sky due to bad weather postponing their planned game couple of days before .

Correctamundo. Phil actually made reference to this one earlier but I forgot to look it up. Added. Thanks!

I've also managed to find out which channels a whole bunch of games were on. Not many left to solve now.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:09 - Oct 18 with 3579 viewsPaul_B

Seems like the 2-3 home defeat to West Ham in 2001 was on pay-per-view (ITV) and not Sky.

I had totally forgotten about this. I would have bought the game as well 'cause I remember watching it at home.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/1786/west-ham-game-moves
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 21 with 3496 viewsPaul_B

New game added to the list:

1998/99
=======
Bolton (A) L 0-1 - Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg (Sky Sports 2)
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:00 - Oct 21 with 3487 viewsblue_oyster

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

1998/99
=======

I think the score away at Liverpool in 92 was 3-2 to Liverpool.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:41 - Oct 21 with 3477 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:00 - Oct 21 by blue_oyster

I think the score away at Liverpool in 92 was 3-2 to Liverpool.

Ah, yes. The list was auto-generated from my database so I just copied and pasted it in for ease.

It only displays the results after 90 minutes though and I forgot to manually add in the score after extra-time. Now updated.

I'll try and keep both lists up-to-date but I suggest you folks pay more attention to this one - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

As you can see, there's only a handful of games with missing info (channels) and even that is "nice to have" information.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:28 - Oct 21 with 3446 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:41 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

Ah, yes. The list was auto-generated from my database so I just copied and pasted it in for ease.

It only displays the results after 90 minutes though and I forgot to manually add in the score after extra-time. Now updated.

I'll try and keep both lists up-to-date but I suggest you folks pay more attention to this one - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

As you can see, there's only a handful of games with missing info (channels) and even that is "nice to have" information.

Excellent work, sir. I take my hat off to you. Well, I would if I had one.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:58 - Oct 21 with 3422 viewsgainsboroughblue

Really excellent work mate. 12 games since a TV win though, ouch.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:05 - Oct 21 with 3414 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:58 - Oct 21 by gainsboroughblue

Actually... that's not a bad idea to include relevant stats as well as each one listed... such as Games played, wins, draws, defeats, goals for, goals against... to see that kind of information at a glance.

We may not want to see it of course, given how poorly we have done overall when on TV, but for the purposes of a more complete informational piece, would be good to include.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:08 - Oct 21 with 3409 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:05 - Oct 21 by hoppy

Actually... that's not a bad idea to include relevant stats as well as each one listed... such as Games played, wins, draws, defeats, goals for, goals against... to see that kind of information at a glance.

We may not want to see it of course, given how poorly we have done overall when on TV, but for the purposes of a more complete informational piece, would be good to include.

I think Paul said this was the next phase of this piece of work. I'm going to see how many of these I actually went to.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:49 - Oct 21 with 3365 viewsPaul_B

Thanks hoppy & gainsboroughblue although I obviously couldn't have done it without the input of a lot of you folks on here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

@hoppy: You're in luck because I did the figures last night. I wasn't going to post them yet but seeing as you ask...

So, assuming that the current list is complete: (which is by no means certain)

---

Technically, we have had 144.25 games broadcast live but seeing as we didn't actually score or concede a goal in the extra-time period v Bolton in 1997 and the fact that it wasn't a full live game - I'll disregard it.

Played: 144
Won: 53
Drawn:30
Lost: 61
Goals For: 189
Goals Against: 205
Goal Difference: -16
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:54 - Oct 21 with 3345 viewsRadlett_blue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

1998/99
=======

Denied a penalty when Johnno was brought down by our friend Mark Fish & then even more annoyed by a late strike form Cox I think.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:55 - Oct 21 with 3339 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:49 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

Thanks hoppy & gainsboroughblue although I obviously couldn't have done it without the input of a lot of you folks on here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

@hoppy: You're in luck because I did the figures last night. I wasn't going to post them yet but seeing as you ask...

---

Technically, we have had 144.25 games broadcast live but seeing as we didn't actually score or concede a goal in the extra-time period v Bolton in 1997 and the fact that it wasn't a full live game - I'll disregard it.

I had assumed we'd done rather worse than that overall... we're not that far behind in terms of wins against defeats... certainly need to rectify the more recent form for tv games though.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:04 - Oct 21 with 3329 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:58 - Oct 21 by gainsboroughblue

We could yet go the whole calendar year without winning a game on the box. It's not as if we've had a shortage of TV games. Our next TV game is the scene of our last win however so let's hope for the same again.

That's another thing I'll do to the list in time - make it easier to see which games were wins/draws/defeats. Will probably colour code them. For now I'm using it to highlight missing information.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:14 - Oct 21 with 3322 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:49 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

---

Impressive stuff and no surprise to see our TV record isn't as good as it might be! I take it you left the Youth Cup games out as they're not first team games?
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:24 - Oct 21 with 3310 viewsYogiBear

One game missing was against Norwich at Portman Road in August 1994. City won 2 - 1 & might be remembered as the match where the lines were washed out by heavy rain. Norwich's penalty was originally given as a free kick & only changed when the ref looked closer at the disappearing lines! It was the last time Norwich got a penalty in an away premier league game
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:32 - Oct 21 with 3298 viewsMeadowlark

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:53 - Oct 6 by MrBloo

Wasn't there something back in the 60's. Before Alan Brazil's time. I'm sure it was in black and white, before colour TV.

Where are the oldies today who have knowledge of these things?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:54]

Match of the Week with Gerry Harrison commentating. They used to show one of the Saturday matches on Sunday afternoon. The Anglia region stretched from Hull to Luton, although I guess not all that many teams within this huge area. Gerry's favourite expression was that player x showed a "lot of poise..."
TWTD
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:38 - Oct 21 with 3291 viewsgainsboroughblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:24 - Oct 21 by YogiBear

One game missing was against Norwich at Portman Road in August 1994. City won 2 - 1 & might be remembered as the match where the lines were washed out by heavy rain. Norwich's penalty was originally given as a free kick & only changed when the ref looked closer at the disappearing lines! It was the last time Norwich got a penalty in an away premier league game

Our TV record not looking any better!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024