Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48891 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:03 - Oct 21 with 5069 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:14 - Oct 21 by PhilTWTD

Impressive stuff and no surprise to see our TV record isn't as good as it might be! I take it you left the Youth Cup games out as they're not first team games?

Just first team matches, yeah.

Our youth team's record on TV doesn't take quite as much working out however!

P2 W1 D1 L0 GF3 GA2 GD+1

@YogiBear Good call. Looks like you're right. I wondered if there were any derby matches we had missed out.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 09:29 - Oct 22 with 4992 viewsSuperfrans

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:49 - Oct 21 by Paul_B

Thanks hoppy & gainsboroughblue although I obviously couldn't have done it without the input of a lot of you folks on here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

@hoppy: You're in luck because I did the figures last night. I wasn't going to post them yet but seeing as you ask...

So, assuming that the current list is complete: (which is by no means certain)

---

Technically, we have had 144.25 games broadcast live but seeing as we didn't actually score or concede a goal in the extra-time period v Bolton in 1997 and the fact that it wasn't a full live game - I'll disregard it.

Played: 144
Won: 53
Drawn:30
Lost: 61
Goals For: 189
Goals Against: 205
Goal Difference: -16

Are you going to publish the full list somewhere?

Maybe Phil/Gav will host it on here? It would also be a way of users to further refine it? Users could be encouraged to post further comments per game, maybe even links to YouTube?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:02 - Oct 22 with 4986 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 09:29 - Oct 22 by Superfrans

Maybe Phil/Gav will host it on here? It would also be a way of users to further refine it? Users could be encouraged to post further comments per game, maybe even links to YouTube?

I'm happy to do the list as a story when we're all happy it's all done and dusted and complete. From an archive perspective perhaps Pride of Anglia might be up for maintaining it or hosting it.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:16 - Oct 22 with 4939 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 09:29 - Oct 22 by Superfrans

As alluded to earlier this is all working towards something much bigger than just a list of Ipswich Town games. The current list is hosted on a sub-domain of a website that I will soon be launching.

To answer your question though, all of the things you mention will be possible with what I have in mind. People will even be able to physically add data themselves, for example.

In the meantime, I would say that sharing links to this thread or my online list (which itself links through to this thread) would be a pretty effective way of encouraging people to help out. It's got us this far. We really have gathered an incredible amount of info in a short space of time. Thanks folks!
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Nov 9 with 4733 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:16 - Oct 22 by Paul_B

As alluded to earlier this is all working towards something much bigger than just a list of Ipswich Town games. The current list is hosted on a sub-domain of a website that I will soon be launching.

To answer your question though, all of the things you mention will be possible with what I have in mind. People will even be able to physically add data themselves, for example.

In the meantime, I would say that sharing links to this thread or my online list (which itself links through to this thread) would be a pretty effective way of encouraging people to help out. It's got us this far. We really have gathered an incredible amount of info in a short space of time. Thanks folks!

Right then folks - I've managed to find out all of the details for all of the matches apart from the 1st leg of the play-off semi-final v Charlton in 1998. It was on Sky but don't know which channel. That's all I'm missing! It's bugging me... does anyone recall or have a VHS recording of it somewhere or something? I probably would have recorded over it if I did, though I'm pretty sure I didn't have Sky back then.

As YogiBear pointed out, there was a missing East Anglian Derby game so I've added it in.

The list - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0 (just one game marked in red!)

So, the updated overall TV record is:

Played: 145
Drawn: 30
Lost: 62
Goals For: 190
Goals Against: 207
Goal Difference: -17
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:50 - Nov 9 with 4715 viewsblue_oyster

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Nov 9 by Paul_B

Right then folks - I've managed to find out all of the details for all of the matches apart from the 1st leg of the play-off semi-final v Charlton in 1998. It was on Sky but don't know which channel. That's all I'm missing! It's bugging me... does anyone recall or have a VHS recording of it somewhere or something? I probably would have recorded over it if I did, though I'm pretty sure I didn't have Sky back then.

As YogiBear pointed out, there was a missing East Anglian Derby game so I've added it in.

Yep exactly what I thought.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:19 - Nov 15 with 4607 viewsPaul_B

I've given the list a bit of a facelift - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

You can now see whether each game was win/lose/draw at a glance and it's even fully responsive!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2015 22:19]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:22 - Nov 25 with 4469 viewsCarberry

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:19 - Nov 15 by Paul_B

I've given the list a bit of a facelift - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

You can now see whether each game was win/lose/draw at a glance and it's even fully responsive!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2015 22:19]

Paul B
Strangely only the 2nd half of the 1962 Charity Shield on Saturday 11th August was shown live on BBC2 apparently, Town losing 5-1 to Spurs at Portman Road.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/cupfinals_bw.html
Wasn't the Charity Shield fixture in 1978 which Town lost 5-0 to Forest shown live?
Well done for taking on such a major task. Fascinating.
Best wishes
Carberry
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 22:42]
Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:35 - Nov 25 with 4443 viewsPaul_B

Well how about it... seems like it was.

Here are the Grandstand listings for that day retrieved using the BBC Genome Project. http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/2f2ee1ca926343f6bef53fb9f30eeb48

The site you linked to has been a great source of info during all of this but I didn't spot that one!

If that's the only omission I'll be pleased as it's quite obscure. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try and shoehorn it in somehow.

As for the Charity Shield game v Forest, quite a few people have flagged that one up - probably under the assumption that it would have been more than anything else. I don't believe it was, though it's probably worth looking into again. Cheers.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:37 - Nov 26 with 4360 viewsPaul_B

I have updated the page to accommodate games that were only broadcast live in part, complete with short explanations.

http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk

Thanks once again Carberry.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:52 - Sep 27 with 1012 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Sep 27 with 958 viewsxrayspecs

Is it still possible to view the full list?
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:05 - Sep 28 with 859 viewsITFC_History

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Nov 9 by Paul_B

Here you go - Sky Sports 2
Posted this a while back. Great viewing especially at the start
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 17:06]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:06 - Sep 28 with 799 viewsfloridablue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 17:05 - Sep 28 by ITFC_History

Here you go - Sky Sports 2
Posted this a while back. Great viewing especially at the start
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 17:06]

Excellent, thanks for posting as I was out of the country for this game and cannot even remember the result/score (obviously know Town didn't make Wembley). Something to watch later, and Sir Bobby there in the studio!
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:52 - Sep 28 with 761 viewscarlisleaway

October 1993 Wimbledon 0 Ipswich 2
Stockwell from the half way line
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:27 - Sep 28 with 724 viewsxrayspecs

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Sep 27 by xrayspecs

Is it still possible to view the full list?

Bumping.

I get an error message when clicking on the original list link

Newcastle (H) for Bobby Robson memorial games was live. Is this on the list?
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 02:49 - Sep 29 with 696 viewsMillsyVOR

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:52 - Sep 27 by SitfcB

It’s a reasonable read 👌
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024