Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48879 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:40 - Oct 6 with 1873 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:32 - Oct 6 by Superfrans

Was the Charity Shield shown live in those days, for instance in 1978? We lost 5-0 to Forest, as I recall...

No. Even the League Cup final wasn't always shown live on TV for many years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:44 - Oct 6 with 1858 viewsMrBloo

Don't forget that there used to be a Sunday afternoon football show on Anglia that featured Ipswich Town. I can't remember what it was called but at least I can remember the programme.

Poll: Will Paddy Kenny have grow a beard to fit in with the other Keepers?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:45 - Oct 6 with 1861 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:38 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

I'm pretty sure that wasn't on TV as well for some reason.

Come to think of it they only showed the extra-time period live on Sky. I remember listening to the commentary on Radio Five and then Sky switched live to PR for the 30 minutes. The only thing I remember from that was Neil Gregory's air shot near the end when he should have buried it.

Was the same night Barcelona won the Cup WInners Cup under Bobby Robson.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:46 - Oct 6 with 1852 viewsIllinoisblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:39 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

There was another Leicester one, might have been the year before, when it was on a Sunday because of a clash with rugby and it ended up on Sky as their planned game was snowed off.

Talking of Sunday games, the 5-0 home v Luton? Away at wolves when Fred Barber was in goal was definitely live on ITV.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:46 - Oct 6 with 1848 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:44 - Oct 6 by MrBloo

Don't forget that there used to be a Sunday afternoon football show on Anglia that featured Ipswich Town. I can't remember what it was called but at least I can remember the programme.

Yeah, Barry Fry and Alan Brazil were regular pundits. Would have been mid 90s.

Remember Ipswich 4 Leicester 2, Ipswich 0 Luton 1 - 95/96 season when we were still finding our feet after relegation. Also the famous non-penalty game at Norwich was also shown on Anglia.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:49]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 with 1847 viewsTractorboy24

There was a live game v Luton at home in 06/07 I think, won 5-0 with an Alan lee hatrick. Also Coventry home the following season was on tv, won 4-1.

There was a game late 90s where we either played Luton or man city, think it was the launch game of sky sports 3 as my dad got it especially, we may have played both on tv, city game definitely as that was when Gary croft scored on his debut, with the ankle tag.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 with 1845 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:44 - Oct 6 by MrBloo

Kick Off. It featured all the region's teams.

Presented by Kevin Piper with Alan Brazil traditionally the studio guest.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:47]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 with 1841 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:46 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

Talking of Sunday games, the 5-0 home v Luton? Away at wolves when Fred Barber was in goal was definitely live on ITV.

The Fred Barber game was on Anglia. Last minute equaliser from Mowbray.

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:49 - Oct 6 with 1827 viewsIllinoisblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 by Tractorboy24

There was a live game v Luton at home in 06/07 I think, won 5-0 with an Alan lee hatrick. Also Coventry home the following season was on tv, won 4-1.

There was a game late 90s where we either played Luton or man city, think it was the launch game of sky sports 3 as my dad got it especially, we may have played both on tv, city game definitely as that was when Gary croft scored on his debut, with the ankle tag.

Good shout on the gary croft game, sunday game v man city.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:49 - Oct 6 with 1829 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:46 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

There was also the one and only appearance on On Digital when we lost 4-1 at Newcastle in the Carling/Rumbelows/Menumaster/Whateveritwasatthatpoint Cup.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 with 1818 viewsSteve_M

Palace in 07/08 was on Sky as well.

I think most of the Norwich home games under Magilton (when we used to beat them) were televised.

2003/04
Stoke (h)
Wigan (h)

04/05
Wigan (h)

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 with 1812 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:49 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

Good shout on the gary croft game, sunday game v man city.

I'd forgotten that Croft scored on his debut, but think his arrest was a few days afterwards so no tag.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 with 1813 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The opening game of the 1996-97 season was also live, a Friday night game. Manchester beat us 1-0 at Maine Road and Steve Lomas scored.

It was the debut of our famous Abbot Ale away kit.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 with 1810 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

The Fred Barber game was on Anglia. Last minute equaliser from Mowbray.

95/96 I think, my first year at uni.

Was the Kelvin Lynch game at Carrow Road on Anglia that same year?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 with 1808 viewsDarth_Koont

I remember that Leicester game vividly as I watched it with my best mate who is a Leicester fan.

We went 3-0 up then they pegged us back to 3-2 before Marshall made it safe. I think we were both screaming at the TV in the last 15 minutes and nearly came to blows when Warky missed the penalty and Leicester went up the other end and scored.

Struggling to remember a more mental televised game than that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:53 - Oct 6 with 1811 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

I'd forgotten that Croft scored on his debut, but think his arrest was a few days afterwards so no tag.

The reason he got arrested was because of the publicity he got after he scored. The copper who'd stopped him recognised his face in the newspaper.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:53 - Oct 6 with 1803 viewsMrBloo

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:47 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Kick Off. It featured all the region's teams.

Presented by Kevin Piper with Alan Brazil traditionally the studio guest.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:47]

Wasn't there something back in the 60's. Before Alan Brazil's time. I'm sure it was in black and white, before colour TV.

Where are the oldies today who have knowledge of these things?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:54]

Poll: Will Paddy Kenny have grow a beard to fit in with the other Keepers?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:54 - Oct 6 with 1795 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

I remember that Leicester game vividly as I watched it with my best mate who is a Leicester fan.

We went 3-0 up then they pegged us back to 3-2 before Marshall made it safe. I think we were both screaming at the TV in the last 15 minutes and nearly came to blows when Warky missed the penalty and Leicester went up the other end and scored.

Struggling to remember a more mental televised game than that.

Was a cracker.

Also Warky's free kick was his final goal for Town.

The penalty was the last he ever took - ironic that he missed it as he was a great spot kick taker.

This was also Steve Claridge's debut for Leicester. The only club he hung around with for any length of time. He scored and so did Iwan Roberts.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 12:55]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:56 - Oct 6 with 1779 viewsKilburnBlue

Other games were when Matt Holland scored a screamer at Sunderland in the 1998/99 season

A Friday night game against Charlton in 1996 where Sedgely scored from a free kick.

& the game where Johnson & Magilton had a punch up

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:57 - Oct 6 with 1778 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:53 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

The reason he got arrested was because of the publicity he got after he scored. The copper who'd stopped him recognised his face in the newspaper.

I remember that now you mention it.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:57 - Oct 6 with 1780 viewsSuperfrans

Interesting fact.

The first time any of the local ITV franchises launched a weekly Sunday afternoon highlights show was when Anglia launched Match Of The Week in 1962. This was a precursor to The Big Match in London, among many others.

The first match it broadcast was Ipswich 2 Wolves 3 at Portman Road.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:58 - Oct 6 with 1764 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:29 - Oct 6 by The_Last_Baron

Sheffield United at home in the 1997 play-offs was live on Sky.

No it wasn't.

Loads missed here though. Bowditch v Watford game was on sky wasn't it.

Has anybody mentioned beating Leeds 4-2 at home in 92? Sure that was on sky too.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:59 - Oct 6 with 1760 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:52 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

95/96 I think, my first year at uni.

Was the Kelvin Lynch game at Carrow Road on Anglia that same year?

Kevin Lynch, I think. Yes, it was as I was living elsewhere at the time and the local ITV station didn't show it. Had to put up with Birmingham v Port Vale or similar instead.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:59 - Oct 6 with 1759 viewsKilburnBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:58 - Oct 6 by PrideOfTheEast

No it wasn't.

Loads missed here though. Bowditch v Watford game was on sky wasn't it.

Has anybody mentioned beating Leeds 4-2 at home in 92? Sure that was on sky too.

Pretty sure that game wasnt live. That was a Saturday game. Sky never showed live games on a Saturday back then.

edited but we were the main game on Match of the day though.

Just thought of another Wolves at home in the FA Cup where we lost 2-1 when Palmer scored for us
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 13:01]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:00 - Oct 6 with 1758 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Palace in 07/08 was on Sky as well.

I think most of the Norwich home games under Magilton (when we used to beat them) were televised.

2003/04
Stoke (h)
Wigan (h)

04/05
Wigan (h)

Forgot the Stoke game was on TV. This was when they were a poor side with 11 6 ft 3 men in their team. Royle called them the LAnd of the Giants. It was before their long ball tactics became effective.

We battered them for the whole game should have been 5-0 up instead of 1-0, and then with two minutes to go a shot by one of their players hit both posts. Would have been a robbery.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024