Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48863 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:06 - Oct 6 with 2061 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:53 - Oct 6 by bournemouthblue

How's this list shaping up then, is anyone doing an updated list?

I'll get there eventually although like Steve_M says it's not going to be a 5-minute job!

In the meantime, keep posting so that I... uh, never have the chance to catch up.

Oh God, what have I let myself in for...
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:07]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:07 - Oct 6 with 2052 viewsIllinoisblue

another one, sometime around 2006/7/8/9 (narrows it down!) we were away at Reading on a Sunday afternoon and got smashed 3 or 4 nil.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:11 - Oct 6 with 2032 viewsSuperfrans

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:01 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Pretty much everything really. The date, kick off time, competition, result, channel(s)... the full works. There's nothing you can post that won't be of use. For now though a base list is what I'm after. Specifics like channels can be researched later.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I will post an updated list at some point to make things easier. I can see that already a few games are being mentioned multiple times.

Just to reiterate, my original list was never supposed to be THE definitive list - just a few games I'd thrown together from memory to start us off. The aim is to make it INTO the definitive list of Town games on TV. Of course, my knowledge only goes back so far anyway so I'm relying on some of the older members here to recall the days prior to Sky television.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:04]

Might be also worth asking around among the stattoes (the online forums, stat sites etc) whether there is a definitive all-time list of all live televised games ever. I'm sure someone, somewhere has already compiled such a thing. I'm actually amazed that it isn't just available online somewhere. Pretty much every other list ever is, in some form or another.

Clearly, if you find the all-time list of ALL games (UK only, to start with), you'll have the Ipswich list too...

I can't imagine it is that tall an order. The Sky years are so recent someone must have compiled them together at some stage. And, before that, live matches were pretty uncommon - maybe 2-3 a year pre Eighties and even into the Eighties did any regular league deals get done.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:14 - Oct 6 with 2028 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:07 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

another one, sometime around 2006/7/8/9 (narrows it down!) we were away at Reading on a Sunday afternoon and got smashed 3 or 4 nil.

Think it's been mentioned. It was 05-06 and it was actually only 2-0. I'm not sure how as we were awful.

The only other salient point of that day is that Adam Proudlock had a shot saved from a well-struck volley. It was the only good thing he did in a Town shirt.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:18 - Oct 6 with 2006 viewsTractorJack

Beat Portsmouth 3-0 at home 02/03.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:24 - Oct 6 with 1995 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:11 - Oct 6 by Superfrans

Might be also worth asking around among the stattoes (the online forums, stat sites etc) whether there is a definitive all-time list of all live televised games ever. I'm sure someone, somewhere has already compiled such a thing. I'm actually amazed that it isn't just available online somewhere. Pretty much every other list ever is, in some form or another.

Clearly, if you find the all-time list of ALL games (UK only, to start with), you'll have the Ipswich list too...

I can't imagine it is that tall an order. The Sky years are so recent someone must have compiled them together at some stage. And, before that, live matches were pretty uncommon - maybe 2-3 a year pre Eighties and even into the Eighties did any regular league deals get done.

Funny you should say that as that isn't a million miles from a project I'm taking on myself (with a little help from my friends ;)). As far as I'm aware no such comprehensive list exists although like you say, pretty much everything seems to be on the internet somewhere.

Obviously if anyone knows any different, do let me know but Ipswich is my club so that's my starting point.

All I do know is that certain club communities have a record of how many times their club has been on the box. Of course, the smaller the club, the easier it is to keep track of as TV appearances are few and far between. Take this list of Torquay games for example - http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/11540/tufc-live-on-tv
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:28 - Oct 6 with 1985 viewsmaccyd9

Sure they have been mentioned but couldn't immediately see them.

The two FA Cup games against Liverpool in the 91-92 promotion season?

Not 100% the home game was on, think it was, just remember it being exceptionally windy and Warky hitting the post from a corner.

The replay will go down in history as one of those defeats that will remain with you for a long time. That one, was definitely on.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:36 - Oct 6 with 1981 viewsmaccyd9

A couple of others I couldn't see mentioned

Wimbledon away at Selhurst. No idea of the year but pretty sure Micky Stockwell got a brace.

Sunderland away, again no idea on the year but we lost 2-0. Think Quinn and Philips both scored. A Sunday lunchtime IIRC.

Burnley, last game of Mick's first season. Mings debut.
Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 6 with 1957 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:28 - Oct 6 by maccyd9

Sure they have been mentioned but couldn't immediately see them.

The two FA Cup games against Liverpool in the 91-92 promotion season?

Not 100% the home game was on, think it was, just remember it being exceptionally windy and Warky hitting the post from a corner.

The replay will go down in history as one of those defeats that will remain with you for a long time. That one, was definitely on.

Yes, Phil mentioned both Liverpool Cup games earlier. I'm not sure if the home game was on TV either so could someone confirm? I know the replay was from watching the Tyler/Gray commentary on the highlights VHS/DVD time and again.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 6 with 1949 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:01 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Pretty much everything really. The date, kick off time, competition, result, channel(s)... the full works. There's nothing you can post that won't be of use. For now though a base list is what I'm after. Specifics like channels can be researched later.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I will post an updated list at some point to make things easier. I can see that already a few games are being mentioned multiple times.

Just to reiterate, my original list was never supposed to be THE definitive list - just a few games I'd thrown together from memory to start us off. The aim is to make it INTO the definitive list of Town games on TV. Of course, my knowledge only goes back so far anyway so I'm relying on some of the older members here to recall the days prior to Sky television.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:04]

The days before Sky television?

You mean football existed then?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:48 - Oct 6 with 1939 viewsfactual_blue

1978 FA Cup Final.....?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:49 - Oct 6 with 1937 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Yes, Phil mentioned both Liverpool Cup games earlier. I'm not sure if the home game was on TV either so could someone confirm? I know the replay was from watching the Tyler/Gray commentary on the highlights VHS/DVD time and again.

It definitely was, I watched it at a friend's house, he was the only person I knew who had Sky at the time.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:50 - Oct 6 with 1931 viewsSteve_M

It was. Sunday lunchtime kick off, 27k inside Portman Road for the first time in years.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:50 - Oct 6 with 1930 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:46 - Oct 6 by hoppy

The days before Sky television?

You mean football existed then?

Apparently it did. And I hear team called Ipswich Town conquered Europe. Ridiculous I know!
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:53 - Oct 6 with 1909 viewsmaccyd9

At home to Sheff Wed in 93/94, can't remember the score but remember David Hirst going clean through and tearing his hamstring as he blazed over.

Blackburn at home when Guentchev scored an over head???
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:55 - Oct 6 with 1904 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:48 - Oct 6 by factual_blue

1978 FA Cup Final.....?

Yep, got this one covered thanks. I should have the revised list up sometime within the next 5 years.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 14:56]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:57 - Oct 6 with 1889 viewsKilburnBlue

Yep the Liverpool game was defo on.

I was in Blackpool at the time on a stag weekend & managed to watch it in a B&B.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:57 - Oct 6 with 1887 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:53 - Oct 6 by maccyd9

At home to Sheff Wed in 93/94, can't remember the score but remember David Hirst going clean through and tearing his hamstring as he blazed over.

The year after, we lost 2-1. Walker nutted Milton at the final whistle and got sent off and Bonthc blazed a penalty well over.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:58 - Oct 6 with 1880 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:53 - Oct 6 by maccyd9

Don't think the Bontcho overhead kick was on TV. The Sheff Wed game, was that in the Coca-Cola Cup? Not sure that was live, might have been highlights.

I do recall a drab 0-0 with Leeds from that season-ish having been live one Sunday afternoon, listened to it on a rainy day in Hull. Great days.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:58 - Oct 6 with 1877 viewsIllinoisblue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:14 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Think it's been mentioned. It was 05-06 and it was actually only 2-0. I'm not sure how as we were awful.

The only other salient point of that day is that Adam Proudlock had a shot saved from a well-struck volley. It was the only good thing he did in a Town shirt.

it was only 2-0??! damn!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:59 - Oct 6 with 1877 viewsitfcjoe

I remember a 0-4 home defeat against Preston in August 2005 as I was down at uni watching it and Nugent got a couple against an inexperienced side

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:06 - Oct 6 with 1854 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:59 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

I remember a 0-4 home defeat against Preston in August 2005 as I was down at uni watching it and Nugent got a couple against an inexperienced side

Nugent scoring against us, are you sure about that?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:14 - Oct 6 with 1845 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:59 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

We played well right until Preston scored too......

I forgot that was early, that will explain me staggering up on the train with a big hangover. That and celebrating the end of the Trent Bridge Test the day before.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:15 - Oct 6 with 1838 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:06 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Also the 3-1 win against Bradford from the same season featuring three excellent goals and one excellent non-goal celebration.

Has Marcus Stewart's hat-trick at the Dell been mentioned at all? I'm pretty sure that was a Sky match as well.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:18 - Oct 6 with 1837 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:49 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

There was also the one and only appearance on On Digital when we lost 4-1 at Newcastle in the Carling/Rumbelows/Menumaster/Whateveritwasatthatpoint Cup.

Would this have been in the Nigel Worthington Cup in 2001?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/newcastle-united-v-ipswich-town-27-november-2001-10

I'm not sure I was even aware it was on in that case.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024