Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48875 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:21 - Oct 6 with 2305 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:15 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Has Marcus Stewart's hat-trick at the Dell been mentioned at all? I'm pretty sure that was a Sky match as well.

Only in the original post......

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:24 - Oct 6 with 2289 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:21 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Only in the original post......

Probably ought to have checked that.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:24 - Oct 6 with 2293 viewsmills

We were on Sky a lot in 2004-2005:

Brighton (a) final game of the season
Coventry (a) we won 2-1 (or 1-0) with a weird own goal winning for us
I imagine the Sunderland 2-2 home game was on Sky too.

2001-2002 I think our FA Cup defeat at home to Man City was shown, and 1998-1999 our home game against Walsall was too.

In the mid-2000s not all Norwich games were televised but 2005-2006 the away 2-1 win was with Haynes scoring, 2006-2007 at home (3-1) was, 07-08 2-2 away draw and 08-09 0-2 defeat was. Let's forget the rest
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:25 - Oct 6 with 2289 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:51 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Palace in 07/08 was on Sky as well.

I think most of the Norwich home games under Magilton (when we used to beat them) were televised.

2003/04
Stoke (h)
Wigan (h)

04/05
Wigan (h)

Was the televised Palace game home or away? They were both 1-0 wins I see. Maybe if I could see the scorer's in the data I'm looking at it would trigger my memory...
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:35 - Oct 6 with 2267 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:25 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Was the televised Palace game home or away? They were both 1-0 wins I see. Maybe if I could see the scorer's in the data I'm looking at it would trigger my memory...

Home. Walters header in the second half.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:45 - Oct 6 with 2260 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:58 - Oct 6 by PrideOfTheEast

No it wasn't.

Loads missed here though. Bowditch v Watford game was on sky wasn't it.

Has anybody mentioned beating Leeds 4-2 at home in 92? Sure that was on sky too.

I've been looking it up and found this:

So, what do we conclude from this? What is this clip taken from for starters? It's obviously something that's been put together years down the line (ie. look at the club badge)

Jon Champion never worked for Sky did he? Even then it doesn't necessarily offer an answer as to who broadcasted the game or indeed if it was live.

PS. The sound doesn't take long to go out of sync and do all kinds of weird stuff towards the end.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:46 - Oct 6 with 2251 viewsitfcjoe

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:45 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

I've been looking it up and found this:

So, what do we conclude from this? What is this clip taken from for starters? It's obviously something that's been put together years down the line (ie. look at the club badge)

Jon Champion never worked for Sky did he? Even then it doesn't necessarily offer an answer as to who broadcasted the game or indeed if it was live.

PS. The sound doesn't take long to go out of sync and do all kinds of weird stuff towards the end.

This game, I'm 99% certain, was the featured game on MOTD when they only used to feature 1 heavily each week - and not live at the time.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:47 - Oct 6 with 2244 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:18 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Would this have been in the Nigel Worthington Cup in 2001?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/newcastle-united-v-ipswich-town-27-november-2001-10

I'm not sure I was even aware it was on in that case.

Yes, pretty sure that was the case, although having had a look around the web and TWTD's archive can't find anything to back that up. Think it would have been difficult for people to watch it as so few pubs etc had the ITV box, which was why it all went awry, of course. There were reports of some matches being watched by more people actually at the game than on TV.
Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:52 - Oct 6 with 2228 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:01 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

Watford was, Leeds wasn't. It was a Saturday afternoon made even better by Norwich losing 7-1 at Blackburn.

Leeds at home was on tv the year after though, a dull 0-0 most notable for the pitch being a mess.

Also SWFC from 94/95 - Bontcho's penalty is still in orbit somewhere.

Would the Wednesday game have been the one at home or away?

I'm guessing at home seeing as the away game was the last match of the season.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:00 - Oct 6 with 2207 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:01 - Oct 6 by N2_Blue

What about Playoffs v West Ham...no one seems to have mentioned them. We played four legs in 2 seasons against them, some of those must have been on TV. I remember watching the 2-0 away on TV when we beat them 1-0 at home in 2003/2004

Yes, I think they probably all were shown live. I'll add all 4 to the list anyway unless someone can tell me different.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:02 - Oct 6 with 2200 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:46 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

This game, I'm 99% certain, was the featured game on MOTD when they only used to feature 1 heavily each week - and not live at the time.

I think that's right, I remember watching it on MOTD with my mate who supported Leeds when I was at university.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:05 - Oct 6 with 2188 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:02 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

I think that's right, I remember watching it on MOTD with my mate who supported Leeds when I was at university.

Who did he support when you left university?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:08 - Oct 6 with 2185 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:02 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

It was definitely on the Saturday.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:09 - Oct 6 with 2185 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:09 - Oct 6 by Mach_foreignBlue

A few games that spring to my mind that haven't been mentioned as yet.

01/02 home to Leeds 1-2
01/02 away to Aston Villa 1-2 on Monday night, Finidi scored from 25 yards
03/04 home to West Bromwich 2-3 where Lee Hughes was making gestures towards Town fans
03/04 away to Sheffield Utd 1-1, Friday night Westlake scored
04/05 home to Sunderland 2-2 draw, Marcus Stewat missed a pen for them
04/05 Wolves away 0-2
05/06 Cardiff away 1-2 Monday night, Juan scored from free-kick
Two 3-1 wins over QPR from Magilton times (one of them mentioned by Paul B)
07/08 home to Palace 1-0 Walters
10/11 home to Swansea 1-3 where D'Urso didn't give a penalty after the foul on Edwards
11/12 home to Coventry 3-0 on Monday night

Great memory there mate. Thanks.

Was the Leeds one where Veno scored two own goals? :(

Ah Jimmy Juan. Remember that game. I seem to recall Cameron Jerome diving to win a penalty in that game before Jason Koumas won it very late on. That was when they were still at Ninian Park.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:18 - Oct 6 with 2157 viewsLamby95

Beating Coventry away with a late own goal where the defender passed it back but the other side of where the keeper was. I think Bowditch chasing the defender done so 03/04 or 04/05

Also a recent on this day was us losing 2-1 to Cardiff at home under Jewell. I think this may have been Saturday evening and we conceded two goals from corners in injury time. I'm sure it was when Campbell scored with his hand possibly and after half time people had seen the replays and started the chant 'Dj Campbell he scores with his hand' which then changed to when he wants.

Edit: Don't think I've seen the home match against Newcastle when we renamed the north stand mentioned?

And was the Preston match when Nugent picked up Sito by the shirt after he was fouled right infront of the lino and only got a yellow?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:32]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:22 - Oct 6 with 2143 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 13:23 - Oct 6 by JakeITFC

Don't know if mentioned, but a 2-0 defeat at Sunderland was on Sky in 2004/05 - Daryl Knights only appearance for Ipswich.

I believe that Sunderland side was managed by a chap called McCarthy.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:24 - Oct 6 with 2130 viewsDarth_Koont

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:09 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Great memory there mate. Thanks.

Was the Leeds one where Veno scored two own goals? :(

Ah Jimmy Juan. Remember that game. I seem to recall Cameron Jerome diving to win a penalty in that game before Jason Koumas won it very late on. That was when they were still at Ninian Park.

Trying to think of the last time we scored a freekick like Juan's.

What's strange is that it's not just us. It happens an awful lot at a higher level but seem to be very few of those freekicks scored when you get down to the Championship.

I'd have thought it'd be more of a learnable skill. Even Shaun Maloney who is isn't the most skillful player has learnt how to do it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:27 - Oct 6 with 2120 viewsKilburnBlue

Others what have not been mentioned

When we beat reading 4-1 away early in the 1999/00 season where Naylor got two goals.

& early in the 1993 season where Dozzell equalised in the last minute when Lingham slipped in front of the north stand for Tottenham on his return

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:47]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:28 - Oct 6 with 2110 viewsJakeITFC

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:24 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

Trying to think of the last time we scored a freekick like Juan's.

What's strange is that it's not just us. It happens an awful lot at a higher level but seem to be very few of those freekicks scored when you get down to the Championship.

I'd have thought it'd be more of a learnable skill. Even Shaun Maloney who is isn't the most skillful player has learnt how to do it.

McGoldrick v Blackburn last season? Ben Marshall scored an absolute peach of a free kick for them as well if memory serves me correctly.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:31 - Oct 6 with 2080 viewsitfcjoe

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:28 - Oct 6 by JakeITFC

McGoldrick v Blackburn last season? Ben Marshall scored an absolute peach of a free kick for them as well if memory serves me correctly.

Bullard scored a couple when here as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:32 - Oct 6 with 2073 viewsDarth_Koont

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:28 - Oct 6 by JakeITFC

Good call. Don't know why I'd forgotten that one.

Pronouns: He/Him

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:37 - Oct 6 with 2052 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 15:24 - Oct 6 by mills

We were on Sky a lot in 2004-2005:

Brighton (a) final game of the season
Coventry (a) we won 2-1 (or 1-0) with a weird own goal winning for us
I imagine the Sunderland 2-2 home game was on Sky too.

2001-2002 I think our FA Cup defeat at home to Man City was shown, and 1998-1999 our home game against Walsall was too.

In the mid-2000s not all Norwich games were televised but 2005-2006 the away 2-1 win was with Haynes scoring, 2006-2007 at home (3-1) was, 07-08 2-2 away draw and 08-09 0-2 defeat was. Let's forget the rest

Some good stuff there, thanks.

I can't personally remember the Sunderland game and whether it was on TV or not. Can anyone remember?

This was it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4427955.stm

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it. I think it might have been. A late Bent equaliser should ring some bells.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:39]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:38 - Oct 6 with 2046 viewsSteve_M

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:37 - Oct 6 by Paul_B

Some good stuff there, thanks.

I can't personally remember the Sunderland game and whether it was on TV or not. Can anyone remember?

This was it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4427955.stm

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it. I think it might have been. A late Bent equaliser should ring some bells.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:39]

It was on Sunday lunchtime, so yes.

Also in 04-05 Millwall (h) at the start of the season.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:42 - Oct 6 with 2033 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:38 - Oct 6 by Steve_M

It was on Sunday lunchtime, so yes.

Also in 04-05 Millwall (h) at the start of the season.

Yep, I should have actually looked at the time and date having made the effort to retrieve the article. Thanks.

My revised list is almost there but a pesky few keep posting up more matches to add. :P
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 16:42 - Oct 6 with 2028 viewsKilburnBlue

Apart from the Cup final in 1978 have we won a FA Cup game since?

1988 (H) Manchester United lost 2-1
1992 (H) Liverpool Drew 0-0
1992 (A) Liverpool Lost 3-2 after extra time
1994 (H) Wolves lost 2-1
2000 (H) Southampton lost 1-0
2002 (H) Manchester City lost 4-1
2015 (H) Southmpton lost 1-0
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 16:43]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024