Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... 08:17 - Jan 4 with 13900 viewsitfcjoe

....at the very latest you really have to question the club.

Obviously still 10 days to do it - but there should have been someone lined up on January 1st ready to sign on the dotted line.

We were allegedly bidding 7 figure fees for strikers at the end of the window, and now have had 4 months to get something sorted and bar a couple of links there is nothing happening it seems.

Admittedly Mick tends to play transfer dealings close to his chest, but as each day passes it becomes more and more frustrating for the supporters who can see that we need one desperately.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:22 - Jan 4 with 4054 viewsmaccyd9

We are notoriously sluggish in the market.

The reasoning will be that other teams won't commit etc, but buying players from the lower league (if the plan is to be believed) should be fairly straightforward. I accept you may well get competition but League 1/League 2 sides cannot rebuff sensible and serious offers from higher placed sides.

Obviously sensible and serious offers don't often seem to be our strong point.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:24 - Jan 4 with 4038 viewsitfcjoe

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:22 - Jan 4 by maccyd9

The reasoning will be that other teams won't commit etc, but buying players from the lower league (if the plan is to be believed) should be fairly straightforward. I accept you may well get competition but League 1/League 2 sides cannot rebuff sensible and serious offers from higher placed sides.

We seem to be that person who has bought a house at a knockdown price but holds everyone up in any chain because they want top whack for their current house still even though the market is flat until the whole deal falls out of bed.

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:25 - Jan 4 with 4027 viewstaximan

we are competing against sides that have ambition

a million will not buy much these days
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:35 - Jan 4 with 3993 viewspowinswitch

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:25 - Jan 4 by taximan

we are competing against sides that have ambition

a million will not buy much these days

One thing I have liked since McCarthy took over is our transfer dealings. First we know of any deal has been more or less when the player is having his medical. He has also got some good players in, and must have made a significant amount on his transfer dealings. Yes there have been some poor ones, but they have tended to be on low wages and have been a gamble. For Tyrone Mings, you are entitled to a lot of balint banners, and malarcyks. They are considered gambles that didn't come off, while mings did - spectacularly.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:38 - Jan 4 with 3975 viewsKieran_Knows

I get the impression Woodrow is one of our top targets .... perhaps club trying to sign him permanently with Fulham only wanting to let him go out on loan?

I imagine if we are interested in Ward, that one will go on throughout the whole window ... Derby's interest may hinge on them getting Martin back, and Huddersfield's interest may hinge on whether they sign the 1 or 2 of the German strikers they have been linked with.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:39 - Jan 4 with 3963 viewstaximan

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:35 - Jan 4 by powinswitch

One thing I have liked since McCarthy took over is our transfer dealings. First we know of any deal has been more or less when the player is having his medical. He has also got some good players in, and must have made a significant amount on his transfer dealings. Yes there have been some poor ones, but they have tended to be on low wages and have been a gamble. For Tyrone Mings, you are entitled to a lot of balint banners, and malarcyks. They are considered gambles that didn't come off, while mings did - spectacularly.

do you not think that strikers go for a lot more money than any other position ?

you are deluded if you think that mm is going to find a 20 goal per season championship striker for pennies
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:44 - Jan 4 with 3917 viewsBluebell

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:24 - Jan 4 by itfcjoe

We seem to be that person who has bought a house at a knockdown price but holds everyone up in any chain because they want top whack for their current house still even though the market is flat until the whole deal falls out of bed.

Or that other teams are Harrods and we are Poundland!
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:44 - Jan 4 with 3917 viewspowinswitch

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:39 - Jan 4 by taximan

do you not think that strikers go for a lot more money than any other position ?

you are deluded if you think that mm is going to find a 20 goal per season championship striker for pennies

I don't think that's what I was commenting about. I have a number of issues with McCarthy on tactics, selection and the standard of football offered. But his transfer dealings have been a plus. Do you think the squad now is better or worse than what he took over. I think it's better, and less reliant on loanees. It's his deployment of the resources available that I question.
I am not deluded. You might like to reflect on how hard it is to find a 20 goal a season player. And then consider who our last one was, and how much he cost. Money is not the only answer. Look at wolfswinkle up the road.
Login to get fewer ads

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:45 - Jan 4 with 3909 viewsStenvict

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:39 - Jan 4 by taximan

Like Murphy?

Poll: What will be announced first?

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:46 - Jan 4 with 3906 viewsmaccyd9

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:35 - Jan 4 by powinswitch

In fairness for all the things that people do leverage at him, his transfer dealings on the whole have been sound.

I think the issue is Evans. Mick has clearly said that he has given Evans as list so it rests on Evans to make them happen. Which of course we know he is not particularly willing to or adept at.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:51 - Jan 4 with 3861 viewstaximan

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:45 - Jan 4 by Stenvict

Like Murphy?

how many years ago was that ??

the transfer market has become much richer over the last few years

but i'm guessing you know this but just fancy an argument
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:52 - Jan 4 with 3857 viewsitfcjoe

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:51 - Jan 4 by taximan

how many years ago was that ??

the transfer market has become much richer over the last few years

but i'm guessing you know this but just fancy an argument

And also, that wasn't in January

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:53 - Jan 4 with 3836 viewstaximan

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:52 - Jan 4 by itfcjoe

And also, that wasn't in January

which makes the summer dealings all the more ridiculous
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:59 - Jan 4 with 3801 viewstextbackup

Mate this is the first transfer window I genuinely couldn't give a fck who or if we sign anyone. Season is dead. I fully expect a loan of a championship squad player, that's about all. Not a penny will be spent on a transfer fee

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:00 - Jan 4 with 3776 viewstaximan

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:59 - Jan 4 by textbackup

Mate this is the first transfer window I genuinely couldn't give a fck who or if we sign anyone. Season is dead. I fully expect a loan of a championship squad player, that's about all. Not a penny will be spent on a transfer fee

tricky time to sign players and all that
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:01 - Jan 4 with 3774 viewsSomethingBlue

I broadly agree although the caveat is, I guess, that we're not going to go either up or down this season so might as well be 100% sure we've got a player who can take us forward for the next couple of years.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:03 - Jan 4 with 3761 viewsBarneycurley

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:59 - Jan 4 by textbackup

I agree. I hope money doesn't get wasted. Second point is i guarantee it will be left until last minute and the same old lines will get trawled. But i hope they do as it will mean mcarthy hasn't wasted any of the few crumbs his mate Marcus has cast in his direction.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:06 - Jan 4 with 3737 viewspowinswitch

Just to return to this again. Since we paid a large, but ultimately bargain fee for Marcus Stewart, three other players have scored 20 goals in a season for the Towen. Pablo, Shefki and Murph. I believe that all three were frees.
Please don't call me deluded. Partly because what you called me deluded for, was not what I commented on. But also because I have just highlighted that your claim that spending is the answer, is not necessarily correct. Would you like me to give you some examples of high cost flops across the various leagues. More wolfswinkles.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... (n/t) on 09:10 - Jan 4 with 3707 viewstaximan

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:06 - Jan 4 by powinswitch

Just to return to this again. Since we paid a large, but ultimately bargain fee for Marcus Stewart, three other players have scored 20 goals in a season for the Towen. Pablo, Shefki and Murph. I believe that all three were frees.
Please don't call me deluded. Partly because what you called me deluded for, was not what I commented on. But also because I have just highlighted that your claim that spending is the answer, is not necessarily correct. Would you like me to give you some examples of high cost flops across the various leagues. More wolfswinkles.

do you not think the transfer market has changed in recent times
rather than a history lesson, give examples of strikers that have been a success recently that have cost pennies
spending money does not guarantee success
not spending money guarantees failure

i'm off to southampton
have a great day
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 9:13]
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:12 - Jan 4 with 3697 viewsRadlett_blue

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 08:22 - Jan 4 by maccyd9

you're right in principle. We may be trying to do our business early for once, but the selling club may well think they can get a better offer from elsewhere & the player's agent may think someone else will offer the player a better contract.
I'm sure we will bring in a striker; hopefully, it will be an upgrade on Best.
The real worry is if someone comes in with a decent offer for one of our players right at the end of the window as we'll have no time to get a replacement & no "emergency" loans.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:13 - Jan 4 with 3673 viewspeterleeblue

The Season is dead you are quite right. It is frustrating. Does that mean however that we have half a season to blood youngsters and take a punt on some lower league forward who may be the next Murphy? Clutching at Straws I know but we have to get something positive out of the next 4-5 months.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:13 - Jan 4 with 3678 viewsGuthrum

I'm coming round to the thought that, now Pitman's back, a striker may not be our absolute highest priority. Improving the supply chain and strengthening the defence may be more of an issue.

Another central midfielder to provide an alternative to the Bru/Douglas/Dozzell (inconsistent/immobile/inexperienced) conundrum in that position - or another left winger to allow Lawrence to move into the middle as an option.

Can we improve upon Berra at CB, Smith being long-term injured? I don't like to criticise him too much, but with the young Webster alongside also having something of a licence to go forward, it's become a very busy role (plus now is the time to look at succession planning).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:21 - Jan 4 with 3614 viewsRadlett_blue

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:13 - Jan 4 by peterleeblue

The Season is dead you are quite right. It is frustrating. Does that mean however that we have half a season to blood youngsters and take a punt on some lower league forward who may be the next Murphy? Clutching at Straws I know but we have to get something positive out of the next 4-5 months.

If we started playing Emmanuel & Kenlock regularly, I'd feel much more positive as there would be evidence we were trying to build something & both of them want to receive & use the ball so the football should be better.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... (n/t) on 09:21 - Jan 4 with 3613 viewspowinswitch

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... (n/t) on 09:10 - Jan 4 by taximan

do you not think the transfer market has changed in recent times
rather than a history lesson, give examples of strikers that have been a success recently that have cost pennies
spending money does not guarantee success
not spending money guarantees failure

i'm off to southampton
have a great day
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 9:13]

The transfer market evolves all the time. But not spending money does not guarantee failure. That was not a history lesson, it was very real examples of how our last 3 20 goal a season players did not cost a penny. You can spin it how you want, but you are not necessarily correct. I think your issue is that you think the only answer is to spend money. I don't agree. It might make it easier, but it's not the only way. Enjoy Southampton. See if you can find a Bale, Lallana or Luke Shaw while you're down there.
If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:24 - Jan 4 with 3586 viewsSteve_M

If we haven't managed to sign a striker by the Blackburn game.... on 09:13 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

I'm coming round to the thought that, now Pitman's back, a striker may not be our absolute highest priority. Improving the supply chain and strengthening the defence may be more of an issue.

Another central midfielder to provide an alternative to the Bru/Douglas/Dozzell (inconsistent/immobile/inexperienced) conundrum in that position - or another left winger to allow Lawrence to move into the middle as an option.

Can we improve upon Berra at CB, Smith being long-term injured? I don't like to criticise him too much, but with the young Webster alongside also having something of a licence to go forward, it's become a very busy role (plus now is the time to look at succession planning).

A striker is still very important. Pitman and McGoldrick both like to drop deeper and play off a striker. I don't think they make a great partnership either despite the abundant skill both have.

Someone like Tunnicliffe to add energy to central midfield whilst also being able to use the ball would be good as well.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024