Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this 10:20 - Jan 9 with 1136 viewsHeathlander

We were playing a neat, crisp passing game akin to what fans have seen all season. The beauty in what the Cowley brothers do is they don’t change their approach in terms of set up and our route to goal, but they still change subtle things dependent on the opposition. Many managers make the mistake of shuffling their pack and formation to suit the opponents, but that can lead to uncertainty in the teams organisation. We change the things we do, but not how we attack and play our game. For instance we clearly stopped their keeper bowling it out to the defenders, forcing him to kick it. He was a bit suspect and his kicking meant we had a ball to contest, and in the air you’d back Raggett or Waterfall all day long.
From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:21 - Jan 9 with 1105 viewsHeathlander

The fact even our energetic full back found space on the right against so-called top opposition shows how appallingly bad the Ipswich left back was. I’ve seen better left backs at Sincil Bank this year playing for part-time teams, and I’m told he is a Danish international!
From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:26 - Jan 9 with 1079 viewscaught-in-limbo

Do our keepers ever bowl the ball out to our defenders? If they do, don't our defenders just hoof it up field anyway? Did the mighty Lincoln force Gerken or our defence to do anything different?
[Post edited 9 Jan 2017 10:27]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:27 - Jan 9 with 1060 viewsHeathlander

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:26 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

Do our keepers ever bowl the ball out to our defenders? If they do, don't our defenders just hoof it up field anyway? Did the mighty Lincoln force Gerken or our defence to do anything different?

It was more about not changing what you do well to suit the opposition. Worry about yourselves first.
From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:29 - Jan 9 with 1045 viewscaught-in-limbo

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:27 - Jan 9 by Heathlander

It was more about not changing what you do well to suit the opposition. Worry about yourselves first.

I appreciate that, but I'm interested to know if we normally make some effort to play the ball out of defence, rather than just hoofing it.

#toxic

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:30 - Jan 9 with 1042 viewsitfcjoe

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:26 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

2 or 3 times he quickly rolled or threw it out and it put us under instant pressure. One time we lost the ball and conceded a chance - another time it went to bru who just about had time to take a touch and knock it down line with outside of his boot to no-one to avoid being robbed at edge of area.

Then Gerken kicked it out of play twice

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:35 - Jan 9 with 1007 viewscaught-in-limbo

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 10:30 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

2 or 3 times he quickly rolled or threw it out and it put us under instant pressure. One time we lost the ball and conceded a chance - another time it went to bru who just about had time to take a touch and knock it down line with outside of his boot to no-one to avoid being robbed at edge of area.

Then Gerken kicked it out of play twice

Sounds like total football.

Jewell would have said we're still gelling.

#toxic

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:35 - Jan 9 with 1009 viewsBloots

...it to the defenders too often.

The full backs were trying to play the ball out of defence, but were either closed down or were playing it into the midfield and just immediately getting it back.

I've never seen a midfielder so keen to give the ball back to his defence as Bru.

They say that decent midfielders always receive the ball on the half turn and Bru certainly does that, his problem s that his half turn is always facing the centre backs.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:38 - Jan 9 with 992 viewscaught-in-limbo

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:35 - Jan 9 by Bloots

The full backs were trying to play the ball out of defence, but were either closed down or were playing it into the midfield and just immediately getting it back.

I've never seen a midfielder so keen to give the ball back to his defence as Bru.

They say that decent midfielders always receive the ball on the half turn and Bru certainly does that, his problem s that his half turn is always facing the centre backs.

Interesting, thanks. Are we normally better against less tenacious Championship opposition?

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:40 - Jan 9 with 979 viewsLankHenners

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:35 - Jan 9 by Bloots

Bru was 50/50 in terms of doing something progressive with the ball and giving it away, although, like everyone else, he wasn't helped out by his teammates that much.

Bart tries to throw the ball out quite a bit, but the problem is Webster's the only one good enough on the ball to make the most of it. The others often just tonk it down the line or in Knudsen's case, out of touch, and we concede possession anyway.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We are rarely better against..... on 10:41 - Jan 9 with 958 viewsBloots

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:38 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

Interesting, thanks. Are we normally better against less tenacious Championship opposition?

....anyone at the moment.

Although there was undoubtedly a degree of adrenaline running through the Lincoln players, that made them chase down everything.

The talk on here about them playing "crisp passing football" is a little wide of the mark in my opinion.

They were just well drilled and chased everything. Just like a MM team should, and used to be.

Their main tactic really was to punt it up to the fat bald bloke they had up front.

One thing I have noticed recently..... on 10:45 - Jan 9 with 913 viewsBloots

If anything Gerken was rolling..... on 10:40 - Jan 9 by LankHenners

Bru was 50/50 in terms of doing something progressive with the ball and giving it away, although, like everyone else, he wasn't helped out by his teammates that much.

Bart tries to throw the ball out quite a bit, but the problem is Webster's the only one good enough on the ball to make the most of it. The others often just tonk it down the line or in Knudsen's case, out of touch, and we concede possession anyway.

....and I don't know if this has always been the case, or if it's just recently, is how often our players simply pass the ball straight back to the player who's given it to them.

We are talking about 5-10 yard passes here.

It's either a lack of confidence leading to them just wanting to get rid of the ball, or a total lack of movement.

Either way it leads to really turgid, non expansive football.

Just saying.

One thing I have noticed recently..... on 10:55 - Jan 9 with 864 viewsLankHenners

One thing I have noticed recently..... on 10:45 - Jan 9 by Bloots

....and I don't know if this has always been the case, or if it's just recently, is how often our players simply pass the ball straight back to the player who's given it to them.

We are talking about 5-10 yard passes here.

It's either a lack of confidence leading to them just wanting to get rid of the ball, or a total lack of movement.

Either way it leads to really turgid, non expansive football.

Just saying.

There's a crippling lack of confidence running through the whole squad from back to front. Defenders resorting to punting it down the field quite quickly, midfielders rarely making incisive forward passes, wingers (barring Lawrence) hesitant to take their man on, strikers not taking chances.

Sears, for example, took an absolute age to control the ball when it was played to him on Saturday, and that's been the case with him for a while now - bring shunted out wide, whilst not "ruining" him as some claim, has certainly shredded his confidence.

We're often very static now without Murphy there to hold the ball up and let others move off around him.

Comes back to their being no really strong characters on the pitch - Chambers was one but he's let the constant criticism and vitriol get to him and doesn't have that same impact anymore. There's no-one out there on the pitch to really rally the players up and get them going. They all look frightened of making a mistake so play it safe, play the percentages, and we don't look good at doing that half the time.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

From a Lincoln blog on the game - We could learn from this on 11:21 - Jan 9 with 790 viewssoupytwist

What strikes me about the whole situation is that we have a manager who has managed many hundreds of professional games and he's not able to put together a team from our squad that can beat a team put together by two blokes who less than two years ago were still part time PE teachers and have never managed any higher than the Conference.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024