Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Murmurings of discontent 09:03 - Jan 14 with 5072 viewsHerbivore

The most recent interviews with Chambo and Mick are certainly interesting. Although they've not outright said it there's a lot of veiled criticism of ME. Mick has made it clear that ME handles the contracts and has suggested that he wants Chambo to stay and it's clear Chambo is a frustrated figure at the moment. The lack of depth and quality in the squad is clearly grating on them both as well. I think this is the closest I've seen to public criticism of the owner, even with them putting qualifications and caveats in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Murmurings of discontent on 09:06 - Jan 14 with 2990 viewsMullet

Also interesting to consider both are looking at it in terms of their own futures, especially financially. You can see Chambers clearly hasn't been offered what he thinks he's worth or else he'd have signed. So I wonder just far apart they are?

I do think we'll see someone next week though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Murmurings of discontent on 09:08 - Jan 14 with 2984 viewspowinswitch

He invests £7 million a year. What do you think we need? £8 milion. £16 million. More? What I need is to watch a team that want to get the ball down and play football. I last saw that at Portman Road last Saturday. They were called Lincoln City, and should have beaten us. As should Portsmouth last year, well they did after a replay. What is their budget?

It's not money we need. It's football. On the floor.
Murmurings of discontent on 09:09 - Jan 14 with 2952 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 09:06 - Jan 14 by Mullet

Also interesting to consider both are looking at it in terms of their own futures, especially financially. You can see Chambers clearly hasn't been offered what he thinks he's worth or else he'd have signed. So I wonder just far apart they are?

I do think we'll see someone next week though.

I hope so, although from what Chambo has said it seems he hasn't been offered anything at all at this stage, not even us taking up the option of another 12 months. Very shoddy way to treat a captain who has given us good service.

Murmurings of discontent on 09:10 - Jan 14 with 2938 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 09:08 - Jan 14 by powinswitch

He invests £7 million a year. What do you think we need? £8 milion. £16 million. More? What I need is to watch a team that want to get the ball down and play football. I last saw that at Portman Road last Saturday. They were called Lincoln City, and should have beaten us. As should Portsmouth last year, well they did after a replay. What is their budget?

We've been playing on the floor a lot more this season so it's odd that this is the thing you're most angry about.

Murmurings of discontent on 09:11 - Jan 14 with 2927 viewsDebenBlue

Murmurings of discontent on 09:09 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I hope so, although from what Chambo has said it seems he hasn't been offered anything at all at this stage, not even us taking up the option of another 12 months. Very shoddy way to treat a captain who has given us good service.

Spot on !!
Murmurings of discontent on 09:13 - Jan 14 with 2903 viewstaximan

without significant investment, well above the reported 6 million per season, we will not afford better players, without better players we will continue to stagnate in the championship.
Murmurings of discontent on 09:18 - Jan 14 with 2859 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 09:10 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

We've been playing on the floor a lot more this season so it's odd that this is the thing you're most angry about.

I agree we have got it on the floor more. But the football has been poor. Not sure of the detail, but I bet our passing statistics have been amongst the weakest in the league. In 12 matches after the opening game we scored 4 goals in 12 games. The football has been negative.
Murmurings of discontent on 09:22 - Jan 14 with 2823 viewspowinswitch

Murmurings of discontent on 09:13 - Jan 14 by taximan

without significant investment, well above the reported 6 million per season, we will not afford better players, without better players we will continue to stagnate in the championship.

Possibly true. At the moment my major issue is the football philosophy. We have set up too often during 2016 to not lose. 25 goals in 25 games, with 10 of those in 3 (Barnsley, QPR and Wigan). So 12 goals in 22 games. Games where we have not had a shot until the 65th minute.
Login to get fewer ads

Murmurings of discontent on 09:23 - Jan 14 with 2815 viewsStokieBlue

A bit more yes and I think everyone is glad of that.

However the most common ball is still the launched ball out of the back four looking for a knockdown.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Murmurings of discontent on 09:28 - Jan 14 with 2763 viewsRonFearonsHair

I am happier seeing out players play 15 yards passes to each other in space than launch it 50 yards and chase it. However, what is frustrating is that the player receiving the ball seems to take 2 or 3 touches to control it. By which time they have had to turn back towards our goal so as not to lose it. Invariably, it then gets played back to a defender. The process is then either repeated or we revert back to launching the ball again and losing possession. Game after game this has been happening. They seem to really struggle with the basics sometimes and it perplexes me.
Murmurings of discontent on 09:53 - Jan 14 with 2647 viewsFtnfwest

Apart from years when a large transfer fee has made the investment for him, or at least reduced his input. The attempt to play a more expansive game this season is tokenism under this coach though. Chambers, Berra, Knudsen, Douglas and Varney when he was here are more geared for long ball and of course that's primarily defensive panic in launching those aimless hoofs when under the slightest pressure. Skuglas or at least Skuse could play a more passing style but they are purely set up to stop the opposition, any opposition, once we've hoofed it away.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:02 - Jan 14 with 2592 viewsArcher4721

Murmurings of discontent on 09:09 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

How can you give out contracts half way through a season not knowing which league we will be in next season.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:09 - Jan 14 with 2568 viewsLankHenners

Murmurings of discontent on 09:23 - Jan 14 by StokieBlue

A bit more yes and I think everyone is glad of that.

However the most common ball is still the launched ball out of the back four looking for a knockdown.

SB

Every team needs a focal point, someone to occupy defenders and create space for others whilst keeping the ball in the opponent's half. We had one of the best in the division at doing that and we sold him with no replacement lined up, so every time we need to go more direct we've got no-one to really keep it up there, and Sears has lost so much confidence that when we play it beyond the line of defence for him to run on to he takes an age to control it and can't make a good decision to save his life at the moment poor lad.

We were never going to go from a more direct style to an "on the floor" style straight away, but I think everyone would have liked to have seen a bit more progress in that respect this year. However, without that focal point and a consistent midfielder who can link the play from back to front we're going to find it hard to do so. Hence why Mick has found it very hard to get the balance between attack and defence right all season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Murmurings of discontent on 10:13 - Jan 14 with 2551 viewsbraveblue

Please explain £7m investment. Are you confusing a paper Lisa with cash? It's nothing like that and even less in past two years with transfer fees in.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:13 - Jan 14 with 2546 viewsElderGrizzly

Murmurings of discontent on 10:02 - Jan 14 by Archer4721

How can you give out contracts half way through a season not knowing which league we will be in next season.

And who your manager will be. Mick calls the shots on contracts and who gets them, not Evans.

There is more to the story than is being let on too.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:22 - Jan 14 with 2512 viewsitfcjoe

Murmurings of discontent on 10:02 - Jan 14 by Archer4721

They have set rates built in for promotion and relegation

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Murmurings of discontent on 10:25 - Jan 14 with 2483 viewsBenters

Lovely and if i could you would get 1000 arrows from me !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Murmurings of discontent on 10:29 - Jan 14 with 2426 viewsNo9

True, Town have kept the ball down but the successful pass rate is appalling particularly forward from midfield which, is why the front men are not getting any opportunities.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:30 - Jan 14 with 2414 viewsArcher4721

Murmurings of discontent on 10:22 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

Since when?

Shame Mr Sheepshanks didn't do that.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:34 - Jan 14 with 2383 viewsNo9

Murmurings of discontent on 10:22 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

So anyone negotiating now could be offered a £ Million a week if town are in the PL next season or 25 quid a week if town are in the next division down ?
Murmurings of discontent on 10:42 - Jan 14 with 2324 viewsjas0999

Both very clearly made the point it's in the hands of sevens. Essentially the reason for no contract discussions and signings is down to Marcus Evans. This isn't a surprise.
Murmurings of discontent on 10:44 - Jan 14 with 2307 viewsitfcjoe

Murmurings of discontent on 10:30 - Jan 14 by Archer4721

Since when?

Shame Mr Sheepshanks didn't do that.

At least the last 3 years - for most (give or take a bit) wages double if promoted and are cut to about 60% if relegated.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Murmurings of discontent on 10:47 - Jan 14 with 2278 viewsArcher4721

Murmurings of discontent on 10:44 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

At least the last 3 years - for most (give or take a bit) wages double if promoted and are cut to about 60% if relegated.

No wonder we can't sign anyone then.

Footballers very rarely take up these contracts.
Murmurings of discontent on 11:15 - Jan 14 with 2175 viewsKeaneish

Murmurings of discontent on 10:13 - Jan 14 by braveblue

Please explain £7m investment. Are you confusing a paper Lisa with cash? It's nothing like that and even less in past two years with transfer fees in.

Agreed, plus he paid 1.4 million back into one of his other holding companies from the looks of the financial report. I've no doubt ME has put a substantial figure in but i have no doubt he's shrewdly making money from it somewhere, somehow.

The next two-weeks are going to be highly interesting. If they're going to uphold MM's contract for another 18 months, he needs to be backed, its as simple as that and he needs to be backed with 3 or 4 good signings, a mixture of experience and promise and this isn't going to come cheap. MM's done all he can, i think he's largely out of ideas and the current squad isn't responding in the way it might of used to. The only answer left is investment, surely?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Murmurings of discontent on 11:58 - Jan 14 with 2080 viewsHerbivore

Murmurings of discontent on 09:28 - Jan 14 by RonFearonsHair

I am happier seeing out players play 15 yards passes to each other in space than launch it 50 yards and chase it. However, what is frustrating is that the player receiving the ball seems to take 2 or 3 touches to control it. By which time they have had to turn back towards our goal so as not to lose it. Invariably, it then gets played back to a defender. The process is then either repeated or we revert back to launching the ball again and losing possession. Game after game this has been happening. They seem to really struggle with the basics sometimes and it perplexes me.

Have you considered that the players might be massively lacking in confidence from not being able to string two wins together and playing in a toxic atmosphere at home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024