Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blimey - this says a lot about our society... 08:53 - Jan 16 with 5529 viewsbluelagos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38613488?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 22:09 - Jan 16 with 753 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 20:18 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Save it for another time Glassers - enjoy your night out.

Fwiw point 1 Smoke and mirrors ...if you 'own' a $500 smart phone and a TV and even a cooker on credit (rent) and you can't afford to eat then yes you are poor (Even in America ) and what's more in your poverty you are adding to the wealth of those sweet kind philanthropists !
Simply look at the Wikipedia opening paragraph on the Institute for Economic Affairs to see which song they (and I suspect you ) are singing .
So do you take issue with the wider points I have made regarding the illusory wealth of GDP perpetual debt based growth ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 22:23 - Jan 16 with 741 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 20:18 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Save it for another time Glassers - enjoy your night out.

Point 3 ... I suspect that most of the globally poor 35 to 39 year olds will find that they are still poor when they die in their 50's ... even if Modi and his like succeed in introducing cash free (yippee....digital debt) economies !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:40 - Jan 17 with 698 viewsGlasgowBlue

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 19:24 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Posted in wrong place: Supposed to be for Glassers:
--------------

May I?

Point 5: Oxfam — a development charity — is now obsessed with the rich rather than the poor

This is utter bollx. They deliver projects all over the world focused very clearly on assisting the poor.

Point 6) At home and abroad, Oxfam is now like a one-club golfer: more government is always the answer.

More utter bollox.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 19:26]

Lagos. Regarding point 5. For the past few years OXFAM UK's focus has been very much away from focusing on poverty and onto inequality.

This is a very unbiased, and somewhat sympathetic article on OFAM's recent focus.

http://www.pagefield.co.uk/insight/behind-the-headlines-oxfams-economy-for-the-1

"Oxfam have long been held up as the doyen of the charity sector in tackling issues of global poverty. Their work has, of course, been notable throughout the world but has been fundamental in tackling issues of hunger in some of the poorest parts of Africa and they remain one of the go-to bodies for policymakers looking for solutions to one of the world’s biggest challenges: how do we feed a growing population?

However, in recent years Oxfam has turned its focus away from fund-raising and raising awareness of poverty and hunger around the world and has instead begun to shine a light on what it perceives to be a growing inequality between the richest and the poorest."

this is an undeniable fact.

Point 6. Unfortunately OXFAM UK has allowed itself to become the third sector wing of the UK Labour party and follows it's "more government" way of thinking to the letter. It's no coincidence that there statement on wealth inequality was issued at the same time as Jeremy Corbyn's statement on the same issue.

Now there is nothing wrong with wanting more government. I happen to disagree but dismiss this view as utter bollox is naive.

Some background: Oxfam’s policy director Richard Pyle is a Labour supporter supports LGBT Labour several Labour candidates, MPs and MEPs. Oxfam’s treasurer David Pitt-Watson was Labour’s Finance Director for two years and was also appointed General Secretary of the party.

OXFAM UK was censured by The Charity Commission just a couple of years ago for being politically biased when they launched a campaign which was identical to that of Ed Miliband.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:11 - Jan 17 with 680 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:40 - Jan 17 by GlasgowBlue

Lagos. Regarding point 5. For the past few years OXFAM UK's focus has been very much away from focusing on poverty and onto inequality.

This is a very unbiased, and somewhat sympathetic article on OFAM's recent focus.

http://www.pagefield.co.uk/insight/behind-the-headlines-oxfams-economy-for-the-1

"Oxfam have long been held up as the doyen of the charity sector in tackling issues of global poverty. Their work has, of course, been notable throughout the world but has been fundamental in tackling issues of hunger in some of the poorest parts of Africa and they remain one of the go-to bodies for policymakers looking for solutions to one of the world’s biggest challenges: how do we feed a growing population?

However, in recent years Oxfam has turned its focus away from fund-raising and raising awareness of poverty and hunger around the world and has instead begun to shine a light on what it perceives to be a growing inequality between the richest and the poorest."

this is an undeniable fact.

Point 6. Unfortunately OXFAM UK has allowed itself to become the third sector wing of the UK Labour party and follows it's "more government" way of thinking to the letter. It's no coincidence that there statement on wealth inequality was issued at the same time as Jeremy Corbyn's statement on the same issue.

Now there is nothing wrong with wanting more government. I happen to disagree but dismiss this view as utter bollox is naive.

Some background: Oxfam’s policy director Richard Pyle is a Labour supporter supports LGBT Labour several Labour candidates, MPs and MEPs. Oxfam’s treasurer David Pitt-Watson was Labour’s Finance Director for two years and was also appointed General Secretary of the party.

OXFAM UK was censured by The Charity Commission just a couple of years ago for being politically biased when they launched a campaign which was identical to that of Ed Miliband.

When I worked for a humanitarian organisation in Liberia, there were 3 distinct areas of work (Think this applies to all of them tbh)

Emergency aid (Response to the famine / earthquake)
International Development (Bit I was in - helping communities improve their lives)
Advocacy

Now it is pretty clear that you (and others) have an issue with the advocacy role that Oxfam have had in the past few years. And it seems they have become more political and indeed may (or may not) have an agenda and close ties to the Labour party.

My point is really simple, advocacy is about 5% of what a typical humanitarian organisation actually does. It may feel like way more (cos it's the bits that hit the UK media) but it really is a very small part of what they do.

So for anyone to claim that "Oxfam — a development charity — is now obsessed with the rich rather than the poor." is quite simply talking a load of bollox. They continue to work in emergency aid and development and whilst their advocacy may not to be to yours (or IEAs) taste, it is wrong simply wrong to paint them as the IEA has.

If they state that Oxfam's communications have become political / misofcused....no problem. But they don't. They made ill informed generalised comments that don't stand up.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:15 - Jan 17 with 675 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:11 - Jan 17 by bluelagos

When I worked for a humanitarian organisation in Liberia, there were 3 distinct areas of work (Think this applies to all of them tbh)

Emergency aid (Response to the famine / earthquake)
International Development (Bit I was in - helping communities improve their lives)
Advocacy

Now it is pretty clear that you (and others) have an issue with the advocacy role that Oxfam have had in the past few years. And it seems they have become more political and indeed may (or may not) have an agenda and close ties to the Labour party.

My point is really simple, advocacy is about 5% of what a typical humanitarian organisation actually does. It may feel like way more (cos it's the bits that hit the UK media) but it really is a very small part of what they do.

So for anyone to claim that "Oxfam — a development charity — is now obsessed with the rich rather than the poor." is quite simply talking a load of bollox. They continue to work in emergency aid and development and whilst their advocacy may not to be to yours (or IEAs) taste, it is wrong simply wrong to paint them as the IEA has.

If they state that Oxfam's communications have become political / misofcused....no problem. But they don't. They made ill informed generalised comments that don't stand up.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/?pscid=ps_msn_01-Brand-High+Vol&utm_source=bing&utm_medi

Hope the link works - Oxfam's front page. Lots of references to poverty. Can't see one jumping out at me about inequality.

Also - you can see the (audited) figures on where money goes. 3% of advocacy. It really is a small (if challengable) part of their work.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024