Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blimey - this says a lot about our society... 08:53 - Jan 16 with 5573 viewsbluelagos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38613488?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:02 - Jan 16 with 3152 viewsKeno

maybe one of them would like to donate some money to a poor little east anglian football club?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:17 - Jan 16 with 3115 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:02 - Jan 16 by Keno

maybe one of them would like to donate some money to a poor little east anglian football club?

Problem is, with the egos of these guys, they'd probably want to splash their names all over our shirts.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:18 - Jan 16 with 3104 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:17 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Problem is, with the egos of these guys, they'd probably want to splash their names all over our shirts.

and have it all round the stadium!!

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:51 - Jan 16 with 3058 viewsfactual_blue

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:02 - Jan 16 by Keno

Well, seeing as you're ninth on the list.........

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:54 - Jan 16 with 3040 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 09:51 - Jan 16 by factual_blue

Well, seeing as you're ninth on the list.........

Marcus turned my offer down as he didn't think PR should be renamed the 'We Love Factual Blue Theatre of Footballing Excellence'

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:13 - Jan 16 with 3001 viewsStokieBlue

Very saddening but I don't think it's the fault of the 8 though. For instance, Bloomberg started with nothing and built up a massive data company which he still owns and never floated on the markets to take quick profits like Zuckerberg.

Gates and buffet have already committed to giving away more than 99% of their wealth when they die and run a charity together. Buffet started with little and still lives in the little house he has for about the just 50 years with his wife.

What would be the solution? I agree nobody needs that much money but not sure it's right to just redistribute it against their will either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:30 - Jan 16 with 2969 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:13 - Jan 16 by StokieBlue

Very saddening but I don't think it's the fault of the 8 though. For instance, Bloomberg started with nothing and built up a massive data company which he still owns and never floated on the markets to take quick profits like Zuckerberg.

Gates and buffet have already committed to giving away more than 99% of their wealth when they die and run a charity together. Buffet started with little and still lives in the little house he has for about the just 50 years with his wife.

What would be the solution? I agree nobody needs that much money but not sure it's right to just redistribute it against their will either.

SB

Yeah, the guys who have committed to giving it away, hats off to them. I know the Gates' foundation does an awful lot to support Charities all over the place.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:37 - Jan 16 with 2955 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:30 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

Yeah, the guys who have committed to giving it away, hats off to them. I know the Gates' foundation does an awful lot to support Charities all over the place.

In a similar vein have you heard what the founder of MacDonald's a lady called Jean Kroc has done with $15billions (so far) of the estate she inherited

Login to get fewer ads

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:47 - Jan 16 with 2931 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:37 - Jan 16 by Keno

In a similar vein have you heard what the founder of MacDonald's a lady called Jean Kroc has done with $15billions (so far) of the estate she inherited

No, what's the story?

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:50 - Jan 16 with 2925 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:47 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

No, what's the story?

there you go,

http://www.kroccenter.org

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:58 - Jan 16 with 2908 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:50 - Jan 16 by Keno

there you go,

http://www.kroccenter.org

So all my big macs went to supporting the US "God squad"?

Cheers for that Keno.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:04 - Jan 16 with 2887 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 10:58 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

So all my big macs went to supporting the US "God squad"?

Cheers for that Keno.

haha!!

God Squad that does try to actually make a difference

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:20 - Jan 16 with 2849 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:04 - Jan 16 by Keno

haha!!

God Squad that does try to actually make a difference

They try all over Africa too. Wonder how many millions of people have died of HIV because of their attitude and approach to the use of contraception?

Literally millions.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:25 - Jan 16 with 2838 viewseireblue

SB

I think it gives a rationale as to why countries should co-operate more.
Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:36 - Jan 16 with 2815 viewscaught-in-limbo

I think it's excellent that the 7th richest man has been given 600b$ by the CIA for access to its Amazon cloud. It's also really cool and very "free press" that that same man has recently bought one of the US's most respected newspapers, The Washington Post.

That's really excellent. The WP being the first to claim Russian hacking of the US elections with no evidence whatsoever wouldn't be linked to such conflict of interests at all.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:42 - Jan 16 with 2785 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:20 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

They try all over Africa too. Wonder how many millions of people have died of HIV because of their attitude and approach to the use of contraception?

Literally millions.

As far as i am aware the that particular God Squad dont have am issue with contraception and have been very much at the forefront of aids care around the world

There is at least one African country which asked them be co-ordinate the re-establishment of their whole social services and programme a few years back.

I do not agree with that group stance on the homosexuality and in particular the non-ordinataion of members of LGBT's. In that i believe them too be wrong but they are open and consistent.

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 13:40 - Jan 16 with 2698 viewsGuthrum

I always have a hard time with bald figures like that. They don't actually mean a lot.

For a start, nearly 100% of the fortunes of the ultra-wealthy are an assessment of the worth of their shares in businesses. It is a notional value with no concrete foundation, they could never realise those kind of sums, even if they could find people able to buy (e.g. flooding the market with shares would knock the price down), business debts are not considered straightforwardly in the calculations. Their cash and actual possessions are a tiny fraction of the worth quoted, which does not represent their purchasing power.

Secondly, at the other end of the scale, a large proportion of the world's population are small-scale/subsistence farmers. How do you assess their wealth? Minimal cash income, few assets, even any land they own is often of low value compared with a similar parcel in, say, the UK. And yet, in terms of survival, being able to support their families and disposable surplus funds, they aren't a lot worse off than someone earning £13k (full time minimum wage) in this country.

Finally, it fails to take into account differences in the cost of living across the globe. You can survive on $1 a day in rural Africa or India, not even remotely possible in Europe or the USA. Which keeps earnings and the absolute value of assets low in the former places.

That's not to deny the problem of wealth gaps in both societal and global arenas, but hyperbole such as this devalues the genuine argument (while too easily being accused of mere envy).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 13:48 - Jan 16 with 2684 viewsGlasgowBlue

SB

The methodology that Oxfam has used is very misleading.

https://iea.org.uk/blog/oxfams-global-inequality-statistics-dont-believe-the-ant

Oxfam recently seem to have got their priorities mixed up. The focus should be on defeating poverty, not inequality.

There's has been a huge fall in poverty around the world in recent years. Take India. There has been a huge fall in poverty but at the same time there has been a massive increase in inequality. Certain people have become very wealthy at the same time and poverty has fallen.

Are Oxfam saying they would prefer India to be a more equal country where more people went hungry due to poverty?

Unfortunately this charity has become very politicised recently and their statements are timed to coincided with the statements made by the leader of the Labour party.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 13:50 - Jan 16 with 2676 viewseireblue

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:36 - Jan 16 by caught-in-limbo

I think it's excellent that the 7th richest man has been given 600b$ by the CIA for access to its Amazon cloud. It's also really cool and very "free press" that that same man has recently bought one of the US's most respected newspapers, The Washington Post.

That's really excellent. The WP being the first to claim Russian hacking of the US elections with no evidence whatsoever wouldn't be linked to such conflict of interests at all.

Be interested to learn how the 7th richest man on that list can give access to the Amazon cloud.
Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 13:54 - Jan 16 with 2665 viewsKeno

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 13:48 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

The methodology that Oxfam has used is very misleading.

https://iea.org.uk/blog/oxfams-global-inequality-statistics-dont-believe-the-ant

Oxfam recently seem to have got their priorities mixed up. The focus should be on defeating poverty, not inequality.

There's has been a huge fall in poverty around the world in recent years. Take India. There has been a huge fall in poverty but at the same time there has been a massive increase in inequality. Certain people have become very wealthy at the same time and poverty has fallen.

Are Oxfam saying they would prefer India to be a more equal country where more people went hungry due to poverty?

Unfortunately this charity has become very politicised recently and their statements are timed to coincided with the statements made by the leader of the Labour party.

The focus should be on defeating poverty, not inequality.

Totally agree GB

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:18 - Jan 16 with 2648 viewsJ2BLUE

If I was given £1bn I would have given £990m away within a month.

Not taking a shot at any of them as I don't know the details of what they do or how they do it in regards to charity but I just know I couldn't have that level of wealth.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:20 - Jan 16 with 2641 viewsGlasgowBlue

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:18 - Jan 16 by J2BLUE

If I was given £1bn I would have given £990m away within a month.

Not taking a shot at any of them as I don't know the details of what they do or how they do it in regards to charity but I just know I couldn't have that level of wealth.

Let's put it this way; It would take more than 150 years for Oxfam to raise as much for charity as the eight billionaires they condemn today.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:22 - Jan 16 with 2636 viewsJ2BLUE

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:20 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

Let's put it this way; It would take more than 150 years for Oxfam to raise as much for charity as the eight billionaires they condemn today.

Yea I know they do good things which is why I won't criticise but just making a point. They probably do it far more intelligently than I suggest with sustainability.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 14:55 - Jan 16 with 2588 viewsEireannach_gorm

There are some good ones.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/the-irish-american-billionaire-who

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/rich-list-2015/profiles/phillip-berber-
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 15:00]
Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 15:02 - Jan 16 with 2561 viewsbluelagos

Blimey - this says a lot about our society... on 11:42 - Jan 16 by Keno

As far as i am aware the that particular God Squad dont have am issue with contraception and have been very much at the forefront of aids care around the world

There is at least one African country which asked them be co-ordinate the re-establishment of their whole social services and programme a few years back.

I do not agree with that group stance on the homosexuality and in particular the non-ordinataion of members of LGBT's. In that i believe them too be wrong but they are open and consistent.

Not ever seen them in action in Africa so got no particular beef with the Sally Army. Though like I say, pretty much every American religious charity I have seen in action has left a lot to be desired.

They mean well, would never pretend otherwise.

Worst case I ever saw was in Liberia where an American charity was arranging for adoptions of local orphans by American families. $20k for the adoption (to cover costs / checks etc.)

$1k was paid to the guardian of the babies, in a country with a GDP of around $350. Without thinking it through, they created a demand for baby trafficking.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024