Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bamford is going to Boro then 11:54 - Jan 16 with 1461 viewsSteve_M

For what may be less than half of Jordan Rhodes fee.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/16/patrick-bamford-joining-middles

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:07 - Jan 16 with 1401 viewsrickw

It's the best move for Bamford, in his loans to other Premier league clubs he's hardly been given a chance, he had his best time at Boro so he'll be hoping to repeat some of that success.

It's a shame for Rhodes though, I'm not sure if Karanka's ever been convinced by him

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:23 - Jan 16 with 1326 viewsElderGrizzly

Blimey - up to £10m for 34 minutes of PL experience.....

Rhodes will definitely be going then you'd assume
Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:24 - Jan 16 with 1314 viewsElderGrizzly

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:07 - Jan 16 by rickw

It's the best move for Bamford, in his loans to other Premier league clubs he's hardly been given a chance, he had his best time at Boro so he'll be hoping to repeat some of that success.

It's a shame for Rhodes though, I'm not sure if Karanka's ever been convinced by him

Karanka never wanted him and almost resigned due to his signing and being 'asked' to play him more last season.

Villa or Derby for his next stop?
Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:27 - Jan 16 with 1309 viewsitfcjoe

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:24 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

Karanka never wanted him and almost resigned due to his signing and being 'asked' to play him more last season.

Villa or Derby for his next stop?

Feel a bit sorry for Rhodes, whilst some of his moves haven't been the best - the fact he has never had a chance in the PL is mental when you look at his goal record.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:29 - Jan 16 with 1287 viewsElderGrizzly

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:27 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

Feel a bit sorry for Rhodes, whilst some of his moves haven't been the best - the fact he has never had a chance in the PL is mental when you look at his goal record.

Agree, when you consider he is being replaced by the looks of it by someone who has 34 minutes experience and hasn't scored either?

Bizarre...
Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:52 - Jan 16 with 1170 viewsFixed_It

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:29 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, when you consider he is being replaced by the looks of it by someone who has 34 minutes experience and hasn't scored either?

Bizarre...

Or maybe Roy Keane was right after all?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:54 - Jan 16 with 1156 viewsJimmy86

Or could point more to the fact he is just not good enough to play in the premier league. He has scored goals at every club, but take those away and he offers very little. To coin an analogy, when you used to play footy in the play ground, or up at the park and you had a goal hanger, that's what Rhodes is. Goals for a striker are what they are judged on, but now more is expected of a striker in the modern game. The fact no prem team ever took a punt on Rhodes says it all
Bamford is going to Boro then on 13:05 - Jan 16 with 1105 viewsSWGF

I think he's been hamstrung by the moves he's made and the wages he's been on in the Champ. He was already on a fair whack, so already turns into a real investment as opposed to a "punt" once you add in fee and salary.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Bamford is going to Boro then on 13:14 - Jan 16 with 1062 viewsGuthrum

Bamford is going to Boro then on 12:54 - Jan 16 by Jimmy86

Or could point more to the fact he is just not good enough to play in the premier league. He has scored goals at every club, but take those away and he offers very little. To coin an analogy, when you used to play footy in the play ground, or up at the park and you had a goal hanger, that's what Rhodes is. Goals for a striker are what they are judged on, but now more is expected of a striker in the modern game. The fact no prem team ever took a punt on Rhodes says it all

It's a luxury you can't afford in the modern game, where midfields are hugely contested trying to get the ball forward and the workrate for everybody is so high.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bamford is going to Boro then on 13:19 - Jan 16 with 1024 viewstractorboy1978

There is a certain intelligence and knack to being in the right place at the right time and sticking the ball in the net.
Bamford is going to Boro then on 13:51 - Jan 16 with 944 viewsitfcjoe

Bamford is going to Boro then on 13:05 - Jan 16 by SWGF

I think he's been hamstrung by the moves he's made and the wages he's been on in the Champ. He was already on a fair whack, so already turns into a real investment as opposed to a "punt" once you add in fee and salary.

That's more my take on it than the 'not good enough' tag. He was far better than Rudy Gestede - but Villa could sign Gestede rather than Rhodes from Blackburn for half the fee and probably less than half the wages.

He has earned a lot of money out of the game, but career-wise has been badly advised in my view.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bamford is going to Boro then on 14:01 - Jan 16 with 897 viewsDolly2.0

"but take those away and he offers very little"

I never understand this attitude. Why would you take his goals away? He's a striker!

He's not just a goal hanger either. They don't have offside in the playground for starters!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Bamford is going to Boro then on 14:20 - Jan 16 with 855 viewsJimmy86

Bamford is going to Boro then on 14:01 - Jan 16 by Dolly2.0

"but take those away and he offers very little"

I never understand this attitude. Why would you take his goals away? He's a striker!

He's not just a goal hanger either. They don't have offside in the playground for starters!

I understand your point and as I said strikers are judged on goals, fair play he well and truly ticks that box. I also agree that there is a knack of being in the right place at the right time, now here's the BUT. If his goals dried up and he had a barren spell in front of goal, what else does he offer?? He perhaps occupies a defender and runs the channels, but unlike a McCormack shall we say, who is often similar to Rhodes in goal return, does he drop deep into the number 10 role to pick the ball up? Does he dictate play?

I don't dislike Rhodes, his goals speak for themselves, but if he was really that good, would he not have been signed by a prem team before?
Bamford is going to Boro then on 14:35 - Jan 16 with 805 viewsDolly2.0

Bamford is going to Boro then on 14:20 - Jan 16 by Jimmy86

I understand your point and as I said strikers are judged on goals, fair play he well and truly ticks that box. I also agree that there is a knack of being in the right place at the right time, now here's the BUT. If his goals dried up and he had a barren spell in front of goal, what else does he offer?? He perhaps occupies a defender and runs the channels, but unlike a McCormack shall we say, who is often similar to Rhodes in goal return, does he drop deep into the number 10 role to pick the ball up? Does he dictate play?

I don't dislike Rhodes, his goals speak for themselves, but if he was really that good, would he not have been signed by a prem team before?

We've been over this a million times. The main reason he hadn't been signed by a Prem team earlier is the cost v the risk. Prem teams can get similar foreigners for less.

Gary Lineker didn't do much apart from score goals, but no-one was complaining when he was banging them in for England.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024