Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfielders - Stat alert! 12:47 - Jan 17 with 2274 viewspablosturn

Just looking during a very boring lunch at the games/goals ratio of our CM and it is absolutely shocking!

Given that the only real options at present seem to be Skuse, Bru, Douglas, Hyam and Bishop (players that we own and I know some are injured!lol) I have taken these 5 and this is the result:

442 games
13 goals

An amazing ratio of a goal every 37 games from these 5, says it all for me about what we need and why the first player out of our starting 11 needs to be Bru, 4 goals in 75 for an advanced CM is nothing short of abysmal.

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:49 - Jan 17 with 1877 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Here's another one.

We have scored 28 league goals this season. Lincolns back four have scored 15 by themselves!!!!
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:50 - Jan 17 with 1870 viewspositivity

hopefully ward will get a go in the middle soon, be good if dozzell & mcdonnell get some time tonight too...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:53 - Jan 17 with 1856 viewsSteve_M

Whilst that is poor, MM has brought in Fraser and now Lawrence to add creativity and goals over the last two seasons. Ward, although inconsistent, has scored a few goals too. Overall the midfield has contributed far more than it did in 2014-15 where we scored something like eight goals from midfield all season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:55 - Jan 17 with 1844 viewsStenvict

And on the other hand, our 2 top goalscorers this season with 6 and 5 goals are Lawrence and Ward respectively, who are both midfielders.

Whilst I agree our goalscoring record in general is poor, of those you mention, Skuse and Douglas are defensive, Bru and Bishop have hardly played, and Hyam has been injured.

The problem is up front, but you could say we've had injuries too, although Sears has been disappointing and been fit all season.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:56 - Jan 17 with 1830 viewstheipswichman

Harsh to target Bru when his form has been much better recently.
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:01 - Jan 17 with 1799 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:55 - Jan 17 by Stenvict

And on the other hand, our 2 top goalscorers this season with 6 and 5 goals are Lawrence and Ward respectively, who are both midfielders.

Whilst I agree our goalscoring record in general is poor, of those you mention, Skuse and Douglas are defensive, Bru and Bishop have hardly played, and Hyam has been injured.

The problem is up front, but you could say we've had injuries too, although Sears has been disappointing and been fit all season.

You do realise are stats from games they have played and players we actually own....??

The fact that Douglas is now seen as defensive is a nod to how poor MM is at managing some players and also judging when to sign someone whos on the way down. JD has always been attacking in nature, MM soon put pay to that, feel sorry for him to be honest, not his fault that he is an ageing player.

All of the stats show we are crying out for players to create more chances and chip in in midifeld
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:02 - Jan 17 with 1790 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:56 - Jan 17 by theipswichman

hahaha, has he?

Must have missed those incisive forward passes and great goals!!
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:04 - Jan 17 with 1778 viewsGuthrum

Because goalscoring is the only measure for the effectiveness of a midfielder ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:08 - Jan 17 with 1764 viewsLankHenners

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:02 - Jan 17 by pablosturn

hahaha, has he?

Must have missed those incisive forward passes and great goals!!

Like the goal against Bristol the other week you mean?

And how with him being in the team we've looked a lot better on the ball?

Everyone knows he's inconsistent but he really has stepped up in the last few games - was terrific on Saturday.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:08 - Jan 17 with 1752 viewsitfcjoe

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:01 - Jan 17 by pablosturn

You do realise are stats from games they have played and players we actually own....??

The fact that Douglas is now seen as defensive is a nod to how poor MM is at managing some players and also judging when to sign someone whos on the way down. JD has always been attacking in nature, MM soon put pay to that, feel sorry for him to be honest, not his fault that he is an ageing player.

All of the stats show we are crying out for players to create more chances and chip in in midifeld

" JD has always been attacking in nature"

He had one half-decent goalscoring season at Brentford (8 goals) - but in his career he has scored 37 goals in over 550 games....hardly Johnny Wark or Frank Lampard

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:10 - Jan 17 with 1737 viewsitfcjoe

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:08 - Jan 17 by LankHenners

Everyone knows he's inconsistent but he really has stepped up in the last few games - was terrific on Saturday.

I thought he was poor on Saturday - did nothing with the ball and got caught out loads

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:12 - Jan 17 with 1723 viewsGuthrum

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:08 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

" JD has always been attacking in nature"

He had one half-decent goalscoring season at Brentford (8 goals) - but in his career he has scored 37 goals in over 550 games....hardly Johnny Wark or Frank Lampard

Moreover, at 35 he's hardly going to be the fastest player on the pitch, however far he runs during a game. Pace being very important when getting past defenders or arriving at the back post.

Even if he was an attacker two years ago, he's not going to be so much now.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:13 - Jan 17 with 1716 viewsLankHenners

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:10 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

I thought he was poor on Saturday - did nothing with the ball and got caught out loads

Disagree. He was on the ball the most which inevitably means he'll lose it more times than someone who's not. He was always dropping back to collect the ball and move it forwards - he was keeping us in possession and was involved in a lot of our moves going forwards.

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:16 - Jan 17 with 1690 viewsitfcjoe

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:13 - Jan 17 by LankHenners

Disagree. He was on the ball the most which inevitably means he'll lose it more times than someone who's not. He was always dropping back to collect the ball and move it forwards - he was keeping us in possession and was involved in a lot of our moves going forwards.

He does tend to recycle it well, but just doesn't do enough for me.

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:18 - Jan 17 with 1674 viewsLankHenners

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:16 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

He does tend to recycle it well, but just doesn't do enough for me.

To be fair, if we're judging central midfield players for Town in recent years on whether they do enough, we're scraping the barrel for positives!

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:22 - Jan 17 with 1652 viewsitfcjoe

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:18 - Jan 17 by LankHenners

To be fair, if we're judging central midfield players for Town in recent years on whether they do enough, we're scraping the barrel for positives!

Very true - bar a period with Skuse and Bishop we've never had the right balance there

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:35 - Jan 17 with 1580 viewsLankHenners

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:22 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

Very true - bar a period with Skuse and Bishop we've never had the right balance there

Mick's struggled with balance in the team since he's been here really, apart from that great run in our playoff finishing season where we just seemed to get everything right.

If we do take 352 forward as a genuine option then it gives the midfield more room to play with and whilst not excusing players being passengers, it removes someone like Dozzell from being constantly outmuscled and outfought if he was in a central 2. We need a focal point up there to bring others into play rather than shifting it to Lawrence to conjure something up from nowhere. A couple or so shrewd additions and we could look a very good outfit.

FFS I'm starting to believe we're going to be alright again.

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:40 - Jan 17 with 1560 viewsVaughan8

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 12:56 - Jan 17 by theipswichman

You must have not seen the Lincoln game. Deary me. He was awful!
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 14:24 - Jan 17 with 1491 viewstheipswichman

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:40 - Jan 17 by Vaughan8

You must have not seen the Lincoln game. Deary me. He was awful!

I wasn't there no.... I'll change to he's been better in the league recently then! Interesting how people see games differently, I also thought Bru was good on Saturday, I just think back to the number of times the defence had the ball and Bru was the one in space receiving the ball and playing. It made a huge difference to us playing better football the other day.
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:12 - Jan 17 with 1409 viewsrickw

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 14:24 - Jan 17 by theipswichman

I wasn't there no.... I'll change to he's been better in the league recently then! Interesting how people see games differently, I also thought Bru was good on Saturday, I just think back to the number of times the defence had the ball and Bru was the one in space receiving the ball and playing. It made a huge difference to us playing better football the other day.

Bru was the only one trying to get the ball off the defence against Lincoln too - he gave it away a few times, but he had the ball more than others! Dozzell seemed to use the ball very well but was only able to get it a few times all match.

Also I wouldn't call Bru an offensive midfielder - he's given a defensive role as often has he he's given an offensive one. But yes all of our midfielders need to score more, Bishop is perhaps the one I'd expect most goals from (and Dozzell who's not on the list)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:27 - Jan 17 with 1389 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:04 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

Because goalscoring is the only measure for the effectiveness of a midfielder ...

So is number of chances created but don't worry all the players named are excellent at that too.....
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:28 - Jan 17 with 1380 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 13:08 - Jan 17 by LankHenners

Lowering standards always leads to some players being "terrific"

Lower end of champ squad player at best
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:33 - Jan 17 with 1360 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:12 - Jan 17 by rickw

Bru was the only one trying to get the ball off the defence against Lincoln too - he gave it away a few times, but he had the ball more than others! Dozzell seemed to use the ball very well but was only able to get it a few times all match.

Also I wouldn't call Bru an offensive midfielder - he's given a defensive role as often has he he's given an offensive one. But yes all of our midfielders need to score more, Bishop is perhaps the one I'd expect most goals from (and Dozzell who's not on the list)

If you think Bru is instructed to be defensive role as often as offensive then there, in a nutshell, is the issue with MM lately. turning players into defensive players.

He very rarely bursts out with the ball, he has such poor creativity which is my main issue along with our distinct lack of goals which most people seem to have missed when reading my post.

Most saying my observation of lack of creativity and goal scoring ability is not correct but the stats are there for all to see.
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:49 - Jan 17 with 1336 viewsNo9

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:33 - Jan 17 by pablosturn

If you think Bru is instructed to be defensive role as often as offensive then there, in a nutshell, is the issue with MM lately. turning players into defensive players.

He very rarely bursts out with the ball, he has such poor creativity which is my main issue along with our distinct lack of goals which most people seem to have missed when reading my post.

Most saying my observation of lack of creativity and goal scoring ability is not correct but the stats are there for all to see.

Yet, looking at stats (not so selectively) may reveal Town have had more GS opportunities since he's made a few appearances than they did when he was out?
Midfielders - Stat alert! on 16:27 - Jan 17 with 1291 viewspablosturn

Midfielders - Stat alert! on 15:49 - Jan 17 by No9

Yet, looking at stats (not so selectively) may reveal Town have had more GS opportunities since he's made a few appearances than they did when he was out?

Have they?

Sad indictment of the players he has replaced I say.

No player that we currently own is good enough in that position for us to challenge for the top 6 in future seasons, that's my point about where we should be looking to strengthen
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024