Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... 06:34 - Jan 18 with 6612 viewsKeaneish

It's etched in my memory. I posted this last night but I'm still in disbelief this morning and I can't stop thinking about it. On 80 minutes last night, Douglas did this..

...had a touch on a loose ball that dropped from defence, turns in 10 yards of space and instead of knocking a simple ball forward 15 yards to a blue shirt with pace, he launches it 50 yards back to the Lincoln back four.

For anyone who's ever had the ability or the pleasure to play the game at any level, you'll know, as a midfielder this goes against every natural instinct you have as a footballer in that position. It just feels wrong. It's not football. Why Douglas? I can't forgive you for this. You should never play in our shirt again. It beggars belief that this was the decision making of a professional footballer on National television in the greatest domestic cup competition on the planet...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 06:49 - Jan 18 with 4504 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Reminds me so much of the Portsmouth games last year. We were even worse in midfield then, if that's even possible. It's a memory I can't forget. Misplaced passes to opposition players. Safe situations followed by playing our defence into danger. Midfielders getting run by, run over, nutmegged, run around. At least with this one we couldn't really see the mistakes he made (except the odd foul). At one point I thought he'd been taken off but then he hoofed a pass into touch and I thought "oh, he's still playing". It was a poor performance but far from our worst, most weeks the opposition get it to their strikers and Bart pulls off save after save after save,

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 06:51 - Jan 18 with 4482 viewsBenters

I think they all mostly had a bloody nightmare,Berra wasnt exactally great for one.

I blame the coaching staff as much as the players .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:10 - Jan 18 with 4379 viewsKeaneish

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 06:51 - Jan 18 by Benters

I think they all mostly had a bloody nightmare,Berra wasnt exactally great for one.

Berra hasn't been the same player since he got sent-off away at Norwich for me. The first ten minutes were a horror show for him last night!

That performance was bereft of ideas, energy, cohesion and leadership. No-one tried to rally or stir any kind of life from team mates around them. They were sleep walking into the worst performance I've ever seen. Only Emmanuel, Lawrence and Gerken can take any credit.

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:13 - Jan 18 with 4338 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 06:51 - Jan 18 by Benters

I'm shocked at last nights performance, can't believe how poor we were. All this on national tv, the club is screwed. Players, owner, management and coaching staff all must take blame, certain players should never wear the shirt again and MM should feck off with immediate effect
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:21 - Jan 18 with 4251 viewsYallop

There were a few experts on here pre match very forcefully justifying Douglas's selection saying he's what we missed from the home match. Absolutely deluded.

MM should have moved on from him 2 months ago after his dreadful performances. The young lad we sent back to Everton should've been given a decent run. He could put his foot on the ball and pick a pass.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 7:25]
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:27 - Jan 18 with 4167 viewsBenters

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:10 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

Berra hasn't been the same player since he got sent-off away at Norwich for me. The first ten minutes were a horror show for him last night!

That performance was bereft of ideas, energy, cohesion and leadership. No-one tried to rally or stir any kind of life from team mates around them. They were sleep walking into the worst performance I've ever seen. Only Emmanuel, Lawrence and Gerken can take any credit.

Yeah i agree with that.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:38 - Jan 18 with 4051 viewsReuser_is_God

Every player last night had a 'WTF are you doing moment' not just Douglas.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:41 - Jan 18 with 4009 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:10 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

What did Lawrence do other than completely f*ck up the free kick for the goal?

Obviously he's a great player but I reckon you are letting his past performances cloud your judgement on him yeaterday

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:42 - Jan 18 with 3992 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I don't think it's fair choosing Douglas here

He was no better or worse than Skuse, ward, Berra or Best

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:46 - Jan 18 with 3919 viewsVaughan8

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:42 - Jan 18 by The_Romford_Blue

To single out Douglas by the OP is a bit silly.

Did he see Berra in the first half? Did he see THAT touch from skuse which was so bad it was like he had kicked the ball.

Imagine if he did that free kick at the end. Lawrence was clearly our only threat last night and the Wood bloke just kicked him.everytime he could. However, he didn't have a great game and messed that free kick up for their goal.

Douglas is not great but no-one can't single him out. It really is showing the people who just have a massive.downer on him. Bru in the first game was just as bad as those last night. I can't imagine it would have been any different with him in.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 7:47]
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:49 - Jan 18 with 3876 viewsBinner

In criticising last night's team performances it's a bit unfair to single out Douglas. He was no worse than several of his team-mates.

Of those who started the game, Gerken, Lawrence, Emmanuel and Knudsen were, for me, less bad than the others; and I would not criticise Digby playing only his second game.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:46 - Jan 18 with 3595 viewsmonytowbray

Douglas is the new bar of worst player I've seen in a Town shirt. Had a brief few games he was alright mid last season but since then he's been a joke.

I was literally in hysterics at him last night. It was so bad it was funny. That attempt at a shot he has was like a 4 year old trying to kick a full sized football. There was a moment in the second half where he was marking someone in the box, his player went down on the floor and he just fell over them like a clumsy oaf.

TWTD never forgets窶ヲ
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:51 - Jan 18 with 3544 viewsKeaneish

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:42 - Jan 18 by The_Romford_Blue

You're right he wasn't, but that moment just stuck with me and epitomised the team mentality.

To your other point about Lawrence, i felt like him and Emmanuel were the only two outfield players actually looking to get on the ball and string a few passes together. He wasn't great by any stretch but at least he had a bit of passion and work rate in him.

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:53 - Jan 18 with 3517 viewsLankHenners

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 07:38 - Jan 18 by Reuser_is_God

Every player last night had a 'WTF are you doing moment' not just Douglas.

I actually sat with my head in my hands for a bit after Knudsen hopelessly skewed the ball out of play when he could have passed it infield for about the 15th time.

I know you've made your feelings clear on him and I've generally thought you've been a bit harsh but he's lucky Kenlock's injured. Really, really lucky.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:56 - Jan 18 with 3459 viewstheipswichman

Agreed, this isn't a dig at Douglas directly but more Mccarthy and his team selection yesterday. If you want to play Douglas you can't play Skuse, both of them together don't work at all. Neither show for the ball so the defence have no options resulting in the ball getting smashed up into our strikers and most of the time into the Lincoln defence.

So while playing these two together isn't working he then decides to bring Dozzell on but leave Skuse and Douglas together as the defensive midfielders, but Dozzell never got the ball because these two are still not showing and it's going over the midfields head. It's so glaringly obvious that it has to be Skuse OR Douglas it can't be both.
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 3453 viewsitfcjoe

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:51 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

You're right he wasn't, but that moment just stuck with me and epitomised the team mentality.

To your other point about Lawrence, i felt like him and Emmanuel were the only two outfield players actually looking to get on the ball and string a few passes together. He wasn't great by any stretch but at least he had a bit of passion and work rate in him.

I thought Chambers did well too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:01 - Jan 18 with 3410 viewsWickets

Lets face it who in their right mind plays Skuse , Douglas, and Digby together in any midfield.Just got to be a midfield devoid of any creativity.
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:03 - Jan 18 with 3370 viewsmonytowbray

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:56 - Jan 18 by theipswichman

Agreed, this isn't a dig at Douglas directly but more Mccarthy and his team selection yesterday. If you want to play Douglas you can't play Skuse, both of them together don't work at all. Neither show for the ball so the defence have no options resulting in the ball getting smashed up into our strikers and most of the time into the Lincoln defence.

So while playing these two together isn't working he then decides to bring Dozzell on but leave Skuse and Douglas together as the defensive midfielders, but Dozzell never got the ball because these two are still not showing and it's going over the midfields head. It's so glaringly obvious that it has to be Skuse OR Douglas it can't be both.

I don't blame Douglas personally, I blame the bloke whom insists on thumbing him into the team when it's been proven time after time we are awful when we have Skuse and him together in the middle. I also don't know how Mick doesn't watch him and think "Poor bloke, he's had an okay career but his legs are clearly past it now". Matt Holland retired at his age and he was still playing alright at the time, which says a lot.

TWTD never forgets窶ヲ

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:14 - Jan 18 with 3232 viewsJohnWarksTash

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 09:46 - Jan 18 by monytowbray

Douglas is the new bar of worst player I've seen in a Town shirt. Had a brief few games he was alright mid last season but since then he's been a joke.

I was literally in hysterics at him last night. It was so bad it was funny. That attempt at a shot he has was like a 4 year old trying to kick a full sized football. There was a moment in the second half where he was marking someone in the box, his player went down on the floor and he just fell over them like a clumsy oaf.

Not wanting to cause argument but he is no where near the worst player ever in a Town shirt...at the start of the season he was actually performing OK.....up to a point. If you lived through the Duncan years you would remember we had players like Graham Harby, Neil Woods, Louie Donowa. Subsequent to the there was Jonas Axeldal, and the legend that is Mark Fish.

However Douglas is well past his prime, has lost his legs and should no way be anything more than a last resort squad member until the end of the season when he can retire and enjoy his dotage.
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:21 - Jan 18 with 3162 viewsYallop

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:14 - Jan 18 by JohnWarksTash

Not wanting to cause argument but he is no where near the worst player ever in a Town shirt...at the start of the season he was actually performing OK.....up to a point. If you lived through the Duncan years you would remember we had players like Graham Harby, Neil Woods, Louie Donowa. Subsequent to the there was Jonas Axeldal, and the legend that is Mark Fish.

However Douglas is well past his prime, has lost his legs and should no way be anything more than a last resort squad member until the end of the season when he can retire and enjoy his dotage.

Harbey I'll give you but Woods could hold the ball up and had a half decent record. Donowa again was far more use than Douglas
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:24 - Jan 18 with 3126 viewsKeaneish

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:14 - Jan 18 by JohnWarksTash

Did Mark Fish ever play a game or just do and fail a fitness test???

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:27 - Jan 18 with 3096 viewssoupytwist

Axeldahl may or may not have been worse than Douglas but at least he seldom if ever got near the first team, despite scoring billions of goals for the reserves.
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:33 - Jan 18 with 3028 viewsmonytowbray

I wasn't around for the Duncan years, started going in 95, so I think for my time as a Town fan it's perfectly valid for me to say he is the worst player "I have seen" in a Town shirt. Maybe for other generations it's worse. I never thought I'd see a day when I wished Jay Tabb still played for us...

TWTD never forgets窶ヲ

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:40 - Jan 18 with 2965 viewsuncle

I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:24 - Jan 18 by Keaneish

Did Mark Fish ever play a game or just do and fail a fitness test???

Sadly the fitness test the first half of a game away at.....Charlton? Somewhere in London anyway.
The second time since my 30's that I've thought "I could actually do better than him"

It was qpr of course. Duh!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 11:13]
I can't get over what I saw from Douglas last night... on 10:43 - Jan 18 with 2942 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

There were a few moments that stuck with me, though I actually thought Douglas showed a lot more desire than Skuse.. I can remember two occasions when Douglas was the midfield player breaking into the box to support Best. (which should have been Ward)
The issue I have is that we have effectively allowed him to wind down his career whilst in our starting 11 and he simply doesn't have the legs to do the job he has done all his career

My (Favourite?) moments of last night:
Skuse unopposed miscuing an attempt lump forward off his toe and halfway into the crowd.
Digby having no one to throw the ball to, so threw it to their player and then promptly fouled him
Anytime Berra tried to pass the ball
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 10:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024