Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyway, I've written a blog 09:27 - Jan 18 with 1538 viewsSteve_M

Rather than repeat the same points all day. I'm still not sure that we are quite where we were when Jewell left although the lack of belief at times is similar. That really shouldn't be the benchmark though.

Blog: Where Are We Now? 18th Jan 2017 09:20
Well, ultimately it is now a question of a change of manager now or at the end of the season. Mick McCarthy has dragged the cycle out to four years rather than the 18 months of his more hapless predecessors but there is clearly a need for a fresh approach at the club. 23

This might be as good as my day gets, I'm off to hospital now to have an operation on my ankle. Should be about as much fun as last night's match.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:29 - Jan 18 with 1490 viewschicoazul

Occasional reminder that both Pardew and Redknapp are currently without clubs.

Good blog Steve.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 1480 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Good luck with the op

Will read your blog later - you always give a balanced viewpoint

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 1478 viewssoupytwist

Presumably the operation will at least have the benefit of general/local anaesthetic. Could have done with some of that last night.
Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:33 - Jan 18 with 1464 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm convinced if Mick was to leave now, we'd end up with Kenny Jackett.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:34 - Jan 18 with 1454 viewsRadlett_blue

You are Adam Webster and I claim my £5.
Hope you're back in time for the relegation battle!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:52 - Jan 18 with 1395 viewsDarth_Koont

Excellent and very balanced blog, Steve. The biggest mistake would be for us (or Evans for that matter) to see any simple answers for Mick or indeed his replacement.

It would also be interesting to see if your 6 on-the-pitch points is actually incorporated into the club's largely off-the-field or strategic 5-point plan. Without a manager and players who can consistently achieve the former (or at least do a passable impression) then the overall promotion strategy looks destined to fail. The best we could hope to achieve is to keep treading water while bringing through players and earning some cash when they move onto bigger and better things. Which in the long term would be almost as depressing as bringing through no players at all.

Pronouns: He/Him

Anyway, I've written a blog on 17:14 - Jan 18 with 1297 viewsSteve_M

Well, the operation seems to have gone well even if the football hasn't improved.

I starving now; guess I'll have to wait for a beer though.

Anyway, I've written a blog on 17:40 - Jan 18 with 1251 viewsMullet

Anyway, I've written a blog on 17:14 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

Well, the operation seems to have gone well even if the football hasn't improved.

Nice one Skippy.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Anyway, I've written a blog on 17:41 - Jan 18 with 1241 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyway, I've written a blog on 17:14 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

This injury crisis is clearly a particularly bad one if it's starting to affect fans. Hope the ankle recovers soon.
Anyway, I've written a blog on 18:08 - Jan 18 with 1185 viewsgordon

Nice blog, hope the ankle repairs go well.

On the topic of young players, a good example the other day was with Jurgen Klopp.

Nathaniel Clyne was out injured for the Manchester United away game, and Klopp had an obvious solution of bringing in Moreno, an experienced spanish international left-back and switching Milner to right-back - he's right-footed so shouldn't be a problem.

But instead, he gave an 18 year old right-back, Alexander-Arnold, his first competitive start and second League appearance in the highest profile Liverpool fixture of the season (apart from maybe the Merseyside derby). And he played pretty well.

Klopp didn't decide that he wouldn't be able to handle it, and go with the safe option, he gave the young player the opportunity to grab the shirt. All those other youngsters at Liverpool ought to be thinking I might get my chance any day, I'd better train hard, push for a place in the team, be ready if it comes.

I'm not sure you could say the same about how the younger fringe players are managed at Ipswich.
Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:16 - Jan 18 with 1097 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting blog. Thanks.

Your 6-point "on field" wish list spells out just how poor we currently are:

1) Full-backs linking with midfield.
2) At least one player who can beat a man, either with pace or skill, preferably two on the pitch most of the time.
3) Some balance between strikers and midfield.
4) Being brave enough to allow our young players some real game time — there isn’t much point in spending on the Academy otherwise.
5) Much, much better ball retention.
6) Some attempt to be the side controlling the tempo of play.

It's really just basic stuff, isn't it?

I accept Marcus Evans may well be more responsible for our long-term plight than I have previously considered, but I'm finding it difficult to see beyond Mick's failings right now, and the last thing I want is for Marcus Evans to give him any money which would otherwise go to a new manager.

I really don't understand how a team of aspiring Premier League players on incomes I could only dream of, coached by one of the league's most experienced managers (on a reported 1.2m pound a year salary), could look so completely inept and lacking in skill against a non-league side - twice in ten days!

Our very 2-dimensional style of play has been on show for some time now and following last night's result, the remaining pro-McCarthy die-hards have joined in the calls for a change in manager.

Our results this year are crazy. We have no consistency at all, forget winning streaks - we can't even string two losses together. I can't help feeling there's something very odd going on at a man management /personnel level which needs to be explained. Until that happens, I don't see the point in MM being given any money for new players this month at all and look forward to the day in the very near future when we start with a new manager.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:25 - Jan 18 with 1070 viewsSteve_M

Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:16 - Jan 18 by caught-in-limbo

Interesting blog. Thanks.

Your 6-point "on field" wish list spells out just how poor we currently are:

1) Full-backs linking with midfield.
2) At least one player who can beat a man, either with pace or skill, preferably two on the pitch most of the time.
3) Some balance between strikers and midfield.
4) Being brave enough to allow our young players some real game time — there isn’t much point in spending on the Academy otherwise.
5) Much, much better ball retention.
6) Some attempt to be the side controlling the tempo of play.

It's really just basic stuff, isn't it?

I accept Marcus Evans may well be more responsible for our long-term plight than I have previously considered, but I'm finding it difficult to see beyond Mick's failings right now, and the last thing I want is for Marcus Evans to give him any money which would otherwise go to a new manager.

I really don't understand how a team of aspiring Premier League players on incomes I could only dream of, coached by one of the league's most experienced managers (on a reported 1.2m pound a year salary), could look so completely inept and lacking in skill against a non-league side - twice in ten days!

Our very 2-dimensional style of play has been on show for some time now and following last night's result, the remaining pro-McCarthy die-hards have joined in the calls for a change in manager.

Our results this year are crazy. We have no consistency at all, forget winning streaks - we can't even string two losses together. I can't help feeling there's something very odd going on at a man management /personnel level which needs to be explained. Until that happens, I don't see the point in MM being given any money for new players this month at all and look forward to the day in the very near future when we start with a new manager.

In many ways, it's more frustrating that we can do some of that in some matches and then revert to being rubbish (or worse) in the next one. So much of professional sport is played in the head and Lincoln and Cowley won that battle after ten minutes when the tackles stated flying in.

I do think McCarthy has tried to improve things on the pitch age, at times, it shows but it's points 5 and 6 there that we fail on consistently. They aren't as important to him as they really should be.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 21:34]

Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:29 - Jan 18 with 1052 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyway, I've written a blog on 09:33 - Jan 18 by Kieran_Knows

I'm convinced if Mick was to leave now, we'd end up with Kenny Jackett.

Him or Mogga is my guess, unless there's an interim manager brought in until the end of the season.
Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:30 - Jan 18 with 1033 viewsMullet

Anyway, I've written a blog on 21:29 - Jan 18 by PhilTWTD

Him or Mogga is my guess, unless there's an interim manager brought in until the end of the season.

Mogga? Are you hoping to retire before Malcolm Webster is forced to go all Norfolk van der Lubbe?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024