Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All time five worst performances 15:26 - Jan 18 with 7036 viewsSuperfrans

I'm trying to tell myself that it's been worse and we have bounced back before. But I'm struggling to think of too many more embarrassing performances.

In no particular order, here are the five I've come up with. Anyone got any others they would suggest?

1995: 0-9 away vs Man Utd. The biggest defeat every, in the history of man.
1963: 1-10 away vs Fulham. I wasn't alive then, but it must have been terrible.
2011: 1-5 home vs Budgies. Two or three budgie fans I know say they'll never attend a derby at our place again because it will never get better than this.
2009: 0-4 home vs Newcastle. The game pays tribute to the recently departed Sir Bobby, we unveil the stand in his name, I'm surrounding by my family at a big reunion and insist we watch, the team doesn't turn up.
2017: 0-1 away vs Lincoln. National television, non league team, abject performance...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

All time five worst performances on 16:23 - Jan 18 with 2235 viewsnorthstandsteps

9-0 v Man United
3-0 v Grimsby
7-1 v Peterborough
5-1 v Norwich.

Last night topped all of them
All time five worst performances on 16:26 - Jan 18 with 2222 viewsStenvict

All time five worst performances on 16:18 - Jan 18 by MaySixth

I was there and it was so bad I didn't even realise.

Agreed. It was really bad.

Poll: What will be announced first?

All time five worst performances on 16:26 - Jan 18 with 2220 viewsfactual_blue

All time five worst performances on 15:33 - Jan 18 by Radlett_blue

That was a very strange game. Liverpool took the lead with a fluked deflection, Sixto almost equalised. After Liverpool got a 2nd, they then scored with what seemed 4 breakaways. However, the game seemed to ruin the confidence of what had been a resurgent Town & the really bad performance was 2 weeks later when we lost 3-1 at home to Southampton when we made Gordon Marsden look like Maradonna.

Was that the game where Liverpool substituted their goalie, just to rub it in?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

All time five worst performances on 16:38 - Jan 18 with 2192 viewsITFC_Forever

1995 - Wrexham FAC defeat
1995 - Man U 0-9
2002 - Bolton 1-4
2011 - Norwich 1-5 at home
2017 - Lincoln FAC defeat

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

All time five worst performances on 16:39 - Jan 18 with 2190 viewsRadlett_blue

All time five worst performances on 16:05 - Jan 18 by CaptainObvious

charlton away in the 90s when Burley's job was on the line, Dozzell and Dyer were completely hungover and we had David Whyte and Neil Gregory up front.

I don't think Gb's job was on the line, but I agree that the first half was probably the worst 45 minutes I have seen from Town. David Kerslake made one of his thankfully few appearances at full back & his performance rivalled Vemund Brekke Skard's as the worst I've seen from a Town player. The only mitigation was that GB claimed a few Town players had been suffering from a virus (possibly JD & Dyer) but as you say, that may have been a smokescreen & it may be why JD's 2nd spell with us ended soon afterwards.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

All time five worst performances on 16:45 - Jan 18 with 2172 viewsThe_Last_Baron

1-0 defeat at QPR last year. Utter cr@p from McCarthy's team.

3-0 defeat at Charlton 1997. Hopeless but nowhere near as bad as last night.

1-3 at home to Southampton 2002. Even worse than the 0-6 home defeat to Liverpool a couple of weeks earlier.

Peterborough 7-1. Another televised embarrassment.

Any of the Cup defeats under McCarthy have been terrible.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

All time five worst performances on 16:47 - Jan 18 with 2155 viewsThe_Last_Baron

All time five worst performances on 15:35 - Jan 18 by Radlett_blue

WAs 3-1 I think - Pablo forced a somewhat dubious goal over the line.

Finidi George scored, not Pablo.

All time five worst performances on 16:49 - Jan 18 with 2131 viewsThe_Last_Baron

All time five worst performances on 16:05 - Jan 18 by CaptainObvious

charlton away in the 90s when Burley's job was on the line, Dozzell and Dyer were completely hungover and we had David Whyte and Neil Gregory up front.

Hungover? I remember seeing Dyer before the game and he definitely wasn't hungover.

The Whyte/Gregory partnership was a limited edition viewing. Never to be re-released.

Carl Leaburn scored a majestic header near the end. Phil Chapple also scored with as free a header from a corner as you can imagine.

We signed David Johnson soon afterwards and life got better very quickly.

Login to get fewer ads

All time five worst performances on 16:50 - Jan 18 with 2128 viewsCaptainObvious

All time five worst performances on 16:39 - Jan 18 by Radlett_blue

I don't think Gb's job was on the line, but I agree that the first half was probably the worst 45 minutes I have seen from Town. David Kerslake made one of his thankfully few appearances at full back & his performance rivalled Vemund Brekke Skard's as the worst I've seen from a Town player. The only mitigation was that GB claimed a few Town players had been suffering from a virus (possibly JD & Dyer) but as you say, that may have been a smokescreen & it may be why JD's 2nd spell with us ended soon afterwards.

Left us in 21st position in November, having made the play-offs in the previous season so if not on the line there were certainly questions being asked. Thankfully 2 weeks later we bought David Johnson and it all took off from there.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

All time five worst performances on 16:50 - Jan 18 with 2127 viewsCaptainObvious

All time five worst performances on 16:49 - Jan 18 by The_Last_Baron

Hungover? I remember seeing Dyer before the game and he definitely wasn't hungover.

The Whyte/Gregory partnership was a limited edition viewing. Never to be re-released.

Carl Leaburn scored a majestic header near the end. Phil Chapple also scored with as free a header from a corner as you can imagine.

We signed David Johnson soon afterwards and life got better very quickly.

yeah i might have that wrong, it was definitely Dozzell + 1

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

All time five worst performances on 16:50 - Jan 18 with 2125 viewsThe_Last_Baron

All time five worst performances on 15:37 - Jan 18 by sticklegs

Port Vale 5 Ipswich 0.....New years day 1990.....Hung over, pouring with rain, traffic chaos. Only good memory is doing the conga up and down the open terrace. I have since heard that some of the players were also out on the piss the night before, hence the woeful display!

John Wark admits in his book that Linighan and him got hammered the night before. It was New Year's Day, the start of the nineties.

All time five worst performances on 16:52 - Jan 18 with 2116 viewsThe_Last_Baron

All time five worst performances on 16:39 - Jan 18 by Radlett_blue

Kerslake was terrible that game. A man at the end of his career. A bit like John Scales during his time at Town, only played a few games, think we won them all strangely enough.

All time five worst performances on 16:56 - Jan 18 with 2099 viewsEatonBlue

I will add Town 2 Southport 3 in the FA Cup Third Round Replay in season 1965/66, a season that was remarkably similar to 2016/17. They call them 'transitional' seasons don't they?
Oh and also one of the first games I saw at PR - 1962/63 1-5 v Birmingham.
All time five worst performances on 16:59 - Jan 18 with 2085 viewsITFC_Forever

Can't believe so few have mentioned the 1-2 defeat to Wrexham in the cup in 1995.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

All time five worst performances on 17:02 - Jan 18 with 2063 viewsThe_Last_Baron

All time five worst performances on 16:56 - Jan 18 by EatonBlue

I will add Town 2 Southport 3 in the FA Cup Third Round Replay in season 1965/66, a season that was remarkably similar to 2016/17. They call them 'transitional' seasons don't they?
Oh and also one of the first games I saw at PR - 1962/63 1-5 v Birmingham.

History proved it was transitional as we won the Second Division two under Bill McGarry.

Similar to 1990-91 when John Lyall was getting his head around things in preparation for our victorious assault on the Second Division the following season.

There is nothing transitional about 2016-17. It has just been sh1te and predictably so.

All time five worst performances on 17:06 - Jan 18 with 2040 viewsyorkshireblue

All time five worst performances on 16:06 - Jan 18 by Bowls1e

Wimbledon when they beat us 5-1 at home with Andy 'Pandy' Marshall in goal for us was a bit of a low point.

Oh God, I had blocked that out of my mind. One of their last games before moving to MK, so hardly any away fans.

I was at Bolton, and that tops the lot for me given the importance of the game and what was at stake.
All time five worst performances on 17:06 - Jan 18 with 2040 viewsRadlett_blue

All time five worst performances on 17:02 - Jan 18 by The_Last_Baron

History proved it was transitional as we won the Second Division two under Bill McGarry.

Similar to 1990-91 when John Lyall was getting his head around things in preparation for our victorious assault on the Second Division the following season.

There is nothing transitional about 2016-17. It has just been sh1te and predictably so.

2016-17 may prove to be transitional, but not in a good way.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

All time five worst performances on 18:06 - Jan 18 with 1981 viewsOxfordTH_1981

You missed the obvious one: the 1-4 away to Bolton in a crunch match at the end of the 2001/02 season when we were fighting for our lives but went four down in 30 minutes in a gutless and passionless display in front of a large following, which staggered even Sheepshanks who came on the radio to make a statement apologising to the fans.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 18:07]
All time five worst performances on 18:11 - Jan 18 with 1970 viewsTractorCam

Lincoln 1-0 Ipswich
Ipswich 0-2 Fulham
Ipswich 0-2 Forest
Newcastle 3-0 Ipswich
Ipswich 0-1 Huddersfield

Oh, these all appear to be this season

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

All time five worst performances on 18:22 - Jan 18 with 1938 viewsGeoffSentence

All time five worst performances on 18:11 - Jan 18 by TractorCam

Lincoln 1-0 Ipswich
Ipswich 0-2 Fulham
Ipswich 0-2 Forest
Newcastle 3-0 Ipswich
Ipswich 0-1 Huddersfield

Oh, these all appear to be this season

Did anyone on here see the 10-1 defeat to Fulham? Were Town as shocking as you might think by the scoreline ? Or was it one of those games, like the Man U 9-0, where the ref gifted them a goal?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

All time five worst performances on 18:23 - Jan 18 with 1928 viewsMullet

All time five worst performances on 18:22 - Jan 18 by GeoffSentence

Did anyone on here see the 10-1 defeat to Fulham? Were Town as shocking as you might think by the scoreline ? Or was it one of those games, like the Man U 9-0, where the ref gifted them a goal?

Pretty sure Snr described it as the team being knackered and out of sorts - as is the case when you run into such cricket scores it's a bit of a freakshow.

I will quiz him on Saturday and report back for you.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

All time five worst performances on 18:30 - Jan 18 with 1899 viewsGeoffSentence

All time five worst performances on 18:23 - Jan 18 by Mullet

Pretty sure Snr described it as the team being knackered and out of sorts - as is the case when you run into such cricket scores it's a bit of a freakshow.

Is knackered and out of sorts a pseudonym for hungover?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

All time five worst performances on 20:02 - Jan 18 with 1723 viewsBinner

All time five worst performances on 18:23 - Jan 18 by Mullet

I think it is the same season we shipped nine goals at Stoke...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

All time five worst performances on 20:04 - Jan 18 with 1720 viewsflimflam

All time five worst performances on 15:37 - Jan 18 by sticklegs

Port Vale 5 Ipswich 0.....New years day 1990.....Hung over, pouring with rain, traffic chaos. Only good memory is doing the conga up and down the open terrace. I have since heard that some of the players were also out on the piss the night before, hence the woeful display!

Yep thats the one I was going to mention. Great day shiiite result

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

All time five worst performances on 20:08 - Jan 18 with 1690 viewsDyland

Grimsby and Bolton.

Being positive (sort of) for a moment, I can picture Jewell's team's come-back against Barnsley much better than the awful (and again, televised) thrashing by Peterborough.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024