Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All time five worst performances 15:26 - Jan 18 with 7052 viewsSuperfrans

I'm trying to tell myself that it's been worse and we have bounced back before. But I'm struggling to think of too many more embarrassing performances.

In no particular order, here are the five I've come up with. Anyone got any others they would suggest?

1995: 0-9 away vs Man Utd. The biggest defeat every, in the history of man.
1963: 1-10 away vs Fulham. I wasn't alive then, but it must have been terrible.
2011: 1-5 home vs Budgies. Two or three budgie fans I know say they'll never attend a derby at our place again because it will never get better than this.
2009: 0-4 home vs Newcastle. The game pays tribute to the recently departed Sir Bobby, we unveil the stand in his name, I'm surrounding by my family at a big reunion and insist we watch, the team doesn't turn up.
2017: 0-1 away vs Lincoln. National television, non league team, abject performance...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

All time five worst performances on 20:19 - Jan 18 with 1288 viewsyorksblue

5-0 vs Forest @ Wembley
All time five worst performances on 20:53 - Jan 18 with 1246 viewspeterleeblue

All time five worst performances on 16:18 - Jan 18 by MaySixth

I was there and it was so bad I didn't even realise.

I was at that game and it bench marked the season I would say.
All time five worst performances on 21:05 - Jan 18 with 1239 viewsnoggin

Considering the opposition, last night was the most inept performance I can remember seeing, by ANY team, ever. The only one that comes close is England losing to Iceland.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

All time five worst performances on 21:15 - Jan 18 with 1213 viewsThe_Major

A 2-0 defeat at Barnsley in the Cup in 1990 springs to mind as well. Kept in after the match as usual, and off go the floodlights. Cries of "oi, we're still bloody here you know" filled the air. And then it started snowing.
All time five worst performances on 21:23 - Jan 18 with 1190 viewsLetchworth_Blue

All time five worst performances on 20:19 - Jan 18 by yorksblue

5-0 vs Forest @ Wembley

Worst ones I've been to:

7-1 Peterborough away
3-0 Swindon (1989) away
4-1 Bolton away
3-0 Forest away (1989)
2-0 Reading away (2005)
All time five worst performances on 21:23 - Jan 18 with 1190 viewsThe_Major

Another one, 0-3 v Bolton in the League Cup 94-95. Us a Premier League team (although we were soon going to put paid to that) with a strong side out, them floundering around in the third tier about to jump on the Allardyce bandwagon.

Wasn't the Lyall/McGivern last match at home to I think Man City pretty woeful too, complete with on pitch protests, the headline "Get Your Act Together" in the Star, and Dave Allard basically making out that he had kept quiet too long about going ons at the club and he was going to reveal everything as if Woodward and Bernstein had pitched up at Lower Brook Street? He never did.
All time five worst performances on 21:46 - Jan 18 with 1134 viewsRadlett_blue

All time five worst performances on 21:23 - Jan 18 by The_Major

Another one, 0-3 v Bolton in the League Cup 94-95. Us a Premier League team (although we were soon going to put paid to that) with a strong side out, them floundering around in the third tier about to jump on the Allardyce bandwagon.

Wasn't the Lyall/McGivern last match at home to I think Man City pretty woeful too, complete with on pitch protests, the headline "Get Your Act Together" in the Star, and Dave Allard basically making out that he had kept quiet too long about going ons at the club and he was going to reveal everything as if Woodward and Bernstein had pitched up at Lower Brook Street? He never did.

The only notable thing about that humiliating Bolton defeat was that it marked the debut of one Mauricio Taricco, who didn't re-appear in the 1st team for over a year.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

All time five worst performances on 21:53 - Jan 18 with 1122 views3_5_2

Grimsby away. Lost 3-0. GB sacked. I went and as so angry spent ages trying to get through to "5 live" on my car phone to rant !

Burnley away. Lost 4-2. 3 down at half time. Fecking awful ground freezing cold etc. just horrible

The famous Port Vale home draw. About 8,000 in.

There has been a few but in terms of gutless, thoughtless, spineless. Last night was right there

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

All time five worst performances on 22:02 - Jan 18 with 1116 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Rotherham at home last season was dreadful.

BOT

All time five worst performances on 22:10 - Jan 18 with 1103 viewsTexaco73

All time five worst performances on 15:35 - Jan 18 by MattinLondon

I remember Carlton Palmer (Yes Carlton Palmer) going past a few players and slotting home in front of the North Stand.

You know its bad when a donkey looks like an elegant gazelle.

That was a 'bad day at the office'. Lost 4-1 at home to Sheff Wed with Carlton Palmer's goal the icing.

Just stayed out after the match in Ipswich with my shirt still on and got the p1ss taken all night.
Happy days.
All time five worst performances on 22:44 - Jan 18 with 1054 viewsSibelius8

All time five worst performances on 15:51 - Jan 18 by Binner

How about the 9-1 against Stoke. Weren't Stoke newly promoted at the time?

That season of relegation was, believe or not, most entertaining! Losing to Man Utd 7-2 at home was so very exciting for me, as a young lad, in Churchman's as usual - Man U were stylish and great to watch. A Ted Phillips penalty burst the net, as my memory (possibly faulty!) reminds me, at that end.
I saw most games that season - and most reserve games too - and just enjoyed and accepted the fact that we were probably, no, certainly, going to be relegated. We were slow and tragic all over the pitch! TWTD indeed - but for the wrong reasons.
In those days there were few away fans, but I remember reading, in the "Green 'Un" about the 10-1 defeat to Fulham (on Boxing Day) and the own goal by our keeper Roy Bailey - he punched a cross at the penalty spot and it flew into our own net. Such were Xmas fixtures- the players were probably completely sozzled!
This was a christmas when there was snow outside for weeks on end and the probability of games cancelled the next day was only a vague possibility (what matters if there's a few inches of snow on the pitch? - nowadays it's compulsory to cancel for Health and Safety.) But Fulham arrived for the return fixture the next day and we won 4-2, and, but being only a wee lad, I can only remember how cold it was!
It feels very cold at Portman Road just now. But it's not about the weather.......
All time five worst performances on 23:46 - Jan 18 with 976 viewstractorshark

Last night was the worst for me.
5-0 at port vale was shocking. I spent the journey up nursing a hangover and throwing up into a bin. But the conga was good.
The Norwich 5-1 was rubbish but they were good that night.
Same with Man Utd, it was embarrassing but the opposition were awesome.
Peterborough 7-1 is up there but we did take the lead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024