Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Cowley 20:42 - Jan 18 with 3402 viewsVic

Good shout as next manager here?

Clearly likes to play expansive football. Knows how to set a team up (as seen in two games against us) and has an excellent track record for several years, first at Braintree and now at Lincoln. He's cut his teeth and should be ready to step up.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Danny Cowley on 21:00 - Jan 18 with 2550 viewsPapa

Took Concord Rangers to 3 consecutive promotions. Finished 3rd in Conference with part time Braintree. Flying with Lincoln who played to their strengths. From Essex and has family that support town.

He is exactly who we should be after. Young, hungry and proving himself. We should get him in before someone else does.
Danny Cowley on 21:01 - Jan 18 with 2541 viewsHerbivore

Expansive football? Didn't they mainly knock it long to that big lad up front?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Danny Cowley on 21:05 - Jan 18 with 2505 viewsSwansea_Blue

Danny Cowley on 21:01 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

He covered a big expanse!

I thought people were just being lazy with this suggestion, but I hadn't realised his other successes. It sounds like Cowley has delivered each time he steps up a level. It's still a gap to us, but it may not be such a bad idea to at least have a look.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Danny Cowley on 21:05 - Jan 18 with 2507 viewsPapa

That's better than our current tactic of knocking it long to no-one!
Danny Cowley on 21:11 - Jan 18 with 2443 viewsHerbivore

Danny Cowley on 21:05 - Jan 18 by Papa

That's better than our current tactic of knocking it long to no-one!

Indeed, but whilst they were very well organised they're hardly a non-league Brazil. The Cowleys are doing a good job and full credit to them but I'm not fussed about them coming here.

Danny Cowley on 21:14 - Jan 18 with 2431 viewsDeano69

Danny Cowley on 21:05 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

He covered a big expanse!

I thought people were just being lazy with this suggestion, but I hadn't realised his other successes. It sounds like Cowley has delivered each time he steps up a level. It's still a gap to us, but it may not be such a bad idea to at least have a look.

Not just on the pitch either. Looked like a really good feeling round the club. Even had time for an interview before the game, very generous with his time.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Danny Cowley on 21:15 - Jan 18 with 2416 viewsBluespeed225

Can't really see that happening. I'm worried we're now seen as a bit of a poisoned chalice, no funds, players unhappy, fans unhappy, any reputation we might have had is a faded memory, even 2001 is a long while ago now. Football is a small world on the inside, word gets round. My worry is this getting more vitriolic, and us going into freefall next month. then it'll be either a young up and coming manager, nice, but patience needed, or a 'name' that Evans gets handed by Redknapp, just a last payday for someone, and the cycle starts again.
Danny Cowley on 21:16 - Jan 18 with 2407 viewsBluespeed225

Or that norwich pull the trigger first and move quickly, as they did with Lambert.
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Cowley on 21:21 - Jan 18 with 2368 viewsVic

Yep, I can accept that - but my point is that getting Lincoln on the sort of form they're currently is not a one hit wonder. He's done it at each club he's been to. I'd love to see him get a chance here.

Danny Cowley on 21:21 - Jan 18 with 2378 viewsPhilTWTD

While he may have a future at this level, it's far too early for a Championship club like us. Has never managed or played or managed in the league.
Danny Cowley on 21:22 - Jan 18 with 2349 viewsMullet

Danny Cowley on 21:14 - Jan 18 by Deano69

Not just on the pitch either. Looked like a really good feeling round the club. Even had time for an interview before the game, very generous with his time.

It was the biggest game of their lives and the BBC got their dream script, that interview was clearly opening scene to it too.

Think it would have looked radically different under the light of a different result etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Danny Cowley on 21:28 - Jan 18 with 2302 viewsHerbivore

Danny Cowley on 21:21 - Jan 18 by Vic

Yep, I can accept that - but my point is that getting Lincoln on the sort of form they're currently is not a one hit wonder. He's done it at each club he's been to. I'd love to see him get a chance here.

Much as it didn't show on the pitch it's an absolutely huge step up, it would be a massive gamble and not one I'd be keen on taking to be honest.

Danny Cowley on 21:28 - Jan 18 with 2301 viewsSteve_M

Don't forget making sure to take the man when tackling every single time.

Deserved winners though they clearly were, I'm not quite sure the Cowleys really live up to the hype. Will be interesting what happens over the next couple of seasons.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Danny Cowley on 21:29 - Jan 18 with 2271 viewsBerkshire_Blue

idiot
Danny Cowley on 21:31 - Jan 18 with 2231 viewsRedX

He has a bit to go before being considered for such a job tbf.
Danny Cowley on 21:31 - Jan 18 with 2233 viewsDubtractor

I'm a big advocate for going for an up and coming manager with fresh ideas, but this would be a HUGE gamble with their lack of experience of football at anything resembling this level.

Maybe he will make it to this level, but there are a few years worth of development and experience required as yet.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Danny Cowley on 21:32 - Jan 18 with 2223 viewsHerbivore

Danny Cowley on 21:28 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

Deserved winners though they clearly were, I'm not quite sure the Cowleys really live up to the hype. Will be interesting what happens over the next couple of seasons.

They did seem to get away with a lot of rough stuff.

Danny Cowley on 21:32 - Jan 18 with 2223 viewsVic

But my point is that he has been a huge success at every club he's managed so far.

Here's one for people that know more than I do - are there other managers from non league that have stepped up into lower championship level?

Danny Cowley on 21:36 - Jan 18 with 2184 viewsdavblue

Danny Cowley on 21:21 - Jan 18 by PhilTWTD

While he may have a future at this level, it's far too early for a Championship club like us. Has never managed or played or managed in the league.

Neither had Wenger,Mouriniho, Fergie. I get what you mean though.

I really think Keith Hill would be a fair shout, good experience, shown he can build teams, they play decent football when I've seen them and he has a knack of buying players and selling them on.
Danny Cowley on 21:38 - Jan 18 with 2166 viewsDubtractor

Danny Cowley on 21:36 - Jan 18 by davblue

I really think Keith Hill would be a fair shout, good experience, shown he can build teams, they play decent football when I've seen them and he has a knack of buying players and selling them on.

Yeah, that is a decent shout.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Danny Cowley on 21:38 - Jan 18 with 2159 viewsMullet

Danny Cowley on 21:36 - Jan 18 by davblue

Didn't Fergie do it at Aberdeen?

Mourinho at Porto after learning from SBR?

Danny Cowley on 21:40 - Jan 18 with 2125 viewsdavblue

Danny Cowley on 21:38 - Jan 18 by Mullet

Didn't Fergie do it at Aberdeen?

Mourinho at Porto after learning from SBR?

The point is they started somewhere. Not at big clubs.
Appreciate I'm talking about fantastic managers there but who's to say they won't be top managers.
They wouldn't be my top choice at this moment in time.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 21:43]
Danny Cowley on 21:40 - Jan 18 with 2117 viewsRedX

Danny Cowley on 21:32 - Jan 18 by Vic

But my point is that he has been a huge success at every club he's managed so far.

Here's one for people that know more than I do - are there other managers from non league that have stepped up into lower championship level?

Check out Derek Adams at Plymouth. Now he has a decent record for a lower league young manager. There is no doubt he will rise up the leagues. Similar to Chris Wilder at Sheffield Utd and the fine job he is doing.
Danny Cowley on 21:43 - Jan 18 with 2092 viewsMullet

Danny Cowley on 21:40 - Jan 18 by davblue

The point is they started somewhere. Not at big clubs.
Appreciate I'm talking about fantastic managers there but who's to say they won't be top managers.
They wouldn't be my top choice at this moment in time.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 21:43]

Well yeah, but they had intermediary steps before going to the big club. Cowley to us is madder than any of the recent scum appointments.

Danny Cowley on 21:46 - Jan 18 with 2051 viewsReuser_is_God

I'm not sure Mick does either but we've got him.

Lincoln done exactly what they had to do last night & the Cowleys deserve huge credit for that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024