Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite 'cr*p' players? 13:43 - Jan 19 with 13839 viewsSwailsey

Players who probably weren't very good but you liked them anyway? Players who others seemingly hated, but liked?

I know there's been similar threads like this before, but with all the hatred JD is getting, it's worth remembering that far worse players have been strangely liked, without any reason.

For me?

Colin Healy (still maintain he was a good player, ruined by injury)
Manual Thetis
ALB
Ben Thatcher*
N'Daw

*mainly because I signed him on FM years ago and he was ace for me.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 13:57]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:26 - Jan 19 with 2479 viewsfactual_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:14 - Jan 19 by hoppy

I respectfully request that you re-read the OP subject title and that would then allow you to edit your post to correct it.

He's wrong as the OP isn't called 'Favorite really, really cr*p players'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:26 - Jan 19 with 2483 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:21 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

I've always said that if you haven't painted Soviet iconography onto your banana, you haven't lived

This post was brought to you by euphemismsrus.com

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:28 - Jan 19 with 2459 viewsGlasgowBlue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:21 - Jan 19 by PJH

I met him once at one of the 'meet the players' evenings that the Club used to do for shareholders prior to ME take over.
I was getting the players autographs and Tommy Miller(I think) passed my sheet of paper or whatever on to Gary Roberts and I said "I don't want his"-he looked a bit bewildered and then we both laughed.
He did seem to be a very nice guy.

I met him at the end of season dinner in 2008 which was a tribute to Sir Bobby, and all the big names were there like Brazil and Wark.

When I was talking to Gary Roberts he seemed humble that anyone would bother talking to him in with so many legends in the room.

Shefki, ion the other hand, came across as an arrogant dick.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:29 - Jan 19 with 2451 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:17 - Jan 19 by tractorshark

Bajner....just for the chant

Shumi I liked but he never really delivered.

But the ultimate has got to be Sergei Baltacha.
I hero-worshipped that guy, bought an old-style CCCP replica shirt in homage and even painted a hammer and sickle on my inflatable, er, banana. (Those were the days).
But apart from his debut when he played totally out of position but scored, he was constantly injured and a shadow of the footballer he once was.
Even now, I look back fondly on his time at Ipswich despite the fact I know it was tosh.

I would guess that Sergei may have been slightly past his best when we signed him, but it was questionable management to sign a former top class sweeper & then not use him in that system.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:29 - Jan 19 with 2452 viewsHealysBackPocket

Colin Healy put in arguably the greatest central midfield performance of any town player past, present or future in the League Cup semi final. What a little beauty.

Big Frank Nouble and Balint Bajner spring to mind as well. I think there is a decent player somewhere inside Nouble but Bajner was just comedic from the word go.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:30 - Jan 19 with 2448 viewsgordon

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:18 - Jan 19 by hype313

He was awful.

I'd prefer Best.

Price
Uhlenbeek Thetis Youds Barron

Juan Bozinovski Peters

Guentchev Scotland Paz
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:31 - Jan 19 with 2434 viewsTractorCam

Jason Scotland (although I don't exactly think he was crap, nowhere near as good as expected)
Guriane N'Daw
Frank the Tank
Kevin Lisbie
Nicky Forster
Velice Sumulikoski

Could you count Chaplow, Hunt brothers and Reg in this? (Again I wouldn't, but I'm sure some would)

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:32 - Jan 19 with 2429 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:29 - Jan 19 by HealysBackPocket

Colin Healy put in arguably the greatest central midfield performance of any town player past, present or future in the League Cup semi final. What a little beauty.

Big Frank Nouble and Balint Bajner spring to mind as well. I think there is a decent player somewhere inside Nouble but Bajner was just comedic from the word go.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Nouble very much belongs in this thread. A terrible footballer who struck it lucky as a kid because he was built like a brick outhouse, but when others caught up physically was cruelly exposed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:34 - Jan 19 with 2408 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:29 - Jan 19 by HealysBackPocket

The performance that produced my favorite ever quote on here:

"Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy".

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:55 - Jan 19 with 2335 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

Stephen Hunt

I can't be having S Hunt on the list

Played 40+ games in the playoff season

I'd have him, tabby and Ando back in a heartbeat. They wouldn't have allowed the Lincoln embarrassment to have taken place.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:55 - Jan 19 with 2338 viewsdirtyboy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:44 - Jan 19 by jimsymBLUE

Gus Uhlenbeek, great fun!

Get ball
Punt it as far down the line as possible
Chase

Repeat.

He was great!
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 2332 viewsgordon

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:55 - Jan 19 by dirtyboy

Get ball
Punt it as far down the line as possible
Chase

Repeat.

He was great!

Were you there for the 5-0 hammering of WBA in 1997? On that day, it all came together for Gus, he was unplayable.
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:08 - Jan 19 with 2317 viewsLeoMuff

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:13 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

Priskin had one really good season at Watford in the Championship when Brendan Rogers realised he was very effective if they played the ball to his feet & used his pace. Then we signed him & lumped long balls at him, presumably because he was 6'1". Classic mismanagement.

12 goals in his "really good season" ... the guy had technique but couldn't finish.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:11 - Jan 19 with 2304 viewsRadlett_blue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:59 - Jan 19 by gordon

Were you there for the 5-0 hammering of WBA in 1997? On that day, it all came together for Gus, he was unplayable.

Gus also had a brilliant game - or half a game - at Watford. We went 2-0 down, GB sensibly moved Gus from RB to right midfield, he scored 1 & made 2 & we won 3-2.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:26 - Jan 19 with 2249 viewshorsehollerer

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:11 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

Gus also had a brilliant game - or half a game - at Watford. We went 2-0 down, GB sensibly moved Gus from RB to right midfield, he scored 1 & made 2 & we won 3-2.

I vaguely remember watching that game from near the halfway line. Was the away section along the side that year or am I imagining this?

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:29 - Jan 19 with 2228 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:26 - Jan 19 by horsehollerer

I vaguely remember watching that game from near the halfway line. Was the away section along the side that year or am I imagining this?

That's the game I was thinking of as soon as I saw his name mentioned, and yes, you are correct, we were along the side, and Gus was bombing down the side we were sitting.

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:42 - Jan 19 with 2189 viewsLankHenners

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 14:28 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

I met him at the end of season dinner in 2008 which was a tribute to Sir Bobby, and all the big names were there like Brazil and Wark.

When I was talking to Gary Roberts he seemed humble that anyone would bother talking to him in with so many legends in the room.

Shefki, ion the other hand, came across as an arrogant dick.

When Roberts signed for Portsmouth he said, unprompted, something along the lines of "it feels like I'm signing for a big club, just like when I signed for Ipswich earlier in my career". When we played them in the FA Cup last year I think someone asked him about getting stick from fans because you used to play for them to which he laughed and said "it's alright, I used to get stick when I did play for them!".

Comes across as a very decent bloke indeed.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 2179 viewshorsehollerer

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:29 - Jan 19 by hoppy

That's the game I was thinking of as soon as I saw his name mentioned, and yes, you are correct, we were along the side, and Gus was bombing down the side we were sitting.

TBH it was the "end product" part that really made me question whether or not it actually happened!

Altogether now.... Uhlenbeek, Uhlenbeek, running down the wing!

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:48 - Jan 19 with 2157 viewsbournemouthblue

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 13:48 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

I remember when ALB came on for his first match and the amount of support he got from the fans was amazing, despite him looking absolutely dreadful!

For me:
Matt Richards & Westie - Joe Royal was a fan of the latter, reckoned he was one of the fittest players he'd worked with (I think). I thought these two linked up very well for us, despite getting pelters off fans and going on to do nothing when they left us.

Sito - mentioned on a thread earlier. Seemed like a nice bloke and people liked him, despite him not doing much.

I'm amazed Westlake plumeted so quickly, he was very functional for us

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:51 - Jan 19 with 2148 viewsSwailsey

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 15:48 - Jan 19 by bournemouthblue

I'm amazed Westlake plumeted so quickly, he was very functional for us

From what I can gather it was an underlying injury that curtailed his professional career. He still plays very well locally doesn't he?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:04 - Jan 19 with 2109 viewsKeno

Steve McCall

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:31 - Jan 19 with 2072 viewsWoodsFriesRice

Claus Thomsen - The poor man's David Linighan

Poll: Which of these players (in their prime) would most help our present team?

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:33 - Jan 19 with 2067 viewschevblue

Ibrahima Sonko

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:41 - Jan 19 with 2038 viewsIpswichKnight

Geriant Williams - Gets ball, gives ball away, chases down player gives foul away, repeat for 90 mins. However was all worth it for the Williams from the half way line against Reading at the old Elm Park!

Speaking of that I do believe I remember Gus scoring a cracker there one year as well, back in the times when we used to beat Reading in Reading!
Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:42 - Jan 19 with 2033 viewshoppy

Favourite 'cr*p' players? on 16:31 - Jan 19 by WoodsFriesRice

Claus Thomsen - The poor man's David Linighan

Wasn't he our top scorer though, with 5 goals, in our relegation season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024