Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just in case no one's posted this already 14:05 - Jan 19 with 2211 viewsgiant_stow

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/story-george-burley-remarkable-ipswich-te

I'm not reading that sh1t, but yous fills ya boots.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:13 - Jan 19 with 2155 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

Brings a tear to my eye reading that.
just in case no one's posted this already on 14:31 - Jan 19 with 2115 viewsfactual_blue

No, because you're an norfukker and so can't read.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:32 - Jan 19 with 2111 viewsGeoffSentence

Reading the last bit of that it is almost like GB is angling for the job again.

Would he be interested in returning?

“I live in Ipswich now and I’m enjoying family life really. I’ve got family here and we’ve been here 22 years, so I’m enjoying life. I miss the coaching side of it, to be honest, and if something came up then maybe, but I’m happy here and I’ve got my roots all sorted here now.”

"I ask him if he regrets not having had the chance to have managed a side with a larger budget, having proved himself more than capable of getting results on a shoestring. But in keeping with the philosophy handed down to him by Sir Bobby Robson, he answers: “No, no, because that’s what I enjoyed: I’d rather bring a young player through at 17 and play him and work with him and bring him through than pay £10million for him, so I’m happy to do that.

“I get more pleasure from that than from having money to spend and just buying somebody. I’m proud of the players I’ve brought through, and I would put my record against anybody for bringing youngsters through in Britain."

Basically, "I like it in Ipswich", "if anything came up a I'd be interested" and "I can manage on no money"

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:38 - Jan 19 with 2082 viewsDoobDude

I've decided to forgive him for destroying our club. Water under the bridge now. He can come back as director of football with Kieron Dyer or Titus Bramble as Coach.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:50 - Jan 19 with 2046 viewsGunnsAirkick

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:32 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Reading the last bit of that it is almost like GB is angling for the job again.

Would he be interested in returning?

“I live in Ipswich now and I’m enjoying family life really. I’ve got family here and we’ve been here 22 years, so I’m enjoying life. I miss the coaching side of it, to be honest, and if something came up then maybe, but I’m happy here and I’ve got my roots all sorted here now.”

"I ask him if he regrets not having had the chance to have managed a side with a larger budget, having proved himself more than capable of getting results on a shoestring. But in keeping with the philosophy handed down to him by Sir Bobby Robson, he answers: “No, no, because that’s what I enjoyed: I’d rather bring a young player through at 17 and play him and work with him and bring him through than pay £10million for him, so I’m happy to do that.

“I get more pleasure from that than from having money to spend and just buying somebody. I’m proud of the players I’ve brought through, and I would put my record against anybody for bringing youngsters through in Britain."

Basically, "I like it in Ipswich", "if anything came up a I'd be interested" and "I can manage on no money"

He has a rich history of blooding youth and made his debut at 17. Even if it's not as Manager/Head Coach I'd love him at the club in an advisory role.

EDIT:

I'm always confused by the title "Director of Football" (see Wiki article, quite broad) but I think George fits in perfectly for the philosophy side of it. Also he has been out of the game for a bit but must still have contacts having worked for some large clubs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_football
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 14:54]
just in case no one's posted this already on 14:52 - Jan 19 with 2038 viewsRadlett_blue

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:38 - Jan 19 by DoobDude

I've decided to forgive him for destroying our club. Water under the bridge now. He can come back as director of football with Kieron Dyer or Titus Bramble as Coach.

Titus as defensive coach, Kieron as fitness coach presumably?
All we need is Keane back as sports psychologist & we're sorted.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:56 - Jan 19 with 2011 viewsgiant_stow

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:38 - Jan 19 by DoobDude

[spits tea over keyboard] Spluttery WTF?!! You feeling ok?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:08 - Jan 19 with 1975 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:31 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

Erm...was that aimed at me? Because actually, i'm not! Just happen to live near Diss after spending the last 25 of my 30-odd years in Suffolk, having been born to 3rd generation Suffolk parents. Probably more Suffolk than you!
Login to get fewer ads

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:15 - Jan 19 with 1949 viewsm14_blue

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:08 - Jan 19 by NORFOLK_BLUE

Erm...was that aimed at me? Because actually, i'm not! Just happen to live near Diss after spending the last 25 of my 30-odd years in Suffolk, having been born to 3rd generation Suffolk parents. Probably more Suffolk than you!

Aimed at the budgie who tweeted the OP I assume.......
just in case no one's posted this already on 15:18 - Jan 19 with 1932 viewsGeoffSentence

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:08 - Jan 19 by NORFOLK_BLUE

Nah, Facters aimed that squarely at ullah who is a budgie. Stand easy.

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:22 - Jan 19 with 1909 viewsgiant_stow

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:18 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Nah, Facters aimed that squarely at ullah who is a budgie. Stand easy.

Ulla*A* - blimey!

Don't worry Norfolk-blue - Factual comes from Ixworth and as everyone knows, that's a proper metropolis.

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:23 - Jan 19 with 1893 viewschicoazul

giant_ullaa is a blue
is a blue
is a blue
giant_ullaa is a blue
he loves Ipswich

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:25 - Jan 19 with 1882 viewsGeoffSentence

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:22 - Jan 19 by giant_stow

Ulla*A* - blimey!

Don't worry Norfolk-blue - Factual comes from Ixworth and as everyone knows, that's a proper metropolis.

Sorry about the spelling, I was confused by the Thai wife of an acquaintance of mine, she spells her name Ullah.

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:26 - Jan 19 with 1872 viewsgiant_stow

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:25 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Sorry about the spelling, I was confused by the Thai wife of an acquaintance of mine, she spells her name Ullah.

Really? That interesting - I know it as a name from Finland.

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:26 - Jan 19 with 1868 viewsgiant_stow

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:23 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

giant_ullaa is a blue
is a blue
is a blue
giant_ullaa is a blue
he loves Ipswich

bollox - I just thought you all needing cheering up.

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:46 - Jan 19 with 1840 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

just in case no one's posted this already on 14:31 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

Sorry! Jumped in a bit quicker there!
just in case no one's posted this already on 15:57 - Jan 19 with 1806 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Rose tinted spectacles, I am afraid.

Yes, Burley built a good side and played some decent football, but often let the fans down - e.g. three successive play off defeats. That 2000-01 season was a revelation, and will stick in the memory for a long time, but the gloss was taken off it in that the club's overachievement was at the root of its decline, near collapse and current predicament.

So much for Burley's comments that he didn't like spending money. In 2001-02 he brought in a succession of overpaid show ponies (Finidi George, Ulrich Le Pen et al) and then completely lost the dressing room by November of the first season after relegation.

I doubt Burley knows enough about the game now, or has contacts, for a new challenge.

What we probably do need, however, is another young manager like Burley was in the mid 90s, learning his trade but with a penchant for playing good football.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 15:58]
just in case no one's posted this already on 15:57 - Jan 19 with 1804 viewshoppy

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:26 - Jan 19 by giant_stow

Really? That interesting - I know it as a name from Finland.

Fingerland you say?

That figures...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:59 - Jan 19 with 1786 viewsgiant_stow

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:57 - Jan 19 by hoppy

Fingerland you say?

That figures...

fishfingerland.

just in case no one's posted this already on 16:02 - Jan 19 with 1766 viewshoppy

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:59 - Jan 19 by giant_stow

fishfingerland.

Did you mean Sixfingerland?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

just in case no one's posted this already on 16:33 - Jan 19 with 1711 viewsbournemouthblue

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:57 - Jan 19 by OxfordTH_1981

Yes, Burley built a good side and played some decent football, but often let the fans down - e.g. three successive play off defeats. That 2000-01 season was a revelation, and will stick in the memory for a long time, but the gloss was taken off it in that the club's overachievement was at the root of its decline, near collapse and current predicament.

So much for Burley's comments that he didn't like spending money. In 2001-02 he brought in a succession of overpaid show ponies (Finidi George, Ulrich Le Pen et al) and then completely lost the dressing room by November of the first season after relegation.

I doubt Burley knows enough about the game now, or has contacts, for a new challenge.

What we probably do need, however, is another young manager like Burley was in the mid 90s, learning his trade but with a penchant for playing good football.

Good football is one thing but we do need a tactically astute manager able to make changes during games when they are required.

MM is guilty of a very conservative approach. We are reasonably good at holding out leads but horrendous at turning games around when we are chasing a game.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

just in case no one's posted this already on 16:36 - Jan 19 with 1702 viewsCaptainObvious

just in case no one's posted this already on 15:57 - Jan 19 by OxfordTH_1981

if three playoff defeats in three years is letting the fans down, what is one scraped into the playoffs defeat in 12 years doing to them?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024