Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick's interview honest as ever 18:17 - Jan 19 with 3410 viewsLuk38644

He's spot on regarding us being a mid-table side with our budget and I think we can all acknowledge that the play-off season was mainly because Mick found a way to get us to overachieve. I still feel sorry for Mick not being given a proper budget back in January 2015 and again in that summer.

It seems the case is as we expected it, he's here for the next 4 months and will probably decide to leave in the summer and in some ways, that's actually good for us.

If we were to sack Mick now, yes, we'd be shot of Mick, but with the danger of relegation still there, I could see ME appointing another experienced Championship manager to steady the ship and get us settled for the summer (not many better managers to do that than Mick).

If (I could see him staying on if he was promised more money) we were to part ways with Mick in the summer, I would hope we would appoint someone young and ambitious early in the summer and give them something to work with and build on for a few months before the league starts.

Yes, it means that the next 4 months will be flat and we will have nothing to actually excite us and the season ticket renewals would worry me if the club led us to believe Mick would be here beyond the summer, but for the future of the club, it's a better scenario (if ME gets it right which is a whole different kettle of fish).
Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:23 - Jan 19 with 2612 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I think the latest comments have told us everything we need to know for now - that there will be no change until the end of the season and that we won't know if any such change will occur until then. In the meantime, if Mick is going to be here for the rest of the campaign, I absolutely want to hear that Marcus Evans is still firmly behind him.

To me, the biggest thing to come out of our struggles in the past 18 months is that Mick is part, but only part, of the problem. I worry somewhat that we realised our ceiling in 2014/15 with the budget Evans is offering and that the question if Mick were to go is whether Marcus could find anybody prepared to put up with that budget who could actually do any better. I'm still not convinced at the moment - not that this means we have to stick with Mick regardless, because I think things are beginning to reach a natural conclusion with him.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 18:23]
Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:26 - Jan 19 with 2577 viewsSitfcB

His interview on the ESPN feature is brilliant also.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:26 - Jan 19 with 2563 viewsWestSussexBlue

He'll go I'm sure but leave us 10-12 weeks only before a new season begins.
Identify the new man NOW, pay Mick and Tc off and give ourselves 6 months of planning and overhaul not 60 odd days.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:29 - Jan 19 with 2540 viewsLuk38644

Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:26 - Jan 19 by WestSussexBlue

Identify the new man NOW, pay Mick and Tc off and give ourselves 6 months of planning and overhaul not 60 odd days.

Nothing stopping ME looking for a new boss now while leaving Mick in charge to steady the ship one last time.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:30 - Jan 19 with 2535 viewsLuk38644

Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:23 - Jan 19 by NoCanariesAllowed

I think the latest comments have told us everything we need to know for now - that there will be no change until the end of the season and that we won't know if any such change will occur until then. In the meantime, if Mick is going to be here for the rest of the campaign, I absolutely want to hear that Marcus Evans is still firmly behind him.

To me, the biggest thing to come out of our struggles in the past 18 months is that Mick is part, but only part, of the problem. I worry somewhat that we realised our ceiling in 2014/15 with the budget Evans is offering and that the question if Mick were to go is whether Marcus could find anybody prepared to put up with that budget who could actually do any better. I'm still not convinced at the moment - not that this means we have to stick with Mick regardless, because I think things are beginning to reach a natural conclusion with him.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 18:23]

I've always said that I'd be worried if Mick was to go and leave us in the Championship because ME's track record of appointing managers is, frankly, not very good, and we could go all the way back to square one with the wrong appointment.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:35 - Jan 19 with 2537 viewsJohnny_Boy

We are a mid-table side. We totally over achieved by getting to the play-offs, plus had more than a few slices of luck with Derby imploding & Murphy's freak goal tally rocketing us there.

Shame it's taken him 3yrs to be truly honest with us. He was towing the party line to get a contract extension.....and was more than happy to appease M.E. till the fans turned on him, then after initially saying he's got all the money at his disposal, he's now struggling to find a bean.

He was happy with all the accolades/praise when operating on a shoestring, now that's his excuse when things aren't going well.

Apologies, but why are we feeling sorry for him again?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 21:47]
Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:18 - Jan 19 with 2427 viewsflimflam

I'm really torn as when I listen to MM I agree with everything he says and value his honesty and integrity. He would have been hurting as much as any of us after Tuesday.
MM as a person is not in question for me but he just seems like a rabbit in headlights at the moment.
I am in the we need a new manager and a new start camp but would also like nothing more than for MM to turn things rounds and get everyone back onside.
Its a massive ask but Tuesday may have been the kick up the arse the players and staff needed.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 19:19]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:34 - Jan 19 with 2355 viewsRammo

I have to say I totally agree with you, I'd also add that if we get rid of him now without having a replacement lined up we waste what little is left of the transfer window to change things for the incoming manager. If he was to have gone then you need to do it at the beginning of January not now!

We are much better waiting until the end of the season, an amicable parting of the ways and then looking for a up and coming young manager.

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:35 - Jan 19 with 2350 viewsMark

But Milne told the Supporters' Club AGM that the wages Ipswich pay are upper quartile of the Championship. Upper quartile is top six.

Regardless of money, I still expect ITFC to be able to pass the ball.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:37 - Jan 19 with 2339 viewsFtnfwest

I'm even more concerned now that a manager who's presided over several (not just one) humiliations against lower division/non league teams is actually dictating when he'll leave. I suppose it's natural enough in the situation because Evans has no idea what to do anyway.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:52 - Jan 19 with 2261 viewsKeaneish

I don't buy into the budget vs attainable league position. In truth, after losing to a non-league side, it's pretty dire from Mick to state you pay for what you get. Plenty of managers have spent little and done well playing good football. Sadly, everyone seems to swallow it these days like it's just how it is. If that's the case, why are Norwich and Villa mid-table? How has Gary Monk made Leeds a force with few signings? How has Wagner got Huddersfield where they are by selling their best players? Sides have gone up spending little and sides have gone down with parachute payments.

We've been sleep walking to the beat of this drum for 3 years or so now. Time to wake up.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:59 - Jan 19 with 2212 viewsFtnfwest

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:52 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

I don't buy into the budget vs attainable league position. In truth, after losing to a non-league side, it's pretty dire from Mick to state you pay for what you get. Plenty of managers have spent little and done well playing good football. Sadly, everyone seems to swallow it these days like it's just how it is. If that's the case, why are Norwich and Villa mid-table? How has Gary Monk made Leeds a force with few signings? How has Wagner got Huddersfield where they are by selling their best players? Sides have gone up spending little and sides have gone down with parachute payments.

We've been sleep walking to the beat of this drum for 3 years or so now. Time to wake up.

There's clearly a problem with Evans, a non footballing person, determining what a fair valuation for a player is if that's really true but to take the 14/15 situation - as I recall it was Mick who said at the time he couldn't within reason replace or supplement any of the players he had with anything better from elsewhere. So it's wrong to say Evans prevented him strengthening the squad on that occasion.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:04 - Jan 19 with 2187 viewsKeaneish

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:59 - Jan 19 by Ftnfwest

There's clearly a problem with Evans, a non footballing person, determining what a fair valuation for a player is if that's really true but to take the 14/15 situation - as I recall it was Mick who said at the time he couldn't within reason replace or supplement any of the players he had with anything better from elsewhere. So it's wrong to say Evans prevented him strengthening the squad on that occasion.

Response to the wrong post I think.

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:08 - Jan 19 with 2167 viewsFtnfwest

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:04 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

Response to the wrong post I think.

No trying to reinforce your points really but ended up waffling, sorry. I just can't believe nothing's going to happen about this situation though
Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:08 - Jan 19 with 2166 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:37 - Jan 19 by Ftnfwest

I'm even more concerned now that a manager who's presided over several (not just one) humiliations against lower division/non league teams is actually dictating when he'll leave. I suppose it's natural enough in the situation because Evans has no idea what to do anyway.

He's not though is he. He's basically saying the fans won't be deciding. Which is no bad thing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:22 - Jan 19 with 2102 viewsGuthrum

Mick's interview honest as ever on 19:52 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

Leeds signed or loaned 11 players in the summer, for fees of up to £3m. Huddersfield also brought 11 players in, one for a fee of £1.8m. That may have some bearing on how those teams have done so well.

Norwich and Villa are mid-table because even big money and Prem-remnant squads don't guarantee success, can't overcome poor management. But having that disposable income improves their chances.

And losing to a cheaply-acquired non-League side in a Cup tie is not indicative thet they could beat us, or other sides in the Championship, every week.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:34 - Jan 19 with 2056 viewsKeaneish

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:22 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Leeds signed or loaned 11 players in the summer, for fees of up to £3m. Huddersfield also brought 11 players in, one for a fee of £1.8m. That may have some bearing on how those teams have done so well.

Norwich and Villa are mid-table because even big money and Prem-remnant squads don't guarantee success, can't overcome poor management. But having that disposable income improves their chances.

And losing to a cheaply-acquired non-League side in a Cup tie is not indicative thet they could beat us, or other sides in the Championship, every week.

Think you just proved my point. 1.8 million - 3 million isn't beyond us. Money does improve your chances but, as my point shows, equally it doesn't. And yes, a conference side wouldn't be able to beat us each week in the championship but that wasn't the point.

None of your points suggest that the level of budget you have dictates where you'll finish. Why not? It's a phallacy yet it's almost a given now to cut Mick slack. Not buying it and I find it staggering that so many do. The budget is competitive. Our performances over the last 2 years haven't been.

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:42 - Jan 19 with 2011 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:22 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Like someone I watched the game with said shocks happen when the opposition score against the run of play and hang on. Name me another time a non league team completely outclassed championship opposition TWICE??

The bottom line is if we were playing Lincoln again tomorrow would any of us be surprised if it happened again, no because we play with no structure or game plan.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:44 - Jan 19 with 2009 viewsVic

Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:35 - Jan 19 by Johnny_Boy

We are a mid-table side. We totally over achieved by getting to the play-offs, plus had more than a few slices of luck with Derby imploding & Murphy's freak goal tally rocketing us there.

Shame it's taken him 3yrs to be truly honest with us. He was towing the party line to get a contract extension.....and was more than happy to appease M.E. till the fans turned on him, then after initially saying he's got all the money at his disposal, he's now struggling to find a bean.

He was happy with all the accolades/praise when operating on a shoestring, now that's his excuse when things aren't going well.

Apologies, but why are we feeling sorry for him again?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 21:47]

I don't often say this - but that's rubbish in my opinion. I think Mick has always been as honest as he can realistically be as a football manager. Something's you just can't say as it will upset the bigger picture.

And with regards to him just wanting a contract extension - really? You think he needs the money or that if he'd have walked from here earlier he wouldn't have got another job? He's one of the best at what he does and with more money he'd have done better here.

I feel sorry for him because people like you are giving him such a hard time. That said, fwiw, I think he should and will go in the summer.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:59 - Jan 19 with 1942 viewsFtnfwest

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:08 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

He's not though is he. He's basically saying the fans won't be deciding. Which is no bad thing.

Nothing like another pop at us eh? No he's right it'll be Evans who hasn't a clue
Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:09 - Jan 19 with 1918 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nicely reasoned post. And agree with concerns of ME's future appointments - ME would probably proudly unveil a former PL manager, a Brit who successfully worked In the lower leagues, so has seen it all as a manager, and has top experience as a player, like....

...Paul Ince

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:43 - Jan 19 with 1836 viewsJohnny_Boy

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:44 - Jan 19 by Vic

I don't often say this - but that's rubbish in my opinion. I think Mick has always been as honest as he can realistically be as a football manager. Something's you just can't say as it will upset the bigger picture.

And with regards to him just wanting a contract extension - really? You think he needs the money or that if he'd have walked from here earlier he wouldn't have got another job? He's one of the best at what he does and with more money he'd have done better here.

I feel sorry for him because people like you are giving him such a hard time. That said, fwiw, I think he should and will go in the summer.

What was that now infamous quote by MM last season?

(Paraphrasing)
'There isn't anyone currently or financially available that could improve this squad'

That was a bold face fib. That flew against facts & any form of realism - in order to defend M.E. & his meagre transfer budget.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:46 - Jan 19 with 1814 viewsRyorry

Mick's interview honest as ever on 20:44 - Jan 19 by Vic

"You think he needs the money or that if he'd have walked from here earlier he wouldn't have got another job?"

So why, for what reason, do you think he didn't resign after Tues night then?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:49 - Jan 19 with 1789 viewsJohnny_Boy

Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:46 - Jan 19 by Ryorry

"You think he needs the money or that if he'd have walked from here earlier he wouldn't have got another job?"

So why, for what reason, do you think he didn't resign after Tues night then?

PJ was a proud man. Least he was able to walk away.
Mick's interview honest as ever on 21:56 - Jan 19 with 1745 views3_5_2

Mick's interview honest as ever on 18:26 - Jan 19 by WestSussexBlue

Good plan but we have to know what division we will be in

MM " should" keep us up, in his own way. It wont be pretty, maybe win one, draw one, lose one, Etc. but get us over the line then go off with a years pay on his terms. Some respect intact

Him staying longer than that will see season tickets fall like a stone.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024