Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job 19:57 - Jan 19 with 6913 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/454211/mick-mccarthy-should-have-walked-awa

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:02 - Jan 19 with 5311 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't remember that being his opinion when criticising Keane!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:17 - Jan 19 with 5197 viewsSuperfrans

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:02 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

Don't remember that being his opinion when criticising Keane!

That's possibly because Keane was given money. And didn't raise anything significant through sales, that I remember.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:18 - Jan 19 with 5178 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:17 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

That's possibly because Keane was given money. And didn't raise anything significant through sales, that I remember.

Very good point.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:18 - Jan 19 with 5183 viewsSuperfrans

This is going to be sour problem, post-McCarthy - battling against the perception that it's a poisoned chalice. And, of course, that's not just because the new person will get very limited funds, but also because the first season there are problems, the fans could turn.

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:27 - Jan 19 with 5095 viewspowinswitch

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:18 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

This is going to be sour problem, post-McCarthy - battling against the perception that it's a poisoned chalice. And, of course, that's not just because the new person will get very limited funds, but also because the first season there are problems, the fans could turn.

I have to be honest, for me this is not about the results. It's about the way we set up to not lose. We simply go out to stop the opposition. We don't have very much creative football, and haven't all season, of course injuries have played a part and he has been unlucky in that. But if you check the fixtures page, you will see there were games when Skuse and Douglas started, while Bru, Williams, Dozzell and/or Bishop were on the bench. For me his style is negative more often than not. Get in a manager who plays football and I genuinely think the mood of the fans will change significantly.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:41 - Jan 19 with 4997 viewsLamby95

'Mick has never been out of work for too long and maybe he is guilty of not choosing wisely when it came to Ipswich – but he’s the type of personality who loves a battle.'

This section I don't get. At the time MM probably could have taken a job with a team higher up the table but after turning us around his stock was even higher. Up until around March last year he was doing a very good job and he contradicts the point he is trying to make
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:56 - Jan 19 with 4900 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:17 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

And because Keane and Cascarino are far from friends!
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:57 - Jan 19 with 4887 viewsKeaneish

Scumbag writing for a scumbag establishment. I'd prefer if both the names of Cascarino as and The Sun were never on this board again. The man's a cartoon.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:05 - Jan 19 with 4821 viewschristiand

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:27 - Jan 19 by powinswitch

I have to be honest, for me this is not about the results. It's about the way we set up to not lose. We simply go out to stop the opposition. We don't have very much creative football, and haven't all season, of course injuries have played a part and he has been unlucky in that. But if you check the fixtures page, you will see there were games when Skuse and Douglas started, while Bru, Williams, Dozzell and/or Bishop were on the bench. For me his style is negative more often than not. Get in a manager who plays football and I genuinely think the mood of the fans will change significantly.

Powinswitch you are spot on! The way we play is so limited. It's hilarious how we lose someone like Darryl Murphy and still continue to launch it forwards to someone like Pitman thinking he will do the same job? I certainly sympathise with MM regarding the limited funds from ME, to me it's like a token effort from Evans....here's a little bit, but no more and I want change! But there is no excuse for some of MM's tactics, style of play and selections that's nothing to do with finances. I agree with your post, if we got a manager and coaching staff in who would encourage a more expansive style of football, the fans will begin to return to Portman road.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:13 - Jan 19 with 4738 viewsRyorry

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:27 - Jan 19 by powinswitch

As many on here have been saying for months, we do have the semblance of a decent squad, esp before Webster & Pitman got injured, but they haven't been used effectively.

To tweak an old saying a bit - it's not what you say Mr. McCarthy, it's the way that you play it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:23 - Jan 19 with 4661 viewsRyorry

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:18 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

"This is going to be sour problem, post-McCarthy"

If "sour" wasn't intended there, it was a pretty neat & apt Freudian slip!
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 21:39]

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:23 - Jan 19 with 4659 viewsSuperfrans

I accept that to a point. But for much of the past few months, there have been attempts to play a different way. At the start of the season, we were clearly trying to play the ball on the ground more. And in the past month, the 352 matches - vs QPR and Blackburn.

On several occasions, I've stood in the SBRL hearing people shouting to "get the ball forward" while we're trying to pass the ball around, and the chants of "you're football is sh!t" during those games.

So, I've read lots of people saying "it's all about the football", but lots of evidence to the contrary. (Not referring to you, btw)

It's also very easy to be wise after the event. Dozzell, Kenlock and Emmanuel have only just started to come into the first team now. Dozzell has apparently benefitted from training with the first team for six months, which means he now seems more ready than he would have been at the start of the season.

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:30 - Jan 19 with 4614 viewsElderGrizzly

He once compared Arsenal's defending to Nazi genocide.

I think he's best ignored, but good of Mick's buddies to try and defend him 🙄
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:43 - Jan 19 with 4497 viewsRyorry

Another source of pain on Tues night was the thought of Keane watching & laughing his socks off.

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:46 - Jan 19 with 4472 viewsTrequartista

Has Cascarino given back the caps he fraudulently won yet?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 23:59 - Jan 19 with 4193 viewspointofblue

Yes, Cascarino is right - we can't cope against the financial might of Lincoln.

Do these so called pundits actually read what they're 'writing'/listen to what they're saying? I fully appreciate arguments over budgets (though as a group they completely ignore fifth place Huddersfield on a much tighter leash than ourselves) but that doesn't excuse the complete and utter shambles we served up not once but twice against non-league opposition in the space of ten days.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 04:26 - Jan 20 with 4035 viewspowinswitch

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:23 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

I accept that to a point. But for much of the past few months, there have been attempts to play a different way. At the start of the season, we were clearly trying to play the ball on the ground more. And in the past month, the 352 matches - vs QPR and Blackburn.

On several occasions, I've stood in the SBRL hearing people shouting to "get the ball forward" while we're trying to pass the ball around, and the chants of "you're football is sh!t" during those games.

So, I've read lots of people saying "it's all about the football", but lots of evidence to the contrary. (Not referring to you, btw)

It's also very easy to be wise after the event. Dozzell, Kenlock and Emmanuel have only just started to come into the first team now. Dozzell has apparently benefitted from training with the first team for six months, which means he now seems more ready than he would have been at the start of the season.

Equally, I accept your reply to a point. I agree there have been attempts to play football at times and the games you quote vs QPR (a) and Blackburn are examples. Where this falls down includes:

16 Aug to 15 Oct. 11 games, with each seeing Skuse and Douglas in midfield. 4 goals scored. 4! Teddy Bishop was on the bench for 9 of those games.

Johnny Williams, an undoubted exciting, attacking flair player was definitely available from mid October to mid December. He started once. I understand he needed to be eased back in, but once. For me he transformed the way we played at Sheff Wednesday when he came on if I recall at half time. That was at the start of November, so why was he not starting games for another month

Grant Ward. I watch him closely. Definite talent, as revealed by his early form. This has tailed off dramatically. He has lost a lot of confidence and for me he has been over coached. Watch him look to the dugout when he is playing on the right and we are attacking the Churchmans. They are constantly giving him instructions. He is infinitely better when attacking the north, as he doesn't have MM and TC in his ear.

QPR (a). You correctly identify this as a good game, one where we passed much better and played some attractive football. But McCarthy could not help himself and when we were in the ascendency brought on Douglas for Bru, instead of Dozzell. Then boogate kicked off.

2016 in general, and the start of 2017. The last 12 months or so have seen us play some atrocious football. Revisit the results since our opening fixture of 2016 away to Burnley, a hard fought 0-0 draw (I was there). Reflect on our football in that time. We have been knocked out of the cups three times by Pompey, Stevenage and Lincoln City. The difference in their budgets to ours, reveals that money is not the issue. Pompey and Lincoln both outplayed us.

He has tried to play more attractive football at times. But at his core, he is a manager who stops the opposition first and playing football that excites as an afterthought. Bring in the antithesis of that, and you will start the process of attracting fans back.

Your other points about fans inane shouting about getting it forward. Yeah I hear that and despair. The shouts about your football is sh1t Well actually it is. Not every game I acknowledge, but far, far too often. He needs to go. In my opinion it is overdue, and waiting for the end of the season is not the answer.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 05:36 - Jan 20 with 3993 viewsBenters

Well i think he should have gone by now to be honest.

Why do we have to give him until the end of the season,then wait for him to decide ?

Many on here have said his style of football is sh1t and mostly it has been.

Yes he saved us from the drop,yes we made the playoffs,but by fk we are paying for it now !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 06:24 - Jan 20 with 3928 viewsTLA

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 04:26 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

Equally, I accept your reply to a point. I agree there have been attempts to play football at times and the games you quote vs QPR (a) and Blackburn are examples. Where this falls down includes:

16 Aug to 15 Oct. 11 games, with each seeing Skuse and Douglas in midfield. 4 goals scored. 4! Teddy Bishop was on the bench for 9 of those games.

Johnny Williams, an undoubted exciting, attacking flair player was definitely available from mid October to mid December. He started once. I understand he needed to be eased back in, but once. For me he transformed the way we played at Sheff Wednesday when he came on if I recall at half time. That was at the start of November, so why was he not starting games for another month

Grant Ward. I watch him closely. Definite talent, as revealed by his early form. This has tailed off dramatically. He has lost a lot of confidence and for me he has been over coached. Watch him look to the dugout when he is playing on the right and we are attacking the Churchmans. They are constantly giving him instructions. He is infinitely better when attacking the north, as he doesn't have MM and TC in his ear.

QPR (a). You correctly identify this as a good game, one where we passed much better and played some attractive football. But McCarthy could not help himself and when we were in the ascendency brought on Douglas for Bru, instead of Dozzell. Then boogate kicked off.

2016 in general, and the start of 2017. The last 12 months or so have seen us play some atrocious football. Revisit the results since our opening fixture of 2016 away to Burnley, a hard fought 0-0 draw (I was there). Reflect on our football in that time. We have been knocked out of the cups three times by Pompey, Stevenage and Lincoln City. The difference in their budgets to ours, reveals that money is not the issue. Pompey and Lincoln both outplayed us.

He has tried to play more attractive football at times. But at his core, he is a manager who stops the opposition first and playing football that excites as an afterthought. Bring in the antithesis of that, and you will start the process of attracting fans back.

Your other points about fans inane shouting about getting it forward. Yeah I hear that and despair. The shouts about your football is sh1t Well actually it is. Not every game I acknowledge, but far, far too often. He needs to go. In my opinion it is overdue, and waiting for the end of the season is not the answer.

You make some really good points and my response is not a defence of Mick, just an alternative view.

When he had resources comparable to the rest of the division at Sunderland and Wolves, his teams were direct but exciting, scored loads and entertained, as well as being successful.

He's kept us competitive, in spite of that parity of resources not being the case. Whilst I think things have gone too far to not make a change, I don't necessarily agree that a manager with an attacking approach would automatically bring back fans. Holloway would fit that description but he lost 5 of his first 6 games at QPR - I think if someone came here and did that, the crowds and mood would not be better, just because of a more attacking philosophy. Conversely, if we brought in someone like Rowett and the football remained similar to now but we won five out of six, the crowds and mood would improve.

From the outside, I think people would think that us being mid-table (with our resources), not having lost consecutive league games all season and with nine points from the last fifteen, sacking the manager might seem harsh.

I guess the point is, better football with poorer results would not attract fans back - we're in deeper than that now.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 06:47 - Jan 20 with 3863 viewspowinswitch

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 06:24 - Jan 20 by TLA

You make some really good points and my response is not a defence of Mick, just an alternative view.

When he had resources comparable to the rest of the division at Sunderland and Wolves, his teams were direct but exciting, scored loads and entertained, as well as being successful.

He's kept us competitive, in spite of that parity of resources not being the case. Whilst I think things have gone too far to not make a change, I don't necessarily agree that a manager with an attacking approach would automatically bring back fans. Holloway would fit that description but he lost 5 of his first 6 games at QPR - I think if someone came here and did that, the crowds and mood would not be better, just because of a more attacking philosophy. Conversely, if we brought in someone like Rowett and the football remained similar to now but we won five out of six, the crowds and mood would improve.

From the outside, I think people would think that us being mid-table (with our resources), not having lost consecutive league games all season and with nine points from the last fifteen, sacking the manager might seem harsh.

I guess the point is, better football with poorer results would not attract fans back - we're in deeper than that now.

You also make some fair points. I would suggest however that Burley and Royle both worked with a lack of resources. One made it to the premier after a number of years of good efforts but not quite doing it. The other never quite got us to the 'promised land'. But both forged attractive teams, playing football the right way. They both attracted a large fan base because the football was great.

McCarthy will never achieve the attractive football here, on the budget he has. He just can't do that. But Lincoln City can, and Pompey. Look at their fan bases. And check out their budgets. It's the philosophy and is the difference between pints half full and half empty. Mick's football style is awful.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:12 - Jan 20 with 3814 viewsTLA

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 06:47 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

You also make some fair points. I would suggest however that Burley and Royle both worked with a lack of resources. One made it to the premier after a number of years of good efforts but not quite doing it. The other never quite got us to the 'promised land'. But both forged attractive teams, playing football the right way. They both attracted a large fan base because the football was great.

McCarthy will never achieve the attractive football here, on the budget he has. He just can't do that. But Lincoln City can, and Pompey. Look at their fan bases. And check out their budgets. It's the philosophy and is the difference between pints half full and half empty. Mick's football style is awful.

This is the kind of discussion I enjoy!

I won't argue about the style - I remember the game at MK Dons in December 2015 and, in spite of an energetic start and a win, I hated what I watched for about 80 minutes that day. It hasn't been better very often since then.

However, Burley had a very comparative budget to the rest of the division. The outlay for Johnson and Holland was large at the time and he got to spend a lot of the Dyer fee on Stewart, Wright and a few others. McCarthy might well have achieved a similar result in those circumstances. It also took 5 years, time which he was given, and we had very recently been a top tier team. I love Burley and the way we played but the point is just for the purpose of debate.

I also think McCarthy might have done something similar to Royle (who I also loved). They were probably both regarded as not 'Ipswich' managers when they took over but Royle had a very good premier league squad for a while. When it gradually broke up, he could do no more than Mick is able to now.

For me, our circumstances are more a product of the ridiculous finances in the game than anything else. I would welcome change of ownership and manager but I can't see who would take charge. That leaves any new manager in a similar position and it would amaze me if we can find someone playing good football and getting us towards the top of the table with our resources. Not impossible and I will continue to dream.

I still maintain that good results will attract fans back quicker than good football but poor results.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:22 - Jan 20 with 3778 viewspowinswitch

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:12 - Jan 20 by TLA

This is the kind of discussion I enjoy!

I won't argue about the style - I remember the game at MK Dons in December 2015 and, in spite of an energetic start and a win, I hated what I watched for about 80 minutes that day. It hasn't been better very often since then.

However, Burley had a very comparative budget to the rest of the division. The outlay for Johnson and Holland was large at the time and he got to spend a lot of the Dyer fee on Stewart, Wright and a few others. McCarthy might well have achieved a similar result in those circumstances. It also took 5 years, time which he was given, and we had very recently been a top tier team. I love Burley and the way we played but the point is just for the purpose of debate.

I also think McCarthy might have done something similar to Royle (who I also loved). They were probably both regarded as not 'Ipswich' managers when they took over but Royle had a very good premier league squad for a while. When it gradually broke up, he could do no more than Mick is able to now.

For me, our circumstances are more a product of the ridiculous finances in the game than anything else. I would welcome change of ownership and manager but I can't see who would take charge. That leaves any new manager in a similar position and it would amaze me if we can find someone playing good football and getting us towards the top of the table with our resources. Not impossible and I will continue to dream.

I still maintain that good results will attract fans back quicker than good football but poor results.

I too enjoy the discussion. Would be better over a few pints of ale. Unfortunately I now have to go to work. May rejoin this later. We agree on most things, and I think nearly everybody on here is passionate about the club. I can't believe those who still want to retain McCarthy, but they have their reasons. I do though abhor the very small number who come on here and excuse his football. You may feel that we face a greater risk of relegation if we sack him now, rather than go for a change in the summer. I don't agree, and in fact I would risk relegation as I think we would come back stronger. Like Southampton, Leicester and Nodge. The latter had to cut Bryan Gunn and bring in Lambert to change things. We need something similar.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:37 - Jan 20 with 3737 viewsPinewoodblue

To suggest Mick should have walked sooner suggests that he is about to, or at least in thinking about it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 08:18 - Jan 20 with 3660 viewsvapour_trail

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:22 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

I too enjoy the discussion. Would be better over a few pints of ale. Unfortunately I now have to go to work. May rejoin this later. We agree on most things, and I think nearly everybody on here is passionate about the club. I can't believe those who still want to retain McCarthy, but they have their reasons. I do though abhor the very small number who come on here and excuse his football. You may feel that we face a greater risk of relegation if we sack him now, rather than go for a change in the summer. I don't agree, and in fact I would risk relegation as I think we would come back stronger. Like Southampton, Leicester and Nodge. The latter had to cut Bryan Gunn and bring in Lambert to change things. We need something similar.

Don't agree with the relegation point. There's no guarantee you bounce. See Coventry, pompey and Sheffield Utd.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 09:13 - Jan 20 with 3537 viewsHoppersblue10

Couldn't have put it better!

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024