Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job 19:57 - Jan 19 with 6886 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/454211/mick-mccarthy-should-have-walked-awa

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 09:17 - Jan 20 with 1525 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:30 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

He once compared Arsenal's defending to Nazi genocide.

I think he's best ignored, but good of Mick's buddies to try and defend him 🙄

A bit like you defending Milne & Evans?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 10:16 - Jan 20 with 1488 viewsTLA

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 07:22 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

I too enjoy the discussion. Would be better over a few pints of ale. Unfortunately I now have to go to work. May rejoin this later. We agree on most things, and I think nearly everybody on here is passionate about the club. I can't believe those who still want to retain McCarthy, but they have their reasons. I do though abhor the very small number who come on here and excuse his football. You may feel that we face a greater risk of relegation if we sack him now, rather than go for a change in the summer. I don't agree, and in fact I would risk relegation as I think we would come back stronger. Like Southampton, Leicester and Nodge. The latter had to cut Bryan Gunn and bring in Lambert to change things. We need something similar.

Maybe discussing things over a few pints is what lots of us need! I really don't mind different view points when there's a bit of respect.

Personally, I'd still have a season ticket if we went down and would enjoy a new football landscape - I actually think that financially, we might find our level at a lower point that for a long time. However, it might be a financial nightmare if went down and didn't go up quickly.

The 'bounce' might be about each case on its merit. Norwich had been in the top tier recently and still had high season ticket sales and some momentum. We are more similar to Coventry, in that we've been stagnant for so long and would be relegated with dwindling season tickets and attendances. A poor start (like Norwich made) could lead to becoming average at a level lower.

There may just be gem of a manager out there who could do everything we want but we'd do well to find them over everyone else that's looking.

I'm definitely an advocate of change but don't mind if it's planned, rather than emotional and reactionary.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 1468 viewsDeano69

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:27 - Jan 19 by powinswitch

I have to be honest, for me this is not about the results. It's about the way we set up to not lose. We simply go out to stop the opposition. We don't have very much creative football, and haven't all season, of course injuries have played a part and he has been unlucky in that. But if you check the fixtures page, you will see there were games when Skuse and Douglas started, while Bru, Williams, Dozzell and/or Bishop were on the bench. For me his style is negative more often than not. Get in a manager who plays football and I genuinely think the mood of the fans will change significantly.

The whole club seems to be suffering from some sort of Siege Mentality

Set up not to lose - Not just Away but Home too.
Parachute payments are not fair.
How are we expected to compete when everyone else is spending decent sums.
No one wants to sell to us.
No one seems to want to come to us (with the exception of lower leagues hoping to emulate Mings and move on for big money)
Not a game for the youngsters
Stick with the experienced old heads.

Its everyone else but me/us...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 12:34 - Jan 20 with 1421 viewsRyorry

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 04:26 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

Equally, I accept your reply to a point. I agree there have been attempts to play football at times and the games you quote vs QPR (a) and Blackburn are examples. Where this falls down includes:

16 Aug to 15 Oct. 11 games, with each seeing Skuse and Douglas in midfield. 4 goals scored. 4! Teddy Bishop was on the bench for 9 of those games.

Johnny Williams, an undoubted exciting, attacking flair player was definitely available from mid October to mid December. He started once. I understand he needed to be eased back in, but once. For me he transformed the way we played at Sheff Wednesday when he came on if I recall at half time. That was at the start of November, so why was he not starting games for another month

Grant Ward. I watch him closely. Definite talent, as revealed by his early form. This has tailed off dramatically. He has lost a lot of confidence and for me he has been over coached. Watch him look to the dugout when he is playing on the right and we are attacking the Churchmans. They are constantly giving him instructions. He is infinitely better when attacking the north, as he doesn't have MM and TC in his ear.

QPR (a). You correctly identify this as a good game, one where we passed much better and played some attractive football. But McCarthy could not help himself and when we were in the ascendency brought on Douglas for Bru, instead of Dozzell. Then boogate kicked off.

2016 in general, and the start of 2017. The last 12 months or so have seen us play some atrocious football. Revisit the results since our opening fixture of 2016 away to Burnley, a hard fought 0-0 draw (I was there). Reflect on our football in that time. We have been knocked out of the cups three times by Pompey, Stevenage and Lincoln City. The difference in their budgets to ours, reveals that money is not the issue. Pompey and Lincoln both outplayed us.

He has tried to play more attractive football at times. But at his core, he is a manager who stops the opposition first and playing football that excites as an afterthought. Bring in the antithesis of that, and you will start the process of attracting fans back.

Your other points about fans inane shouting about getting it forward. Yeah I hear that and despair. The shouts about your football is sh1t Well actually it is. Not every game I acknowledge, but far, far too often. He needs to go. In my opinion it is overdue, and waiting for the end of the season is not the answer.

What an absolutely superb post.

"Grant Ward. I watch him closely. Definite talent, as revealed by his early form. This has tailed off dramatically. He has lost a lot of confidence and for me he has been over coached. Watch him look to the dugout when he is playing on the right and we are attacking the Churchmans. They are constantly giving him instructions. He is infinitely better when attacking the north, as he doesn't have MM and TC in his ear."

That's the kind of detailed insight I love, esp as someone who can't get to home games, but which you pretty much never get in most match reports - thank you for doing so!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 13:38 - Jan 20 with 1390 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 04:26 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

Equally, I accept your reply to a point. I agree there have been attempts to play football at times and the games you quote vs QPR (a) and Blackburn are examples. Where this falls down includes:

16 Aug to 15 Oct. 11 games, with each seeing Skuse and Douglas in midfield. 4 goals scored. 4! Teddy Bishop was on the bench for 9 of those games.

Johnny Williams, an undoubted exciting, attacking flair player was definitely available from mid October to mid December. He started once. I understand he needed to be eased back in, but once. For me he transformed the way we played at Sheff Wednesday when he came on if I recall at half time. That was at the start of November, so why was he not starting games for another month

Grant Ward. I watch him closely. Definite talent, as revealed by his early form. This has tailed off dramatically. He has lost a lot of confidence and for me he has been over coached. Watch him look to the dugout when he is playing on the right and we are attacking the Churchmans. They are constantly giving him instructions. He is infinitely better when attacking the north, as he doesn't have MM and TC in his ear.

QPR (a). You correctly identify this as a good game, one where we passed much better and played some attractive football. But McCarthy could not help himself and when we were in the ascendency brought on Douglas for Bru, instead of Dozzell. Then boogate kicked off.

2016 in general, and the start of 2017. The last 12 months or so have seen us play some atrocious football. Revisit the results since our opening fixture of 2016 away to Burnley, a hard fought 0-0 draw (I was there). Reflect on our football in that time. We have been knocked out of the cups three times by Pompey, Stevenage and Lincoln City. The difference in their budgets to ours, reveals that money is not the issue. Pompey and Lincoln both outplayed us.

He has tried to play more attractive football at times. But at his core, he is a manager who stops the opposition first and playing football that excites as an afterthought. Bring in the antithesis of that, and you will start the process of attracting fans back.

Your other points about fans inane shouting about getting it forward. Yeah I hear that and despair. The shouts about your football is sh1t Well actually it is. Not every game I acknowledge, but far, far too often. He needs to go. In my opinion it is overdue, and waiting for the end of the season is not the answer.

Williams and Dozzell both started at Wigan and were both very poor.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 14:03 - Jan 20 with 1374 viewsSuperfrans

Big delay getting back to you. Sorry. Mad day...

My instinct has always been to give Mick the benefit of the doubt (that's poss just the way I'm wired - he's a pro with three decades in management behind him) and always accepted that Jonny was just not ready, and given his injury problems before, it was probably acceptable to not rush him back. Frustrating though I found that - I'm a big Jonny fan and would sign him tomorrow, injuries or not.

I also was frustrated by the QPR boo-ing ("BooGate", I like it) - Kenlock was obviously injured and Bru was knackered. I also don't totally accept the "Douglas has no merits" line. Yes, he's old, slow, past his best, but he does the nasty stuff (getting in the way of the opposition, making things difficult for them) that Andre hasn't yet learned. And you do need that sometime. Andre in a middle 4 is too exposed - which is why I prefer the 5 across the middle.

I agree on Ward though. There was a freedom about him in his first game, typified by his willingness to shoot on sight - with three goals as a result. I fear that's been coached out of him, he's been coached to the extent that he seems to think too much when the ball arrives at his feet. When he arrived he was more instinctive.

On your points about the quality of football, yes, it hasn't been good this year. I don't think anyone would argue that it's been a free-flowing delight. I do think some of our fans should think about the consequence of their reactions to what bis going on, on the pitch.

Some would say that players should man up, that the fact they are earning fortunes should make them immune from jeers/boos. But the practical reality is that they're not immune, it affects them. And, whether you're the kind of person who thinks that is crazy or not, if you know that jeering and booing will push players into their shells, knock their confidence so they hesitate when they get the ball, generally affect their play negatively, I have mno idea why a "supporter" would do it. It's the opposite of supporting.

Of course, we will all react in the moment and express our frustration or disappointment. I've never booed a player in ITFC blue, but I've shouted out in frustration. We all do it. But booing and trying to justify it is just dumb imho.

On Mick, I've now reached the point where I wonder for his own self-confidence. Does he really believe he can get us promoted - or, from another perspective, does he believe he can turn the fans round. I'm sure he would hope that he can - but I'm sure he knows that its going to be damn hard, especially knowing that he won't have the riches to plough into the squad, to turn them into team playing attacking, free-flowing football.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 15:36 - Jan 20 with 1334 viewsSwn98

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:23 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

I accept that to a point. But for much of the past few months, there have been attempts to play a different way. At the start of the season, we were clearly trying to play the ball on the ground more. And in the past month, the 352 matches - vs QPR and Blackburn.

On several occasions, I've stood in the SBRL hearing people shouting to "get the ball forward" while we're trying to pass the ball around, and the chants of "you're football is sh!t" during those games.

So, I've read lots of people saying "it's all about the football", but lots of evidence to the contrary. (Not referring to you, btw)

It's also very easy to be wise after the event. Dozzell, Kenlock and Emmanuel have only just started to come into the first team now. Dozzell has apparently benefitted from training with the first team for six months, which means he now seems more ready than he would have been at the start of the season.

Good comment reiterates my often made point it's easy to say something when the results of your thoughts haven't got to be judged by 20,000 fans.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 18:18 - Jan 20 with 1284 viewspowinswitch

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 14:03 - Jan 20 by Superfrans

Big delay getting back to you. Sorry. Mad day...

My instinct has always been to give Mick the benefit of the doubt (that's poss just the way I'm wired - he's a pro with three decades in management behind him) and always accepted that Jonny was just not ready, and given his injury problems before, it was probably acceptable to not rush him back. Frustrating though I found that - I'm a big Jonny fan and would sign him tomorrow, injuries or not.

I also was frustrated by the QPR boo-ing ("BooGate", I like it) - Kenlock was obviously injured and Bru was knackered. I also don't totally accept the "Douglas has no merits" line. Yes, he's old, slow, past his best, but he does the nasty stuff (getting in the way of the opposition, making things difficult for them) that Andre hasn't yet learned. And you do need that sometime. Andre in a middle 4 is too exposed - which is why I prefer the 5 across the middle.

I agree on Ward though. There was a freedom about him in his first game, typified by his willingness to shoot on sight - with three goals as a result. I fear that's been coached out of him, he's been coached to the extent that he seems to think too much when the ball arrives at his feet. When he arrived he was more instinctive.

On your points about the quality of football, yes, it hasn't been good this year. I don't think anyone would argue that it's been a free-flowing delight. I do think some of our fans should think about the consequence of their reactions to what bis going on, on the pitch.

Some would say that players should man up, that the fact they are earning fortunes should make them immune from jeers/boos. But the practical reality is that they're not immune, it affects them. And, whether you're the kind of person who thinks that is crazy or not, if you know that jeering and booing will push players into their shells, knock their confidence so they hesitate when they get the ball, generally affect their play negatively, I have mno idea why a "supporter" would do it. It's the opposite of supporting.

Of course, we will all react in the moment and express our frustration or disappointment. I've never booed a player in ITFC blue, but I've shouted out in frustration. We all do it. But booing and trying to justify it is just dumb imho.

On Mick, I've now reached the point where I wonder for his own self-confidence. Does he really believe he can get us promoted - or, from another perspective, does he believe he can turn the fans round. I'm sure he would hope that he can - but I'm sure he knows that its going to be damn hard, especially knowing that he won't have the riches to plough into the squad, to turn them into team playing attacking, free-flowing football.

A quick reply to everybody who has contributed to the thread. Great debate. Considered passion. Unfortunately, Mrs Powinswitch has told me that I am to have a TWTD free evening. I know we don't agree about everything, but I think there are some valuable contributions that we would all do well to reflect on. Now, there is a Broadside with my name on it.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 19:41 - Jan 20 with 1236 viewsstantheman

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:05 - Jan 19 by christiand

Powinswitch you are spot on! The way we play is so limited. It's hilarious how we lose someone like Darryl Murphy and still continue to launch it forwards to someone like Pitman thinking he will do the same job? I certainly sympathise with MM regarding the limited funds from ME, to me it's like a token effort from Evans....here's a little bit, but no more and I want change! But there is no excuse for some of MM's tactics, style of play and selections that's nothing to do with finances. I agree with your post, if we got a manager and coaching staff in who would encourage a more expansive style of football, the fans will begin to return to Portman road.

What if this expansive football leads to relegation? Expansive play does not necessarily mean you win. Not arguing with the sentiment by the way.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:41 - Jan 20 with 1196 viewsSuperfrans

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 18:18 - Jan 20 by powinswitch

A quick reply to everybody who has contributed to the thread. Great debate. Considered passion. Unfortunately, Mrs Powinswitch has told me that I am to have a TWTD free evening. I know we don't agree about everything, but I think there are some valuable contributions that we would all do well to reflect on. Now, there is a Broadside with my name on it.

Hear hear.

Enjoy that Broadside. Wish I could joint you (given what a week it's been), but three weeks off the ale tomorrow. Just a week or so more and I've made the month - possibly my first dry month for 10 years or more...

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:26 - Jan 20 with 1153 viewsSenatorBlue

Can I just say, this is a brilliant thread. No toys out of prams, just reasoned, well pointed and balanced views that sum up the constant inner monologue of most fans. I don't post because although I think on balance now is the time, I still admire the way MM is with the players, the club structure, the press. It's the lack of any constructive footballing style that gets me, well articulated above, and challenged (and I do get the style versus results, and agree style with out results would be received with equal contempt). But when you see the lack of just anything versus Lincoln you've got to ask yourself WTF.

Mick's comments this week appeared to me of someone working towards an end, rather than turning it around. A complete U-ey in ethos, and no comments about how we turn it around, more around leaving the club in a good shape (with a younger stronger spine). It would not surprise me if he had offered to step down after Lincoln, and ME said "OK, but see us out for the season, set-us up to rebuild from the summer, and give us time to find a decent replacement, and we'll give you a decent pay off in the summer for the great job you've done".I'd actually agree that would be a sensible approach given the in-pass we find ourselves today.

I would have loved MM to turn it around, but sadly I think that ship has sailed.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:55 - Jan 20 with 1113 viewspatrickswell

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 20:41 - Jan 19 by Lamby95

'Mick has never been out of work for too long and maybe he is guilty of not choosing wisely when it came to Ipswich – but he’s the type of personality who loves a battle.'

This section I don't get. At the time MM probably could have taken a job with a team higher up the table but after turning us around his stock was even higher. Up until around March last year he was doing a very good job and he contradicts the point he is trying to make

It's worth remembering that 2 months before Mick arrived, we spent 1.5 million on Paul Taylor. Maybe he felt there would still be money available. Or perhaps he got seduced by the trade off of a million pounds for him if he kept us up, against working on peanuts in terms of the transfer market.

Even the credo of not paying fees, when we can offer attractive wages which brought in players like McGoldrick, Berra and Parr doesn't seem to have been continued either.
Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 22:58 - Jan 20 with 1070 viewsSuperfrans

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:26 - Jan 20 by SenatorBlue

Can I just say, this is a brilliant thread. No toys out of prams, just reasoned, well pointed and balanced views that sum up the constant inner monologue of most fans. I don't post because although I think on balance now is the time, I still admire the way MM is with the players, the club structure, the press. It's the lack of any constructive footballing style that gets me, well articulated above, and challenged (and I do get the style versus results, and agree style with out results would be received with equal contempt). But when you see the lack of just anything versus Lincoln you've got to ask yourself WTF.

Mick's comments this week appeared to me of someone working towards an end, rather than turning it around. A complete U-ey in ethos, and no comments about how we turn it around, more around leaving the club in a good shape (with a younger stronger spine). It would not surprise me if he had offered to step down after Lincoln, and ME said "OK, but see us out for the season, set-us up to rebuild from the summer, and give us time to find a decent replacement, and we'll give you a decent pay off in the summer for the great job you've done".I'd actually agree that would be a sensible approach given the in-pass we find ourselves today.

I would have loved MM to turn it around, but sadly I think that ship has sailed.

Agree with your every word, sir.

Post again soon.

😃👍🏻

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 23:01 - Jan 20 with 1059 viewsSuperfrans

Mick McCarthy should have walked away from Ipswich sooner - it is a bad job on 21:55 - Jan 20 by patrickswell

It's worth remembering that 2 months before Mick arrived, we spent 1.5 million on Paul Taylor. Maybe he felt there would still be money available. Or perhaps he got seduced by the trade off of a million pounds for him if he kept us up, against working on peanuts in terms of the transfer market.

Even the credo of not paying fees, when we can offer attractive wages which brought in players like McGoldrick, Berra and Parr doesn't seem to have been continued either.

I've often wondered if the strategy of no transfer fees is led as much by Mick as anyone. Coming back into the game and seeing what we'd paid for Taylor, who he clearly wasn't a fan of, and knowing that we'd also got McGoldrick lined up for nothing, he encouraged Evans to believe that it wasn't necessary to spend...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024