Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin McGuinness 21:05 - Jan 19 with 29336 viewsvapour_trail

Farewell to a political heavyweight. One of the key players in the creation of the current relatively peaceful northern Ireland and a man with a pretty grim past.

He will be missed.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Martin McGuinness on 23:12 - Jan 19 with 2155 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:07 - Jan 19 by m14_blue

Fair enough, you're not presenting a balanced view on here though which I'm sure you'll accept if you look back at your posts.

I suppose it's just a shame to see so much hatred and bitterness in someone of your age, makes me worry for the future.

I'm not full of hate
I don't agree I stand by what i typed
Martin McGuinness on 23:13 - Jan 19 with 2159 viewsGlasgowBlue

From a humane point of view it's very said that he has been overcome by illness. From a political point of view he made great efforts to help bring peace in Northern Ireland in his later life and he is to be admired for that.

Having said that, he was a leader in an organisation that murdered innocent men, woman and children in shopping centres and pubs. Blowing them to bits with no warning. Not only that, they were a criminal organisation selling drugs to fund their campaign. The IRA only came to the negotiating table when they had been defeated militarily.

I know victims of the IRA. So it's hard to forgive. So I am torn on this.

But we live in a more peaceful country because people like Adams and McGuiness were able to see that the ballot box is a more prefereable solution than the bomb and the bullet.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 23:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 with 2129 viewsm14_blue

Martin McGuinness on 23:12 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

I'm not full of hate

Ok, well your posts in this thread don't reflect your personality then.

If you genuinely think you have a balanced viewpoint then I don't think there's much more to be said.

Anyway, fair play to you for choosing Town rather than Liverpool/United, can't be easy.
Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 with 2114 viewsjeera

Martin McGuinness on 23:12 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

I'm not full of hate

You have a point that others have chosen to ignore, in that you have a background and ties with family and friends' families who struggled/suffered during occupation.

I have been friends with many an Irishman who feel the same way.

It's an untidy and uncomfortable subject from all angles and they'll always be those who aren't interested in the underlying tissues surrounding the still strong sentiment.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 with 2100 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 by jeera

You have a point that others have chosen to ignore, in that you have a background and ties with family and friends' families who struggled/suffered during occupation.

It's an untidy and uncomfortable subject from all angles and they'll always be those who aren't interested in the underlying tissues surrounding the still strong sentiment.

Occupation!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Martin McGuinness on 23:17 - Jan 19 with 2087 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:13 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

From a humane point of view it's very said that he has been overcome by illness. From a political point of view he made great efforts to help bring peace in Northern Ireland in his later life and he is to be admired for that.

Having said that, he was a leader in an organisation that murdered innocent men, woman and children in shopping centres and pubs. Blowing them to bits with no warning. Not only that, they were a criminal organisation selling drugs to fund their campaign. The IRA only came to the negotiating table when they had been defeated militarily.

But we live in a more peaceful country because people like Adams and McGuiness were able to see that the ballot box is a more prefereable solution than the bomb and the bullet.

I disagree with near enough all that but you put it eloquently and reasonably balanced. I agree on the peace though
If Thatcher, who ordered and knew about loyalist death squads to kill innocent, unarmed Irish had carried on with her right wing reactionary outlook Ireland would have been like Palestine now
Martin McGuinness on 23:18 - Jan 19 with 2079 viewsLord_Lucan

Martin McGuinness on 23:02 - Jan 19 by feelingblue

Lucan, I understand your post.

However my father served in the military and the MoD for all bar the last 3 years of his adult life, that's why we ended up in North Essex/South Suffolk.

He did several tours in NI. We had to examine under the car every morning with a mirror on a little trolley, before he drove into Colchester.

The NI thing had no solution unless people like Martin McGuinness did what they did. It needed people who were prepared to recognise the futility of continuing the violence, if only from a practical point of view, and commit to a (semi) peaceful way forward. He took the Republican mainstream with him into a more sensible and measured arrangement.

I could never admire Martin McGuinness, but, however unpleasant he may have been, he did the right things in later life, at least.

FB. I look out for your posts. I find you an interesting guy and you are obviously a goodun. Sorry mate but I'm gonna get on my high horse here. My Pop was a military man and we've got kids on this thread celebrating the death of someone and looking forward to the death of our queen - an old lady that has worked all her life trying to do some good??? Yeah she doesn't have to worry about the cost of a pint of milk but people are waiting to celebrate her death? Really?????

Bunch of arse.

God save the queen.

McArthy out

Boo to everything.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Martin McGuinness on 23:19 - Jan 19 with 2062 viewssparks

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Occupation!

An occupation actively desired by the majority. ..

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Martin McGuinness on 23:20 - Jan 19 with 2059 viewsgtsb1966

Martin McGuinness on 23:13 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Personally your second paragraph shows why I have no respect for this person whatsoever.
Martin McGuinness on 23:20 - Jan 19 with 2057 viewsjeera

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Occupation!

I'm not doing this with you again.

One day politely over a beer. Sure.

Martin McGuinness on 23:21 - Jan 19 with 2040 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:16 - Jan 19 by jeera

Thanks for understanding
I wouldn't willy nilly come on here to mention the troubles, i just commented on someone else mentioning McGuinness. I accept others views on the conflict, but what I would never do is personally shot insults at others with different views
Martin McGuinness on 23:22 - Jan 19 with 2029 viewsjeera

Martin McGuinness on 23:19 - Jan 19 by sparks

An occupation actively desired by the majority. ..

Majority-minority.

Martin McGuinness on 23:22 - Jan 19 with 2032 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Martin McGuinness on 22:40 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

Me? 27
Family were in the north during the troubles
I don't agree with an army occupying ANY COUNTRY let alone my own, as any Brit wouldn't either

So time solves everything? What about the Irish (Scotti) who invaded Scotland and stayed there taking the Gaelic langage they never left never hear any Irish nationalists say anything about that. Cherry picking what you hate/like about English and British society, you support Ipswich why not support a team from your own nation, why oh they are crap and even worse than itfc. A united ireland is the way forward but the way you spout hatred on here insulting brits about historical stuff is uncalled for.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Martin McGuinness on 23:24 - Jan 19 with 2001 viewsjeera

Martin McGuinness on 23:22 - Jan 19 by Jonnosdreadlocks

So time solves everything? What about the Irish (Scotti) who invaded Scotland and stayed there taking the Gaelic langage they never left never hear any Irish nationalists say anything about that. Cherry picking what you hate/like about English and British society, you support Ipswich why not support a team from your own nation, why oh they are crap and even worse than itfc. A united ireland is the way forward but the way you spout hatred on here insulting brits about historical stuff is uncalled for.

Shut up.

He's already got a dozen on his back.

Stick to your incorrect football views instead of ganging up to bully.

Martin McGuinness on 23:24 - Jan 19 with 1992 viewsfactual_blue

Martin McGuinness on 21:59 - Jan 19 by gtsb1966

Im sure all the relatives of the people murdered by the IRA will miss him too!!!

I think there are people who need to read a bit more about Irish history.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Martin McGuinness on 23:27 - Jan 19 with 1958 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:22 - Jan 19 by Jonnosdreadlocks

I follow Celtic and support Ipswich
I have supported Town since 1999 - because of Matt Holland
Martin McGuinness on 23:28 - Jan 19 with 1944 viewsElderGrizzly

Martin McGuinness on 23:18 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

FB. I look out for your posts. I find you an interesting guy and you are obviously a goodun. Sorry mate but I'm gonna get on my high horse here. My Pop was a military man and we've got kids on this thread celebrating the death of someone and looking forward to the death of our queen - an old lady that has worked all her life trying to do some good??? Yeah she doesn't have to worry about the cost of a pint of milk but people are waiting to celebrate her death? Really?????

Bunch of arse.

God save the queen.

McArthy out

Boo to everything.

Saw this earlier, given your love of Her Maj

Martin McGuinness on 23:31 - Jan 19 with 1923 viewsgtsb1966

Martin McGuinness on 23:24 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

I think there are people who need to read a bit more about Irish history.

Eh?
Martin McGuinness on 23:31 - Jan 19 with 1923 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:18 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

Bunch of arse.

God save the queen.

McArthy out

Boo to everything.

Your mask slipped when you said your country was loved apart from sandal people. You're a bigot

I apologize for terrible grammar

but never, never for being anti royal family, as millions of British people are

Sandal people.......step into 1907...
Martin McGuinness on 23:32 - Jan 19 with 1915 viewsFreddies_Ears

The UK's Nelson Mandela? Maybe.
Martin McGuinness on 23:37 - Jan 19 with 1877 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:32 - Jan 19 by Freddies_Ears

The UK's Nelson Mandela? Maybe.

Loool
there was a great man
Martin McGuinness on 23:39 - Jan 19 with 1861 viewsfactual_blue

Martin McGuinness on 23:31 - Jan 19 by gtsb1966

Eh?

Irish history is littered with appalling behaviour, not all of it by the Irish. How would you feel about a government who'd sent your forebears into 'indentured servitude', or 'slavery' to give it its correct title?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Martin McGuinness on 23:43 - Jan 19 with 1830 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Martin McGuinness on 23:31 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

Your mask slipped when you said your country was loved apart from sandal people. You're a bigot

I apologize for terrible grammar

but never, never for being anti royal family, as millions of British people are

Sandal people.......step into 1907...

i hate the royals but to say you rejoice of the queens death and maggie t's because you dont agree with them makes you a bigot. There are irish pubs in north london in England!that only allow irish in. A lot of irish have a huge chip on their shoulder about the british (specifically the english) but dont forget ireland was invaded first by the vikings and the normans, who invaded too england first! yes people like cromwell did terrible stuff and irish history is complicated but atrocties in the name of a united ireland are far more recent.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Martin McGuinness on 23:50 - Jan 19 with 1801 viewsgtsb1966

Martin McGuinness on 23:39 - Jan 19 by factual_blue

Irish history is littered with appalling behaviour, not all of it by the Irish. How would you feel about a government who'd sent your forebears into 'indentured servitude', or 'slavery' to give it its correct title?

The subject was Martin McGuiness. The original poster said he'd be missed. I said not by the relatives of the people murdered by the IRA of which McGuinness was a member. I know the British over the years have done some appalling crimes too. Ain't I clever oh wise one.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 23:53]
Martin McGuinness on 23:52 - Jan 19 with 1787 viewsIpswichIrish

Martin McGuinness on 23:43 - Jan 19 by Jonnosdreadlocks

i hate the royals but to say you rejoice of the queens death and maggie t's because you dont agree with them makes you a bigot. There are irish pubs in north london in England!that only allow irish in. A lot of irish have a huge chip on their shoulder about the british (specifically the english) but dont forget ireland was invaded first by the vikings and the normans, who invaded too england first! yes people like cromwell did terrible stuff and irish history is complicated but atrocties in the name of a united ireland are far more recent.

If celebrating Thatcher's death makes me a bigot then I'm a bigot
She ruined the lifes of many BRITISH working class
She celebrated the war crime of sinking a retreating Belgrano
She sold EVERYTHING British off
She invented the greed is good mentality

If the Irish don't allow English, others in pubs, bars then they are bang out of order
I've got an English staffy - I don't mind them
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024