Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need 23:29 - Jan 19 with 2348 viewsitfcpaul

Who else would have done as good a job as MM with the lack of transfer funds and injuries he has had?

Name me one person if you can

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 07:44 - Jan 20 with 1602 viewsBorisOrTrevor

We have already covered this. Championship outfit made to look second rate by conference side on a minuscule budget, playing by far the better and easier on the eye football.

What the f has lack of money got to do with that? It is because we are no longer a progressive football club. Regressive, negative tactics, negative mindset. All about not failing rather than succeeding. Watching terrified footballers mis cuing the ball on TV as a result, see Skuse as example. Mick has done a good job, but he has taken us as far as he is able to. Time for somebody new.

BOT

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:46 - Jan 20 with 1563 viewsKeaneish

Like that's difficult! There' are 92 professional clubs, the vast majority of those make a loss or are in debt and work on little budgets. If those clubs there are plenty of successful or up and coming managers. Don't buy into a sound bite that MM is the only person who can work to a budget. It's nonsense.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:55 - Jan 20 with 1545 viewsmutters

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:46 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

Like that's difficult! There' are 92 professional clubs, the vast majority of those make a loss or are in debt and work on little budgets. If those clubs there are plenty of successful or up and coming managers. Don't buy into a sound bite that MM is the only person who can work to a budget. It's nonsense.

Yet you still have failed to name another manager?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:58 - Jan 20 with 1529 viewsITFCBlues

What do you expect a new manager to achieve whilst working within the budget? Promotion?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 10:04 - Jan 20 with 1506 viewsitfcjoe

Which of these managers, or even clubs have managed to have 3 top 10 Championship finishes in a row?

I can only see us and Brentford consistently punching above our weight in this league.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:20 - Jan 20 with 1442 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 10:04 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Which of these managers, or even clubs have managed to have 3 top 10 Championship finishes in a row?

I can only see us and Brentford consistently punching above our weight in this league.

Well none because they're not all managing in the Championship!?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:23 - Jan 20 with 1435 viewspablosturn

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:58 - Jan 20 by ITFCBlues

What do you expect a new manager to achieve whilst working within the budget? Promotion?

No but I expect him to be able to:

1. Beat a non league side given 2 attempts

2. Entertain the fans with a brand of progressive modern football

3. Not demean fans at every opportunity for having a voice and becoming concerned over the anti football we are currently served up
Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:23 - Jan 20 with 1432 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:20 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

Well none because they're not all managing in the Championship!?

Who are these managers doing it consistently in any league though? Gary Rowett is one I can think off.

Login to get fewer ads

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:24 - Jan 20 with 1425 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:55 - Jan 20 by mutters

Yet you still have failed to name another manager?

Probably because the conversation is boring but there are loads....

Adkins
Parkinson
Alexander
Ainsworth
Rowett
Jackett
Clough

Dario O' Gradi did it for nearly 2 decades!

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:26 - Jan 20 with 1409 viewspablosturn

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 10:04 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Stop living in the past

We have been terrible for well over a year and everyone knows it. It was laid bare for all to see how far backwards we have gone on Tuesday.

Only the blind could still back MM, those that wanted change 2 months ago were right and we are just wasting time now with MM in charge
Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:28 - Jan 20 with 1401 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:26 - Jan 20 by pablosturn

Stop living in the past

We have been terrible for well over a year and everyone knows it. It was laid bare for all to see how far backwards we have gone on Tuesday.

Only the blind could still back MM, those that wanted change 2 months ago were right and we are just wasting time now with MM in charge

Living in the past - we finished 7th last year and are 14th this year - the way you go on you'd think we are bottom of the league.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:30 - Jan 20 with 1396 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 09:58 - Jan 20 by ITFCBlues

1. To be consistently competitive in the top 8 and actually look like we're promotion contenders by playing good football.

2. A manager with the whole backing of the fans who has built a good rapport with them by fostering good relationships.

3. The development of youngsters year on year.

4. A competitive cup run here and there.

5. The ability to balance the books but be competitive in the transfer market with complete transparency of transfer aspirations/ budgets without being detrimental to deals

That isn't too much to as ask with the current budget.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:33 - Jan 20 with 1380 viewsDoobDude

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:28 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Living in the past - we finished 7th last year and are 14th this year - the way you go on you'd think we are bottom of the league.

7th last year completely flattered us.
Nothing between us and 16th last season, we just won a few meaningless games at the end.

I'm currently not interested in promotion, just a new forward thinking manager prepared to blood the youth, play entertaining football and give us hope.

Now to find this person we need to take a chance, gamble on an upcoming manager or maybe scout for one around Europe. It may go wrong but what is the alternative? Another 5 years bumbling around in this division making short-term signings to get us through the season?

But it's all fantasy whilst we are owned by Evans.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:37 - Jan 20 with 1368 viewsCotty

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:30 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

1. To be consistently competitive in the top 8 and actually look like we're promotion contenders by playing good football.

2. A manager with the whole backing of the fans who has built a good rapport with them by fostering good relationships.

5. The ability to balance the books but be competitive in the transfer market with complete transparency of transfer aspirations/ budgets without being detrimental to deals

5. is pretty unrealistic. You want to spend more money, AND balance the books, despite the fact we are already tanking mulitmillions every year?
Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:39 - Jan 20 with 1358 viewsITFCBlues

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:23 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Who are these managers doing it consistently in any league though? Gary Rowett is one I can think off.

Rowett plays garbage football so that rules him out

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:40 - Jan 20 with 1352 viewsitfcjoe

I have to disagree with this, look at the last few years:

2014/15 - top 8
Parachute Payments - Norwich, Wolves
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Bournemouth, Watford, Middlesborough, Derby
Clubs on similar budget - Brentford, IPSWICH

2015/16 - top 8
Parachute Payments - Burnley, Hull, Cardiff
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Middlesborough, Brighton, Derby, Sheff Weds
Clubs on similar budget - IPSWICH

2016/17 - top 8
Parachute Payments - Newcastle
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Brighton, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Fulham
Clubs on similar budget - Leeds (at a push), Huddersfield

Consistently competing in the top 8 isn't likely on our budgets, setting that as a minimum expectation is too much to ask.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:44 - Jan 20 with 1330 viewsITFCBlues

LOL — yeah — your not asking a lot there really?

Just asking us to compete for a top 6 side who have massively inferior budget.

These expectations are unrealistic and are probably part of the reason why we’ll never have any success

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:45 - Jan 20 with 1331 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:33 - Jan 20 by DoobDude

7th last year completely flattered us.
Nothing between us and 16th last season, we just won a few meaningless games at the end.

I'm currently not interested in promotion, just a new forward thinking manager prepared to blood the youth, play entertaining football and give us hope.

Now to find this person we need to take a chance, gamble on an upcoming manager or maybe scout for one around Europe. It may go wrong but what is the alternative? Another 5 years bumbling around in this division making short-term signings to get us through the season?

But it's all fantasy whilst we are owned by Evans.

Whilst 7th did flatter us - to say there was no difference between us and 16th who we finished 14 points ahead of despite the rubbish run through March and April is just dishonest/

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:47 - Jan 20 with 1323 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:44 - Jan 20 by ITFCBlues

These expectations are unrealistic and are probably part of the reason why we’ll never have any success

That and people overrating our squad.

A couple of blokes on Twitter were going on about how McG, Pitman and Sears is one of the best strikeforces in the division?!

Thinking that Sears would score 20 goals if up front - that Skuse, Berra, Webster etc are all top quality Championship players.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:50 - Jan 20 with 1303 viewsITFCBlues

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:40 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

2014/15 - top 8
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Bournemouth, Watford, Middlesborough, Derby

2015/16 - top 8
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Middlesborough, Brighton, Derby, Sheff Weds

2016/17 - top 8
Big spenders (i.e 2x as much on wages at least) - Brighton, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Fulham

Consistently competing in the top 8 isn't likely on our budgets, setting that as a minimum expectation is too much to ask.

I’m not sure how you have Leeds on a similar budget to us or anywhere near!

They signed that CB Jansson for 3.5m alone I believe…Wood 3m….Then the likes of Hernandez wouldn’t be cheap. I suspect they paid a bit for Bartley….Bridcutt….

You’d say they’re towards the top end in terms of budgets…

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:50 - Jan 20 with 1302 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:40 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

2014/15 - top 8

2015/16 - top 8

2016/17 - top 8

As i posted in another thread, i could equally pull up stats from clubs who have been relegated or languish in mid table whilst receiving parachute payments.

I think stating that these clubs have double the wage bill is speculative and i'd challenge whether Bournemouth or Watford had that in 14/15 or Reading this year. The other point of note is that most of these clubs listed are actually bigger clubs than us so its a given they'll have larger budgets, that's always been the case, its not a new phenomenon.

More money gives you more choices as does anything in life but it doesn't guarantee or dictate where you finish in a season. Countless teams over the decades have been competitive without being the wealthiest. Our history is testament to that.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:51 - Jan 20 with 1294 viewsDoobDude

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:44 - Jan 20 by ITFCBlues

And your lack of ambition and acceptance of our current plight is another reason.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:55 - Jan 20 with 1288 viewsmonty_radio

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:28 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Yet it feels just as bad as lf were in the relegation scrap because of the prevailing negativity - and I'm not one of the virtuous here, talking about that other lot. It's the lack of entertainment generally: the directionless feel (both from the top and when we have the ball in midfield); players consistently playing as strangers to one another; the quality of plyers pushing for a place- regarding which, as an U23 watcher, I share Mick's obvious uncertainty.

And, in an age where presentation is all, the comments proceeding from on high that range from patronising, aggressive, defensive, self-aggrandising to the current mea culpa despair.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:56 - Jan 20 with 1284 viewsITFCBlues

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:47 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

That and people overrating our squad.

A couple of blokes on Twitter were going on about how McG, Pitman and Sears is one of the best strikeforces in the division?!

Thinking that Sears would score 20 goals if up front - that Skuse, Berra, Webster etc are all top quality Championship players.

Exactly. McG hasn’t done it really since his first 6 months here. Pitman has never been that prolific at this level and the less said about Sears the better.

Skuse is bang average, Berra is way past his best — as Tuesday showed…Whilst Webster has potential, that’s all it is at present.

There is a lot of gaps in our squad at present. But for people to say we should be towards the top 6 is a complete joke & completely unrealistic compared to what we’re up against & the budget we’re operating within.

With the way the division has moved the last 4-5 years, you’d say there is every chance that a lesser manager than Mick comes in & we become like Wigan or Blackburn.

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:59 - Jan 20 with 1272 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:50 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

As i posted in another thread, i could equally pull up stats from clubs who have been relegated or languish in mid table whilst receiving parachute payments.

I think stating that these clubs have double the wage bill is speculative and i'd challenge whether Bournemouth or Watford had that in 14/15 or Reading this year. The other point of note is that most of these clubs listed are actually bigger clubs than us so its a given they'll have larger budgets, that's always been the case, its not a new phenomenon.

More money gives you more choices as does anything in life but it doesn't guarantee or dictate where you finish in a season. Countless teams over the decades have been competitive without being the wealthiest. Our history is testament to that.

Clubs doing badly with poor management and parachute payments aren't the problem, whilst that happens it isn't particularly relevant as the rates go up and up it makes things much easier

2014-15 wage bills

Watfords was 40% higher than ours, but doesn't take into account that they can bring loan players in from across their group at fractions of the cost.

Our wage bill in 15/16 was £16.57m ( http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/ipswich-town-financial-highlights-201 Reading's was £30.8m ( http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/sport/15026709.Reading_FC__Royals_debt_rises_to__ I see no reason why this would have changed substantially away from that ration.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but it makes it much easier - if we had an extra £5m in the wage bill, and a further 5 or 6 players earning similar to the likes of Berra, Skuse, Chambers etc (i.e. our top earners) then we wouldn't have such a thin squad.

The difference in budgets is so key - the odd club will over perform - us, Brentford and Huddersfield are 3 recent examples - but you aren't going to consistently do it because you get a season like this one - when you lose a key player, when you suffer injuries at key times to key players.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024