Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' 11:11 - Jan 20 with 1994 viewsipswich78

This isn't necessarily related to their day to day jobs which they are fine at. It's all the other stuff...

I.e. I recently sorted an issue out and they responded 'oh I saw that'... and yet they didn't think to do anything about it. This is just one example of many, many things...

I want to encourage people to think for themselves with coming across as a moaning sod.

Any ideas?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:14 - Jan 20 with 1961 viewshoppy

I dunno, what do you think?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:17 - Jan 20 with 1952 viewsgordon

yeah I worked with a few people like that, didn't really know what to do about it
How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:29 - Jan 20 with 1918 viewsDarth_Koont

It's a motivation issue that almost all companies fail with. You need to a) give people control over their own work and let them develop doing it and b) agree an objective they can share.

Now, you could say that people should have the drive to do that themselves or move on if they don't agree with the objective set for them, but that's sticking your head in the sand. Added to which, it's often far easier to get ahead in most organisations by navigating your bubble around the place than actually committing to things that help your organisation and co-workers.

If people are smart enough to be given the responsibility, then they're smart enough to be given a fair bit of autonomy and input into the overall direction.

Pronouns: He/Him

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:57 - Jan 20 with 1877 viewsGeoffSentence

A simple, "then why the f'ck didn't you do something about it" in response to 'I saw that' should probably do it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:59 - Jan 20 with 1861 viewsWeWereZombies

I found a fail safe solution

But you might not be ready to retire early yet...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 12:00 - Jan 20 with 1850 viewshoppy

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:57 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

A simple, "then why the f'ck didn't you do something about it" in response to 'I saw that' should probably do it.

Shame you couldn't apply that to other situations... say someone had said "Oh, Ipswich lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup the other night", to which the response may be "I saw that"...

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 12:01 - Jan 20 with 1839 viewsGeoffSentence

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 12:00 - Jan 20 by hoppy

Shame you couldn't apply that to other situations... say someone had said "Oh, Ipswich lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup the other night", to which the response may be "I saw that"...

If it was MM you were talking to, then the suggested response would be perfectly appropriate.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 12:06 - Jan 20 with 1816 viewshoppy

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 12:01 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

If it was MM you were talking to, then the suggested response would be perfectly appropriate.

Indeed.

Login to get fewer ads

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 13:16 - Jan 20 with 1745 viewsThrobbe

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:57 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

I used to work for a highway contractor and was in a meeting where that happened.

Unfortunately, the subject in question was a fatal road accident. While we weren't found at fault by HSE/police, it could perhaps have been prevented if the guy driving by had stopped and said something.

People had to be physically restrained or there would have been blood spilt. Not a great outcome for a H&S meeting.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:06 - Jan 20 with 1670 viewsipswich78

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 11:29 - Jan 20 by Darth_Koont

It's a motivation issue that almost all companies fail with. You need to a) give people control over their own work and let them develop doing it and b) agree an objective they can share.

Now, you could say that people should have the drive to do that themselves or move on if they don't agree with the objective set for them, but that's sticking your head in the sand. Added to which, it's often far easier to get ahead in most organisations by navigating your bubble around the place than actually committing to things that help your organisation and co-workers.

If people are smart enough to be given the responsibility, then they're smart enough to be given a fair bit of autonomy and input into the overall direction.

Not sure if you read the opening post correctly? Their general day to day work is 'fine' (not amazing but generally fine) - it's the other stuff outside of that.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:12 - Jan 20 with 1649 viewsDarth_Koont

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:06 - Jan 20 by ipswich78

Not sure if you read the opening post correctly? Their general day to day work is 'fine' (not amazing but generally fine) - it's the other stuff outside of that.

It's related. I presume the things they saw are actually important for someone else's objectives but not their own, so they didn't do anything about it. Or if they are part of their job then they just don't care enough about it.

Either way, you can't assume people will do the right thing in a working environment without putting some effort in and communicating with them.

Pronouns: He/Him

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:23 - Jan 20 with 1591 viewsbluelagos

Have worked in organisations where trying to get people to take responsibility has been quite an issue.

1 - Lead by example. Always model what you want people to do, and when they don't, speak to them about it.
2 - Reward those who do as asked. Do this privately and publicly. Show that such behaviours are appreciated and rewarded.
3 - Some won't change. Won't or can't. Decide if you can live with this or not. Is it a serious problem or not.
4 - Finally, if you can't change your staff, change your staff.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:25 - Jan 20 with 1554 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ask yourself how you would respond to them asking you "What's in it for me?"

Deal with that question properly and you're sorted.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:29 - Jan 20 with 1532 viewsRentaghost

When you young you think all the time, when you get older you can get away with it. For instance if a job needs doing ill say to youngers " what do you think" and they will do it. Problem solved.

Poll: Will the club pay a transfer fee before the season starts?

How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:30 - Jan 20 with 1519 viewsTollycobbold

I.e. I recently sorted an issue out and they responded 'oh I saw that'... and yet they didn't think to do anything about it. This is just one example of many, many things...

Once you work this out could you pass it on to the Back 4 so they can utilise it with defending.
How do you deal with people at work who just don't 'think' on 15:36 - Jan 20 with 1470 viewsNewcyBlue

I am a bit hard on my crew. Little mistakes can lead to people being killed, and there's already a shortage of people on the ship.

I work with different nationalities and at times there can be up to 10 different nationalities amongst 20 of us on board. Different nationalities react in different ways to different things.

Since you have already fixed the problem, don't go on a witch-hunt to find out who is to blame, instead clarify whose responsibility it is and inform them. They may not be aware.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024