Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Views on Mick 11:13 - Jan 20 with 6403 viewsMartus

As a man and a manager, he is top notch. Since he came in, he has made me proud to watch my team again, with hard working players and a real underdog spirit. He handles himself with the press very well and comes across as the boss - its his way or the high way. And he was exactly what we needed after Keane and Jewell - someone to build us back together and build a team from scratch again. Since then he has took us forward and turned us to promotion contenders.

Mick was lauded for creating a team that got in to the play offs in his second full season, with freebies and the £90k & £200k we spent on Mings and Sears. Not many people could achieve this, and Mick was the sole reason behind this rise. That team and that season basically worked of Murphy to spearhead our play, where he would chase everything and bring others in to play - aswell as his amazing goal scoring. We based our whole game around him. And we did the same last season, albeit finishing one place off of the playoffs.

This season has been a different story. After watching Fulham and Lincoln, it has proven to me there no game plan, or If there is it simply does not work. Whilst it might not have been pretty to watch (but wins masked this poor football style) we used Murphy as the target man, we bypassed the midfield by launching the ball to Murphy who bring others in to play with his hold up play or he would chase every ball. Without him, we are still playing the same game plan, but Murphy was the reason it worked. Against Fulham and Lincoln we were launching it to Pitman and Best and this does not suit either of their styles. Pitman is a much better player when the ball is at his feet, not chasing loose balls or headers. Best is also in a different mould, a player who is best with his back to players - with the power to hold off players and bringing others in to play. So basically we need to adapt to life without Murphy by playing a style which will better suit our current strikers - something McCarthy has yet to do or figure out.

I really like Mick - for everything he has done for us, which is even more impressive given his budget. Something I cant believe many other managers would be able to do, and create such a great team spirit and team ethic. I love how he handles himself and how he handles the media and just makes he believe that he knows what hes doing - and has that air of confidence and arrogance that makes him a manager that other teams fear.

The only problem is his football style is ancient. But i still believe that with a starting line up which includes Lawrence, Williams, Bishope and McGoldrick he would play a different more attractive style. We, or he, has been incredibly unlucky with the injuries we have had. He has played more defensive and negative due to the quality of players we are missing. I honestly believe this - and I hope this is true, as this is the only thing which has made me keep the faith with Mick. I still remember how well Bishop did 2 seasons ago, he really was a bright light, as well as McGoldrick and WIlliams - they are exciting players which can light up Portman Road when they are back. Its just a case of getting them fit and injury free for a period of time.

The budget we have and the injuries we have had, have tied one of Micks arms behind his back. He is still a great championship manager, but he really has had some bad luck and a poor budget. Rest assured - he would get another job in the championship. He deserves better support from his club, where he has been restricted.

I just believe he is still the manager we need. This season hasn't been great, but under our specific circumstances - the lack of budget and injuries - he has done well. Remember where we are financially with other clubs, he has got us up there for the last 2 seasons where we have no right to be - he has done very very well for us. Yes the style has been poor, that NEEDS to change, but I still believe in him to put it right.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 12:35]

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

My Views on Mick on 13:43 - Jan 23 with 1794 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

My Views on Mick on 13:29 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

Really good post. Agree with a lot of it, including the final paragraph - up to a point.

I fear Mick isn't the person to bring the best out of our creative players. He seems fine with outstanding creative types, like Fraser, Williams and Lawrence, who you can give the ball to and ask them to run past players - 1, 2, 3 of them - and create their own chances. But he's less good at assimilating such players into a total team approach. Hence Ward has gone backwards and doesn't seem to be able to construct a team which can pass, short, snappy balls, play the ball to feet and work their way up the field that way.

I don't necessarily believe that is the only way you can be a successful side, but it helps. And the Lincoln game, above any other game we've played, showed how far we are from that aspiration. Against a team of that level, our technical superiority should show - but it didn't, we showed no technical superiority at all, which is a big worry. And Mick has to take responsibility for that.

As far as this season goes, we're going to end up somewhere just below mid-table, but there is still work to do. For my money, Mick is the best man for this moment, 9 points off relegation places with a few tough games coming up. I'm in the "keep him to keep us up and then part ways" camp. And the interview he gave last week suggests that that's his own personal plan - to see things through to the end of the season and take stock then. And almost certainly to plan his exit with Evans. He seems utterly fed up to me.

And, fwiw, I blame some of our fans for that with their antics this season. I don't much care for people booing our players, booing our manager's decisions, when we don't have a clue about the circumstances behind those decisions (the QPR game being a case in point) and generally questioning everything the manager does. He's a professional football manager and I have much more respect for him than for the fans who have given him so much grief and spew their bile on this forum. But that's just me.

The end result is that he'll no doubt leave in the summer, by mutual agreement to save face, he'll go off to a job somewhere else in time and he'll have my respect and best wishes. Who we'll get to replace him, god only knows. With an owner who isn't going to waste 10s of millions of pounds and a small group of fans who will hound a manager out after 3-4 years, for 1 season of under-performance, I don't suspect we'll have dozens of top notch candidates begging for a job.

I have little doubt that we'll be league 1 within the next five years and we'll look back on this period in our history as being crucial to our decline. And, I have to say, it will be hard to avoid the conclusion that our fans will have played a big part in putting us there.

Just my opinion.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 13:31]

What a wonderful post.
My Views on Mick on 13:48 - Jan 23 with 1776 viewsMartus

My Views on Mick on 13:29 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

Really good post. Agree with a lot of it, including the final paragraph - up to a point.

I fear Mick isn't the person to bring the best out of our creative players. He seems fine with outstanding creative types, like Fraser, Williams and Lawrence, who you can give the ball to and ask them to run past players - 1, 2, 3 of them - and create their own chances. But he's less good at assimilating such players into a total team approach. Hence Ward has gone backwards and doesn't seem to be able to construct a team which can pass, short, snappy balls, play the ball to feet and work their way up the field that way.

I don't necessarily believe that is the only way you can be a successful side, but it helps. And the Lincoln game, above any other game we've played, showed how far we are from that aspiration. Against a team of that level, our technical superiority should show - but it didn't, we showed no technical superiority at all, which is a big worry. And Mick has to take responsibility for that.

As far as this season goes, we're going to end up somewhere just below mid-table, but there is still work to do. For my money, Mick is the best man for this moment, 9 points off relegation places with a few tough games coming up. I'm in the "keep him to keep us up and then part ways" camp. And the interview he gave last week suggests that that's his own personal plan - to see things through to the end of the season and take stock then. And almost certainly to plan his exit with Evans. He seems utterly fed up to me.

And, fwiw, I blame some of our fans for that with their antics this season. I don't much care for people booing our players, booing our manager's decisions, when we don't have a clue about the circumstances behind those decisions (the QPR game being a case in point) and generally questioning everything the manager does. He's a professional football manager and I have much more respect for him than for the fans who have given him so much grief and spew their bile on this forum. But that's just me.

The end result is that he'll no doubt leave in the summer, by mutual agreement to save face, he'll go off to a job somewhere else in time and he'll have my respect and best wishes. Who we'll get to replace him, god only knows. With an owner who isn't going to waste 10s of millions of pounds and a small group of fans who will hound a manager out after 3-4 years, for 1 season of under-performance, I don't suspect we'll have dozens of top notch candidates begging for a job.

I have little doubt that we'll be league 1 within the next five years and we'll look back on this period in our history as being crucial to our decline. And, I have to say, it will be hard to avoid the conclusion that our fans will have played a big part in putting us there.

Just my opinion.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 13:31]

I like to think he did well with Bishop two years ago too, he saw he had the ability with the ball at his feet, and he flourished that season. Where he was outstanding in some very tough games for us. And i think hes doing the same with Lawrence, but again, we are just not getting the ball to his feet enough.

I think he knows the football is rubbish, but in hard times like we are now, he reverts back to no nonsense football. No flair or risks, just try not to loose. Its not what we want or what we want to see, but he believes its what we need to survive this league....

I want to believe that he is capable of bringing better football, even after another lacklustre performance on Saturday..... I'm hopeful more than anything.

My Views on Mick on 13:57 - Jan 23 with 1752 viewsSuperfrans

My Views on Mick on 13:48 - Jan 23 by Martus

I like to think he did well with Bishop two years ago too, he saw he had the ability with the ball at his feet, and he flourished that season. Where he was outstanding in some very tough games for us. And i think hes doing the same with Lawrence, but again, we are just not getting the ball to his feet enough.

I think he knows the football is rubbish, but in hard times like we are now, he reverts back to no nonsense football. No flair or risks, just try not to loose. Its not what we want or what we want to see, but he believes its what we need to survive this league....

I want to believe that he is capable of bringing better football, even after another lacklustre performance on Saturday..... I'm hopeful more than anything.

Yes, Bishop is another good example of an outstanding player. Again though, we clearly don't play with the ball first - Mick's a pragmatic manager (like Sam and Nigel, who are of the same generation) and that means playing to percentages, which have their place, of course.

I too hope he steers back to some of the better football we've played recently - like against QPR and Blackburn. And I'm sure he will, if we have the personnel available - which, given our current injuries, is a big "if".

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

My Views on Mick on 14:15 - Jan 23 with 1719 viewsMartus

My Views on Mick on 13:57 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

Yes, Bishop is another good example of an outstanding player. Again though, we clearly don't play with the ball first - Mick's a pragmatic manager (like Sam and Nigel, who are of the same generation) and that means playing to percentages, which have their place, of course.

I too hope he steers back to some of the better football we've played recently - like against QPR and Blackburn. And I'm sure he will, if we have the personnel available - which, given our current injuries, is a big "if".

Completely true.

I just have to believe Mick brought these players in to use their creative talents. And that when they get back in the side, Mick will let them play more "football" and give us something more entertaining to watch other than Knudsen and Berra lumping the ball forward.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 14:18]

My Views on Mick on 11:09 - Jan 24 with 1633 viewschislehurstblue

My Views on Mick on 13:43 - Jan 23 by King_ding_a_lin_g

What a wonderful post.

possibly one of the best posts on TWTD.

We have an owner that no longer wants to put in enough money to make us competitive in this league nevermind a force. he puts in as little as possible in hope that we dont go down. The £6m is just to balance the books really.

We have sold our best players year on year and replaced them with frees/loans and this has finally caught up with us.

Why do fans believe that another manager with a very small budget and this group of poor players will be any better? The reason we play like we do is to give ourselves a chance in a game as we arent going to score 3 or 4 a game playing nice football, which the squad cant do, would see us being beaten most weeks inside the first 30 mins.

Whilst the owner cant afford to make us competitive I would rather be in the championship playing defensive football rather than trying to play nice football in league one as once we go down, and we will go down in the next 5 years, we wont come back up for many years. We will be another Sheff Utd, Coventry rather than a Norwich or Saints etc.
My Views on Mick on 11:49 - Jan 24 with 1621 viewsrickw

Lots of good points on here, from the OP and many replies said what I was going to!

I agree Mick has over achieved with the level of players we've had, however we've now more more technical players in but aren't playing to their strengths.

I see there's a decision now:
Stick with Mick - we are very unlikely to go up or go down, it won't be great football and we'll probably lose a few more unhappy fans.
Or change manager, trying to find one who wants to build a team around our youths playing to their strengths (and not the strengths of Murphy, who's no longer here!) this will make us far more likely to go up or down, but attendances I can only see staying the same or going up if we have a bit of success.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

My Views on Mick on 12:18 - Jan 24 with 1594 viewschislehurstblue

My Views on Mick on 11:49 - Jan 24 by rickw

Lots of good points on here, from the OP and many replies said what I was going to!

I agree Mick has over achieved with the level of players we've had, however we've now more more technical players in but aren't playing to their strengths.

I see there's a decision now:
Stick with Mick - we are very unlikely to go up or go down, it won't be great football and we'll probably lose a few more unhappy fans.
Or change manager, trying to find one who wants to build a team around our youths playing to their strengths (and not the strengths of Murphy, who's no longer here!) this will make us far more likely to go up or down, but attendances I can only see staying the same or going up if we have a bit of success.

agreed. Problem is with this set of players and budget we may try to play football and lose, which means relegation.
My Views on Mick on 12:45 - Jan 24 with 1579 viewsClausThomsen

He's had a strong team most of the season, the injuries have only picked up recently. Despite this we still play most games struggling to even get a shot on target. If we were creating chances it wouldn't be a worry but since Murphy has gone we've been clueless.

Murphy was 33, and does pick up the odd injury. We had absolutely no contingency plan for this "our most important player", even when he was sold the best we could think of was Connor Washington, Lukas Jutciewicz or other championship strikers. We know Pitman can't do the Murphy role, we learned that last season. So Mick was happy to enter the season fully reliant on a 33 year old that had just played in a major tournament, with no idea what to do when that player was out.

Even now, our targets are other championship strikers - if we don't like spending money then why are we targeting the worst value players possible. There's plenty of other football leagues on this planet. One's just a ferry ride away.

Sorry, but Mick's time here is done. A terrible season so far, and after the Blackburn match you don't change that winning team. We struggled at home to Lincoln with a "full strength" team, to chuck in players like Best who's barely played and expect Lincoln to roll over at home and on national TV was beyond cocky. Butcher was absolutely right. How many chances did we create against a conference side over 2 legs? A couple of shots that most keepers would have saved and a 25 yard scuff that the Lincoln keeper did.

The Blackburn game looked like a corner turned after that cowardly, short-sighted substitution at QPR. And what happens at Huddersfield? He tries to sit on a 1-0 loss. It's Huddersfield! They haven't got parachute payments or a bigger budget. But they've got a plan.

I'm not sure how many other clubs keep a manager that gets subjected to chants like that from his own fans before the inevitable happens. But the inevitable needs to happen soon.
Login to get fewer ads

My Views on Mick on 12:46 - Jan 24 with 1578 viewsPilgrimblue

My Views on Mick on 18:04 - Jan 20 by Luk38644

Brilliant OP.

Mick has plenty of faults and while I wouldn't mind seeing him leave in the summer, I would be very happy to stick with Mick if the style of play improved and we actually saw a plan materialising in front of us, but it just doesn't feel like that at the moment.

I said yesterday that I genuinely feel sorry for the fact he's had a basic budget to work with and we're a mid-table side based on our budget, but that can't excuse the shocking performances we've seen this season at times.

I think most of us agree that the ideal scenario is for Mick to be a success here, turn us around and get us up there again, but the last few months, I've seriously questioned if he's capable of doing that anymore, and that makes me sad more than angry, because like you say, he seems a top bloke and he's done alot for us.

Agreed but looking at his time at Wolves and Sunderland it seems that he has great start and then tails off leaving both clubs in same sort of state as he found them. So here we are we get 6th and 7th and now the same, he can't keep it up.
While injuries have played a part, it's still his style that has put us in this position. It took him weeks to pick Williams over Douglas and only recently started 352 when it was clear that Chambers was best at CB. Emmanuel has good game but got dropped next one and Kenlock is as good as jk if not better. We can see it but he can't.
My Views on Mick on 16:44 - Jan 24 with 1539 viewschislehurstblue

My Views on Mick on 12:45 - Jan 24 by ClausThomsen

He's had a strong team most of the season, the injuries have only picked up recently. Despite this we still play most games struggling to even get a shot on target. If we were creating chances it wouldn't be a worry but since Murphy has gone we've been clueless.

Murphy was 33, and does pick up the odd injury. We had absolutely no contingency plan for this "our most important player", even when he was sold the best we could think of was Connor Washington, Lukas Jutciewicz or other championship strikers. We know Pitman can't do the Murphy role, we learned that last season. So Mick was happy to enter the season fully reliant on a 33 year old that had just played in a major tournament, with no idea what to do when that player was out.

Even now, our targets are other championship strikers - if we don't like spending money then why are we targeting the worst value players possible. There's plenty of other football leagues on this planet. One's just a ferry ride away.

Sorry, but Mick's time here is done. A terrible season so far, and after the Blackburn match you don't change that winning team. We struggled at home to Lincoln with a "full strength" team, to chuck in players like Best who's barely played and expect Lincoln to roll over at home and on national TV was beyond cocky. Butcher was absolutely right. How many chances did we create against a conference side over 2 legs? A couple of shots that most keepers would have saved and a 25 yard scuff that the Lincoln keeper did.

The Blackburn game looked like a corner turned after that cowardly, short-sighted substitution at QPR. And what happens at Huddersfield? He tries to sit on a 1-0 loss. It's Huddersfield! They haven't got parachute payments or a bigger budget. But they've got a plan.

I'm not sure how many other clubs keep a manager that gets subjected to chants like that from his own fans before the inevitable happens. But the inevitable needs to happen soon.

I disagree that we have had a strong team for most of the season. McGoldrick, Williams, Hyam, Pitman, Bishop and now Webster have all had very lenghly spells on the sidelines. I would imagine had all been fit (match fit) then most would have played 85% of our games this season.

Its seems that the decision was taken to sell Murphy was in my view was good business. Not getting a replacement was awful business. I can only imagine that Evans didnt want to spend all the £3m on a replacement and the players that may have been cheaper options were still out of the range that MM was given. If we are offering £1m for players worth £3-5 its all a bit pointless.

Its clear we wanted to replace Murphy but all the selling clubs know we have received £3m and no doubt wanted approx that value for their players and it left and selling club with a hole in their squad.

yes, its a terrible season. No denying that. But we have sold our best players almost every year and replaced them with frees/loans and this had now caught up with us. Evans thinks that we can get promoted on the cheap. Those days are gone now with the parachute payments.

Whats wrong with championship strikers? I think you need players with experience in this league - Look at what Rafa has brought in at Newcastle, top quality players who have experience in this league. The same for Pulis in the PL - Every player he has brought apart from Rondon has plenty of PL experience. In fact the players he has brought in so far this window have been the players who mention we should sign....?!?

These short sighted subs you mention at QPR - Wasnt the players injured?

I am not sure what will we gain from changing manager? Do you think that Evans will suddenly give him £10m a season? Do you think that this very average group of players will suddenly become gifted footballers who can pass the ball around whilst defending well?

ME will appoint a similar manager to MM if he goes - If not a complete change in direction will cost too much and comes with the danger that it might not work and we get relegated.Fans seem to think that we sack MM and suddenly we are going to play the kids, win every week and progress.

The squad is poor, the kids arent that good (although one or two have potential), there isnt any money, we are where we should be with the budget. Why is that hard to understand.
My Views on Mick on 17:10 - Jan 24 with 1528 viewsClausThomsen

My Views on Mick on 16:44 - Jan 24 by chislehurstblue

I disagree that we have had a strong team for most of the season. McGoldrick, Williams, Hyam, Pitman, Bishop and now Webster have all had very lenghly spells on the sidelines. I would imagine had all been fit (match fit) then most would have played 85% of our games this season.

Its seems that the decision was taken to sell Murphy was in my view was good business. Not getting a replacement was awful business. I can only imagine that Evans didnt want to spend all the £3m on a replacement and the players that may have been cheaper options were still out of the range that MM was given. If we are offering £1m for players worth £3-5 its all a bit pointless.

Its clear we wanted to replace Murphy but all the selling clubs know we have received £3m and no doubt wanted approx that value for their players and it left and selling club with a hole in their squad.

yes, its a terrible season. No denying that. But we have sold our best players almost every year and replaced them with frees/loans and this had now caught up with us. Evans thinks that we can get promoted on the cheap. Those days are gone now with the parachute payments.

Whats wrong with championship strikers? I think you need players with experience in this league - Look at what Rafa has brought in at Newcastle, top quality players who have experience in this league. The same for Pulis in the PL - Every player he has brought apart from Rondon has plenty of PL experience. In fact the players he has brought in so far this window have been the players who mention we should sign....?!?

These short sighted subs you mention at QPR - Wasnt the players injured?

I am not sure what will we gain from changing manager? Do you think that Evans will suddenly give him £10m a season? Do you think that this very average group of players will suddenly become gifted footballers who can pass the ball around whilst defending well?

ME will appoint a similar manager to MM if he goes - If not a complete change in direction will cost too much and comes with the danger that it might not work and we get relegated.Fans seem to think that we sack MM and suddenly we are going to play the kids, win every week and progress.

The squad is poor, the kids arent that good (although one or two have potential), there isnt any money, we are where we should be with the budget. Why is that hard to understand.

Bishop and Williams when fit were largely left on the bench. Bishop was dropped for Douglas after the Forest defeat (which was after the Hillsboro win).

If Murphy's so integral then Mick should have had an understudy or at least someone in mind. We scored goals under Mick before Murphy arrived (remember DJ Campbell?), and considering he was saying we had "4 of the best strikers in the league", the loss of one shouldn't hit us as hard it has.

We have never competed with teams in this division for wages and fees, as a club we have to play to our strengths. We've always developed players, either signings from lower leagues or academy products. Apart from Webster, who's now injured, I'm not seeing any progression in our players. Sears being the most extreme example of regression.

What we would gain from a change in manager is a united fan base in the short term, "Sacked in the morning" and "you're football is sh*t" isn't going to stop and isn't helping. And it's completely justified after that shower last Tuesday. Let him have it.

But you're right regarding ME - another risk averse managerial appointment of someone who has no affinity for the club could cost us the drop in the long term. But the right appointment would get us moving in the right direction. Burley's pretty much said he'd take it if offered. I'd give it to him until the summer then have a proper sit down and quiet word with myself, if I were ME.

Players like Dozzell, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Bishop and probably Benyu and a couple of others are approaching the first team now - it's a critical phase, Burley would be perfect to bed them in.

McCarthy isn't going to do a 'Bobby Robson' - he's done a 'Mick McCarthy'. Time to get rid was last Tuesday. He's run out of ideas and excuses.

The squad isn't poor, it's being poorly used. And it's taken 4 years for him to assemble.
My Views on Mick on 17:32 - Jan 24 with 1514 viewschislehurstblue

My Views on Mick on 17:10 - Jan 24 by ClausThomsen

Bishop and Williams when fit were largely left on the bench. Bishop was dropped for Douglas after the Forest defeat (which was after the Hillsboro win).

If Murphy's so integral then Mick should have had an understudy or at least someone in mind. We scored goals under Mick before Murphy arrived (remember DJ Campbell?), and considering he was saying we had "4 of the best strikers in the league", the loss of one shouldn't hit us as hard it has.

We have never competed with teams in this division for wages and fees, as a club we have to play to our strengths. We've always developed players, either signings from lower leagues or academy products. Apart from Webster, who's now injured, I'm not seeing any progression in our players. Sears being the most extreme example of regression.

What we would gain from a change in manager is a united fan base in the short term, "Sacked in the morning" and "you're football is sh*t" isn't going to stop and isn't helping. And it's completely justified after that shower last Tuesday. Let him have it.

But you're right regarding ME - another risk averse managerial appointment of someone who has no affinity for the club could cost us the drop in the long term. But the right appointment would get us moving in the right direction. Burley's pretty much said he'd take it if offered. I'd give it to him until the summer then have a proper sit down and quiet word with myself, if I were ME.

Players like Dozzell, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Bishop and probably Benyu and a couple of others are approaching the first team now - it's a critical phase, Burley would be perfect to bed them in.

McCarthy isn't going to do a 'Bobby Robson' - he's done a 'Mick McCarthy'. Time to get rid was last Tuesday. He's run out of ideas and excuses.

The squad isn't poor, it's being poorly used. And it's taken 4 years for him to assemble.

I agree with some of that. The loss of any of the other 3 wouldnt have affect us as much as Murphy. McGoldrick is always injured, Sears isnt very good (No, MM hasnt ruined him) there is a good reason after a number of failed loans he ended up a Colchester) and Pitman, who is a half decent goal scorer, but offers very little outside the box. The one player we couldnt afford to lose / not replace was Murphy. Once sold, MM clearly wasnt given the appropriate funds to replace him. Even now ME hasnt learnt his lesson. He has had Sept to Jan to see what happens when you sell your best players and replace with frees - Murphy- Best, McGoldrick out for 12 weeks Varney. Hyam, Bishop out - bring in squad player Douglas.

You are right we should have had back up for Murphy but I guess it was down to budget. Much like not really have a right back etc. We have very little money and we spent it where we could.

Out of interest when was the last time we brought a player through who has made a sustainable impact on the 1st team? Lots have shown potential. Mings clearly, Cresswell too, but thats what we are trying to do with Ward and Webster. Before that Wickham and how many years ago was that.

One thing MM has done is got the youth set up back up again after keane destroyed it. However, like every football club in the world we over play our kids potential. I very much believe the majority of the kids in and around the 1st team now will end up being more like Matt Richards, Jamie Peters etc rather than Dyer, Wright, Bramble, Wickham etc. No denying Dozzell have the potential, but Bishop has gone backwards with injuries. The two kids are full back look just about acceptable, which says more about our aspirations than anything.

Whilst its about time he left at the end of the season. i do fear for us next season. We will still have the same budget, a squad that a year older and kids that at the moment dont look anywhere near ready. When you see that Douglas is performing better than Bishop & williams its hardly surprising we are gong to fail. There is no quality in the squad - I cant understand where this is coming from that this is the best squad in a number of years. The last few years we have had one player to carry the whole team be it Murphy, Fraser, Mings or Creswell. This season we have seen flashes of brilliance from Lawrence, but not at the same consistency at the previous players mentioned.

The club is dead and whilst ME is in charge its all going one way. The aim for him is to survive in this division. Thats all.
My Views on Mick on 18:12 - Jan 24 with 1489 viewsClausThomsen

My Views on Mick on 17:32 - Jan 24 by chislehurstblue

I agree with some of that. The loss of any of the other 3 wouldnt have affect us as much as Murphy. McGoldrick is always injured, Sears isnt very good (No, MM hasnt ruined him) there is a good reason after a number of failed loans he ended up a Colchester) and Pitman, who is a half decent goal scorer, but offers very little outside the box. The one player we couldnt afford to lose / not replace was Murphy. Once sold, MM clearly wasnt given the appropriate funds to replace him. Even now ME hasnt learnt his lesson. He has had Sept to Jan to see what happens when you sell your best players and replace with frees - Murphy- Best, McGoldrick out for 12 weeks Varney. Hyam, Bishop out - bring in squad player Douglas.

You are right we should have had back up for Murphy but I guess it was down to budget. Much like not really have a right back etc. We have very little money and we spent it where we could.

Out of interest when was the last time we brought a player through who has made a sustainable impact on the 1st team? Lots have shown potential. Mings clearly, Cresswell too, but thats what we are trying to do with Ward and Webster. Before that Wickham and how many years ago was that.

One thing MM has done is got the youth set up back up again after keane destroyed it. However, like every football club in the world we over play our kids potential. I very much believe the majority of the kids in and around the 1st team now will end up being more like Matt Richards, Jamie Peters etc rather than Dyer, Wright, Bramble, Wickham etc. No denying Dozzell have the potential, but Bishop has gone backwards with injuries. The two kids are full back look just about acceptable, which says more about our aspirations than anything.

Whilst its about time he left at the end of the season. i do fear for us next season. We will still have the same budget, a squad that a year older and kids that at the moment dont look anywhere near ready. When you see that Douglas is performing better than Bishop & williams its hardly surprising we are gong to fail. There is no quality in the squad - I cant understand where this is coming from that this is the best squad in a number of years. The last few years we have had one player to carry the whole team be it Murphy, Fraser, Mings or Creswell. This season we have seen flashes of brilliance from Lawrence, but not at the same consistency at the previous players mentioned.

The club is dead and whilst ME is in charge its all going one way. The aim for him is to survive in this division. Thats all.

Why wait till the end of the season?

What good is McCarthy staying here? He's clearly lost most of the supporters, he's getting abuse every match, and he can't get a team to create any decent chances.

He's relying on a Leicester whizz kid saving his blushes most weeks, with ridiculous long range efforts.

I agree about ME, he's a poor chairman. One of his main weaknesses is that he doesn't sack a manager soon enough. Keane was given months too long, Jewell was allowed to take us to the bottom of the league before anything was done. We're in that same limbo now with McCarthy.
My Views on Mick on 20:48 - Jan 24 with 1440 viewsPilgrimblue

My Views on Mick on 18:12 - Jan 24 by ClausThomsen

What good is McCarthy staying here? He's clearly lost most of the supporters, he's getting abuse every match, and he can't get a team to create any decent chances.

He's relying on a Leicester whizz kid saving his blushes most weeks, with ridiculous long range efforts.

I agree about ME, he's a poor chairman. One of his main weaknesses is that he doesn't sack a manager soon enough. Keane was given months too long, Jewell was allowed to take us to the bottom of the league before anything was done. We're in that same limbo now with McCarthy.

lots of good points in all these long posts but for me doing nothing isn't an option.

MM would have been sacked by most Owners (lots have gone for less!) after Lincoln and then given new manager the rest of window to sort out squad , even with little funding.

Also ME would have to offer new guy some promise of funds, otherwise why would he come. Just imagine the first meeting with ME saying that there's no funds but expect to stay up! Even a cheap option such as Burley would want more than that.

At the moment we can't defend so need to score more than two to get 3 points. Lawrence and Bart have been the stars but until we get new manager the team wont play to their best ability.
My Views on Mick on 06:47 - Jan 25 with 1412 viewsBenters

My Views on Mick on 12:19 - Jan 20 by Martus

Why thank you.

Never fear change !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

My Views on Mick on 08:51 - Jan 25 with 1384 viewschislehurstblue

My Views on Mick on 18:12 - Jan 24 by ClausThomsen

Because I dont see any other manager thats out of work being any better or playing a brand of football that our supporters believe that we should be playing. Not once have these fans thought to themselves - "is our current squad good enough to play football?"

To be honest we have been relying on one player in every season for a number of years be in Murphy, Fraser and now Lawrence. We just dont have the budget to have 2 or 3 of them in the team at the same time. Considering that 2 of those players have been loans and the other sold shows the level we are at in terms of finance.

I dont think we will get relegated under MM has he will grind out a few draws and the odd win. A change of manager at this point that tries to come in and change the style and set up for which will be too much for the majority of these players could see us get relegated. Ferguson, Pep and Wenger couldnt get this lot to play football, they just arent good enough. We play in a way that gets the best out of a poor group of players. You get what you pay for and we havent paid any money 95% of them so its a little hard to expect them to be talented, technical footballers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024