Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... 15:19 - Jan 20 with 1101 viewstractorshark

I, for one, would have parted company with McCarthy on Wednesday morning.
But maybe waiting until the end of the season is the sensible option.
For starters, if we sack him now, the payoff is more.
Then you've got to find a replacement who's out of work because we probably can't afford compensation.
And even if we do find someone, by the time he's installed and he's run the rule over the squad, the transfer window will be all but over.
Yes, there may be an instant upturn in results but the uncertainty and change may also lead to a downturn and a relegation scrap.
For all of McCarthy's faults, I don't think we will get relegated under him this season.
And maybe that's the reason to hold off until the end of the season.
Even Mick seemed to suggest a parting of the ways in the summer unless there's a monumental turnaround.
I can't see that regardless of whether we change the manager or not right now.
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 15:29 - Jan 20 with 1059 viewsclive_baker

My head completely agrees with you. There's really not a lot of value in getting rid now. Also, if we replace him now and we have an average end to this season, that new manager enthusiasm and impact on season ticket sales will probably be minimal. If it's done as a 'thanks but time for a change' and MM moves on amicably at the end of the season I think the club could extend the 'early bird' and spin it quite nicely.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 15:57 - Jan 20 with 999 viewsVaughan8

Don't come on here giving sensible arguments. Thats probably why not many people have posted on this thread! haha

I actually agree with you. I do want MM gone really. His football is dire and boring, but I think he will keep us from going down, and then we can all amically part ways at the end of the season.

If this is the plan, then we shouldn't let Mick sign any expensive players and just keep that for the summer!
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:04 - Jan 20 with 985 viewspeterleeblue

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 15:57 - Jan 20 by Vaughan8

Don't come on here giving sensible arguments. Thats probably why not many people have posted on this thread! haha

I actually agree with you. I do want MM gone really. His football is dire and boring, but I think he will keep us from going down, and then we can all amically part ways at the end of the season.

If this is the plan, then we shouldn't let Mick sign any expensive players and just keep that for the summer!

and has the added benefit of treating Mick with respect whish may be a major factor on the quality of replacement we are able to attract.
On an emotional level Mick should HAVE to stay around with us while we recover from Tuesday night!! Why should he get away with it so to speak.
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:12 - Jan 20 with 957 viewsOsborneOneNil

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 15:57 - Jan 20 by Vaughan8

Agreed. Keep until the summer, but don't let him spend loads
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:14 - Jan 20 with 948 viewsRocky

If we were to lose by, say, 4 or 5 to Huddersfield, would any of you change your minds?
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:15 - Jan 20 with 938 viewsGuthrum

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:12 - Jan 20 by OsborneOneNil

Agreed. Keep until the summer, but don't let him spend loads

However, if we do buy a quality player for a bit of money, they will still be a useful member of the squad for any new manager coming in. If they're a decent footballer, they're a decent footballer whatever the circumstances. No point in holding off on a potentially good signing which may overall improve the team just because the manager may be on his way out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:20 - Jan 20 with 923 viewsWarkalone

Don't agree at all. Get rid of him now and get somebody else in asap if you can to oversee any tranfers (haha!). Also the new manager then has the rest of the season to assess the squad and can see what is really needed for next season. This will give him far longer to get a reasonable squad for the start of next season and know the players' strengths and weaknesses.
It will also vastly improve the amount of season ticket holders renewing for next season which should improve the money flow for transfers in the summer.
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:22 - Jan 20 with 913 viewsGuthrum

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:14 - Jan 20 by Rocky

If we were to lose by, say, 4 or 5 to Huddersfield, would any of you change your minds?

How likely is that, given League performances over the two-and-a-half months? We've only lost by that kind of margin once (the Reading game) since November 2012.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:27 - Jan 20 with 894 viewsRocky

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:22 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

How likely is that, given League performances over the two-and-a-half months? We've only lost by that kind of margin once (the Reading game) since November 2012.

If we play like we did against Lincoln I would say that it's quite possible.
Should we replicate that dire performance over the next 2 or 3 games, can we be so sure that Mick can keep us up?
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:34 - Jan 20 with 865 viewsFtnfwest

To a degree but read the Lincoln forums since Tuesday night to put it all in perspective again...
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 17:25 - Jan 20 with 767 viewshoppy

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:27 - Jan 20 by Rocky

If we play like we did against Lincoln I would say that it's quite possible.
Should we replicate that dire performance over the next 2 or 3 games, can we be so sure that Mick can keep us up?

But if we play like we did against Blackburn, it is doubtful that we would lose like that, and indeed, could quite possibly pull off a few shocks ourselves if we're going into games as the underdogs. Such is football.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 17:34 - Jan 20 with 744 viewsPilgrimblue

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 16:14 - Jan 20 by Rocky

I would've sacked him at start of month and given new manager time and even now that could be enough. However, expect some new faces that may get him to May.
In the event that we sunk to relegation place, I think fans will be pointing at ME for reasons why he didn't change after Lincoln debacle.
The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 17:35 - Jan 20 with 742 viewspointofblue

The problem with getting rid of McCarthy right now... on 17:25 - Jan 20 by hoppy

But if we play like we did against Blackburn, it is doubtful that we would lose like that, and indeed, could quite possibly pull off a few shocks ourselves if we're going into games as the underdogs. Such is football.

And that's the crux of the issue - people at work don't believe it when I tell them our last three league performances (Bristol City, QPR and Blackburn) have actually been reasonable. OK, we're not pulling up any trees, but they've been a step in the right direction.

As much as the pit of my stomach warns me otherwise the Lincoln matches seem an anomaly, maybe because the players didn't care enough or Lincoln were so fired up they took us by surprise (twice). We've had a few dire league performances - second half at Brentford, against Fulham, Nottingham Forest, Rotherham at home - where we've been embarrassed but we often follow them up with a decent game (reasonable draw at Wolves followed by the Norwich game after Brentford; the Bristol City win after Fulham; the victory at Sheffield Wednesday after Rotherham; beating QPR 3-0 post Forest). Hopefully the same will happen this time.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024