Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? 15:40 - Jan 20 with 1671 viewsNewcyBlue

Man dies in ship boiler room 'explosion' in Felixstowe -

Very possibly a crankcase fire. Awful stuff, never fun fighting a fire on board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38687852

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 15:44 - Jan 20 with 1639 viewsITFC1983

I heard about it this morning. First on the radio and then from my forwarder as I have a couple of boxes on that ship!

But i couldn't give a F about the containers when someone has lost their life. Horrific stuff.

RIP the unfortunate person who was involved and hope the 2nd person pulls through.

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 16:19 - Jan 20 with 1538 viewslupadon81

Was working up the quay, seemed to happen while coming alongside, a very somber shift.. very sad
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 16:20]
Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 16:23 - Jan 20 with 1517 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 15:44 - Jan 20 by ITFC1983

I heard about it this morning. First on the radio and then from my forwarder as I have a couple of boxes on that ship!

But i couldn't give a F about the containers when someone has lost their life. Horrific stuff.

RIP the unfortunate person who was involved and hope the 2nd person pulls through.

Agreed. I always tell my crew how safety is more important than the job etc.

The ship was almost alongside. It was almost job done.

If this had been anywhere but the UK I doubt it would be reported on the BBC news site. They are only really interested in Cruise ships

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 16:30 - Jan 20 with 1497 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 16:19 - Jan 20 by lupadon81

Was working up the quay, seemed to happen while coming alongside, a very somber shift.. very sad

I can imagine it was an odd shift. Felixstowe is well equipped for most emergencies really.

What shift are you on?

When I was last in Felixstowe on the Evelyn one of the Stevedores that came on was Filipino. He was chatting away to my crew then came over to me to ask about how he can get his boy into it all.

I enjoyed that port stay

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 17:20 - Jan 20 with 1421 viewsTaricco_Fan

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 16:19 - Jan 20 by lupadon81

I work there too and was on shift last night. I was in the vicinity of the vessel and It sounded like a bomb going off.

RIP to the deceased and I hope the injured person pulls though.
Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 20:13 - Jan 20 with 1301 viewsBlueorder

Just read a book called 'Down To The Sea In Ships' Paints a picture of a very hard and often dangerous life sailing the worlds oceans.
Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 21:47 - Jan 20 with 1222 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 20:13 - Jan 20 by Blueorder

Just read a book called 'Down To The Sea In Ships' Paints a picture of a very hard and often dangerous life sailing the worlds oceans.

I have that. Haven't read it yet though.

Horatio Clare spent time on my boats for that.

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 21:50 - Jan 20 with 1213 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone hear an explosion last night in Felixstowe? on 17:20 - Jan 20 by Taricco_Fan

I work there too and was on shift last night. I was in the vicinity of the vessel and It sounded like a bomb going off.

RIP to the deceased and I hope the injured person pulls though.

Indeed. My thoughts are with them all, the families and the shipmates.

My experience of death on board is that the crew often rally round and do a collection to send to the family of the deceased. Insurance from the company should take care of them, it is usually a gesture from the shipmates that we do.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024