Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone really be surprised by that? 20:06 - Jan 21 with 2481 viewsitfcjoe

Look at the team, and the squad we have currently fit....

Gerken - a back up at this level

Spence - not played a game in 8 months
Emmanuel - Looked decent recently but a dozen senior games
Digby - not good enough (yet?)
Chambers - Playing well enough
Berra - Playing awfully
Knudsen - not up to it

Skuse - Decent enough
Dozzell - not really impacted a game from the start yet, with great potential though
Bru - Plays well ever 3rd game for an hour
Douglas - Past it
Ward - Bright start but been poor recently

Lawrence - Excellent
Sears - 2 goals in over a year
Moore - couldn't get into the Forest Green team

But it's alright, we are signing a bloke that has been training with the kids at Leeds for the season.

The squad is an absolute dire state - we currently have 3 players who on current form are good enough for this level (Lawrence, Skuse and Chambers)

Obviously Mick is struggling - but what is any manager going to do with what we have fit?

We've gone into the window desperate for quality and the have added f*ck all to it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:11 - Jan 21 with 1754 viewsGuthrum

Don't think that anybody could claim that our transfer window activity has really been adequate, let alone the improvement which was (and still is) needed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:13 - Jan 21 with 1731 viewscruncher

So the squad is crap and not as good as you and many thought hey?
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:16 - Jan 21 with 1712 viewsAdmiralFunge

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:13 - Jan 21 by cruncher

He can speak for himself, but I don't remember Joe ever suggesting the squad was anything better than average.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:17 - Jan 21 with 1709 viewsdavblue

The lad from Leeds is decent enough and will be an upgrade on Douglas.

The balance of the team isn't right in age range, players for the way Mick wants to play there has been no plan it's becoming more and more obvious. Too much filler has been signed whether that's money or Mick choosing to do it that way. Certainly when we lost Parr for example that was the time to get a proper first team right back but we got Foley as an understudy.

There's a lot wrong with the club and a good manager can cover the cracks up which Mick has done.
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:17 - Jan 21 with 1701 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The logical conclusion is that Marcus has given up and is preparing us for league 1.
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:18 - Jan 21 with 1661 viewsGuthrum

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:13 - Jan 21 by cruncher

Look at the injury list today. Includes many of our better or more promising players (e.g. McGoldrick, Bishop, Williams, Kenlock, Bialkowski, Smith). If they were available, we would have a far better quality squad. But they're all out at once.

In addition, you have players like Berra, who has fallen very badly off form.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 20:19]

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:20 - Jan 21 with 1627 viewscruncher

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:16 - Jan 21 by AdmiralFunge

He can speak for himself, but I don't remember Joe ever suggesting the squad was anything better than average.

I think when I stated in my eyes this was a below average championship squad I was told by many I was wrong and by many a poster on here I'm glad people are now seeing it for what it really is and that we are being managed by a has been.
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:23 - Jan 21 with 1589 viewscruncher

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:18 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

Look at the injury list today. Includes many of our better or more promising players (e.g. McGoldrick, Bishop, Williams, Kenlock, Bialkowski, Smith). If they were available, we would have a far better quality squad. But they're all out at once.

In addition, you have players like Berra, who has fallen very badly off form.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 20:19]

But to be honest those players are just about average championship players if they were anything different they wouldn't be here,only Bart and mc goldrick stand out there.
Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:24 - Jan 21 with 1575 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:17 - Jan 21 by davblue

The lad from Leeds is decent enough and will be an upgrade on Douglas.

The balance of the team isn't right in age range, players for the way Mick wants to play there has been no plan it's becoming more and more obvious. Too much filler has been signed whether that's money or Mick choosing to do it that way. Certainly when we lost Parr for example that was the time to get a proper first team right back but we got Foley as an understudy.

There's a lot wrong with the club and a good manager can cover the cracks up which Mick has done.

The problem is we don't just need an upgrade on Douglas, because there are plenty of them about, we need a proper good quality Champ CM.

The lack of investment has caught up with us, and Mick hasn't been able to get blood out of a stone this year. Amazes me the level of stick he is getting compared to the owner.

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:25 - Jan 21 with 1544 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:17 - Jan 21 by FrowsyArmLarry

The logical conclusion is that Marcus has given up and is preparing us for league 1.

Taken his eye off the ball since the Rio ticket fiasco?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:26 - Jan 21 with 1524 viewsReuser_is_God

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:25 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Was the Rio ticket fiasco going on towards the end of August by any chance?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:28 - Jan 21 with 1499 viewsGuthrum

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:23 - Jan 21 by cruncher

But to be honest those players are just about average championship players if they were anything different they wouldn't be here,only Bart and mc goldrick stand out there.

About 90% of Championship players are "average". Otherwise they'd have been scooped up by the Prem.

It's about how you use them and forge them into a team. Which is what McCarthy did so well between 2012 and early 2015, but which seems to have fallen to pieces now. Like a good, stout cardboard box which gets tatty, soggy and the bottom falls out. There's only so many times you can repair it with tape.

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:29 - Jan 21 with 1485 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:26 - Jan 21 by Reuser_is_God

Was the Rio ticket fiasco going on towards the end of August by any chance?

Yep

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:30 - Jan 21 with 1469 viewsdavblue

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:24 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

The problem is we don't just need an upgrade on Douglas, because there are plenty of them about, we need a proper good quality Champ CM.

The lack of investment has caught up with us, and Mick hasn't been able to get blood out of a stone this year. Amazes me the level of stick he is getting compared to the owner.

We need some legs in that midfield.

There's blame on all sides imo. Mick hasn't and doesn't help himself but hes succeeded everywhere he's been apart from here so far.

The financial side in the last 2 years has moved on and Evans's investment hasn't, we will be lower mid table even relegation candidates if something doesn't change.
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:30 - Jan 21 with 1465 viewsGuthrum

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:25 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

One wonders how much time Evans actually has to devote to matters such as ITFC transfer negotiations, given his primary job is running a sizeable global business. Could that be part of the problem, why deals are not nailed down?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:31 - Jan 21 with 1466 viewsTrequartista

With the exception of Chambers they're all McCarthy's players. What total mess he's made. And his post-match interview is pathetic, no anger or plans to change things, just same old cliches. He couldn't give a monkeys he's on a nice salary.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:31 - Jan 21 with 1452 viewsSWGF

Quality costs money.

That's where our strategy falls flat.

Simple as that.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:32 - Jan 21 with 1440 viewsReuser_is_God

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:29 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Yep

No coincidence that that's when our season ended.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:34 - Jan 21 with 1431 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:30 - Jan 21 by davblue

We need some legs in that midfield.

There's blame on all sides imo. Mick hasn't and doesn't help himself but hes succeeded everywhere he's been apart from here so far.

The financial side in the last 2 years has moved on and Evans's investment hasn't, we will be lower mid table even relegation candidates if something doesn't change.

Yep, Mick made plenty of poor decisions this year too and he's not got enough out of the squad - not even close.

Lots of injuries to deal with, but a lot of them are injury prone players so who's fault?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:34 - Jan 21 with 1423 viewsGarv

I think a decent football manager could get this lot playing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:36 - Jan 21 with 1398 viewsTractorWood

To be effective in the middle of the park at this level you need to be physical, have a great engine, be intelligent, have a solid range of passing and be able to understand how to manage a game ie speed it up and slow it down.

We don't have one and therefore struggle to get a foothold in pretty much every game. When this is coupled with a defence who struggle to stay composed and distribute in a meaningful way (even more so now Webster is injured), our shortcomings are exposed very quickly. The changes needed are fundamental and at nearly every level of the club.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 20:47]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:42 - Jan 21 with 1327 viewsbrogansnose

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:34 - Jan 21 by Garv

I think a decent football manager could get this lot playing.

I think a decent manager could get some of them playing quite a bit better but the team as a whole is no better than mid table.
Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:44 - Jan 21 with 1313 viewsdavblue

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:34 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Yep, Mick made plenty of poor decisions this year too and he's not got enough out of the squad - not even close.

Lots of injuries to deal with, but a lot of them are injury prone players so who's fault?

He wanted the players I presume, so has to be his fault.

I also wonder if the safety first approach has worn thin subconsciously, the players are still with him but it takes a special manager to keep a high level of performance for a long time . I specially when the core of the team has heard similar messages for 3 odd years.

There should have been a few of the core let go last summer imo, I think he's been too loyal in that sense.
Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:46 - Jan 21 with 1294 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that? on 20:36 - Jan 21 by TractorWood

To be effective in the middle of the park at this level you need to be physical, have a great engine, be intelligent, have a solid range of passing and be able to understand how to manage a game ie speed it up and slow it down.

We don't have one and therefore struggle to get a foothold in pretty much every game. When this is coupled with a defence who struggle to stay composed and distribute in a meaningful way (even more so now Webster is injured), our shortcomings are exposed very quickly. The changes needed are fundamental and at nearly every level of the club.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 20:47]

And those players aren't generally in the bargain basement waiting for a manager to save their career; the same as target men who can occupy 2 defenders and chip in with a few goals.

That's where the club has gone badly wrong - that lack of investment has killed things.

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:47 - Jan 21 with 1270 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone really be surprised by that on 20:44 - Jan 21 by davblue

He wanted the players I presume, so has to be his fault.

I also wonder if the safety first approach has worn thin subconsciously, the players are still with him but it takes a special manager to keep a high level of performance for a long time . I specially when the core of the team has heard similar messages for 3 odd years.

There should have been a few of the core let go last summer imo, I think he's been too loyal in that sense.

He may have 'wanted' the players, but there has to be a compromise between what he wants and what we can afford though which isn't balanced well this year

Agree re the core of team, same voices etc, the problem was the one we lost was the one we could least afford to in Murphy!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024