Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What an awful run of fixtures... 05:48 - Jan 22 with 4988 viewsRollsReuser

.......we now have, we could well be deep in the mire come the end of Feb.

Poll: Paul Taylor

What an awful run of fixtures... on 12:42 - Jan 22 with 2019 viewsKeaneish

What an awful run of fixtures... on 11:51 - Jan 22 by Mullet

You're in the area of telling him how to spend his own money there. Which unfortunately isn't very easy to do.

I think you holding him up to not being what the EADT etc. led you to believe he might be is unfair too. Especially as their editor and those that followed did their best to undermine and drive him out when he wouldn't indulge their fantasies.

My gut feeling is as I said after the game last night, this isn't a new system it's the only one MM can use to put as many key players on the pitch at once. It doesn't work. At least as well as it should.

There were a swathe of tactical issues with it again yesterday and it's hard to say Mick did much wrong in his selection. Had he started Douglas for the ineffective Dozzell imagine the light that puts the defeat in.

We've now got a weird scenario where fans feel like they should call the tune and we all know how well our lot can knock out a song during a game.

No it's not but as the owner of a football club in today's game, there comes an inevitable level of investment on top of keeping the club afloat. Without this, what's the point of taking on such a burden? Its a known quantity, has been for generations and a calculated risk, or not in some cases. Lets not forget, the ME empire has grown significantly since he took over this club. We haven't and this disparity isn't an easy subject to rationalise but ultimately, if we're to be run as a business, which is the right thing to do, why are we not seeing any fruits of this endeavour? Play-off season apart, and a level of semi-decent financial accounting, what else has there been to point to deemed noteworthy of success under ME?

I don't disagree that MM has been forced into playing a new system. He matched QPR with it and maybe one side before it (as is his way) and it kind of worked so he stuck with it. No doubt injuries dictated this change in approach to a large extent. Question is, is it any better? Do we have the personnel? I'd argue there are many merits to it but its early days.

To succeed, this system needs pace, energy, cohesion and work rate otherwise it'll flounder. I see glimpses of it at the moment. Here's hoping in the next 9 days we have further introductions in the right areas, a drum beat beaten for so long by many, even the tone deaf can't mistake its message.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What an awful run of fixtures... on 13:36 - Jan 22 with 1988 viewsBent_double

What an awful run of fixtures... on 12:42 - Jan 22 by Keaneish

No it's not but as the owner of a football club in today's game, there comes an inevitable level of investment on top of keeping the club afloat. Without this, what's the point of taking on such a burden? Its a known quantity, has been for generations and a calculated risk, or not in some cases. Lets not forget, the ME empire has grown significantly since he took over this club. We haven't and this disparity isn't an easy subject to rationalise but ultimately, if we're to be run as a business, which is the right thing to do, why are we not seeing any fruits of this endeavour? Play-off season apart, and a level of semi-decent financial accounting, what else has there been to point to deemed noteworthy of success under ME?

I don't disagree that MM has been forced into playing a new system. He matched QPR with it and maybe one side before it (as is his way) and it kind of worked so he stuck with it. No doubt injuries dictated this change in approach to a large extent. Question is, is it any better? Do we have the personnel? I'd argue there are many merits to it but its early days.

To succeed, this system needs pace, energy, cohesion and work rate otherwise it'll flounder. I see glimpses of it at the moment. Here's hoping in the next 9 days we have further introductions in the right areas, a drum beat beaten for so long by many, even the tone deaf can't mistake its message.

Excellent points, Keaneish.

If ME took over believing that we would be promoted to the PL in that first season, with him just spending £5-10m, then clearly he was either stupid, or badly advised.

As the owner, it's now his duty to do what's best for the club, and at the moment that means putting a rather large amount of money into it for better players - and a better manager. I would suggest than sum is now around the £20m+ mark.

No business wants to spend money just for the sake of it, and believe me, if I was an owner of a football club, I would baulk at the idea of paying players £10-20k a week for the next 3-4 years only to see them turn out to be pants, or get injured in the first few games!

I own a guesthouse, it needs a new roof - a massive expense that I keep putting off, and instead I just get small repairs done when needed. But I know that there will come a time when that roof will cause me major problems and will severely impact on my income if I have to close rooms off that are unusable due to damp patches on the ceiling, or leak when it rains.

So come on ME, if you really are 'worth' £700m+, either give Mick, or a new manager, £20-odd million to spend in the summer on quality players, cut the price of season tickets, and if all goes well, PR will be rocking again with 25k+ every home game, we'll be playing good football, challenging for promotion and everyone's happy.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

What an awful run of fixtures... on 15:54 - Jan 22 with 1938 viewsMullet

What an awful run of fixtures... on 12:42 - Jan 22 by Keaneish

It's clear the level required has jumped massively since Evans came in. I can't blame him for obviously wanting to get rid several times, but no one's willing to match his valuations clearly.

The point about MEG growing whilst here, is probably because the exposure and fact he hasn't tipped more money in means it could. I'm not sure we can really expect that because he's had success there it should come here. Obviously we'd like it to, but it's apparent in terms of his portfolio we're not the golden child. Your point about being run like a business contradicts your desire I'm afraid.

As for this system I hate it. I've always hated 3 at the back since it became dated and Conte making it flavour of the month in the Prem doesn't do anything for me. Mick is always accused of tactical inflexibility but once again that moan comes from people with no sense of irony.

We've seen him adopt 4231 with massive success and I'd much rather see that. Especially as Spence looks so athletic. If anything I'd put Digby back in midfield and let him drop back to mark players at setpieces.

Regardless my preference and how MM sees it is irrelevant. This lad from Leeds is potentially a perfect fit next to Skuse for me and might just be the N'Daw style ass and ballkicker we need to let the more attack minded players flourish.

I wish we could retire Douglas now. Although I've always been a critic, I pity the bloke. He's harming himself more than us facing up to the ladyparts gunning for him now. If we had the personnel he'd remain 5th on the list to start at CM.

This is why the idea of changing manager makes little sense. If ME does so he must change approach. That takes cash. If he's doling out cash suddenly who else would likely get more value from it than MM? Certainly not many we could attract to replace him.

The more I look at it the more I feel ME's approach has been like one of those people that have taken a self-help book and applied the power of positive thinking but not doing to their approach. It's hard to picture a man that successful sitting in the boardroom chanting "dress for success" and "I see opportunities not problems" etc. under his breath. He might I guess.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What an awful run of fixtures... on 16:12 - Jan 22 with 1923 viewsNo9

What an awful run of fixtures... on 15:54 - Jan 22 by Mullet

It's clear the level required has jumped massively since Evans came in. I can't blame him for obviously wanting to get rid several times, but no one's willing to match his valuations clearly.

The point about MEG growing whilst here, is probably because the exposure and fact he hasn't tipped more money in means it could. I'm not sure we can really expect that because he's had success there it should come here. Obviously we'd like it to, but it's apparent in terms of his portfolio we're not the golden child. Your point about being run like a business contradicts your desire I'm afraid.

As for this system I hate it. I've always hated 3 at the back since it became dated and Conte making it flavour of the month in the Prem doesn't do anything for me. Mick is always accused of tactical inflexibility but once again that moan comes from people with no sense of irony.

We've seen him adopt 4231 with massive success and I'd much rather see that. Especially as Spence looks so athletic. If anything I'd put Digby back in midfield and let him drop back to mark players at setpieces.

Regardless my preference and how MM sees it is irrelevant. This lad from Leeds is potentially a perfect fit next to Skuse for me and might just be the N'Daw style ass and ballkicker we need to let the more attack minded players flourish.

I wish we could retire Douglas now. Although I've always been a critic, I pity the bloke. He's harming himself more than us facing up to the ladyparts gunning for him now. If we had the personnel he'd remain 5th on the list to start at CM.

This is why the idea of changing manager makes little sense. If ME does so he must change approach. That takes cash. If he's doling out cash suddenly who else would likely get more value from it than MM? Certainly not many we could attract to replace him.

The more I look at it the more I feel ME's approach has been like one of those people that have taken a self-help book and applied the power of positive thinking but not doing to their approach. It's hard to picture a man that successful sitting in the boardroom chanting "dress for success" and "I see opportunities not problems" etc. under his breath. He might I guess.

"We've seen him adopt 4231 with massive success"

Really ? When?
What an awful run of fixtures... on 17:00 - Jan 22 with 1876 viewsKeaneish

What an awful run of fixtures... on 15:54 - Jan 22 by Mullet

He can still run it as a business and legally and ethically operate within the FFP rules:

"Championship clubs will be allowed to lose an average of £13m a season (or £5m if the owner doesn’t inject cash into the club to cover the loss). Hence, a long-standing Championship side such as Brighton, is able to lose up to £39m over the three-season assessment period."

ME simply doesn't want to inject the cash. It's bizarre that a successfully run club can make a total annual operating loss of 13 million and still be deemed a success but those are the rules. Is 8 million much to Evans? Doesn't appear so. Would an additional 24 million investment over the next three years make us a top 6 side and improve our chances of promotion with MM? Arguably so. If he's backing his man, as it appears he is, why not invest? All eyes on the next 9 days but the previous 22 days suggest our chairman has lost his bottle and is probably seeking an out.

What an awful run of fixtures... on 17:10 - Jan 22 with 1863 viewsbournemouthblue

What an awful run of fixtures... on 11:52 - Jan 22 by Radlett_blue

"easier ones on paper"? Away to the club in 3rd place?
Agree with your last sentence, though - a failing manager, not being backed by the owner is a recipe for disaster.

I didn't realise they were quite that high up

It's been such a boring season, I barely look at the table any more :(

I'm glad to see Reading slipping down, they are massively overperforming currently

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What an awful run of fixtures... on 18:48 - Jan 22 with 1789 viewsBenters

What an awful run of fixtures... on 09:35 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Stop being such a bell Benters. I don't want to see Town fans saying I told you so if we get relegated. I get the point. We are not safe from the drop. Even the most vociferous Mick outers can still be positive we will remain in this league.

Hope you are right

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

What an awful run of fixtures... on 18:51 - Jan 22 with 1783 viewsRadlett_blue

What an awful run of fixtures... on 13:36 - Jan 22 by Bent_double

Excellent points, Keaneish.

If ME took over believing that we would be promoted to the PL in that first season, with him just spending £5-10m, then clearly he was either stupid, or badly advised.

As the owner, it's now his duty to do what's best for the club, and at the moment that means putting a rather large amount of money into it for better players - and a better manager. I would suggest than sum is now around the £20m+ mark.

No business wants to spend money just for the sake of it, and believe me, if I was an owner of a football club, I would baulk at the idea of paying players £10-20k a week for the next 3-4 years only to see them turn out to be pants, or get injured in the first few games!

I own a guesthouse, it needs a new roof - a massive expense that I keep putting off, and instead I just get small repairs done when needed. But I know that there will come a time when that roof will cause me major problems and will severely impact on my income if I have to close rooms off that are unusable due to damp patches on the ceiling, or leak when it rains.

So come on ME, if you really are 'worth' £700m+, either give Mick, or a new manager, £20-odd million to spend in the summer on quality players, cut the price of season tickets, and if all goes well, PR will be rocking again with 25k+ every home game, we'll be playing good football, challenging for promotion and everyone's happy.

Massively disagree. When Evans came in, we'd finished just outside the play-offs & it wasn't hard to imagine that bringing in 3 decent players would make us play-off candidates or better. Keane said as much when he took over. Unfortunately, what happened was that, instead of recruiting sensibly, Keane was allowed to turn the whole club inside out.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

What an awful run of fixtures... on 18:54 - Jan 22 with 1776 viewsMullet

What an awful run of fixtures... on 17:00 - Jan 22 by Keaneish

He can still run it as a business and legally and ethically operate within the FFP rules:

"Championship clubs will be allowed to lose an average of £13m a season (or £5m if the owner doesn’t inject cash into the club to cover the loss). Hence, a long-standing Championship side such as Brighton, is able to lose up to £39m over the three-season assessment period."

ME simply doesn't want to inject the cash. It's bizarre that a successfully run club can make a total annual operating loss of 13 million and still be deemed a success but those are the rules. Is 8 million much to Evans? Doesn't appear so. Would an additional 24 million investment over the next three years make us a top 6 side and improve our chances of promotion with MM? Arguably so. If he's backing his man, as it appears he is, why not invest? All eyes on the next 9 days but the previous 22 days suggest our chairman has lost his bottle and is probably seeking an out.

But again, we're back to counting someone else's money.

I think we need to remember that sides like Brighton have lost a huge amount and still not gained a thing. There's a growing list every season I guess the issue is how sustainable is that? For someone like ME it can't seem very attractive at all, especially to not even try.

What an awful run of fixtures... on 18:57 - Jan 22 with 1769 viewsRadlett_blue

What an awful run of fixtures... on 18:54 - Jan 22 by Mullet

I think we need to remember that sides like Brighton have lost a huge amount and still not gained a thing. There's a growing list every season I guess the issue is how sustainable is that? For someone like ME it can't seem very attractive at all, especially to not even try.

Totally agree. Brighton lost a staggering sum last year & have a huge wage bill. Fine if they get promoted this season, but if they don't, does Bloom have bottomless pockets? Even if Evans was happy to lose £10m+ per season, no guarantee of success.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:02 - Jan 22 with 1746 viewstaximan

surely the "still not gained a thing" line should be saved until the end of the season

promotion (or not) is decided in may, not january
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:05 - Jan 22 with 1737 viewsPJH

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:02 - Jan 22 by taximan

surely the "still not gained a thing" line should be saved until the end of the season

Except when Derby won last seasons Championship in November 2015.
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:06 - Jan 22 with 1725 viewsBenters

It must be horrible watching exciting football week in week out !

Gentlybentley

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:07 - Jan 22 with 1720 viewsMullet

Which is why I said "still".

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:08 - Jan 22 with 1718 viewstaximan

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:06 - Jan 22 by Benters

It must be horrible watching exciting football week in week out !

what is brightons average attendance compared to that of itfc
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:09 - Jan 22 with 1709 viewsbrazil1982

It doesn't matter who we play now - we are in a relegation battle. I really do fear for our form.
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:11 - Jan 22 with 1699 viewstaximan

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:07 - Jan 22 by Mullet

Which is why I said "still".

you cannot gain anything mid season

except for an advantageous position for winning promotion
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:14 - Jan 22 with 1682 viewsMullet

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:11 - Jan 22 by taximan

you cannot gain anything mid season

except for an advantageous position for winning promotion

Hence the word "still".

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:15 - Jan 22 with 1676 viewsBenters

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:08 - Jan 22 by taximan

what is brightons average attendance compared to that of itfc

Derby as i know you like them is 29410

Brighton is 27307

Town to date is 16678

Gentlybentley

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:22 - Jan 22 with 1657 viewstaximan

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:15 - Jan 22 by Benters

Derby as i know you like them is 29410

Brighton is 27307

Town to date is 16678

almost as if the fans of brighton and derby are buying into the promotion dream

whereas town fans are bored and resigned to nothingness
What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:26 - Jan 22 with 1641 viewsBenters

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:22 - Jan 22 by taximan

almost as if the fans of brighton and derby are buying into the promotion dream

whereas town fans are bored and resigned to nothingness

Something like that ba.

Gentlybentley

What an awful run of fixtures... on 19:50 - Jan 22 with 1621 viewsKeaneish

Great in depth blog post about Brighton's financial affairs oblver the last three seasons since to contextualise Hughton's reign 2 years in charge going from relegation saviour to promotion contender.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/brighton-and-hove-albion-knockin-on.ht

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024