Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All this clamour for playing youth... 12:46 - Jan 22 with 2246 viewsWestcountryblue

Our situation is pretty dire at the moment, but what confuses me is how people think the likes of Emmanuel, Dozzell, Kenlock etc...will pull us out of this situation. We need seasoned professionals who are coming into/or are in the prime of their career. One only has to look at the impact that the likes of Berra, Didzy and Murphy had when they arrived at the club. They brought us some consistency and produced week in, week out on the pitch.

Quite frankly, i feel sorry for Mick McCarthy at the moment. McGoldrick, Bishop, Smith, Williams and Webster are all really good players at this level and i think a lot of people underestimate the impact that this has on an already paper thin squad. Apart from Kenlock maybe, i don't think any of our young prospects are ready to play week in week out in the Championship and one only has to look at our bench to see how we are suffering from a detached owner who is investing subpar amount of money into the club. There is absolutely NO REASON why a club of our size should be filling it's bench with teenagers. It's unfair on Mick, the supporters and it is preventing the club from reaching it's potential.

I'm sorry, but i have absolutely zero sympathy for Marcus Evans. Football clubs are rich people's toys and unless you are willing to invest and play the game, then you should step aside and let someone else have a go at running the club.

The worst thing about this whole situation is that we have slipped into a small club mentality. We are a much bigger club than Huddlesfield. We have great stadium, fantastic infrastructure and when happy, a large fan base. It was only 10 years ago that we were pulling in crowds of over 25,000 each week. I'm sorry but the signings of Kieffer Moore, Toumani Diagouraga, Steven Taylor and Jordan Spence just highlight the tough job that Mick has. Mick isn't the issue here, he has a fantastic managerial CV at this level. Marcus is the issue and he needs to think long and hard about what he is trying to achieve at the club as we are just drifting around rudderless at the moment!

He also needs to commit to pledges that he has made in the past, whether if that is have 50% of our match-day squad comprised of academy graduates by 2017, wanting to develop Ipswich as a Premiership side or going for category one academy status. While these strategies he has mentioned in the past sound great...not one of them has been carried out with conviction, which raises the question, are we a club that has a clearly defined strategy going forward?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:12]
All this clamour for playing youth... on 12:59 - Jan 22 with 2186 viewsDarth_Koont

That's certainly half of the dilemma for Mick. Can people really have firm demands regarding performances and results when during this season we've made significant use of Ward, Webster, Kenlock, Emmanuel and Dozzell while coping with injuries and loss of form to our more senior players?

Clearly it is right to bring through younger players and to try and evolve a more entertaining, passing game but there doesn't seem to be any leeway given for the difficulties that creates for our short-term results. At the least we should understand the inconsistency, however frustrating.

Pronouns: He/Him

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:07 - Jan 22 with 2156 viewsWestcountryblue

All this clamour for playing youth... on 12:59 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

That's certainly half of the dilemma for Mick. Can people really have firm demands regarding performances and results when during this season we've made significant use of Ward, Webster, Kenlock, Emmanuel and Dozzell while coping with injuries and loss of form to our more senior players?

Clearly it is right to bring through younger players and to try and evolve a more entertaining, passing game but there doesn't seem to be any leeway given for the difficulties that creates for our short-term results. At the least we should understand the inconsistency, however frustrating.

There is also a danger of placing too much responsibility on the shoulders of our younger players who in reality are not ready to deal with the physical, mental and technical side of the Championship.

I do actually fear for the likes of Dozzell, as this really isn't the best time to play him when the fans are baying for blood. In an ideal world, we should be giving him 20-30 minutes here and there (like he got at Bristol City) alongside two, confident, seasoned Championship midfielders. But what choice does Mick have right now? He has been totally let down my ME and Toumani Diagouraga isn't really the answer.

There have been times in the past where we have not introduced our younger players successfully. Jordan Rhodes, Dean Bowditch, Matt Richards all spring to mind.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:09]
All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:11 - Jan 22 with 2128 viewsJakeITFC

I guess the feeling for a lot of people is that if we are going nowhere this season, we may as well do it whilst blooding some of our own boys.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:17 - Jan 22 with 2099 viewsWestcountryblue

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:11 - Jan 22 by JakeITFC

I guess the feeling for a lot of people is that if we are going nowhere this season, we may as well do it whilst blooding some of our own boys.

That's not fair on the fans or the academy players coming through.

Generally, it take a lot of time and patience to successfully blood youngsters in the Championship. There are exceptions to this rule like Dyer, Ambrose and Bent. But in other circumstances, putting too much pressure and expectation on the shoulders of young players can have disastrous consequences. Dean Bowditch is a prime example of this. When he was training with the first team at the age of 16, the coaches were gobsmacked at how good he was technically and he really should have played in the Premiership. Ironically, Jordan Rhodes is perhaps the best example of this club successfully blooding a youngster. Several lower league loans to cut his teeth playing against seasoned pros, only to be sold by a pig headed moron.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:25]
All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:37 - Jan 22 with 2039 viewstextbackup

The older heads have got us in this mess, if it comes down to it and we need a win to stay up who would you put your trust in to keep us up, Douglas or dozzell?

Also for 3/4 seasons we've had 'yeah but injuries have cost us...' why hasn't MM ripped MEs door off shouting for funds? What is ME really after with this club? What do we give him that he decides to keep hold of us? I just get get it
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:40]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:37 - Jan 22 with 2030 viewsCaptMickMills

To me Mick is the issue in that he and his staff cannot coach a side to pass to each other. The tactics and standard of football has been dire for well over a year and it was not great when we got into playoffs but Mick got away with it because we were winning games due to Murphy's goals. We are about as mid table as you can get so should concentrate on blooding youngsters this season towards hopefully a better next season. We cannot keep picking players because they are seasoned professionals if their performances do not merit them playing.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:53 - Jan 22 with 1956 viewsWestcountryblue

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:37 - Jan 22 by textbackup

The older heads have got us in this mess, if it comes down to it and we need a win to stay up who would you put your trust in to keep us up, Douglas or dozzell?

Also for 3/4 seasons we've had 'yeah but injuries have cost us...' why hasn't MM ripped MEs door off shouting for funds? What is ME really after with this club? What do we give him that he decides to keep hold of us? I just get get it
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:40]

I agree, he should have ripped his door off in 2015 when were top in the top 2 at Christmas. Instead we got fobbed off with the likes of Noel Hunt and Richard Chaplow, when we have the core in place to achieve promotion
All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:57 - Jan 22 with 1934 viewsWestcountryblue

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:37 - Jan 22 by CaptMickMills

To me Mick is the issue in that he and his staff cannot coach a side to pass to each other. The tactics and standard of football has been dire for well over a year and it was not great when we got into playoffs but Mick got away with it because we were winning games due to Murphy's goals. We are about as mid table as you can get so should concentrate on blooding youngsters this season towards hopefully a better next season. We cannot keep picking players because they are seasoned professionals if their performances do not merit them playing.

What about the funds and players he has at his disposal ? For me, this is the real reason why we can't play passing football. Every week we come up against midfielders that are faster and more technically gifted than our own. Putting youngsters in against the likes of Newcastle, Derby, Leeds will only damage their confidence. Players like Dozzell have great talent, but there are players in the Championship currently bigger, stronger, fast and quite simply better then him at the moment. You have to remember that the likes of Jordan Rhodes was cutting his teeth in the conference and league two for several seasons before he even started producing at a high level.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 13:59]
Login to get fewer ads

All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:02 - Jan 22 with 1897 viewsKeaneish

A blend of experience in youth has always been key to any successful side. I don't see anything wrong with using Kenlock, Emmanuel and Dozzell. In fact, Kenlock and Emanuel have been our best performers of late which goes to show how woeful the rest of the squad have been.

The small club mentality has in part ben brought about Mick and his approach to games. No doubt there are many other aspects, but this is certainly one of them.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:04 - Jan 22 with 1881 viewsNo9

Across the country football clubs bring in young players from their academy weekin & week out. MM has only ever done that when he has had no other chi=oice or when public pressure has made it encesary for him to consider doing it.
Watching players get older & less capable, since MM arrived, should have made him look more closely to the academy for replacements. Instead he has gone, as others before him for over the hill journeymen.
So, many of the problems are of his own making & he now has a team which is dysfunctional but, playing to his methods.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:28 - Jan 22 with 1823 viewsLankHenners

The problem, which is becoming increasingly apparent, is that we have a team stuck between an aging spine (Mick's "top pros") who aren't getting any younger or better, and a group of promising youngsters not yet ready for week in, week out championship football.

To get that band of players in between, i.e. good proven championship level players or very good players from the lower leagues ready to step up, will generally cost a bit more money than we've been spending on players.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:42 - Jan 22 with 1769 viewsDarth_Koont

All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:28 - Jan 22 by LankHenners

The problem, which is becoming increasingly apparent, is that we have a team stuck between an aging spine (Mick's "top pros") who aren't getting any younger or better, and a group of promising youngsters not yet ready for week in, week out championship football.

To get that band of players in between, i.e. good proven championship level players or very good players from the lower leagues ready to step up, will generally cost a bit more money than we've been spending on players.

It's a fair point. Maybe as a club we've overestimated the ability of the youngsters to step up and the ability of the senior pros to keep going.

And of course both of these components make things much more difficult when they fail at the same time, and in a team that then loses confidence and momentum. It all becomes a pretty negative spiral.

Pronouns: He/Him

All this clamour for playing youth... on 15:20 - Jan 22 with 1676 viewsNo9

All this clamour for playing youth... on 14:28 - Jan 22 by LankHenners

The 'art of football management' needs to be practiced
All this clamour for playing youth... on 15:31 - Jan 22 with 1641 viewstheinbetweener

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:57 - Jan 22 by Westcountryblue

What about the funds and players he has at his disposal ? For me, this is the real reason why we can't play passing football. Every week we come up against midfielders that are faster and more technically gifted than our own. Putting youngsters in against the likes of Newcastle, Derby, Leeds will only damage their confidence. Players like Dozzell have great talent, but there are players in the Championship currently bigger, stronger, fast and quite simply better then him at the moment. You have to remember that the likes of Jordan Rhodes was cutting his teeth in the conference and league two for several seasons before he even started producing at a high level.

Except Lincoln City are not in the Championship. In fact they are 50+ places below us in the football pyramid. So how do you explain being outplayed and outpassed by them? Even with a tight budget, injuries etc. That was inexcusable and the final straw for so many fans.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 15:40 - Jan 22 with 1620 viewsbraveblue

I could have told you 6 months ago that Williams, Bishop and McG would be out injured. Why does our idiot manager not know?

Why is he still playing Skuse and Douglas. Old, negative players who are past their best? Because he is an idiot manager.

Why had he no plan B re Murphy? Idiot.

Evans is useless but Mick has been appalling.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 18:29 - Jan 22 with 1511 viewsCaptMickMills

All this clamour for playing youth... on 13:57 - Jan 22 by Westcountryblue

What about lack of funds at Portsmouth and Lincoln who have both outplayed us. Ipswich resources are mid table ish so no excuse for style of play.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 18:43 - Jan 22 with 1487 viewsSwn98

All this clamour for playing youth... on 18:29 - Jan 22 by CaptMickMills

What about lack of funds at Portsmouth and Lincoln who have both outplayed us. Ipswich resources are mid table ish so no excuse for style of play.

notice that Portsmouth are no nearer promotion than they were when they beat us
All this clamour for playing youth... on 20:00 - Jan 22 with 1428 viewsWestSussexBlue

If bringing Youth through then we should have begun this in August.
This apparently was always a season to build where success was not expected.
We should have blooded youth and stuck with it through the difficult periods, Now is most definitely too late.
We are in a relegation battle where experience is now needed. That said, experience has got us in this mess.
It appears that there has been no defined plan in place for a number of seasons now for which we are now seeing the consequences.
I for one hope that Mick parts ways with us before it's too late and the new manager starts 2017/18 with a young team that will grow together for 2 maybe 3 seasons by which time the 5 point plan will be well under way.
All this clamour for playing youth... on 20:45 - Jan 22 with 1356 viewsalprimo

What is the point of having an academy if you can't bring players through?

Look at Everton - in the Premier League - Tom Davies looks a player at 18, Holgate is 20, they have just signed the young Charlton forward.

Look at Tottenham - Deli Ali, Harry Winks at 18 or so is olaying for them too.

Difference is managers. Koeman and Poch trust and believe in the young players.

We want youth as the older players are crap. Let's get the good youth players in and get Ipswich playing good football again that is enjoyable to watch.

Saying you can;t bring young players through is ridiculous
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024