Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I make Dyer spot on with that interview. 18:56 - Jan 23 with 5024 viewsLankHenners

I anticipate and have already seen "yeah, but the players should be doing more" comments, which is true to an extent, but it's hard to step up and pull out bigger and better performances when your own fans are on your back, which has now been spelled out by a former player of ours.

Whilst the fans aren't to blame for the poor run of form, what a not insignificant amount of people can't seem to grasp is the detrimental effect of a poor/negative atmosphere at Portman Road. How many times during our playoff season did Mick say that you can go to teams not doing so great, go on the aggressive, get the first goal and let their fans make it difficult for them to get back into the game. It's not just a cheap soundbite when players say "we'll try and get their fans on their backs". They know it'll be beneficial to them.

Also sounds right on Evans etc. We overachieved and Evans didn't see fit to make sure we were able to sustain that level of achievement, and now we've ended up here.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 08:44 - Jan 24 with 738 viewstractorshark

Agree. Dyer strikes a chord with that interview.
Very much in agreement with what he says.
And he's not cosying up to the manager, owner or the players.
A lot of the criticism he's got from fans is because they are blinded by their desire to get rid of Mick - as if doing that will instantly make the club right.
I think Mick should go but I'm not naive to think that will be the answer to all our problems.
I suspect whoever replaces him won't last 4 years in the job.
People have had a dig at Dyer for saying he doesn't pay to get in but by emphasising that, he's acknowledging it. He's accepting his view may differ to others who fork out cash.
But what some fans don't get is that he's probably p****d off Evans, McCarthy and a few players with what he's said.
He's talking more like a fan than an ex-player.
And he's right about one thing...we mustn't get relegated.
Don't look at Norwich and Southampton as examples, look at Pompey, Coventry and even Sheff Utd (up until this season).
There's no guarantee we'd come straight back up.
I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 12:52 - Jan 24 with 678 viewscoolcat

I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 19:11 - Jan 23 by Illinoisblue

it is hard to disagree with anything he said. On the subject of fans; it would be both amazing and unprecedented for fans to organise a "really backing the blues" kind of day with everyone bringing banners, scarves, balloons, confetti, drums etc. to whip up a 90-minute atmosphere of support and positivity. I know it will never happen, but would love to see the reaction from the players if such a day occurred.

There is another group of fans who call themselves the Clapton FC Ultras, who have the same sort of idea as the Crystal Palace Ultras. I went to see Clapton FC in East London on the non-league day last year. The fans are amazing and sing/chant throughout the match. Very friendly atmosphere and their enthusiasm is very infectious. They lost the match but they still carried on singing and the players went over and shook the hands of fans as well. You wouldn't think they'd lost.

Kieron Dyer made an interesting point about how negativity effects players which everyone knows is true but never heard anyone say it before. . Support raises the spirit and in turn their performance - even more so in challenging times.
I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 12:58 - Jan 24 with 668 viewsSwansea_Blue

I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 08:44 - Jan 24 by tractorshark

Agree. Dyer strikes a chord with that interview.
Very much in agreement with what he says.
And he's not cosying up to the manager, owner or the players.
A lot of the criticism he's got from fans is because they are blinded by their desire to get rid of Mick - as if doing that will instantly make the club right.
I think Mick should go but I'm not naive to think that will be the answer to all our problems.
I suspect whoever replaces him won't last 4 years in the job.
People have had a dig at Dyer for saying he doesn't pay to get in but by emphasising that, he's acknowledging it. He's accepting his view may differ to others who fork out cash.
But what some fans don't get is that he's probably p****d off Evans, McCarthy and a few players with what he's said.
He's talking more like a fan than an ex-player.
And he's right about one thing...we mustn't get relegated.
Don't look at Norwich and Southampton as examples, look at Pompey, Coventry and even Sheff Utd (up until this season).
There's no guarantee we'd come straight back up.

Nicely summed up. I agree with all of that. Dyer's been remarkably outspoken for someone with links to the club.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 13:09 - Jan 24 with 657 viewsrgp1

Looking at the photo on the article is Phil morphing into Brian McDermott 😀
I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 13:22 - Jan 24 with 648 viewsmadmouse1959

Kieron told us what we already know basically. At the end of the day it was a rallying call like all the others we have seen recently. What is the point of asking the fans to carry on supporting a product that is not supplying the goods and refusing to change. The club is in a mess and needs sorting out and when that is seen to be done then the "lost supporters" and more, will drift back. The shining example of how bad things are was the pathetic games v Lincoln followed by a comfortable loss at Huddersfield.
Now Evans is desperately looking for a cheap alternative. Throwing anyone without a club or contract into the team hoping that a few good results might stop the rot. How wrong can you be ?

shampoo dave

I make Dyer spot on with that interview. on 13:32 - Jan 24 with 637 viewsClausThomsen

McCarthy won the fans with the Blackburn match, playing round pegs in round holes with a generous peppering of youth.

He lost the fans when he changed that winning team against a conference side we struggled to draw with at home, resulting in our most embarassing result and performance - on national TV.

That decision has cost him the fans, probably the dressing room, and will cost him his job.

February's gonna be brutal!

ME's gotta pull the trigger, last time he left it too long we were bottom of the table.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024