Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us 07:06 - Jan 24 with 4163 viewsdavblue

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 07:48 - Jan 24 with 3069 viewsITFC_Forever

"Depressing" is the word I'd use, not "fantastic".

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 08:00 - Jan 24 with 3026 viewsdavblue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 07:48 - Jan 24 by ITFC_Forever

"Depressing" is the word I'd use, not "fantastic".

As a piece on us fantastic, content might not be fantastic.

Shows the level of job Mick has done in previous years.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 08:37 - Jan 24 with 2957 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Does some up what a massive mess championship football is in general.
Seems to be "Ipswich are putting in X million, which on the surface is pretty decent and should be acceptable, but you've got these other 10 clubs putting in a ridiculous amount more than that, therefore Ipswich have very little chance"
The fact that at 102% of turnover, or whatever it was, our wage bill is on the low side and there are others with 170%+ is ridiculous.
But what's the answer? On paper I agree with the much maligned 5 point plan. I don't want us to double our already silly wage bill, or compete with the parachute payment clubs on transfers by spending tens on millions. Just better football and a steady plan. I guess that would see us going backwards though.
Interesting points about how much we get from matchday takings. Still small as a percentage of overall budget, but makes you think; what if we could get more through the gate? I guess they realise we're at the point where encouraging large numbers back will be very difficult no matter what the price.
All leads to me, and others I know, slowly losing love for the game, especially at this level.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:06 - Jan 24 with 2878 viewsSteve_M

It sums up what most of us know, the problem isn't really McCarthy or Evans - as much as justified criticism can be given to both of them - but the shear greed that English football is now built on has distorted this division to the point that the only thing that matters is getting promotion to spunk millions on wages and agents.

It's crap and getting worse.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:16 - Jan 24 with 2839 viewsPhilTWTD

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:06 - Jan 24 by Steve_M

It sums up what most of us know, the problem isn't really McCarthy or Evans - as much as justified criticism can be given to both of them - but the shear greed that English football is now built on has distorted this division to the point that the only thing that matters is getting promotion to spunk millions on wages and agents.

Indeed, just a thrash through what we already knew but perhaps giving a bit more of the wider context.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:20 - Jan 24 with 2825 viewsDarth_Koont

This is what I don't understand about UEFA/FIFA, EFL and the FFP: How have they stood by and allowed a league to spend so much and get in so much debt? Based on our actual turnover and even the distant rewards of future earnings in the EPL?

It's a toss up between the Championship and China as to the biggest, most unsustainable basket case. China at least have the excuse of a young league/new market trying to invest, we're the oldest league haemorrhaging money and going backwards.

Pronouns: He/Him

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:22 - Jan 24 with 2793 viewsWeWereZombies

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:16 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, just a thrash through what we already knew but perhaps giving a bit more of the wider context.

Although he does overdo the charts a bit. Reminds me of what a Man City supporting stand up comic said about twenty years ago:

On paper we're the best club in the country

Trouble is, football is played on grass.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 9:27]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:25 - Jan 24 with 2773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Depressing stuff, and some information that I think needs to be filed under 'alternative-facts':

ME: “I wanted to work with a manager who was going to try to and coach and make our players better". Is that really Mick - does he really have a record of bringing on players and developing them? He's shown he can get them to overachieve through hard work and discipline though.

Milne “We do have a very good scouting network and that enables us to get players at the minimum transfer fee.” - do we really? Seems at odds with reality given the high turnover of players who aren't very good. Mings and Webster notable exceptions, but then Webster wasn't exactly cheap or unknown.

Mick: “I’ve done a bloody good job under the terms and conditions [agreed Mick, you have]. I’ve sold Murphy, I’ve sold Mings, and others, and we’ve stayed competitive.” Competitive? If ME's ambition is to mount a "promotion challenge", then I think it's clear for all to see that we are not competitive.

There's talking ourselves up and then delusion. Seems like quite a lot of the latter is around at the moment.

Interesting debt figures for the division too - in short you have to overspend and accrue debt to be competitive. Whilst minimising losses is obviously an admirable aim when viewed in isolation for our perspectives of individuals, when compared to what's going on in the league it's self-sabotage. Even under austerity, it's pretty much impossible to operate at a profit. So by definition our current strategy isn't sustainable either - at some point the debt will be an issue, it's just a case of when. The only way out in the current financial finance is to gamble - if that works, then great. If not, then it brings forward the date when debt becomes a major problem and then it's hello Pompey/Blackpool.

The problem is exacerbated by the absurdity of the new TV deal, where even the bottom club in the PL gets over £100m in TV money (nb. the top getting over £150m, highlighting the disparity that occurs in that league too).

In other words, MEs screwed!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:27 - Jan 24 with 2752 viewsSWGF

Would have been interesting to see where we'd be had MM been given the opportunity to spend a larger proportion of what he'd brought in in transfer fees.

Teams like us are highly unlikely to get promoted with a net transfer spend of minus £3.9m, £9.3m, £1.6m over the last three years. Selling high and buying low (if at all) doesn't work.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:30 - Jan 24 with 2727 viewsSuperfrans

It's an excellent piece, albeit v depressing.

But it does highlight (for those who are interested in knowing) why we are where we are. Mick isn't the most progressive of football managers, but in our circumstances, perhaps pragmatism is what is needed?

Certainly it highlights that there is no magic wand to be waved - even those clubs which are pushing their finances are doing so at great risk.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:30 - Jan 24 with 2725 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agreed. But to me it also says that owners have to be prepared to play that game to a certain extent, no matter how distasteful it may be. Otherwise, owners are just throwing money down the drain. The challenge is when to spend and when not to - when will spending more suddenly give you a genuine chance - e.g. could we have pushed the boat out a bit more in the January of our PO year and maybe last year when we were 'there or thereabouts'? Obviously this Jan it would be pointless to spend, other than to plug the gaps that are a bit of a liability (as with the Diathingy signing yesterday).

edit - Milne's statement that “You can’t keep expecting the owner to keep throwing money at things.” is meaningless. Given everything that's presented there, ME has to expect to keep throwing money at things except in an exceptional year when we have a large sale (that's happened once since he's been here) or until we achieve promotion, which is highly unlikely on the current trajectory of spending and performance. If he's not prepared to do this, then he needs to sell to someone who is (easier said than done).
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 9:49]

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:31 - Jan 24 with 2720 viewsDoobDude

There were some interesting quotes in there ...

"However, the lack of investment over the last eight years is striking with just £0.2 million being spent on infrastructure improvements in the Evans era, i.e. virtually nothing on the stadium."

i.e. as I have said countless times in the past there is no investment in the club.

"That was certainly true in the past, but the cash flow statement shows that only around £400,000 of additional loans were received by the club in each of the last two seasons (net £250,000 after loan repayments), as the difference was largely compensated by player sales."

Where is this mythical 6 to 7m in the years when we make a profit on transfer sales. It doesn't exist and we don't even spend much of the incoming transfer fees on players.

The owner is running us into the ground. He needs to get out and take his mates Milne, McCarthy and Bowman with him.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:37 - Jan 24 with 2695 viewsSuperfrans

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:16 - Jan 24 by PhilTWTD

Coming from an independent source (rather than a so-called "Mick/Evans inner") is always good though. And contextualising us with other clubs is also valuable.

Swiss Ramble does these on lots of clubs and clearly knows what he is talking about.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:44 - Jan 24 with 2625 viewstextbackup

Makes for interesting reading for sure, but I just don't see why that means that the manager can't get player A to pass to player B without slicing it out for a throw in
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 10:00]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:46 - Jan 24 with 2602 viewsdavblue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:44 - Jan 24 by textbackup

Makes for interesting reading for sure, but I just don't see why that means that the manager can't get player A to pass to player B without slicing it out for a throw in

No but it shows the restraint that we have been working under.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:46 - Jan 24 with 2603 viewsKeno

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:44 - Jan 24 by textbackup

the art of coaching seems to be the 'missing factor'

just getting a group of players to do simply things well, you know like Lincoln did

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:51 - Jan 24 with 2569 viewsdavblue

Some don't seem to understand to financial limitations and the job Mick has done previous to the last 3 years and think that a new manager will resolve everything. It might get better but over the long term there's a good chance it won't.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:52 - Jan 24 with 2568 viewsbluehert

It is interesting, and I would have thought that very few fans would deny that Mick did a great job avoiding relegation and then has done well since, given the circumstances.

But it seems to be the performances and attitude on the pitch that are letting the club down and disappointing the fans at the moment. Ipswich Town used to be synonymous with a passing style of play, but lately that only appears in small bursts.

It almost feels as though there is something wrong with the club as a whole, from the top down. Looking at some of the more recent sustained successes at football clubs, like Bournemouth and Southampton, who both came through several divisions and now have competitive Premier League setups and squads, they obviously have something above or beyond the management that has enabled them to do what they have done. In the case of Southampton they have had a couple of managerial changes with seemingly no ill effect, which is very rare.

I guess if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Although it seemed like Lincoln had their own version going on.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:54 - Jan 24 with 2549 viewsDarth_Koont

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:31 - Jan 24 by DoobDude

There were some interesting quotes in there ...

"However, the lack of investment over the last eight years is striking with just £0.2 million being spent on infrastructure improvements in the Evans era, i.e. virtually nothing on the stadium."

i.e. as I have said countless times in the past there is no investment in the club.

"That was certainly true in the past, but the cash flow statement shows that only around £400,000 of additional loans were received by the club in each of the last two seasons (net £250,000 after loan repayments), as the difference was largely compensated by player sales."

Where is this mythical 6 to 7m in the years when we make a profit on transfer sales. It doesn't exist and we don't even spend much of the incoming transfer fees on players.

The owner is running us into the ground. He needs to get out and take his mates Milne, McCarthy and Bowman with him.

Well done for missing the context almost completely in order to make your "point".

You put in so much effort for so little reward. In fact, I think you're outdoing ITFC on that score.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 9:56]

Pronouns: He/Him

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 2533 viewstextbackup

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:46 - Jan 24 by davblue

No but it shows the restraint that we have been working under.

Which I appreciate, but the training pitch is where new ideas and exciting new coaching ideas improve players... that's not the board room etc.

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 2524 viewsSwansea_Blue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:52 - Jan 24 by bluehert

It is interesting, and I would have thought that very few fans would deny that Mick did a great job avoiding relegation and then has done well since, given the circumstances.

But it seems to be the performances and attitude on the pitch that are letting the club down and disappointing the fans at the moment. Ipswich Town used to be synonymous with a passing style of play, but lately that only appears in small bursts.

It almost feels as though there is something wrong with the club as a whole, from the top down. Looking at some of the more recent sustained successes at football clubs, like Bournemouth and Southampton, who both came through several divisions and now have competitive Premier League setups and squads, they obviously have something above or beyond the management that has enabled them to do what they have done. In the case of Southampton they have had a couple of managerial changes with seemingly no ill effect, which is very rare.

I guess if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Although it seemed like Lincoln had their own version going on.

I just wonder if we're now seeing the results of ME's switch to 'austerity'? There's only so long you can sell your best or important players and not adequately replace them before results will dip. But maybe it's not that simple.

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:58 - Jan 24 with 2506 viewsRadlett_blue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:37 - Jan 24 by Superfrans

Coming from an independent source (rather than a so-called "Mick/Evans inner") is always good though. And contextualising us with other clubs is also valuable.

Swiss Ramble does these on lots of clubs and clearly knows what he is talking about.

Right. And as our wage bill is around 14th highest in the league, we are currently pretty much where we should expect to be in the league.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:58 - Jan 24 with 2499 viewsdavblue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:52 - Jan 24 by bluehert

Bournemouth and Southampton spent money.
A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:59 - Jan 24 with 2498 viewstextbackup

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:54 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Well done for missing the context almost completely in order to make your "point".

You put in so much effort for so little reward. In fact, I think you're outdoing ITFC on that score.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 9:56]

But isn't what he's saying correct? The money wasn't put in by Evans as he just used player sale money to make his overall input lower? Or have I read that wrongly?

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 10:02 - Jan 24 with 2459 viewsdavblue

A fantastic piece by Swiss ramble on us on 09:56 - Jan 24 by textbackup

Which I appreciate, but the training pitch is where new ideas and exciting new coaching ideas improve players... that's not the board room etc.

yeah, im not making Mick out to be jesus and there have been some major failings on the pitch this last year in particular. I don't think a new manager is suddenly going to make us a powerhouse in the division.

It all builds up to be rather depressing on and off the pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024