Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MP's get to vote then 10:01 - Jan 24 with 11218 viewsKeno

http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/supreme-court-rules-parliament-must

Maybe the UK Gov should take it to the Euro courts now?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

MP's get to vote then on 10:04 - Jan 24 with 2425 viewsm14_blue

Quite easy right too.

And they will vote to trigger article 50, which will also be quite right.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 10:22]
MP's get to vote then on 10:06 - Jan 24 with 2416 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd love them to take it to the euro court - it would be satirists heaven.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

MP's get to vote then on 10:07 - Jan 24 with 2403 viewsBergholtBru

Vote to trigger or GE!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

MP's get to vote then on 10:08 - Jan 24 with 2388 viewsGlasgowBlue

MP's get to vote then on 10:06 - Jan 24 by Swansea_Blue

I'd love them to take it to the euro court - it would be satirists heaven.

Why would they even want to? The courts have ruled that the Jocks, Welsh and Northern Irish governments can't put a spoke in the wheels and MP's have already voted by 461 to 89 in favour of triggering Article 50 by the end of March.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

MP's get to vote then on 10:09 - Jan 24 with 2391 viewschicoazul

Chairman May ha already said they will get to vote on the final deal anyway. All part of the plan, friends.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

MP's get to vote then on 10:10 - Jan 24 with 2375 viewsGlasgowBlue

MP's get to vote then on 10:07 - Jan 24 by BergholtBru

Vote to trigger or GE!

That's how I have always read it. I don't believe the government will lose the vote but if they did it would trigger a general election which would return May a much bigger majority than she has now.

Iron Lion Zion

MP's get to vote then on 10:19 - Jan 24 with 2353 viewsDarth_Koont

MP's get to vote then on 10:09 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

Chairman May ha already said they will get to vote on the final deal anyway. All part of the plan, friends.

"All part of the plan" ...

You b@st@rd! Just spat my tea out.

Pronouns: He/Him

MP's get to vote then on 10:21 - Jan 24 with 2346 viewsSwansea_Blue

MP's get to vote then on 10:08 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

Why would they even want to? The courts have ruled that the Jocks, Welsh and Northern Irish governments can't put a spoke in the wheels and MP's have already voted by 461 to 89 in favour of triggering Article 50 by the end of March.

They wouldn't. Although why did May take it to the Supreme Court? Equally pointless and just delays things (conveniently?).

Login to get fewer ads

MP's get to vote then on 10:27 - Jan 24 with 2296 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

So that's democracy f**ked in this country then

They could, as unlikely as it is, completely ignore the will of the people and the democratic right of the voter then

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

MP's get to vote then on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 2283 viewsm14_blue

MP's get to vote then on 10:27 - Jan 24 by The_Romford_Blue

They could, as unlikely as it is, completely ignore the will of the people and the democratic right of the voter then

You don't understand what's happened.
MP's get to vote then on 10:29 - Jan 24 with 2262 viewsGlasgowBlue

MP's get to vote then on 10:21 - Jan 24 by Swansea_Blue

They wouldn't. Although why did May take it to the Supreme Court? Equally pointless and just delays things (conveniently?).

It's back to that lack of judgement that I have brought up before.

Iron Lion Zion

MP's get to vote then on 10:29 - Jan 24 with 2267 viewsvapour_trail

Nah, it's just due process. People voted to let Westminster be the arbiter in these matters. We will still leave. Which is fine.

I'm looking forward to the foaming at the mouth brigade trying to make sense of it though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

MP's get to vote then on 10:30 - Jan 24 with 2255 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

MP's get to vote then on 10:28 - Jan 24 by m14_blue

You don't understand what's happened.

Do you have to be so patronising

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

MP's get to vote then on 10:31 - Jan 24 with 2243 viewsGlasgowBlue

The courts aren't completely ignoring the will of the people. They are going through the due legal process that this democratic country prides it'self on.

Now if MP's vote against triggering Article 50 then they will be completely ignoring the will of the people.

But again, I'd rather live in a country that has these checks and balances.

Iron Lion Zion

MP's get to vote then on 10:33 - Jan 24 with 2241 viewsNo9

MP's get to vote then on 10:09 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

I agree the Dictator has spoken however, the fact that an individual (2) challenged the Dictator could - IF we are lucky mean that we have an opportunity to return to a democracy one day.

Meanwhile the taxpayer should prosecute 'Dave' for what this is all costing us
MP's get to vote then on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 2231 viewsvapour_trail

MP's get to vote then on 10:31 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

The courts aren't completely ignoring the will of the people. They are going through the due legal process that this democratic country prides it'self on.

Now if MP's vote against triggering Article 50 then they will be completely ignoring the will of the people.

But again, I'd rather live in a country that has these checks and balances.

I think mps in Scotland, norn Ireland and London could reasonably vote to reflect the wishes of their constituents.

Will all be immaterial. The 52 have a much bigger parliamentary representation. When it comes to it, I'm sure it'll be a huge majority.

MP's get to vote then on 10:36 - Jan 24 with 2221 viewsWeWereZombies

So, upside - we do live in a representative democracy after all

Downside - it's probably just going to make the Brexit process even more shambolic, but

Upside - Corbyn will be exposed as being at odds with the majority of his MPs and we may get a more effective leader of the opposition before the next General Election, but

Downside - the break up of the United Kingdom in the near future looks more likely

Interesting times, no?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

MP's get to vote then on 10:36 - Jan 24 with 2218 viewsNo9

MP's get to vote then on 10:34 - Jan 24 by vapour_trail

I think mps in Scotland, norn Ireland and London could reasonably vote to reflect the wishes of their constituents.

Will all be immaterial. The 52 have a much bigger parliamentary representation. When it comes to it, I'm sure it'll be a huge majority.

Of course if the SNP now hold another vote on independence they will have the full support of Don, from the Ilse of Lewis - ?
MP's get to vote then on 10:37 - Jan 24 with 2216 viewsm14_blue

MP's get to vote then on 10:30 - Jan 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Do you have to be so patronising

Sorry if it came across that way, just on my phone and couldn't face trying to explain why I disagree with you.

It's not a subversion of democracy in any way at all, despite what some of the press will have you believe. However, the minute I heard the ruling I knew we would be inundated with brexiters bleating about 'the will of the people'.

You're very knowledgeable about lots of subjects but you're wrong on this.
MP's get to vote then on 10:41 - Jan 24 with 2193 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's just confirming the process of how Article 50 needs to be triggered. May wanted to be able to do it without deferring to a Parliament vote, but the courts have said she has to seek a majority vote in Parliament.

The end result will be the same I suspect, as it would be political suicide for MPs to vote against the will of their constituents (although some will no doubt, especially in Labour where their leadership issues are preoccupying them), so it' a bit of a waste of time. Nice little earner for the legal eagles though.

MP's get to vote then on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 2175 viewsitfcjoe

I agree with the Lib Dems, let the people vote on the actual deal

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

MP's get to vote then on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 2169 viewsNo9

MP's get to vote then on 10:41 - Jan 24 by Swansea_Blue

It's just confirming the process of how Article 50 needs to be triggered. May wanted to be able to do it without deferring to a Parliament vote, but the courts have said she has to seek a majority vote in Parliament.

The end result will be the same I suspect, as it would be political suicide for MPs to vote against the will of their constituents (although some will no doubt, especially in Labour where their leadership issues are preoccupying them), so it' a bit of a waste of time. Nice little earner for the legal eagles though.

There may be some amandments which may be for the good.

I would be very unhappy if the situation was left totaly in the hands of the Cash & Redwoods et al to badger the Dictator to just bin everything - unless of course we could actually hold them to account outside the house
MP's get to vote then on 10:45 - Jan 24 with 2157 viewsvapour_trail

MP's get to vote then on 10:44 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

I trust you're wearing your hard hat, Joe!

MP's get to vote then on 10:46 - Jan 24 with 2159 viewsDarth_Koont

MP's get to vote then on 10:41 - Jan 24 by Swansea_Blue

Also an important reminder to the government that they don't have the mandate to make this type of decision unilaterally.

Hopefully that seeps into their Brexit negotiations too so it becomes red, white and blue rather than just a blue Brexit.

Pronouns: He/Him

MP's get to vote then on 10:47 - Jan 24 with 2141 viewsgiant_stow

MP's get to vote then on 10:44 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

NO - the people have spoken (they must have whispered in Theresa's ear, cos I didn't hear them, but she swears blind...)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024