Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MP's get to vote then 10:01 - Jan 24 with 11245 viewsKeno

http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/supreme-court-rules-parliament-must

Maybe the UK Gov should take it to the Euro courts now?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

MP's get to vote then on 11:21 - Jan 24 with 1000 viewsPinewoodblue

MP's get to vote then on 11:03 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

Typical Fred question.

Have you ever been to the Isle of Lewis? Have you ever worked in the EU? Have you ever lived and worked in America? etc etc.

Or have you ever been to Cromer!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

MP's get to vote then on 11:24 - Jan 24 with 994 viewsgiant_stow

MP's get to vote then on 11:17 - Jan 24 by Vic

what happens if they vote against it? (Which could happen)

May said in her speach: no deal is better than a bad deal - hard brexit here we come. Watch for the timing of the vote too - I'd imagine it will come right up against that 2 year deadline, leaving no time for renegotiation.

A complete an utter massive stitch up.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:25]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Feckin too right... on 11:25 - Jan 24 with 987 viewsflimflam

Feckin too right... on 11:08 - Jan 24 by unstableblue

.. the 'Hard Brexit' deal bares no resemblance to what people voted for. And it was completely unconstitutional. Mail with have a field day.

Having said all that - and I know this is mad - we should open negotations with the EU immediately, stating if you reign back the federal Europe agenda, and tighten external migration further, we will go back on full Brexit. They'd bite our hands off, and we'd all be happy.

There is not any other Brexit.

I voted leave and fully understood it would meaning exactly that. No bit part member ship or clinging onto any scraps on offer, a full exit from the EU. And I believe the majority of people who voted leave understood this too.

In fact I would say if we had another referendum now the numbers voting leave would be greater than 52%
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:26]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

MP's get to vote then on 11:28 - Jan 24 with 973 viewsCaptainObvious

MP's get to vote then on 10:44 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

I agree with the Lib Dems, let the people vote on the actual deal

i don't really understand how this would work, the deal will be the one we agree with the eu, they are not going to offer us a variety to select from.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Feckin too right... on 11:29 - Jan 24 with 966 viewsDarth_Koont

Feckin too right... on 11:25 - Jan 24 by flimflam

There is not any other Brexit.

I voted leave and fully understood it would meaning exactly that. No bit part member ship or clinging onto any scraps on offer, a full exit from the EU. And I believe the majority of people who voted leave understood this too.

In fact I would say if we had another referendum now the numbers voting leave would be greater than 52%
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:26]

Absolute rubbish.

Even the Leave side were talking about exploring different models of access to the single market and other European apparatus post-referendum.

Pronouns: He/Him

MP's get to vote then on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 959 viewsGuthrum

MP's get to vote then on 11:17 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

If a majority of people can't agree on how we should change then we should stay as we are....

But then what about the original Referendum?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

MP's get to vote then on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 961 viewsitfcjoe

MP's get to vote then on 11:28 - Jan 24 by CaptainObvious

i don't really understand how this would work, the deal will be the one we agree with the eu, they are not going to offer us a variety to select from.

Come on Captain Obvious, it's obvious surely?

Agree a deal which is signed pending agreement of the people.

Put the deal to the people, if it is accepted then sign it, if it isn't then stay as we are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Feckin too right... on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 961 viewsusm

Feckin too right... on 11:08 - Jan 24 by unstableblue

.. the 'Hard Brexit' deal bares no resemblance to what people voted for. And it was completely unconstitutional. Mail with have a field day.

Having said all that - and I know this is mad - we should open negotations with the EU immediately, stating if you reign back the federal Europe agenda, and tighten external migration further, we will go back on full Brexit. They'd bite our hands off, and we'd all be happy.

The vast majority of people have no idea what they voted for, but democracy is democracy, so get on with it, I say.

Having said that it is the sort of thing that the general public should never vote on because they have no idea of the implications.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

MP's get to vote then on 11:31 - Jan 24 with 954 viewsitfcjoe

MP's get to vote then on 11:30 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

But then what about the original Referendum?

What about it? If it acts as an exploratory referendum which then gives a proper choice to the people (when they know what they are actually voting for) then it has been worth it.

MP's get to vote then on 11:33 - Jan 24 with 938 viewsgiant_stow

MP's get to vote then on 11:31 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

What about it? If it acts as an exploratory referendum which then gives a proper choice to the people (when they know what they are actually voting for) then it has been worth it.

.... and wasn't the referendum was always explicitly 'advisory' - not legally binding.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Feckin too right... on 11:34 - Jan 24 with 933 viewsflimflam

Feckin too right... on 11:29 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Absolute rubbish.

Even the Leave side were talking about exploring different models of access to the single market and other European apparatus post-referendum.

Having access maybe but still leaving it. Two different things.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/voting-leave-meant-leaving-single-market-vo

Feckin too right... on 11:35 - Jan 24 with 922 viewsflimflam

Feckin too right... on 11:30 - Jan 24 by usm

The vast majority of people have no idea what they voted for, but democracy is democracy, so get on with it, I say.

Having said that it is the sort of thing that the general public should never vote on because they have no idea of the implications.

How very condescending of you.

Feckin too right... on 11:37 - Jan 24 with 911 viewsgiant_stow

Feckin too right... on 11:35 - Jan 24 by flimflam

He's right though - even GB, a politico, doesn't seem to understand what was voted on and importantly, what wasn't.

MP's get to vote then on 11:38 - Jan 24 with 903 viewsJ2BLUE

MP's get to vote then on 10:36 - Jan 24 by WeWereZombies

So, upside - we do live in a representative democracy after all

Downside - it's probably just going to make the Brexit process even more shambolic, but

Upside - Corbyn will be exposed as being at odds with the majority of his MPs and we may get a more effective leader of the opposition before the next General Election, but

Downside - the break up of the United Kingdom in the near future looks more likely

Interesting times, no?

I have no issue with Scotland but they have far too much say for their share of the population. If they want to leave and rule themselves then good luck to them. If they stay they should accept being part of the UK means having a fair say but not being the spoilt child of the union. Before the vote people happily talked about a landslide vote in Scotland being key to keeping the entire UK in the EU but now it has gone the other way it is suddenly 'democratically unacceptable'.

I don't think they will accept a fair say so i'd prefer it if they took independence. I'd wish them well. I completely understand their frustration.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

MP's get to vote then on 11:41 - Jan 24 with 893 viewsCaptainObvious

MP's get to vote then on 11:30 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

Put the deal to the people, if it is accepted then sign it, if it isn't then stay as we are

ah-ha sneakily trying to stay in. There is no option to stay as we are, we have voted out.

(I can't actually remember why i chose this username it was so long ago now)

Feckin too right... on 11:41 - Jan 24 with 892 viewsDarth_Koont

Feckin too right... on 11:34 - Jan 24 by flimflam

Having access maybe but still leaving it. Two different things.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/voting-leave-meant-leaving-single-market-vo

Of course, but we're talking about Hard Brexit vs. Soft Brexit. Not whether in more or less semantic, constitutional terms we are officially outside the single market when we officially leave the EU.

Pronouns: He/Him

MP's get to vote then (n/t) on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 887 viewsNo9

MP's get to vote then on 10:46 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Also an important reminder to the government that they don't have the mandate to make this type of decision unilaterally.

Hopefully that seeps into their Brexit negotiations too so it becomes red, white and blue rather than just a blue Brexit.

MP's get to vote then on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 889 viewsJ2BLUE

MP's get to vote then on 11:30 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

It wouldn't work. A lot of remainers would decide to reject it the moment the referendum was announced.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

MP's get to vote then on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 889 viewsitfcjoe

MP's get to vote then on 11:41 - Jan 24 by CaptainObvious

ah-ha sneakily trying to stay in. There is no option to stay as we are, we have voted out.

(I can't actually remember why i chose this username it was so long ago now)

It's not about being sneaky - it's about ensuring that the wishes of the people, after they have been presented with the facts of what the exit will entail, happen.

Whichever way that goes, then there wouldn't be all this drama over it. If an actual proposal was put to the table and agreed then neither the Remainer's or the Brexiters could have any complaints surely?

Ultimately - it isn't a race - it's more important to come up with the correct decision than to rush it - whichever way that goes?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:44]

MP's get to vote then on 11:45 - Jan 24 with 877 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

MP's get to vote then on 10:41 - Jan 24 by Swansea_Blue

It's just confirming the process of how Article 50 needs to be triggered. May wanted to be able to do it without deferring to a Parliament vote, but the courts have said she has to seek a majority vote in Parliament.

The end result will be the same I suspect, as it would be political suicide for MPs to vote against the will of their constituents (although some will no doubt, especially in Labour where their leadership issues are preoccupying them), so it' a bit of a waste of time. Nice little earner for the legal eagles though.

As you and others have explained, I'm wrong.

Fair enough. I'll admit I'm wrong.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

MP's get to vote then on 11:46 - Jan 24 with 876 viewsNo9

MP's get to vote then on 10:46 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Also an important reminder to the government that they don't have the mandate to make this type of decision unilaterally.

Hopefully that seeps into their Brexit negotiations too so it becomes red, white and blue rather than just a blue Brexit.

You are correct, this 'government has no mandate at all'

Regarding your second para, it is obvious they are out of their depth & just blowing £ billions of taxpayer cash.
MP's get to vote then on 11:46 - Jan 24 with 863 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

MP's get to vote then on 11:11 - Jan 24 by BlueLikeJazz

The number of people who seem to think that 'democracy is f*cked' by a judgement that *upholds* parliamentary sovereignty and the rule of law, is spectacularly depressing.

As I said, I simply got it wrong

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

MP's get to vote then on 11:49 - Jan 24 with 858 viewsCaptainObvious

MP's get to vote then on 11:43 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

It's not about being sneaky - it's about ensuring that the wishes of the people, after they have been presented with the facts of what the exit will entail, happen.

Whichever way that goes, then there wouldn't be all this drama over it. If an actual proposal was put to the table and agreed then neither the Remainer's or the Brexiters could have any complaints surely?

Ultimately - it isn't a race - it's more important to come up with the correct decision than to rush it - whichever way that goes?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:44]

the wishes of the people was to leave the eu. that's been decided so any vote that has an option to remain is in effect a second referendum and that wasn't in anyone's manifesto, and then where do we go - best of 3, best of 5? stay or leave was all that was on the ballot so by all means debate and vote over the terms because no-one voted hard, soft, medium brexit, but any option to stay is just a remainer not liking the first result.

Feckin too right... on 11:52 - Jan 24 with 841 viewsvapour_trail

Feckin too right... on 11:35 - Jan 24 by flimflam

He's right though. Millions of people taking a stab in the dark. Brilliant.

But we are where we are. We should get on with it as quickly as we reasonably can. Problem is, we have a PM and her legal advisers with a botched attempt to do this illegally, meaning increased scrutiny and argument will accompany the bill that does go to parliament, probably slowing us down further.

Cameron followed by May. Horrendous.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

MP's get to vote then on 11:55 - Jan 24 with 832 viewsitfcjoe

MP's get to vote then on 11:49 - Jan 24 by CaptainObvious

the wishes of the people was to leave the eu. that's been decided so any vote that has an option to remain is in effect a second referendum and that wasn't in anyone's manifesto, and then where do we go - best of 3, best of 5? stay or leave was all that was on the ballot so by all means debate and vote over the terms because no-one voted hard, soft, medium brexit, but any option to stay is just a remainer not liking the first result.

I personally don't agree - leave or stay was far too simplistic a question and without any real knowledge of what leaving (or staying) really entailed most people were voting blind.

If the government were able to negotiate a good deal then it will likely go through, if they can't then why should the people suffer because they were lied to at the start of the process.

Seems silly to do anything with haste with all this 'Brexit means Brexit' rubbish when it could, quite easily, be a bad thing for the country by the time we are doing it and obvious it is a bad thing to be doing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024