Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? 10:31 - Jan 24 with 1325 viewsBent_double

Specifically the Championship, as it affects us.

How about a 2 point deduction for each £10m (net) spent on transfers in a season?

or

a 1 point deduction for every £1m spent on players wages/bonuses over a fixed amount, say £12m a year?

or how about using incentives instead? The reverse of the above with extra points for net expenditure on transfers below a certain amount, or for keeping player wages/bonuses under a certain amount?

Difficult to implement? Probably. Unpopular with some fans? Possibly, but we know there's no point trying to fine clubs, if they have the money they will just pay it or get lawyers in to fight it. Points deductions are the only way to bring sense back into football, if you ask me.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 1298 viewsNo9

The imbalance can only be addressed by the FA & if necessary government, taking on Sky/BT & the PL.
How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:39 - Jan 24 with 1286 viewsDarth_Koont

It's a bit nuclear but I'd suggest a strike (or at least the threat of it).

You have to assume that there are a number of clubs who are genuinely annoyed about the state of play and the imbalance with parachute payments so if half the owners could coordinate themselves then a threat to remove themselves from the competition could pay dividends. I think they'd get the support of the majority of fans for making that statement at least.

Of course, I don't think it could ever be more than a threat. In practical terms you'd expect clubs to back down. But unless they kick up more of a collective stink in public then the status quo will remain.

Pronouns: He/Him

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:39 - Jan 24 with 1286 viewsAxeldalai_lama

The trouble is, who at the top actually cares?
Until some big clubs start really imploding no one will do anything. Even then, as long as there is still enough money at the top they probably wont care.
Will the likes of QPR, Coventry and Portsmouth being a bit rubbish really matter?
Another problem(?!) is that fans will step in a la Portsmouth. This is great, and a rousing spirit lifting thing for the fans. But football as a whole needs 3 or 4 decent sized clubs to literally fold to even start to wake it up.
Depressing I know, sorry!
How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:40 - Jan 24 with 1279 viewsITFC_Forever

Impossible when some clubs have parachute payments of £95m - if they have that money which is legal income, why can't they spend it?

And that's before they sell any of the squad..... people bang on about the amount Newcastle spent last summer, but they brought in more income from transfers (£80m plus I think) than they spent and didn't need to touch the parachute money.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:42 - Jan 24 with 1277 viewsNo9

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:39 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

It's a bit nuclear but I'd suggest a strike (or at least the threat of it).

You have to assume that there are a number of clubs who are genuinely annoyed about the state of play and the imbalance with parachute payments so if half the owners could coordinate themselves then a threat to remove themselves from the competition could pay dividends. I think they'd get the support of the majority of fans for making that statement at least.

Of course, I don't think it could ever be more than a threat. In practical terms you'd expect clubs to back down. But unless they kick up more of a collective stink in public then the status quo will remain.

Strangely enough I believe the vast wealth of the PL is what attracts foreign buyers to acquire English football clubs and that lure means they want the PL to become even richer and would be happier if the FFP never happened
How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 1268 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has to come from the PL and FL to agree a way to better distribute TV money or cap it all together. That will never happen under the current structures - the PL is obsessed with wealth whatever the consequences, and distributing it to favour the big clubs. I fully expect them to ramp up their game even more now to try and compete with China - they won't be liking this new financial competition one little bit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:49 - Jan 24 with 1255 viewsBent_double

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:40 - Jan 24 by ITFC_Forever

Impossible when some clubs have parachute payments of £95m - if they have that money which is legal income, why can't they spend it?

And that's before they sell any of the squad..... people bang on about the amount Newcastle spent last summer, but they brought in more income from transfers (£80m plus I think) than they spent and didn't need to touch the parachute money.

On your first point, sure they can spend it, it's their money.

On your second point - that's the problem, under my idea clubs like Newcastle would still be OK as they appear to still have made a profit due to 2 big player sales. It would probably affect clubs like Brighton, Derby, Wednesday more who have simply benefited from large investments from owners.

It won't happen, football league clubs would need to vote on such changes anyway. As someone else mentioned, it's gonna take a few 'big' clubs to go under before any action is taken.

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:53 - Jan 24 with 1237 viewsScuzzer

Do away with parachute payments. Put some deflation into the game....that's not taking some air out of the balls.

Established 1968

Login to get fewer ads

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 1204 viewsPinewoodblue

If you want to be fair then any points deduction should relate to how much you spend in comparison to your income. This incidentally would in past seasons have resulted in Town being deducted points.

Do it on a sliding scale spend 10% more than income deduct 2pts, overspend by 15% deduct 5pts, by 20% deduct 10pts and then a point for every additional 5% overspend.

Trouble this would lead to uncertainty and needing a slide rule to work out who gets promoted or relegated.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 12:34 - Jan 24 with 1157 viewsIllinoisblue

only the introduction of a Premier League 2 will fix the current absurd situation. Not saying it's right, but the gap is so ridiculous now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 12:54 - Jan 24 with 1118 viewsbournemouthblue

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 10:53 - Jan 24 by Scuzzer

Do away with parachute payments. Put some deflation into the game....that's not taking some air out of the balls.

Doesn't that just make the gap between the Prem and Championship even wider?

Parachute payments were originally designed to cushion the blow of relegation, now they just seem to be a rocket booster because clubs plan for relegation in a way they didn't when we were relegated.

Clubs have got smart to it and learnt how best to exploit it, creating a new generation of yoyo clubs

The biggest victims of the system really are ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Forest, Wolves and Sheffield United I'd suggest? Leicester would have also been in that list also up until a few seasons ago

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 1104 viewsBent_double

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 11:30 - Jan 24 by Pinewoodblue

If you want to be fair then any points deduction should relate to how much you spend in comparison to your income. This incidentally would in past seasons have resulted in Town being deducted points.

Do it on a sliding scale spend 10% more than income deduct 2pts, overspend by 15% deduct 5pts, by 20% deduct 10pts and then a point for every additional 5% overspend.

Trouble this would lead to uncertainty and needing a slide rule to work out who gets promoted or relegated.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps half-way into the season, in the Jan window, clubs could submit their figures, extrapolated for the full year - along with any Jan transfer dealings - so they would then be told by the end of the window what points would be deducted, if any.

It would be a bit messy for a while until clubs got used to the idea and stopped spending beyond their means.

I guess it would need to apply to all leagues below the PL as well, to prevent lower league clubs deciding to do what Championship clubs are doing now.

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 13:43 - Jan 24 with 1034 viewsPilgrimblue

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 12:34 - Jan 24 by Illinoisblue

only the introduction of a Premier League 2 will fix the current absurd situation. Not saying it's right, but the gap is so ridiculous now.

That's been my view for a long time. And then no parashutes but money going down to Championship to be divided by their finishing places (just like PL now).
If parashute payments are stopped then clubs might manage their affairs better when they come down. At the moment the relegated clubs from PL have huge advantage. Their only problem is that they come down with losing mentality and crap teams and lose best players.
Also I'd stop all loans between clubs in same division. It's not right that strikers can score against every other team but not their own!
How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 16:06 - Jan 24 with 954 viewshochiblue

How would you try to fix the financial imbalance in football? on 13:43 - Jan 24 by Pilgrimblue

That's been my view for a long time. And then no parashutes but money going down to Championship to be divided by their finishing places (just like PL now).
If parashute payments are stopped then clubs might manage their affairs better when they come down. At the moment the relegated clubs from PL have huge advantage. Their only problem is that they come down with losing mentality and crap teams and lose best players.
Also I'd stop all loans between clubs in same division. It's not right that strikers can score against every other team but not their own!

There have been a number of suggestions that once there are a majority of US (or like-minded others) to vote it through, they'll go for no relegation from the Premier League.
That would solve our problem, because eventually, there would be no clubs in the EFL with parachute money, no point in foreign buyers nabbing EFL clubs and spending to get into the EPL. We would just be feeder clubs, developing players and playing in our own little bubble!

Not that I'm advocating that, I hasten to add! I think EPL2 is an answer, although it only pushes the problem down a little. Proper division of Sky/BT monies through the entire football league would be a more thoughtful way to go. Not going to happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024