Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the u23's game on Sunday 11:05 - Jan 24 with 1257 viewsartsbossbeard

It's not the first u23 game I've watched this season but nice for it to be on the box albeit with the commentary turned off as it was a bit partisan to say the least.

Anyhoo, after watching a few of these games of late, I'm of the belief that our footy clubs (not just Ipswich) are developing what I can only describe as "identi-kit" footballers. All tall, athletic, decent first touch and reasonably comfortable on the ball, granted, but it's all a bit dull, isn't it?

This is a bad example as I really appreciate him as a footballer, but the clubs are building teams of James Milner's.

Where's the Gazza type game-changer?
Where's the Stuart Pearce tough tackling left back?

Coffee?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:12 - Jan 24 with 1216 viewsitfcjoe

It's no coincidence that when Mick talks about players coming through - it's Dozzell, Benyu, McDonnell, Blanchfield, Nydam etc - academies produce central midfielders and that's mostly it. Some are defensive midfielders, some a re box to box and some are attacking - but ultimately there are very few 'proper' centre halves or centre forwards that are coming through or on display in these games.

Maybe why a number of players come up the non league way - Keiffer Moore, Jordan Hugill out of ones we've been linked with.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:16 - Jan 24 with 1166 viewsartsbossbeard

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:12 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

It's no coincidence that when Mick talks about players coming through - it's Dozzell, Benyu, McDonnell, Blanchfield, Nydam etc - academies produce central midfielders and that's mostly it. Some are defensive midfielders, some a re box to box and some are attacking - but ultimately there are very few 'proper' centre halves or centre forwards that are coming through or on display in these games.

Maybe why a number of players come up the non league way - Keiffer Moore, Jordan Hugill out of ones we've been linked with.

Decent point - can you almost nationalise where the best players come from?

Goalies: Italy?
Defenders: Italy/Uruguay?
Tricky, technical midfielders: Spain?
Up & down midfielders: UK & Africa?
Forwards: South America/Spain?
Subs: Ipswich.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:20 - Jan 24 with 1140 viewsWallingford_Boy

Morris, Webber, Patterson, Fowler??

Do take your point though, the game is different these days, you don't have old fashioned tough tackling defenders as you are not allowed to tackle anymore. All players are coached in a way that they are more comfortable on the ball, so more players are more versatile and are often labelled as midfielders.

RIP Sir Bobby

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:25 - Jan 24 with 1127 viewsitfcjoe

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:20 - Jan 24 by Wallingford_Boy

Morris, Webber, Patterson, Fowler??

Do take your point though, the game is different these days, you don't have old fashioned tough tackling defenders as you are not allowed to tackle anymore. All players are coached in a way that they are more comfortable on the ball, so more players are more versatile and are often labelled as midfielders.

Morris I'll give you - but the other 3 are miles away from being ready or involved (despite their recent sub appearances)

Our best CB this year, Chris Smith, is a midfielder been moved back there - as is the one ahead of him in the pecking order Paul Digby.

The best players, play central midfield and as you go up the age groups thebest players from2-3 years form one team so it's obvious how it ends up that way.

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:49 - Jan 24 with 1025 viewsWallingford_Boy

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 11:25 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

Morris I'll give you - but the other 3 are miles away from being ready or involved (despite their recent sub appearances)

Our best CB this year, Chris Smith, is a midfielder been moved back there - as is the one ahead of him in the pecking order Paul Digby.

The best players, play central midfield and as you go up the age groups thebest players from2-3 years form one team so it's obvious how it ends up that way.

Bar Dozzell, I'm not sure how close the ones you mention are really?

Benyu seems out of favour, McDonnell has been on the edge of the squad for 18 months, but not kicked on.

As usual we have a promising striker coming through (Morris), will he finally be the one?!

RIP Sir Bobby

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:00 - Jan 24 with 982 viewsStenvict

Joe, what are your thoughts on Nydam? He was the player we were allocated to sponsor this season. I saw him at Cambridge pre season, and saw him on the bench at Huddersfield. Will he be just another player that gets on the bench but never the pitch? Hopefully he turns out to be as good as one of our previous sponsored players, Miles Kenlock.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:16 - Jan 24 with 934 viewsitfcjoe

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:00 - Jan 24 by Stenvict

Joe, what are your thoughts on Nydam? He was the player we were allocated to sponsor this season. I saw him at Cambridge pre season, and saw him on the bench at Huddersfield. Will he be just another player that gets on the bench but never the pitch? Hopefully he turns out to be as good as one of our previous sponsored players, Miles Kenlock.

He's excellent - and will make it here. About as guaranteed as Dozzell has been to do so

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:25 - Jan 24 with 866 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:16 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

He's excellent - and will make it here. About as guaranteed as Dozzell has been to do so

Yes, whenever I've seen him I have always thought he was stand out.
Login to get fewer ads

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:32 - Jan 24 with 814 viewsPilgrimblue

So time to give him Smith and Morris some games. Nothing to lose!
Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:36 - Jan 24 with 799 viewsSWGF

I read a bit about this a while back, basically backing this up. The amount of defensive coaching is basically nil. Tackling is a dirty word and "old fashioned" centre halves are a dying breed.

Tactics/positioning isn't a consideration when coaching kids. I was told that by an Academy coach at Col U. All they're interested in until kids get into teens, is first touch in close quarters and looking after the ball which is fine if you want umpteen no.10s...
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 13:52]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Watching the u23's game on Sunday on 12:38 - Jan 24 with 777 viewsReuser_is_God

Similar sort of player to Dozzell isn't he?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024