Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage 08:38 - Jan 30 with 5159 viewsbournemouthblue

so that the public turn against them? If Theresa can't stand up to Trump, what chance does she have when negotiating with Europe

They have finally given Labour a narrative against them. The Tories seem to be burying their head in the sand on Trump in the search for a deal at all costs.

This ban is a disgrace but don't worry everybody, Mo Farah can still travel to the US, phew I'm glad that's sorted.

We can't negotiate with a man with these kinds of politics, he will trample all over us.

I liken May's visit to Neville Chamberlain's with Germany, she is a total and utter coward

We need strong leadership, we maybe the only country America listens to and we have totally ignored this completely nuts policy he has implemented.

But perhaps they are deliberately turning the public against them so we think twice about Brexit?

I can see a vote of no confidence and an election

The Tories seem to have united the country against Trump through their total weakness and they don't seem to see it

[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 8:40]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 08:48 - Jan 30 with 2500 viewsoldbluestu

We need Corbyn
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 08:53 - Jan 30 with 2488 viewsWeWereZombies

Except May did not come back waving a piece of paper and talking of peace in our time. Her schedule has made me think more favourably of her -
1. Turkey to ostensibly talk trade deals but really to shore up NATO and
2. Ireland, we are not just their biggest trading partner but also another nation that Trrrump has blown off at. And we need to keep peace in the North which Brexit and the unlikely but possible threat of a hard border have disrupted a little at the moment.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 8:54]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:04 - Jan 30 with 2456 viewsDoobDude

"The Tories seem to have united the country against Trump"
Never, ever believe that Social Media = The views of this country.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:05 - Jan 30 with 2457 viewsfeelingblue

They have got themselves into a right pickle.

I heard Michael Fallon, Today program on Friday, describe the Republican Party as the Tories sister party. Really? Do they seriously want to be equated with a largely anti-abortion, anti LBGT, pro guns party who are prepared to have Trump as their mouthpiece to the world?

I don't believe any conspiracy theory stuff about it being an attempt to stop Brexit, but I do think that British voters should ask themselves if they really want a close alliance with the USA in its current state.

Do you want a 'special relationship' with Trump?
[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 9:07]
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:09 - Jan 30 with 2428 viewsSwansea_Blue

May might have finally given Labour a narrative against the Tories, but Labour are in no place to be able to recognise that, let alone act on it.

As for the strength of feelings against Trump, you don't need to look at social media to know there's a genuinely high amount of bewilderment and dissatisfaction. He's a highly divisive character.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:12 - Jan 30 with 2398 viewscaught-in-limbo

Enjoy the show.

#WestminsterTheatreSociety

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:14 - Jan 30 with 2401 viewswkj

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:12 - Jan 30 by caught-in-limbo

Enjoy the show.

#WestminsterTheatreSociety

I am very very afraid of what the next few years could bring, and I'm not even joking

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:45 - Jan 30 with 2358 viewsDarth_Koont

Not so sure. I think increasingly we're seeing that being incompetent or even downright rubbish has voter appeal.

Nothing says anti-establishment more than looking like you don't belong there.

The scary thing is I'm not even joking.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:47 - Jan 30 with 2347 viewsfactual_blue

Chamberlain did say to his colleague immediately after the 'peace in our time' announcement 'I shouldn't have said that.

It may of course be that may has fallen into the same trap as Chamberlain and believes she is dealing with a rational human being, and not one who is a sociopath.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:49 - Jan 30 with 2332 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:45 - Jan 30 by Darth_Koont

Not so sure. I think increasingly we're seeing that being incompetent or even downright rubbish has voter appeal.

Nothing says anti-establishment more than looking like you don't belong there.

The scary thing is I'm not even joking.

Some geezer on R4 this morning was talking about the popular appeal of trash-talking politicians. Not quite the same as you're saying, but add the two elements together and it's a very powerful drug for some. Completely transparent, but surprisingly effective.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:51 - Jan 30 with 2308 viewsNo9

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:05 - Jan 30 by feelingblue

They have got themselves into a right pickle.

I heard Michael Fallon, Today program on Friday, describe the Republican Party as the Tories sister party. Really? Do they seriously want to be equated with a largely anti-abortion, anti LBGT, pro guns party who are prepared to have Trump as their mouthpiece to the world?

I don't believe any conspiracy theory stuff about it being an attempt to stop Brexit, but I do think that British voters should ask themselves if they really want a close alliance with the USA in its current state.

Do you want a 'special relationship' with Trump?
[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 9:07]

N. Carolina has repealed the LBGT legislation
Where as Liam Fox set up tory HQ
N. Carolina
A coincidence? - I don't think so.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:59 - Jan 30 with 2290 viewsfactual_blue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:49 - Jan 30 by Swansea_Blue

Some geezer on R4 this morning was talking about the popular appeal of trash-talking politicians. Not quite the same as you're saying, but add the two elements together and it's a very powerful drug for some. Completely transparent, but surprisingly effective.

In slightly related news, Goebbels secretary has died. She, of course, knew nothing of what was going on.

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:01 - Jan 30 with 2295 viewsurbanblue

Or maybe Theresa May is recognising that a democratically elected leader of a country is putting into practice an election pledge that he made countless times?

Just saying.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:03 - Jan 30 with 2279 viewsDarth_Koont

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 09:49 - Jan 30 by Swansea_Blue

Yes. It seems that the debate has gone beyond right vs. left towards "emotionalism" vs. rationalism. Certainly all this is what the strategists behind Trump and Brexit were trying to engineer in order to win.

Not sure if rational politics can ever win that battle on those terms. But hopefully this is a momentary madness, a bubble that will burst when people become afraid/distrustful of these populists as they are revealed by their actions.

Pronouns: He/Him

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:08 - Jan 30 with 2248 viewsfactual_blue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:03 - Jan 30 by Darth_Koont

Yes. It seems that the debate has gone beyond right vs. left towards "emotionalism" vs. rationalism. Certainly all this is what the strategists behind Trump and Brexit were trying to engineer in order to win.

Not sure if rational politics can ever win that battle on those terms. But hopefully this is a momentary madness, a bubble that will burst when people become afraid/distrustful of these populists as they are revealed by their actions.

The last major emotional v rational debate was, I'm said to say, settled by the Second World War.

Spoiler alert: rationalism won, very largely because emotion wasn't very good at strategy.

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:13 - Jan 30 with 2202 viewsimsureazzure

"I can see a vote of no confidence and an election"

How do you believe that election will go?

How do you believe Corbyn would deal with Trump? Isolate the UK completely?
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:14 - Jan 30 with 2197 viewscaught-in-limbo

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:01 - Jan 30 by urbanblue

Or maybe Theresa May is recognising that a democratically elected leader of a country is putting into practice an election pledge that he made countless times?

Just saying.

Trump has certainly got that one over May, and we don't like it at all:

He is a democratically elected leader and he's honouring pre-election pledges.

You could say he's a democratic nightmare.

#toxic

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:17 - Jan 30 with 2182 viewsbrazil1982

I think it's disgraceful that Israeli nationals are not permitted entry to 16 countries.

I visited Israel years ago which makes it a little tricky to get a visa to some countries - if I declare this on application, of course. So I am effectively banned from visiting certain countries.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:21 - Jan 30 with 2160 viewsfeelingblue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:01 - Jan 30 by urbanblue

Just saying.

So,if

'a democratically elected leader of a country is putting into practice an election pledge that he made countless times'

even though that election pledge is not only disgracefully discriminatory, probably against the laws of his country, and entirely counterproductive, our Prime Minister should say and do nothing?

Trump has just started the revival of every Islamic terrorist group with that idiotic policy, but we should not say anything because he is democratically elected?
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:21 - Jan 30 with 2149 viewsdryas

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:17 - Jan 30 by brazil1982

I think it's disgraceful that Israeli nationals are not permitted entry to 16 countries.

I visited Israel years ago which makes it a little tricky to get a visa to some countries - if I declare this on application, of course. So I am effectively banned from visiting certain countries.

You can get another passport. An annoying expense yes, but nothing is stopping you doing it or visiting those countries if you wish.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:22 - Jan 30 with 2138 viewsurbanblue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:14 - Jan 30 by caught-in-limbo

Trump has certainly got that one over May, and we don't like it at all:

He is a democratically elected leader and he's honouring pre-election pledges.

You could say he's a democratic nightmare.

Exactly ..... Politician keeps his election promises shock! Unheard of isn't it. Whatever we think of the policy no other government can tell a country how to protect it's borders.

What gets me is that people are surprised at this!
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:23 - Jan 30 with 2130 viewsfeelingblue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:17 - Jan 30 by brazil1982

You are not remotely banned.

I had two passports for years, precisely so that I could visit Israel, Arab countries and South Africa, for work.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:27 - Jan 30 with 2097 viewsurbanblue

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:21 - Jan 30 by feelingblue

So,if

'a democratically elected leader of a country is putting into practice an election pledge that he made countless times'

even though that election pledge is not only disgracefully discriminatory, probably against the laws of his country, and entirely counterproductive, our Prime Minister should say and do nothing?

Trump has just started the revival of every Islamic terrorist group with that idiotic policy, but we should not say anything because he is democratically elected?

Whatever we think is really irrelevant. The American people voted for it!!

Don't you see what I mean?

It's called democracy.
Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:31 - Jan 30 with 2072 viewscaught-in-limbo

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:22 - Jan 30 by urbanblue

Exactly ..... Politician keeps his election promises shock! Unheard of isn't it. Whatever we think of the policy no other government can tell a country how to protect it's borders.

What gets me is that people are surprised at this!

Bizarrely, we've been conditioned into accepting that pledges made pre-election are just part of the game, and that they don't really count. The last time a pre-election promise caused a stir was in 1988 with Bush senior's "Read my lips: No More Taxes".

We only get a miffed these days when leaders (actually in office) lie to our faces. But even that is usually met with little more than a shrug.

So, to be fair, it's a bit of a surprise when a leader honours not only a promise, but a pre-election one.

#toxic

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:32 - Jan 30 with 2071 viewsbrazil1982

Are the Tories being deliberately incompetent on the world stage on 10:23 - Jan 30 by feelingblue

You are not remotely banned.

I had two passports for years, precisely so that I could visit Israel, Arab countries and South Africa, for work.

I am, if on completion of the visa application I declare I have visited the "occupied territories"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024