Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Computer help 20:13 - Jan 30 with 1802 viewsVaughan8

I know there are a few knowledgeable computer people on here. I have had a bit of a google but I can't find the answer.

My problem is that my laptop seems to connect to the router for broadband , but then doesn't load any sites at all. Not even any error messages, it just hangs.

It has been happening a few days. Sometimes if I restart it, it seems to work, but it might stop say an hour later and I'm back to square one.

I have restarted the router as well but doesn't seem to have helped.

My iPad, tv box and phone all work on the internet/broadband so it must be something to do with my laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Computer help on 20:30 - Jan 30 with 1749 viewsMJallday

It sounds like its not picking up an ip address

If you go into command prompt and type ipconfig, does it give you anything like 169.254.xxx.xxx

Also what does it do if you try pinging www.bbc.co.uk (if you can do tracert www.bbc.co.uk and post it here that would help)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Computer help on 20:40 - Jan 30 with 1725 viewsWicklowBlue

Some questions for you...

Is this a Windows notebook if so what version of Windows?
When you say hang what precisely happens?

Presuming you are on a Windows OS:
What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one like Chrome, Firefox etc and is it the same?
Do you have any firewalls installed like McAfee etc? Disable them all including the inbuilt Windows one.
Is your antivirus up to date try to update the definitions does that program connect to the internet? Run a virus scan
Download spybot and malwarebytes and run scans see do they find anything.
Have you tried safe mode with networking?
As per the previous poster do you have an red x's against your network connection?
Computer help on 20:40 - Jan 30 with 1724 viewsgreyhound

Have you tried hardwiring your laptop into your router just to eliminate any problems from your laptop on a wifi perspective
Computer help on 21:00 - Jan 30 with 1698 viewsDeano69

There were some windows updates causing an issue like this a few weeks back. Think I restored the system back a few days (happy to help further if you still have issues)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Computer help on 23:25 - Jan 30 with 1614 viewsVaughan8

Computer help on 20:30 - Jan 30 by MJallday

It sounds like its not picking up an ip address

If you go into command prompt and type ipconfig, does it give you anything like 169.254.xxx.xxx

Also what does it do if you try pinging www.bbc.co.uk (if you can do tracert www.bbc.co.uk and post it here that would help)

When I ping www.bbc.co.uk it says

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [yyy.58.244.xx] (substituted a few numbers) with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Packets: sent 4, received 0, lost 4.
Computer help on 23:29 - Jan 30 with 1611 viewsVaughan8

Computer help on 20:40 - Jan 30 by WicklowBlue

Some questions for you...

Is this a Windows notebook if so what version of Windows?
When you say hang what precisely happens?

Presuming you are on a Windows OS:
What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one like Chrome, Firefox etc and is it the same?
Do you have any firewalls installed like McAfee etc? Disable them all including the inbuilt Windows one.
Is your antivirus up to date try to update the definitions does that program connect to the internet? Run a virus scan
Download spybot and malwarebytes and run scans see do they find anything.
Have you tried safe mode with networking?
As per the previous poster do you have an red x's against your network connection?

Version: windows 8.1
Tried chrome, Firefox and internet explorer. It hangs as in it tries to load my homepage (google) and it just tries and tries with the mouse cursor going round and round.

Maybe I'll try it in safe mode with networking. See if that works.
Computer help on 23:39 - Jan 30 with 1599 viewsmutters

Have you recently installed anything?

Do you run a VPN?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Computer help on 00:18 - Jan 31 with 1555 viewsVaughan8

Computer help on 23:39 - Jan 30 by mutters

Have you recently installed anything?

Do you run a VPN?

No VPN. Just normal broadband connection.

I have installed anything recently. I don't think I have had a windows update for a few weeks.

I have just restored from a week ago and when it had finished it seems to work now but is this just because it restarted the computer?
Login to get fewer ads

Computer help on 01:48 - Jan 31 with 1503 viewsmutters

Computer help on 00:18 - Jan 31 by Vaughan8

I have installed anything recently. I don't think I have had a windows update for a few weeks.

I have just restored from a week ago and when it had finished it seems to work now but is this just because it restarted the computer?

Without it in front of me, tricky to diagnose. Could be a lot of things that cause this, and the restore might have resolved it.

Post back if it goes wrong again.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Computer help on 01:52 - Jan 31 with 1494 viewsmutters

Computer help on 00:18 - Jan 31 by Vaughan8

Just read more of the info on this thread.

Your firewall could be preventing the data packets being sent out or received, has anything changed with the firewall?

Otherwise could be a ip address conflict. If you can open a command window (Run/cmd) and type

Ipconfig renew

This may should refresh the ip address.

Google ipconfig if you want to understand more before running.

As said in other post, could be a myriad of things, but the things suggested are thing I've personally seen.

Computer help on 08:10 - Jan 31 with 1400 viewsVaughan8

Computer help on 01:52 - Jan 31 by mutters

Just read more of the info on this thread.

Your firewall could be preventing the data packets being sent out or received, has anything changed with the firewall?

Otherwise could be a ip address conflict. If you can open a command window (Run/cmd) and type

Ipconfig renew

This may should refresh the ip address.

Google ipconfig if you want to understand more before running.

As said in other post, could be a myriad of things, but the things suggested are thing I've personally seen.

Thanks.

To be hnrst, I don't like to mess about with things like the firewall because I don't really know what I am doing, do you mean just disable it and see if it works? Nothing I know of has changed with the firewall.

I'll try the in config renew tonight when I get in from work.
Computer help on 08:19 - Jan 31 with 1381 viewsMJallday

Computer help on 08:10 - Jan 31 by Vaughan8

Thanks.

To be hnrst, I don't like to mess about with things like the firewall because I don't really know what I am doing, do you mean just disable it and see if it works? Nothing I know of has changed with the firewall.

I'll try the in config renew tonight when I get in from work.

right, the ping result means basicalyl your not getting a netwrok connection - but the good news is your dns appears to be working. (otherwise when you typed above you wouldnt have put the ip address of the bbc site)

so the problem is most liklely your pc rather than your router/internet connection - but lets confirm that

1) ping your router from your pc. it will usually be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (they vary)

2) we need to know what IP address are you being given, if its a 169.xxx.xx.xx that means your router isnt dishing out the correct DHCP address (or theres an issue with your network setup). to find your ip, do an "ipconfig/all" at dos prompt - hopefull you get a 192.xxx.xxx.xx or similar

4) you can do an ipconfig/release and then an ipconfig/renew - however a reset of both your router and pc should do that anyway (provided youve not fixed your ip address)

let us know how you get on.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024